daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 6th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #6321
SASH

Likes (Received): 5857

On July 11 Holland will win the World Cup.
It will be their first WC, after 5 semi Finals and 2 Finals.
Of al the "important" football-nations, Holland is the only one who never hosted a WC. That's why they deserve to host the WC in 2018!

Last edited by SASH; July 8th, 2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: it's 'deserve' not 'diserve'
SASH no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #6322
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASH SCF View Post
Of al the "important" football-nations, Holland is the only one who never hosted a WC. That's why they diserve to host the WC in 2018!
I would rate favourites for 2018 as:
1. Russia
2. England
Slim difference btwn the top 2.
Can even be a repeat of 2012 bid.
2. Spain/Portugal
3. Holland/Belgium
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #6323
Carlos Teixeira

Likes (Received): 101

I would pick:

2018 - Russia (but i guess England will get it);
2022 - Australia
Carlos Teixeira no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #6324
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

All the seats, except a few, in Soccer City are orange. Its fate.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #6325
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7061

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASH SCF View Post
Of al the "important" football-nations, Holland is the only one who never hosted a WC. That's why they deserve to host the WC in 2018!
Be honest, after 2 Finals (1974, 1978) and three semi-finals (1974, 1978, 1998).
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #6326
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever... View Post
SARANSK(IN MORDOVIA)

Sounds inviting...
Hmmm... I don't think that Rancagua, Arica (1962), Leyn (1970), Mendoza (1978), Irapuato, Nezahualcуyotl, Querйtaro, Toluca (1986), Seogwipo, Jeonju, Daejeon, Oita (2002), Rustenburg, Port Elizabeth, Bloemfontein, Nelspruit, Polokwane (2010) sounds more inviting
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #6327
AILD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
Hmmm... I don't think that Rancagua, Arica (1962), Leyn (1970), Mendoza (1978), Irapuato, Nezahualcуyotl, Querйtaro, Toluca (1986), Seogwipo, Jeonju, Daejeon, Oita (2002), Rustenburg, Port Elizabeth, Bloemfontein, Nelspruit, Polokwane (2010) sounds more inviting
Relax, he is russophobic troll, so he has not enough brain .
AILD no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #6328
AlekseyVT
BANNED

About comparison Russia vs. England

Without any doubt, Englishmen have greatest lobby in the international football organizations. For example when their team was not qualified on Euro 2008, UEFA has rapidly decided to increase the number of national teams in the final round from 16 to 24.

About Russian bid - of course, there are many Russian opponents among sports officials. For example, that Moscow become organizer of the UEFA Cup final in 1999, bosses of Olympique de Marseille (finalist of tournament) started PR-campaign for remove final in other European city. The reasons were very flimsy. Then UEFA officials said to Frenchmen - "Are you don't want come in Moscow? Is it mean, that you don't need UEFA Cup? So you can stay home!" In result UEFA Cup final was played in Moscow, organisation was very good, and French club was defeated by FC Parma with score 0-3.

The same story was with Champions League final 2008, when two English clubs were played in final. The English officials and mass-media started PR-campaign about removing this final in England. The reasons were more than absurd - 1) the all-England final must played in England (although before 2008 were played all-Spanish and all-Italian finals), 2) there is huge traffic in Moscow (although some European capitals have same situation), 3) Moscow don't use CET (more than absurd).

Finally, Champions League final was played in Moscow. It was a dangerous situation - the Englishmen are known for their aggressive football fans. But Moscow city government has decided to extend the working hours of public transport, the organization was recognized as successful and there was no major incidents between English fans.

In contrast, in same year the UEFA Cup final was played in Manchester. After the victory of Russian club Zenit over Glasgow Rangers Scotish fans started fights and riots in the English city. Of course, the organization of this final was far from ideal. But if England will win WC2018 contest, that some important matches will be played in Manchester.

So, I sure that Russian bid is look stronger than English, but Englishman are famous for their non-gentleman games "behind the curtain".
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #6329
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Quote:
About comparison Russia vs. England

Without any doubt, Englishmen have greatest lobby in the international football organizations. For example when their team was not qualified on Euro 2008, UEFA has rapidly decided to increase the number of national teams in the final round from 16 to 24.

About Russian bid - of course, there are many Russian opponents among sports officials. For example, that Moscow become organizer of the UEFA Cup final in 1999, bosses of Olympique de Marseille (finalist of tournament) started PR-campaign for remove final in other European city. The reasons were very flimsy. Then UEFA officials said to Frenchmen - "Are you don't want come in Moscow? Is it mean, that you don't need UEFA Cup? So you can stay home!" In result UEFA Cup final was played in Moscow, organisation was very good, and French club was defeated by FC Parma with score 0-3.

The same story was with Champions League final 2008, when two English clubs were played in final. The English officials and mass-media started PR-campaign about removing this final in England. The reasons were more than absurd - 1) the all-England final must played in England (although before 2008 were played all-Spanish and all-Italian finals), 2) there is huge traffic in Moscow (although some European capitals have same situation), 3) Moscow don't use CET (more than absurd).

Finally, Champions League final was played in Moscow. It was a dangerous situation - the Englishmen are known for their aggressive football fans. But Moscow city government has decided to extend the working hours of public transport, the organization was recognized as successful and there was no major incidents between English fans.

In contrast, in same year the UEFA Cup final was played in Manchester. After the victory of Russian club Zenit over Glasgow Rangers Scotish fans started fights and riots in the English city. Of course, the organization of this final was far from ideal. But if England will win WC2018 contest, that some important matches will be played in Manchester.

So, I sure that Russian bid is look stronger than English, but Englishman are famous for their non-gentleman games "behind the curtain".

If you say so

Point 1: English officials didn't ask for the game in Moscow to be moved. Some papers might have suggested it as an idea, but papers are papers; you can't take them seriously half the time. You're not the first Russian on here to confuse our press with our football administrators.

Point 2: Russia's organisation was good but not as perfect as you make out. There were some problems with transportation and shortage of accommodation which I'm sure Moscow will look to solve if they win 2018. There were also some minor scuffles as Russian youths threw glass bottles at Chelsea fans. Nothing that would put FIFA off going to Russia, but not as rosy a picture as you paint. Furthermore, British police were drafted in by Moscow to help coordinate procedings.

Point 3: Manchester hosts matches every week with 75,000 fans in the stadium. Yes, there were problems with some Rangers fans on ONE occasion, but there's no reason to believe that'll happen again if England win. Nice try at smearing but anyone with an ounce of intelligence will see right through it. Having matches in Manchester will not be a problem.

Point 4: You say the English are known for their aggressive fans but FIFA recognises we've done more than any other nation on earth to combat hooliganism. Going from the situation in the late 90s where English fans did cause trouble abroad to the situation now where it's as rare as hen's teeth actually does us great credit. Italy is looking at implementing the British model to combat the problems in their country, for example.

Point 5: The Russian bid certainly doesn't look stronger than the English bid either, as you claim. Russia has got a huge amount of potential, and that could well excite FIFA a lot, but most of our stadiums are in place; a situation the Russian bid does not find itself in. If England wins it'll be because we offered FIFA the safest bid, with a lot of advantages - not because of your insinuation of 'non-gentleman games "behind the curtain"'. But it's good to see you getting your excuses in early

Last edited by RobH; July 8th, 2010 at 11:04 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #6330
AlekseyVT
BANNED

I forgot to add - before CL2008 final one British journalist wrote in "Guardian" that Moscow is very expensive city - she paid in Moscow restaurant $ 40 only for a cup of tea. Many British readers believed her, and wrote in CIF, which they decided not going to Moscow. This shows the level of Western propaganda - I would not have been able to find same exprensive restaurant in Moscow, even if I will very wanted it.
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #6331
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Of course, Russia is perfect. There are no football hooligans in Russia. Not one. Not a single one. Never has been. Never will be. England, by contrast, is a country that is jam packed full of hooligans. And, at a higher level, England is always scheming against lovely, innocent countries, like Russia, that would never hurt a fly and which have never partaken in shady shenanigans of their own. No, never. Ever...........

Yawn................seriously, if that's the best that you can do, fella, then you might as well give up now.

And, for your info, the difference between the CL final in Moscow and the UEFA final in Manchester is that the English fans in Moscow, from both teams, behaved themselves. But the Scottish fans in Manchester (some 70,000 of them - mostly without tickets) didn't behave themselves.

Now.....................is there any possibility that you can be sensible and discuss stadiums and infrastructure and the strength of the actual bids as opposed to a load of nonsense about hooligans and conspiracy theories?

At least try. There's a good lad.

Last edited by JimB; July 8th, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #6332
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
If you say so

English officials didn't ask for the game in Moscow to be moved. Some papers might have suggested it as an idea, but papers are papers; you can't take them seriously half the time. You're not the first Russian on here to confuse our press with our football administrators.

If England wins it'll be because we offered FIFA the safest bid, with a lot of advantages - not because of your insinuation of 'non-gentleman games "behind the curtain"'. But it's good to see you getting your excuses in early
Sorry, Lord David Triesman is a journalist or football administrator? And big gentleman, of course?
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #6333
JimB

Quote:
I forgot to add - before CL2008 final one British journalist wrote in "Guardian" that Moscow is very expensive city - she paid in Moscow restaurant $ 40 only for a cup of tea. Many British readers believed her, and wrote in CIF, which they decided not going to Moscow. This shows the level of Western propaganda - I would not have been able to find same exprensive restaurant in Moscow, even if I will very wanted it.
Hahahahaha!

Because the Russian media has never....ever indulged in a spot of propaganda????????

I've heard it all now!

By the way, how do you know that "many British readers believed her"? We tend not to pay much attention to our journalists. And I highly doubt that any committed Man Utd or Chelsea fans would have stayed away from Moscow on the basis of a mere newspaper article about the cost of a meal! What a preposterous notion!

So it sounds to me as though you're making it up.

Far more likely is that many English fans didn't go to Moscow because they were repeatedly warned by both the Russian Embassy and and the British Foreign office that they would not be granted visas to get into Russia unless they had a ticket for the game.

Nevertheless, some 50,000 English fans still travelled to Moscow for the final. What more do you want?
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #6334
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
shady shenanigans of their own. No, never. Ever...........

Yawn................seriously, if that's the best that you can do, fella, then you might as well give up now.

And, for your info, the difference between the CL final in Moscow and the UEFA final in Manchester is that the English fans in Moscow, from both teams, behaved themselves. But the Scottish fans in Manchester (some 70,000 of them - mostly without tickets) didn't behave themselves.
I speak that Manchester police was not able to stop this fans. Are you sure that Scotish team or other team, famous by their bully fans, will not play in World Cup 2018?
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #6335
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Hahahahaha!

Because the Russian media has never....ever indulged in a spot of propaganda????????

I've heard it all now!

By the way, how do you know that "many British readers believed her"? We tend not to pay much attention to our journalists. And I highly doubt that any committed Man Utd or Chelsea fans would have stayed away from Moscow on the basis of a mere newspaper article about the cost of a meal! What a preposterous notion!
I repeat again - I read comments on CIF (CIF is forum of "Guardian" newspaper).
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #6336
JimB

Quote:
I repeat again - I read comments on CIF (CIF is forum of "Guardian" newspaper).
So a couple of comments on an internet forum suddenly tanslates into "many people" deciding not to go to Moscow?

Forgive me........cough......*bullshit*.....cough.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #6337
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Quote:
Sorry, Lord David Triesman is a journalist or football administrator? And big gentleman, of course?
Yes, and he quit as soon as his comments were made public. You know that as well as anyone else. Furthermore, his private comments would not have been made public were it not for very shoddy journalism indeed.

That episode damaged our bid and probably gave Russia's chances a boost, so I'm hardly surprised you like bringing it up, but that situation was dealt with very well by the FA and England 2018 and most of the anger in England afterwards was directed, rightly, at the Daily Mail.

None of this changes my original point that (among a slew of other inaccuracies) you claimed English officials want the Champions League final moved; confusing our press with our football administrators.

Last edited by RobH; July 8th, 2010 at 11:25 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #6338
JimB

Quote:
I speak that Manchester police was not able to stop this fans. Are you sure that Scotish team or other team, famous by their bully fans, will not play in World Cup 2018?
If 70,000 people decide to riot, there is nothing that can be done about it other than to contain them as best you can. If 70,000 English fans in Moscow had decided to riot, the Moscow police wouldn't have been able to stop them any sooner than the Manchester police were able to stop the rioting Glasgow Rangers fans.

British police have more experience than any other police in the world at dealing with football related trouble. No country has had a bigger hooligan problem than England once had. And no country has made greater progress in eradicating hooliganism.

Consequently, police forces from around the world look to England as a model of how to control the threat of hooliganism.

Next.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #6339
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Nonsese Jim, can't you see these fine gentlemen are having a friendly exchange of views?

MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #6340
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1921

Quote:
If 70,000 people decide to riot, there is nothing that can be done about it other than to contain them as best you can. If 70,000 English fans in Moscow had decided to riot, the Moscow police wouldn't have been able to stop them any sooner than the Manchester police were able to stop the rioting Glasgow Rangers fans.

Next.
I've been to games in Russia.

Police? Hah! They bring the army in. Hundreds of them. I went to a match in St Petersburg and wondered if a military coup had taken place. I'm not sure if there even were any away fans that day.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup