daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #6221
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Sounds more like the work of Mr Bean.
RobH no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #6222
hugenholz

Likes (Received): 430

Fifa rules don't allow bidbooks being published. Only Fifa-members are allowed to own the bidbooks
hugenholz no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #6223
stevensp

Likes (Received): 64

so when will things get more clear about who keeps being in the running?

+ more project updates will be posted soon!
stevensp no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #6224
TheoG

Likes (Received): 1

Hard to tell, at the moment it seems to be between England and Russia for 2018 and USA and Australia for 2022, but no clear order has quite been established yet.
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #6225
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

England vs Russia 2018 and Australia vs Qatar 2022, not USA definitely.
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #6226
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
England vs Russia 2018 and Australia vs Qatar 2022, not USA definitely.
Reasons ? The possible down parts for their bid would be long distances and host of '94, however '94 proved record high ticket sales, so i am not really sure really.

Korea and Japan are definitely off, but its a clash for Australia, Qatar and USA. for 2022
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #6227
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

It will be out of the USA and Australia for 2022. They have larger markets and their bids are better suited to the events size and scale than Qaatr would be. The US has its advantages in the amount of economic return, but is hampered by the fact it has hosted the event within the last 20 years. If FIFA overlook that, the WC is theres. If they try and fight for 2018, I see a lot of European votes going elsewhere. Its politics afterall.

Qatar are behind, likely at the same level as Japan and Sth Korea. All the postivity in the world does not gloss over the deficiencies in Qatar's bid.

There will be an Arab WC, and I would love to go to it, but the fact that there was no inititive to go for a joint bid with the UAE does not give the Qatar bid enough size or scale. Join up for a future bid and we could very likely see the first Arab WC occur.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #6228
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Will the Yanks be willing to add roofs to their open air stadiums should they win their bid? Or will they just add a small roof section to cover the press?
Lord David no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #6229
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

No, no roofs it very well may kill the bid given how utterly essential roofs are that soccer has never not been played without one.
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #6230
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

I think FIFA requires media sections are roofed
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #6231
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoG View Post
I agree with you in the sense that I don't think Australia and the other asian countries should be discounted just due their proximity to China, but I think a couple of members of FIFA will maybe think about this when choosing who to vote, with regards to them getting as big a pension as possible as quickly as possible.

The Chinese are more intersted in football than they ever have been, and they're interest is growing. Live matches from the Premiership, Serie A and the Bundesliga are shown on free to air TV - we don't even get live matches from our own league free in Britain, let alone leagues from half way around the world. Many idolise players that they see on TV - shirts with names like Rooney, Ronaldo etc. sell by the million. Their national team is the most supported in the world, despite not much success.

Imagine the hype that a world cup in China would cause - you saw how many turned up to events at the Olympics - even more people would turn up to the world cup, with it being spread over the whole nation. Couple that with the size of the stadiums over there - China have 10 stadiums built in the last fifteen years with a capacity of 60k or over, a number only beaten by the Americans. Without doubt, these stadiums will be 95% full or more every match, be it for Algeria vs New Zealand or Brazil vs Argentina. That would result in a lot more tickets being sold than an Australian World Cup would.

As well as tickets, massive amounts of merchandise would be sold. Bearing in mind that millions of people in China wouldn't get tickets, many would want to have some sort of world cup experience - hence the fan parks, the parties etc. The amount of England shirts, for example, sold at a Chinese world cup would amass to about the same as the amount sold in 2 or 3 years in England.

All in all, for financial purposes and for the general sake of the Chinese people, a world cup in China would be nothing like we've ever seen before in terms of spectator support, merchandise sold and general hype brought up.

I really do doubt that, if they were given the chance, China would delay bidding for the world cup even longer, and I'm sure if they even hinted about bidding, FIFA would encourage them greatly. And even if Australia, Qatar or the like won 2022 and after China announced that they were bidding for 2026, I'm sure FIFA would tweak the rules a bit - like they did when Germany beat South Africa in bidding for 2006, much to the dismay of the FIFA money-men. A rule, not very well thought out, clearly, was introduced all but assuring that South Africa would win 2010.

I'm not saying that I want the US to win 2022 - I'm half Australian, so I have as good a reason as any to want them to win, but I think that in the end of the day, China has the chance to be a deciding factor in who hosts the 2022 world cup.
Unfortunately while all this is true, a key part is missing, and this makes this theory 99% wrong.

When China threw the Beijing Olympics, it had two goals. The first everyone knew, that being to throw the greatest olympics ever. The second most people disregarded, because they thought it was an ambitious but futile goal. It was to beat the USA and Russia, and head the medal table.

As a friend told me during the Olympics, China only respects one colour, and thats gold! Silver and bronze mean nothing, failure in anything not gold.

Why is this relevant to the 2026 world cup? China is terrified of hosting a world cup, and going out in straight sets.

My wife is Chinese, and I can tell you her, her family, her friends, my chinese work colleagues and clients all have one common view on football. They love it, but have given up on their national team because of its inability to perform. As an example, they all cannot believe NORTH KOREA made the WC and not them, but they are not shocked, it just underlines their existing belief.

Personally I don't think China will bid until they are sure they will survive the first round of finals.

This was published last week in the China Daily, and all but rules out a 2026 plan. While it is not definitive, for a Chinese govt statement this is as close to "we will not" as I have seen.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/20...nt_9963418.htm
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #6232
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Interesting theory regarding China and their WC ambitions.

I think if South Africa miss getting out of the group, which is likely now, a lot of future countries will breath a sigh of relief. To have been the first country to miss getting out of the group stage was always a fear, and once that is gone, I think there will be a slight weight taken off.

In saying that , every country wants to win and/or do very well for national pride. To fail to deliver on home turf not only makes the WC less of a success overall, but is seen as a real let down for all the investment that is made.

South Africa really did not develop leading up to the WC, it had many issues to deal with just organising the event and I fear that they did not focus on the quality of the team in the years leading up. China, and even Australia in 200, showed just how investment in their teams, in those cases Olympic sports, works to get results.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #6233
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
Interesting theory regarding China and their WC ambitions.

I think if South Africa miss getting out of the group, which is likely now, a lot of future countries will breath a sigh of relief. To have been the first country to miss getting out of the group stage was always a fear, and once that is gone, I think there will be a slight weight taken off.

In saying that , every country wants to win and/or do very well for national pride. To fail to deliver on home turf not only makes the WC less of a success overall, but is seen as a real let down for all the investment that is made.

South Africa really did not develop leading up to the WC, it had many issues to deal with just organising the event and I fear that they did not focus on the quality of the team in the years leading up. China, and even Australia in 200, showed just how investment in their teams, in those cases Olympic sports, works to get results.
Thats the issue for China, its not like they have been tight fisted with the team. They have thrown money at them, but it has achieved nothing.

Personally I think more of their players need to leave the dollars and comfort-zone of China, and go play full-time in Europe, but that is another discussion.

This is also a big issue for China not just due to national pride. If you remember back to the Olympics, the stadium would empty when the Chinese athletes were not competing. Reckon this may be what the Govt official alluded to in saying Chinese needed to become better supporters (don't reckon FIFA would love seeing half empty stands)
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #6234
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I think FIFA requires media sections are roofed
I can't think of a stadium that doesn't have a press box. Already finished.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #6235
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
Yeah, the lack of enclosed press areas in these SA stadiums surprised me. I just didn't know any other way of doing it.

Even if there were a larger demand for press area than a press box could handle (doubtful) there are plenty of suites in all these stadiums that could be used if needed.
RaiderATO no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #6236
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
For world cup there's need for additional press boxes/seats...

http://www.electro-voice.com/sitefil..._CUP_02web.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlwescott/180320715/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2475537557/

Example from Germany.. part of one stand is always converted in media seats because there's no stadium in the world that can host such large number of reporters by default.

Those additional places have to be covered as well.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #6237
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 13

I think you could be underestimating the capacity of our press boxes. But I could be wrong also.

Either way, some of the plentiful luxury boxes could be used. Its obviously not an issue since the US bid doesn't include putting a roof on the stadiums.
RaiderATO no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #6238
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 965

Orange Convoy in South-Africa. The roofs of all the vehicles were festooned with stickers with The HollandBelgium Bid logo.
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #6239
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderATO View Post
I think you could be underestimating the capacity of our press boxes. But I could be wrong also.

Either way, some of the plentiful luxury boxes could be used. Its obviously not an issue since the US bid doesn't include putting a roof on the stadiums.
Well, FIFA requires 200 press seats for a final. Cowboys Stadium can seat over 500 in the pressbox and usually has about 200 at every regular season game. I'd imagine most NFL pressboxes would be in the 200-300 range.

I'd imagine those without would add roofs if required, but the requirements are roofs or suites for dignitaries and officials and roof for media members. Pretty much any NFL stadium would meet these requirements. Field size would more likely be the issue, though its cheaper to raise the field level or take out corners than to build entire stadiums.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #6240

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuppeltje View Post

Orange Convoy in South-Africa. The roofs of all the vehicles were festooned with stickers with The HollandBelgium Bid logo.
BTW, does Holland have any additional support from the boers of South Africa?

How is relations in general between holland and the boers?
1772 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup