daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #6041
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

Saw an article in Metro today saying that the ethics committee are fast tracking the investigation to prove this allegations wrong.

That last bit was a quote not opinion. Completely wrong - they should be investigating the root cause of the allegations not trying to sweep them under the carpet because you never know - whoever informed Triesman could have been on to something.
Luke80 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #6042
RobH

Likes (Received): 10316

Quote:
Who knows theoretically this might even have a much bigger impact on the whole bid than most here expect. the outcome is probably extremely unpredictable for non insiders like us here whithout any solid information facts etc.
Unless there is evidence that Spain and/or Russia have been doing underhand dealings (which I think is extremely unlikely) I think it's easy to predict that nothing will come of this investigation.

Spain and Russia will almost certainly be cleared of any wrongdoing, and England will at most get a slap on the wrist and told to be more careful. I don't see how it could be any other way.
RobH no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #6043
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Unless there is evidence that Spain and/or Russia have been doing underhand dealings (which I think is extremely unlikely) I think it's easy to predict that nothing will come of this investigation.

Spain and Russia will almost certainly be cleared of any wrongdoing, and England will at most get a slap on the wrist and told to be more careful. I don't see how it could be any other way.
Yes that's a very likely outcome, of course and I would also guess it's probably just going to be exactly that in the end.

But, if you look at it like this:
-Why would Triesman tell someone else in a purely private conversation (thats what he thought it was) that Spain and Russia are doing underhand deals?

There are basically two diferent reasons:
- a) he just made it all up, just like that, for whatever reason, who nows why ...to impress or because he is upset about something or whatever reason why people would tell dirty lies to disgrace other contetstants.
or
-b) because there are rumours spreading around internally in the organisation that these things are in fact happening.

If a) is the case then it's rather likely this private conversation was not the only time he mentioned things like that and then it probably shouldn't be all to difficult to get enough evidence or indications that Triesman or maybe even also other FA members or officials have been running kind of a little dirt-campaign against the other contestants Spain and Russia. And that could in fact really lead to trouble for the english bid if anything like that were revealed in thorough investigations.
If b) were the case then those ongoing rumours within the FIFA would have to be investigated and who knows what results that might bring up then. And if the rumors should in fact really do have some true background, then it's probably not even all that unlikely that someone hands over documents or information to the press or the FIFA Ethic Committee. It wouldn't be anything unusual if more came up in that case, if there were some truth to Triesman's allegations.

Of course it would also depend on how thoroughly all this is being investigated. And who knows what the FIFA Ethic Committee would really like to find out and what rather not? It could be that like Luke80 suggests they might just be trying to sweep it under the carpet quickly, so no harm to the FIFA is done. Might on the other hand also be the case that they take these things extremely seriously and investigate very throroughly and they just don't want to say anything wrong or misinterpretable in public before they have any rock solid evidences.
It's all pure speculation at this point basically. Fun yes, but basically just kinda like fortune telling from what we have here so far.

Last edited by Alemanniafan; May 19th, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
Alemanniafan no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #6044
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
AFL vs FIFA. Good Luck!
If FIFA is serious about getting the WC in Australia, then they will respect us, acknowledge the constraints and accept the other venues on offer.

After all, it's the AFL that's giving up 6 venues, FIFA should commend them for making what is understandably a tough decision. The deals have been signed, FIFA should respect them and not ask for 1 measly stadium just because it's 50k, retractable seating and has a roof.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #6045
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
If FIFA is serious about getting the WC in Australia, then they will respect us, acknowledge the constraints and accept the other venues on offer.

After all, it's the AFL that's giving up 6 venues, FIFA should commend them for making what is understandably a tough decision. The deals have been signed, FIFA should respect them and not ask for 1 measly stadium just because it's 50k, retractable seating and has a roof.
Erm.. sorry.. but what? Why should FIFA care? There are plenty of other countries who will host it according to rules if you don't want to. FIFA doesn't need to bring anything to Australia, its Australia that wants to bring World Cup there. So play by the rules..
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #6046
RobH

Australia will offer what it can offer. It can't offer stadiums whose owners don't agree. If FIFA wants a world cup in Australia they'll overlook one stadium being left out and perhaps wrangle with the Australian organising committee over the exact stadium plan in the coming years. If they don't want a world cup in Australia they simply won't pick them.
RobH no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #6047
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post

Boy oh boy. Good Luck with that.

It has a roof. This makes sense in winter. IF FIFA want the stadium FIFA will get the stadium.

If they don't they just won't bother.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #6048
Livno80101
studying

Likes (Received): 3

I just dont understand all that crap around AFL vs FIFA... FIFA World Cup is biggest sporting event one country can host... so, if there is necessity, that AFL league can be shortened, or some match days can be moved,so it starts like 3/4 weeks before planned (like last week of February) and finished in late September (so you will get 6 weeks free, for stadiums to be used in WC to be prepared)

or matches can be played simultaneously with WC, but played on smaller stadiums (why those must be played in 50-60-90k stadiums ??? )

or, if you want to, you can just give up, and let America host that event
Livno80101 no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #6049
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
Erm.. sorry.. but what? Why should FIFA care? There are plenty of other countries who will host it according to rules if you don't want to. FIFA doesn't need to bring anything to Australia, its Australia that wants to bring World Cup there. So play by the rules..
+1
A desparate attempt for one and seems like have mercy give us the World Cup.

Now with undertable arrangements being restricted.
OZ may not be able to pull out something like Sydney 2000.

Remember, Manchester and Sydney had a deal, who ever looses before the final round shall divert all their support to the remaining of the two in competition.
Still Sydney just won by just 2 votes.
Juan Samarach later said, had it been a tie he would have been a fix to cast his deciding vote.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #6050
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

I really don't see this as a FIFA vs AFL thing. I just see it as ill thought out words of some Australian posters. Most in Australia are a little more realistic and are very aware that if FIFA foresee venue difficulty that can easily choose another bid which may very well be superior anyway.

Though there is no guarantee of Australia winning the 2022 in such a tight race but if we lose, rightly or wrongly the AFL will be the scapegoat.
Walbanger está en línea ahora  
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #6051
aaronaugi1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Boy oh boy. Good Luck with that.

It has a roof. This makes sense in winter. IF FIFA want the stadium FIFA will get the stadium.

If they don't they just won't bother.
Etihad isn't exactly the perfect venue for football anyway. I don't see why they would push so hard for a venue that is only 56k and still doesn't offer that great of viewing conditions.

Although it may be winter, the weather probably only going to impact matches in Sydney and Canberra.

I get the impression that while it is cold in Melbourne and Geelong, it doesn't actually rain as much in winter periods compared to Sydney.

I know Hobart is actually drier than Perth. Much colder, but drier because of its location.
aaronaugi1 no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #6052
shabangabang
Why Try Harder

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by kichigai View Post
Australia's Bid Stadiums

http://www.australia2018-2022.com.au..._stadiums.aspx

Stadium Australia - Sydney

Sydney Football Stadium

Blacktown Stadium

MCG

Brisbane Stadium

Perth Stadium

Adelaide Oval

Gold Coast Stadium

Newcastle Stadium

Canberra Stadium

Geelong Stadium

Townsville Stadium

Semi Finals for Perth, Melbourne and Sydney.

Townsville, Gold Coast, Canberra, Geelong, Newcastle, Blacktown all feature temporary seating and will have reduced capacity post World Cup.
Does it honestly look like we need Etihad stadium? Stuff the AFL. Let them play in an empty stadium while the rest of Australia watches some of the best athletes in the world do their thing.
shabangabang no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #6053
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Is the Geelong stadium planned to have similar movable seating to Etihad? that would be great. Then it would have a legacy usage for Football (soccer) into the future. The only issue with the Geelong stadium idea I see is the fact that the existing stand is being kept. Makes it look weird, but I understand that it is a stand built not long ago so it is hardly worthwhile getting rid of it.

The bids new stadiums at Blacktown, Canberra and Perth will all provide great legacies for the future, although the Western Sydney venue is likely to be underused and struggle as much as ANZ stadium has after the event.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #6054
shabangabang
Why Try Harder

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
Is the Geelong stadium planned to have similar movable seating to Etihad? that would be great. Then it would have a legacy usage for Football (soccer) into the future. The only issue with the Geelong stadium idea I see is the fact that the existing stand is being kept. Makes it look weird, but I understand that it is a stand built not long ago so it is hardly worthwhile getting rid of it.

The bids new stadiums at Blacktown, Canberra and Perth will all provide great legacies for the future, although the Western Sydney venue is likely to be underused and struggle as much as ANZ stadium has after the event.
From what I have read the Blacktown stadium is going to have its capacity reduced to 27k after the world cup.
It will be the home ground of the new Western Sydney A-League team.
It will also make a good increased capacity venue for Penrith and/or Parramatta to host matches. It will certainly be well used.
shabangabang no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #6055
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronaugi1 View Post
Etihad isn't exactly the perfect venue for football anyway. I don't see why they would push so hard for a venue that is only 56k and still doesn't offer that great of viewing conditions.

Although it may be winter, the weather probably only going to impact matches in Sydney and Canberra.

I get the impression that while it is cold in Melbourne and Geelong, it doesn't actually rain as much in winter periods compared to Sydney.

I know Hobart is actually drier than Perth. Much colder, but drier because of its location.
I'm sure the viewing conditions are better than the MCG...or not?

I'm not suggesting FIFA will definitely want the venue or even get it.
I'm only stating that if FIFA want the venue, as the tournament is during winter, they will get it.

If they feel its unnecessary to grab it, then they won't. The roof ensures 5-8 matches without the impact of the winter weather.

Its just better for broadcasters, sponsors and viewers around the world...
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #6056
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronaugi1 View Post

Melbourne has more rainy days in June than Sydney on average.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_066062.shtml
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_086071.shtml

Etihad stadium would be far more appealing for FIFA, fans and the organising commitee than anything in Geelong.
1) Roof
2) Bigger capacity
3) In Melbourne therefore no need for fans to travel to Geelong. Easier for fans and easier for organising transport.
4) Plenty of room for FIFA media circus tents next door.
5) Prime location which Victorian State and Council is trying, and arguably failing, in developing into an attractive tourist precinct. It needs investment and exposure and what better to do that than the WC?!
6) FFA and federal and state governments would prefer shots like this:

Over shots like this:

To answer Mo, Etihad has better site lines than the MCG Im pretty sure. Smaller pitch so closer to action and steeper stands. Of course it also has retractable seating. All round better venue than "the G".

I certainly hope the FFA is just using the geelong stadium in the bid book and are hoping for Etihad to be used. Id be perfectly happy for the AFL to be using this whole thing as a means to get the state gov to invest in Kardinia park and then say "ahh **** it, just take Etihad coz we're not using it anyway!"

Anyone got any news on whether the AFL and NRL would be running during the cup?
I've read assurances from the government that the competitions will surely continue, though I dont know whether to take them seriously or not.
woozoo está en línea ahora  
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #6057
Matthew Lowry

Likes (Received): 4

2018 Russia
2022 USA
2026 Australia
2030 Uruguay and Argentina
2034 Japan
2038 Mexico
Matthew Lowry no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #6058
niftim

Likes (Received): 2035

Russia!
niftim no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #6059
RobH

LOL, so Europe's going to go 5 cycles without getting the world cup is it Matthew? Your lists get funnier and funner!
RobH no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #6060
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

2018 England/Russia
2022 United States
2026 Asia (China, Korea, Japan, Australia)
2030 England/Russia/Italy/Spain
2034 Argentina
2038 Egypt

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup