daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:32 PM   #6101
Attraction

Russia!!!
Attraction no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM   #6102
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
London's stadium is a much tighter bowl than past Olympic stadiums.
Looking at the diagramm you postet, I seriuosly doubt it's tighter or even as tight than the Olympiastadion in Berlin.
It theoretically still might be on average, but only if the stands are really very steep, since the stands in Berlin are in fact rather shallow,
but the distance from the stands to the pitch sure does look quite a lot bigger to me when I compare the pictures of the Olympiastadion in Berlin
to the diagram and the pics of the Olympic Stadium in London. (especially along the sidelines the distances seem to be quite noticeably bigger.
The interior of the Olympic stadium looks like a much wider oval than in Berlin to me.)

(http://www.lowvision2.de/fussball/o_stadion.jpg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post

Last edited by Alemanniafan; May 23rd, 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Alemanniafan no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:19 PM   #6103
BS3_RED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemanniafan View Post
Looking at the diagramm you postet, I seriuosly doubt it's tighter or even as tight than the Olympiastadion in Berlin.
It theoretically still might be on average, but only if the stands are really very steep, since the stands in Berlin are in fact rather shallow,
but the distance from the stands to the pitch sure does look quite a lot bigger to me when I compare the pictures of the Olympiastadion in Berlin
to the diagram and the pics of the Olympic Stadium in London. (especially along the sidelines the distances seem to be quite noticeably bigger.
The interior of the Olympic stadium looks like a much wider oval than in Berlin to me.)

(http://www.lowvision2.de/fussball/o_stadion.jpg)
What stadium is the 2nd pic?
BS3_RED no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:39 PM   #6104
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Top pic: Berlin Olympic stadium
Bottom pic: London Olympic stadium
RobH no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #6105
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
As commented earlier, the host choice of a FIFA World Cup is not about stadiums. However, stadium-wise, Australia's bid is really underwhelming. FIFA will certainly have objections regarding the oval stadiums, especially MCG.

All Brazilian ovals apart from Beira-Rio will get their fields lowered in order to bring the stands closer to the action. Even Maracanã had their project rejected because of it. This is, by the way, a pre-requisite for the opening game, final and semifinals: as widely discussed in the Brazilian forum, FIFA sells the lower-tier seats for the highest prices, which is why they need them to be close to the field. That's the reason why Jerome Valcke will certainly have problems with the MCG project and any other stadium that expects to host quarterfinals and beyond.
There is only 1 genuine oval stadium in Australias 2018/2022 bid and thats the MCG,which can be excused because it seats 100,000.
Im not sure what point your making.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #6106
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4158

2018 - England;
2022 - Qatar or Australia;
Cauê no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #6107
Chimbanha

Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
There is only 1 genuine oval stadium in Australias 2018/2022 bid and thats the MCG,which can be excused because it seats 100,000.
Im not sure what point your making.
Only 1 oval? What about the Gold Coast stadium?

My point is that my country is organizing a World Cup right now and, trust me, there isn't a lot of things that can be excused to stadiums that intend to host semifinals of the World Cup. Maracanã (which by the way looks a lot like MCG) had its field lowered in 3m in 2007 and it may have to be lowered again (unless it is physically impossible, as it seems to be right now). Considering the MCG is probably holding the final too, FIFA will probably demand, aside from the field lowering, an extension of the roof (like Maracanã is doing).

Truth is, and South Africans will agree with me, if FIFA chooses a country as host they're not accepting automatically all stadium proposals.
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:15 AM   #6108
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Quote:

My point is that my country is organizing a World Cup right now and, trust me, there isn't a lot of things that can be excused to stadiums that intend to host semifinals of the World Cup. Maracanã (which by the way looks a lot like MCG) had its field lowered in 3m in 2007 and it may have to be lowered again (unless it is physically impossible, as it seems to be right now). Considering the MCG is probably holding the final too, FIFA will probably demand, aside from the field lowering, an extension of the roof (like Maracanã is doing).

Truth is, and South Africans will agree with me, if FIFA chooses a country as host they're not accepting automatically all stadium proposals.
True..and that will happen.There is no doubt Bid Book stadiums vary dramatically from actual.
You point stemmed from that fact that Australia's bid was underwhelming due to the amount of "oval stadiums".

I made a point that there is only one real oval stadium and that was the MCG.The rest are either rectangle or reconfigured rectangle.
Yes..that may change,but only for the better.There will certainly no further oval stadiums on the final list.
As for the MCG..There is a huge difference between it and the Maracana.First thing..its modern..the Maracana..isnt..and thats why FIFA has put high demands on it.The MCG is built in 2 parts...the Southern stand built in 1992 and the northern stand built in 2006...Apart from internal refits and some new seats,the Maracana is really the same venue as it was 50 years ago.Thats not to say the MCG wont be upgraded before 2022.Maybe a new roof..Im not sure.The ground certainly will not be lowered considering its major tenant is the Australian Football League.
As for the Final,its common knowledge that if Australia wins 2018/2022,the the Final will be played at the 88,000 seat Sydney Olympic stadium.
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #6109
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Quote:

Reconfigured rectangle...Certainly not an oval.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:00 AM   #6110
Welsh American

Likes (Received): 0

England in 2018
USA in 2022

End of story
Welsh American no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:06 AM   #6111
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Although a US WC would be dramatically different to 1994, Australia is a new frontier and has much more to offer (even if legacy is a weak point in term of post WC stadium use) than the Yanks do.
California has 15 million more people than your whole country and we don't play on ovals.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:06 AM   #6112
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh American View Post
England in 2018
USA in 2022

End of story
England wait 52 years and the USA get it again after hosting in 1994?

Forget it...

Australia 2022!!
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #6113
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Also, I think that FIFA doesn't want to keep China from hosting until 2034 at the earliest so they stay away from Australia so China can host 2026 or 2030.
Exactly.

I love Australia, but unfortunately for them China is the popular new kid on the block.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #6114
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
England wait 52 years and the USA get it again after hosting in 1994?

Forget it...

Australia 2022!!
agree
Will be good
2018 Benelux or Russia
2022 Austraila
crazyalex no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #6115
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

If China wants, then they should probably bid?
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #6116
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
I agree..You cant go on who "may" bid..There were rumours China were going to bid for 2018 or 2022.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...id-971898.html

So what are we supposed to do.Discount all REAL bids for 2018/2022 in the faint hope that China "may" bid for 2026 or do we end up in the same situation where China pull out of the race..

Stuff China..They either bid or they dont...Simple as that.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #6117
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
They chose a Winter Olympics bids over a World Cup bid this time around, but have said that they would like to host a World Cup soon. FIFA will be sure to make sure they can host as soon as China bids.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #6118
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
They chose a Winter Olympics bids over a World Cup bid this time around,
Wow!..That will impress FIFA!
As I said before..Stuff them..They are either bidding or they are not...
They are currently NOT bidding
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #6119
Chimbanha

Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
As for the MCG..There is a huge difference between it and the Maracana.First thing..its modern..the Maracana..isnt..and thats why FIFA has put high demands on it.The MCG is built in 2 parts...the Southern stand built in 1992 and the northern stand built in 2006...Apart from internal refits and some new seats,the Maracana is really the same venue as it was 50 years ago.Thats not to say the MCG wont be upgraded before 2022.Maybe a new roof..Im not sure.The ground certainly will not be lowered considering its major tenant is the Australian Football League.
As for the Final,its common knowledge that if Australia wins 2018/2022,the the Final will be played at the 88,000 seat Sydney Olympic stadium.
Well, and what's the point of being modern if the stands are a kilometer away from the pitch and the stadium has no roof? FIFA doesn't care about looks and modernity. Morumbi is probably getting our opening game even though it's our ugliest stadium in the bid. My experience with our WC preparations show that, in order of importance to FIFA:
1 - Visibility
2 - Security (esp. evacuation)
3 - Comfort (e.g. roof)
4 - Outside space (esp. for opening and final venues)
5 - Looks/modernity, etc.

And, because of that:

A - MCG is not going to hold 100,000 expectators. All the seats that exceed the pitch-distance guidelines (90m distance to the center of the pitch and 190m to the farthest corner) will not be utilized - Maracanã will lose more than 10,000 seats due to this guideline, and, considering the pitch looks much farther in MCG, I think it will lose much more. I think Wembley and the Olympic Stadium in London would lose some seats too.

B - Maracanã will have to eliminate all the parts at which a superior tier covers an inferior one, reconstructing the lower tier with the same inclination as the upper one. Morumbi even had to get rid of their intermediate tier in order to obey to this guideline, and I think it's pretty much the only solution to the MCG.

I'm not bullying Australia or anything, it's just that this is the bid at which I'm focused now. I mean, don't even get me started on the English stadiums and they fact that are located in the middle of the city with virtual no breathing space.

It's just that you guys that are out of the hosting process have no idea of how picky FIFA can be and how there is no such thing as compromise in their book. The first thing after a country is elected hosts is to sign an agreement at which the host countries agree to follow all the FIFA guidelines - and FIFA makes sure to use every possible type of pressure in order to make it happen.

If Brazil is going through all this stadium remodelling when it was pretty much the only option FIFA had, imagine what will happen to the hosts of the 2018 and 2022 Word Cups, which will be picked among a dozen of contenders.

Last edited by Chimbanha; May 24th, 2010 at 06:40 AM.
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #6120
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Wow!..That will impress FIFA!
As I said before..Stuff them..They are either bidding or they are not...
They are currently NOT bidding
What impresses FIFA is the money. They could care less about the rest of it. China is a moneymaker. They are going to bid and Australia, while a nice bid and one that I think would go very well, isn't lucrative enough to push China back.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup