daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 24th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #6141
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Ah, I see. Its all one gradient. Thats dumb.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #6142
oleg-wic

Likes (Received): 35

Only Russia!
oleg-wic no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #6143
Chimbanha

Likes (Received): 1965

Dumb enough to cause 1/3 of the Brazilian stadiums in the WC to spend some extra $100 million in the reconstruction of a tier...
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #6144
magic_johnson

Likes (Received): 3

The view is fine from the back of level 1 (the bit underneath level 2). Probably better than the front, and it's under cover.
magic_johnson no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #6145
magic_johnson

Likes (Received): 3

The view is fine from the back of level 1 (the bit underneath level 2). Probably better than the front, and it's under cover.
magic_johnson no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #6146
Bogus Law

Likes (Received): 1

since Australia is regarded as one of the favourites to host WC 2022 I'm wondering why there still isn't a separate thread for their bid
Bogus Law no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #6147
BS3_RED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Top pic: Berlin Olympic stadium
Bottom pic: London Olympic stadium
It was the bottom one i was not sure about. Its the first time i have seen a pic of the inside of it.
BS3_RED no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #6148
canarywondergod

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus Law View Post
since Australia is regarded as one of the favourites to host WC 2022 I'm wondering why there still isn't a separate thread for their bid
What like this one

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...983768&page=14
canarywondergod no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #6149
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemanniafan View Post
Looking at the diagramm you postet, I seriuosly doubt it's tighter or even as tight than the Olympiastadion in Berlin.
It theoretically still might be on average, but only if the stands are really very steep, since the stands in Berlin are in fact rather shallow,
but the distance from the stands to the pitch sure does look quite a lot bigger to me when I compare the pictures of the Olympiastadion in Berlin
to the diagram and the pics of the Olympic Stadium in London. (especially along the sidelines the distances seem to be quite noticeably bigger.
The interior of the Olympic stadium looks like a much wider oval than in Berlin to me.)
By far the London & berlin Olympic Stadia are much closer than the MCG to the field of play.

Why cannot OZ try build a new one if they ever wanna make this a successful bid or try project ANZ Sydney to be their Final Venue?

Coming to FIFA standards:
1. Overlapping Stands causing visbility issue for the covered lower stand:
It is more soothing to watch from the last rows of the lower tier with cover overhead.
2. Roof requirements for most of the capacity:
Well, if the event is held in Summer and in the floodnight matches, then one need not worry either about the incessant rain (As in England during most of the season) or hot sunny weather (As in Perth or Doha or even Melbourne).
Hence, enormous money wastage on mandatory requirements of the above two need to be relaxed so that the leagcy of the event continues.

The bidding associations should be given the following relaxations:
1. Maximum 2 or 3 stadia below the rquired 45K limit, but within 35 to 40K.
Others to comply the complete spec of FIFA.
2. Maximum 5 or 6 stadia with 50% roof coverage. Rest should comply the complete spec of FIFA.
3. Maximum 2 or 3 stadia with overlapping tier without support hindrance for view. Rest should comply the complete spec of FIFA.
4. Maximum 2 or 3 Stadia with file of view not more than 30 mtrs from the sidelines/not more than 35 mtrs behind the goal posts.
The above four relaxations can only be applied to a maximum of 50% of the stadia that shall be the final hosts.

This would enable the following:
1. Having the games in serene scenic spots like in Swiz/French Alps with the backdrop of the beautiful mountains.
2. Lesser Monetary strain on the city and legacy of the event.
3. Opportunity for lesser cosmopolitan but beautiful cities to be the hosts.

Last edited by antriksh_sfo; May 26th, 2010 at 08:18 AM.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #6150
Bogus Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by canarywondergod View Post
ups, sorry
it's not on this list:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=651017
that's why somehow I missed it
Bogus Law no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #6151
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

Quote:
By far the London & berlin Olympic Stadia are much closer than the MCG to the fiel of play.

Why cannot OZ try build a new one if they ever wanna make this a successful bid or try project ANZ Sydney to be their Final Venue?
Well not really. The London and & Berlin Stadiums are narrower than the MCG but far longer. The london Stadium has similar dimensions to the AFL longest ground Subiaco Oval but even then Subi is shorter.

As for building an new large Rectangle Stadium, I assume you mean one in Melbourne. Not going to happen when there is no demand for one. The have just finished building AAMI Park across the tracks from the MCG which at 31000 seats is totally appropriate for the rectangle football codes of Melbourne. Any one off larger events get moved to Etihad Stadium and use the moveable seating. Stadiums are hugely expensive to build and in Australia most rely heavily on Government contribution which makes them very political not the mention the expense of labour in Australia.

In most peoples minds ANZ Stadium was always going to host the final if Australia wins the bid. Its ends will be rebuilt as movable tiers so a proper rectangle can be formed and seating boosted to 90 000. The MCG will only have 5000 more sellable seats than ANZ. The Football Federation Australia (FFA) is very Sydney centric anyway so at the most, the opening would be at the MCG.

Quote:
It is more soothign to watch from the last rows of the lower tier with cover overhead.
Well, if the event is held in Summer and in the night, then one need not worry either about the incessant rain (As in England during most of the season) or hot sunny weather (As in Melbourne or Doha).
Hence, enormous money wastage on mandatory requirements of the above two need to be relaxed so that the leagcy of the event continues.

2. Maximum 5 or 6 stadia with 50% roof coverage. Rest should comply the complete spec of FIFA.
3. Maximum 3 or 4 stadia with overlapping tier without support hindrance for view. Rest should comply the complete spec of FIFA.

The above three relaxations can applied to a maximum of 50% of the stadia that shall be the final hosts.

1. Having the games in serene scenic spots like in Swiz/French Alps with the backdrop of the beautiful mountains.
I agree with most of what you have said.
People seem to be obsessed with Roofs especially in this forum. The reality is many places just don't need them. Also many roofless stadiums especially in the USA would house the FIFA officials in covered boxes and suites so they are sheltered anyway.

As for "Overlapping" stands, if sight is limited then that's just bad design. Doesn't happen in any stadiums I've been to and Australia mostly has multi-tiered stadiums. If its a matter of seeing the whole field but not the high kicked balls because of the above balcony then I'd have more of a problem with the inclined roofs of some of the English Stadiums such as Old Trafford.

Agree with the rest.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #6152
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

I hate to dissapoint you but a recent email I recieved from FFA said MCG is 90% chance of hositng the final.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #6153
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
By far the London & berlin Olympic Stadia are much closer than the MCG to the field of play.

It is more soothing to watch from the last rows of the lower tier with cover overhead.
Well, if the event is held in Summer and in the floodnight matches, then one need not worry either about the incessant rain (As in England during most of the season) or hot sunny weather (As in Perth or Doha or even Melbourne).

3. Maximum 2 or 3 stadia with overlapping tier without support hindrance for view. Rest should comply the complete spec of FIFA.
4. Maximum 2 or 3 Stadia with file of view not more than 30 mtrs from the sidelines/not more than 35 mtrs behind the goal posts.
The above four relaxations can only be applied to a maximum of 50% of the stadia that shall be the final hosts.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tour...ts_en_8211.pdf
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #6154
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Well not really. The London and & Berlin Stadiums are narrower than the MCG but far longer. The london Stadium has similar dimensions to the AFL longest ground Subiaco Oval but even then Subi is shorter.

As for building an new large Rectangle Stadium, I assume you mean one in Melbourne. Not going to happen when there is no demand for one. The have just finished building AAMI Park across the tracks from the MCG which at 31000 seats is totally appropriate for the rectangle football codes of Melbourne. Any one off larger events get moved to Etihad Stadium and use the moveable seating. Stadiums are hugely expensive to build and in Australia most rely heavily on Government contribution which makes them very political not the mention the expense of labour in Australia.

In most peoples minds ANZ Stadium was always going to host the final if Australia wins the bid. Its ends will be rebuilt as movable tiers so a proper rectangle can be formed and seating boosted to 90 000. The MCG will only have 5000 more sellable seats than ANZ. The Football Federation Australia (FFA) is very Sydney centric anyway so at the most, the opening would be at the MCG.

I agree with most of what you have said.
People seem to be obsessed with Roofs especially in this forum. The reality is many places just don't need them. Also many roofless stadiums especially in the USA would house the FIFA officials in covered boxes and suites so they are sheltered anyway.

As for "Overlapping" stands, if sight is limited then that's just bad design. Doesn't happen in any stadiums I've been to and Australia mostly has multi-tiered stadiums. If its a matter of seeing the whole field but not the high kicked balls because of the above balcony then I'd have more of a problem with the inclined roofs of some of the English Stadiums such as Old Trafford.

Agree with the rest.
FIFA does not require a roof to cover the stadium except for cover over the media areas on the upper tier of the grand stand i.e. the west tribune.

Thats all.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #6155
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post

I hate to dissapoint you but a recent email I recieved from FFA said MCG is 90% chance of hositng the final.
LOL.....
yeh right
Lets see it

Even Melbourne's Herald Sun is conceding Sydney for the Final
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nat...-1225809786849

Last edited by ExSydney; May 26th, 2010 at 03:27 PM.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #6156
antonshutin

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftim View Post
Russia. Why? Because WC will give powerful spur to infrastructure development: building of new modern arenas, a construction of roads, hotels, the airports, railway stations, inflow of tourists, qualitatively other image of Russia as the countries.
+100

looking at all russian newspapers, i am 99% sure that WC 2018 will be in my lovely country
antonshutin no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #6157
antonshutin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe710 View Post
Ps: Someone said that Portugal/Spain is really out... What to say about South Africa (2010) and Brazil (2014)? I preferee to see match in that kind of condition that be frezzing. That's why I not support Russia. The low temperatures don't help.
It seems that you was grown on stereotypes
remember for the whole life
Russia-no bears on the streets
winter-cold
summer-hot
vodka-not for everyone
antonshutin no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #6158
No1

Likes (Received): 1205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizmo1337 View Post

That said, I think England deserve it more. Spain/Portugal would be nice aswell, great culture, great weather, great people, great cities, great for camping, just perfect. Russia, please... just no. They are worse in every social-eco aspect compared to Spain or England. Worse cities (in general, I know moscow & St Petersburg r nice), same or worse climate, worse infrastructure, fans not as friendy as in spain/england, too big distances, racism problem(?), not sure if the camping would be as good as in spain/england, difficult to reach cities outside moscow, too many socio-economic problems within society, first time that they bid and could go on and on. Just throwing some money at it is not enough.

And the trolls on this thread don't really change my attitude (allthough I shouldn't use this as an argument).

I have nothing against Russia, I just think a World Cup would be better in England or Spain. Maybe Russia in 2026.
England has a huge economic problems. No one knows how it will look like in 2018.
Russia is open a fast railway line (over 250 km /h) Moscow-St. Petersburg and Moscow-Novgorod and it is planned to the south, Sochi, because of the 2014 Winter Olympics.
So the Russian infrastructure is rapidly developing. Unlike English, massive budget cutting in England. Huge budget deficit.
Nederland and Russia have best economic conditions. But Nederland problems is political problems in Belgium.
Spain and Portugal is like England, huge economic problems.
Distance not problem, city candidates are in European parts of Russia except Yekaterinbuirg but that is border with Siberia.
Climate during summers is better than in England, more sun. Especial in russian south, on Black sea coast.

Last edited by No1; May 26th, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
No1 no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #6159
RobH

Likes (Received): 10325

No reason to believe the economy will still be in a sticky patch by 2018, and nor does that preclude hosting a big event anyway. Don't forget the preparations for the 2012 Olympics have been ongoing throughout the recession, and have been going well despite it. Besides which, our world cup bid uses mostly existing stadiums and those which aren't existing are built by the clubs, not the government.
RobH no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #6160
AILD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33321
AILD no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup