daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 3rd, 2005, 10:38 AM   #41
Arunava

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney
Telstra Stadium will get it.Its a far superior viewing venue than the MCG and if its up to capacity,then if the NSW government want it bad enough,then they will reinstall the temporary seating and up capacity back up to 112,000 for the World Cup.
Highly unlikely unless someone provides approx 50 mil to demolish the roof over the ends of the ground, construct temp seating, and reconstruct the roof.
Arunava no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM   #42
ncik

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder
Just for the record, Telstra Stadium got the nod for the big World Cup qualifier in November over Melbourne and Brisbane simply because the MCG did not want the match. The MCG will resemble a quarry at that time due to works for next years Commie Games and preparations for the Boxing day test match. The sightlines of Homebush v. MCG are debatable as to which is better. Generally speaking the vast majority of Melbourne's spectators ie. 2nd deck and up are above the action. While at Homebush they are on the ground floor. Personal preference really. If you like to sit above the field, its Melb, if you like to be relatively level and close to the action, Syd.

If a final was going to be played anywhere it would be the MCG, no argument at all. It holds 20,000 more people and is smack bang in the middle of Melbourne,
while Homebush is out in the boondocks of outer Sydney. You need a passport to go that far west. You get a stronger concentration of 'football' fans in Melbourne that can pick up and go to a match easily. In Sydney you need to plan your day out. A lot of this simply comes down to historical planning of the relative cities as well which is not the fault of the Homebush setup at all.
Arguably, they should have demolished the SCG and built that as the Olympic Stadium and it would have been a better situation and been far more useful as a venue to Sydney folk. Melbourne had a 'Homebush scenario' with VFL Park in Mulgrave 25 kms SE of the city in suburbia. Suffice to say, 30 years after it was built, it is now a new subdivision for housing. It didn't really work.
err.. Homebush is smack bang in the heart of the Sydney Metro.

The SCG has no public transport access besides buses. The location isn't very ideal to the whole Sydney Metro, only to the inner city areas and eastern suburbs. That oppose to the Homebush Olympic Park where a high proportion of the population either live closer or have better access to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunava
Highly unlikely unless someone provides approx 50 mil to demolish the roof over the ends of the ground, construct temp seating, and reconstruct the roof.
i reckon they will. Looking at how excited Bob Carr is getting. The Govt. would rather invest in these things rather than public transport, and other logical options.
ncik no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2005, 03:03 PM   #43
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Waverley:Poor public transport..No public transport service
Waverley:Poor design,lack of roof cover,rainbelt region of Melbourne

Thats why Waverley failed...and the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne are robbed of top level AFL.

ncik summed it up perfectly .Homebush is perfectly located for Sydney and smack bang in the centre of the sprawl.

Building an Olympic Stadium at Moore Park wouldve been a transport catastrophe.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:46 PM   #44
Perth4life14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza
^ I'd go as far as saying AFL is more stop start than rugby union or rugby league. As soon as a player is tackled in an AFL match and cannot release the ball, the umpire has to run in and bounce the ball!! It can become very messy at times. Not to mention when a player marks the ball and takes his time to decide where he is going to take his next kick.

Anyway, back on topic, it could only be a good thing for soccer in Australia to host the WC, but i really don't know if it will happen. I would tend to think there isn't a big enough market for a game which, in reality isn't all that popular here.

Just my 2 cents.
lol but its a higher scoring game.

in relation to perth getting a 60,000 venue i dont think it will happen in the next 10 even 20 years because they are expanding members equity stadium to over 30,000 for the new Super 14 rugby team being held here and the soccer aswell, although subi could be a bit bigger for derbies.
Perth4life14 no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2005, 04:23 AM   #45
BobDaBuilder

With Subiaco, they should take a look at what they did in Geelong at Kardinia Park and build a multi tier grandstand on the outer wing with a comparable amount of space.

They could increase capacity by 5,000. Rebuilding the grandstand on the old members side could also increase the cap. to over 50,000.

For mine, Subiaco is too long and should lose 10 metres at either end.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #46
Perth4life14

no they cant build a new grandstand on the members wing, check out how close it is to the road

btw they sort of had plans

heres the render of it

dont know whats happening with it though.
Old July 4th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #47
BobDaBuilder

You could bring up Subiaco to some acceptable level but it will always be limited by space.

Presently it is easily the lousiest main ground used in the AFL. Perthlings will put up with it because a lot of them have not been to the stadiums on the east coast.

There is so much land in Perth, I would be inclined in a decade to pull up stumps and build a new ground elsewhere.

Something that you could stage big soccer and rugby clashes as well as AFL. So you would need some kind of retractable seating arrangement ala Homebush.

The demand might very well go up in the next 10 years if the AFL decides to move to a 30 match home and away season. :

Last edited by BobDaBuilder; July 4th, 2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #48
Perth4life14

yer but you see to us footy followers, subi is the best, but to the people who don't go to subi they don't like it, okay it may be not that well maintained or whatever, but i love it anyway, the walk to the train station after the dockers have won is awesome (when they win) and when they lose its pretty fun two, its right in subiaco which has heeps of bars and clubs and extremely good public transport and close to the city and fremantle, works both ways, i wouldnt wont it anywhere else.
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #49
mikeyraw

I know alot of footy followers who think it isnt up to scratch, in terms of facilites. Your being sentimental, which goes against development, if everyone was like you nothing would get built.

I think if a new perth stadium is to be built, hopefully it uses the Stadium Australia and Docklands approach, meaning it can be converted to a rectangle. I dont think it will, the Afl has too much influence. Most world cups involve the construction of 50 percent completely new football stadiums, the same would happen in Australia.
mikeyraw no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #50
Perth4life14

thats probably because all your footy follower friends are stuck up c-nts like you are.
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #51
mikeyraw

Or maybe they are over the age of 14, with a mental age of +10. What does a football world cup in Australia have to do with you, its such a low scoring sport and all.
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #52
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

But a much more exciting one.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #53
mikeyraw

Exactly.. I was being sarcastic, thats a common argument from football bashers in Australia.
Old July 9th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #54
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Are u refering to aussie rules or Soccer?
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #55
mikeyraw

"Soccer".
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:23 PM   #56
michal-skoczen

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw
"Soccer".
For me it's a great idea. Every other continent had or will have WC, but no Oceania Africa in 2010 'n' Sth America in 2014 so why don't organise the next one in Austaralia or Australia-New Zeland. I don't think that any other county will be able to make a serious bid. Imagine for e.g. Fiji-Salomon Isl WC 2012 . Australia and New Zeland are well developed countries with good stadiums and infrastructure.

BTW Idea of moving Australia from OFC to AFA sucks. If Australia is placed in Oceania why should play as an asian country. There is no other thing like that in whole world except Israel and central Asia countries but Israel hasbeen moved because of !!safety!!, not to makie it easier way to WC. Central asian countries like Kazakhstan etc should be in AFA, but they play in UEFA because of they had been a fart of Soviet Union which has been an european country. I think Australia should stay in OFC.

Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:37 AM   #57
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

I say they stick OZ in Asia's rotation, since there aren't many Asian countries that can stage a WC.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2005, 03:21 AM   #58
BobDaBuilder

From Jan 1. we are in the Asian rotation. It will be between Korea, China, Japan and Oz out of the nations that could potentially host it.

If you are a supporter Oz would be the best location because you could actually have half a shot of getting to see games for a reasonable price.

Gotta be staged in Nov/Dec however.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:23 PM   #59
Mac
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perth4life14
thats probably because all your footy follower friends are stuck up c-nts like you are.

Your that prick thats been banned numerous times for being a troll....keep it up and you will be gone again.
Mac no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #60
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Doesn't seem like a bad idea. The US hosted the World Cup, and it's not the #1 sport (4th or 5th nationwide, maybe 2nd in some markets with lots of Latinos), and there were games all over the country, which is about the same size as Australia. I don't think Japan or Korea are soccer-mad either, come to think of it.

Why is rugby so popular in Queensland and NSW, while AFL more popular elsewhere?
samsonyuen no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup