daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 16th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #6421
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post

I'm not sure that Spain / Portugal will get a big proportion of African or Asian votes, though.
Neither do I.

Quote:
And I'm pretty certain that most UEFA delegates will vote for Russia or England - for no reason other than the fact that a vote for Holland / Belgium or Spain / Portugal will mean voting for one less qualifying space for UEFA. It would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.
Hum...... I'm not so sure about that. I believe much will happen during the next months.

EDIT (I love them): I mean, for those countries who vote, do you really think that one spot is really that important? If so, how come joint bids have won a lot of European Championships?

Last edited by Aka; July 16th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
Aka no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #6422
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
Neither do I.

Hum...... I'm not so sure about that. I believe much will happen during the next months.
You're right. There's no telling at this stage. FIFA, like the IOC, is a strange political animal. It's certainly going to be a close contest between four very good bids.

But, if I was a betting man, my money would be on one of Russia or England. At the moment, I would say that Russia have their noses slightly in front.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #6423
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
You're right. There's no telling at this stage. FIFA, like the IOC, is a strange political animal. It's certainly going to be a close contest between four very good bids.

But, if I was a betting man, my money would be on one of Russia or England. At the moment, I would say that Russia have their noses slightly in front.
Mine too. Blatter is Russia-biased, but something tells me that most European countries don't see the Russian bid with the same love.
Aka no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #6424
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
Neither do I.

Hum...... I'm not so........

EDIT (I love them): I mean, for those countries who vote, do you really think that one spot is really that important? If so, how come joint bids have won a lot of European Championships?
With England losing out on qualification and joint bids, UEFA has already increased th enumber of teams in final.

Hopefully, some thing similar is done to avoid some emabarassing situations in future with unsuccessful hosts like SA2010 or pampering rich hosts like Korea 2002 to stay in fray.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #6425
RobH

Likes (Received): 10322

A little bit of evidence for uefa's reasoning rather than your usual 2+2=5 analysis would be nice mate.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #6426
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

You'd think the fact that there was NO trouble with England fans in RSA would help our bid enormously given how much of a fuss UEFA and FIFA try to make of them. They've even tried to use it as excuses in the past.
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #6427
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
You'd think the fact that there was NO trouble with England fans in RSA would help our bid enormously given how much of a fuss UEFA and FIFA try to make of them. They've even tried to use it as excuses in the past.
There hasn't been any trouble from England fans since a game in Charleroi during Euro 2000 - despite the fact that England fans travel in far larger numbers than fans of any other country.

The banning orders have worked really well.

We have to remain vigilant, though, and keep it under control. No room for complacency.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #6428
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
With England losing out on qualification and joint bids, UEFA has already increased th enumber of teams in final.

Hopefully, some thing similar is done to avoid some emabarassing situations in future with unsuccessful hosts like SA2010 or pampering rich hosts like Korea 2002 to stay in fray.
Football Expert.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #6429
InfraBuilder
Frequent flyer

Likes (Received): 16

Mother Russia should, lol. Seriously, it will help them build new stadiums which the country lacks.
InfraBuilder no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #6430
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Some good news for the US bid and bad news for Qatar and Australia.
Quote:
The U.S. got a boost in its bid to host the 2022 World Cup with China's announcement that it intends to bid on the 2026 tournament. And in the interest of becoming the next Asian country to host a World Cup, China federation chief Wei Di has declared his support for the U.S. bid
China does not have a vote, but I don't think that's where the significance in this comment lies. This is confirmation that China will bid in 2026 and that's awfully enticing for FIFA. If Australia or Qatar hosts in 2022, China won't be able to host until 2034 and I highly doubt that FIFA would want to pass on the goldmine that is China until then. The prospect of a European World Cup, USA, China and back to Europe again has to make FIFA happy.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #6431
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Some good news for the US bid and bad news for Qatar and Australia.

China does not have a vote, but I don't think that's where the significance in this comment lies. This is confirmation that China will bid in 2026 and that's awfully enticing for FIFA. If Australia or Qatar hosts in 2022, China won't be able to host until 2034 and I highly doubt that FIFA would want to pass on the goldmine that is China until then. The prospect of a European World Cup, USA, China and back to Europe again has to make FIFA happy.
Chinese football has far too many corruption issues at this time to even consider taking a WC there.

I would say that with 4 Asian bids in this round (2022), that China will be a bit player in the minds just now. China can wait until 2034-2038 when it will be a much bigger player on the global scale and much more rewarding.

The US will likely get 2026 if they miss out on 2022, as they are the best option in Nth America.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #6432
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1158

China is a huge economy where FIFA can generate a lot of money. That is all they care about.
Quintana no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #6433
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

It's over!

If the US is going to get a WC anyways, why not award 2022 to the US and let OZ and China battle it out for 2026? And by then, it'd would have been 24 years removed from Korea and Japan so they too can enter the fray as legit candidates. Indonesia can improve it's infrastructure and become a legit candidate and Qatar can continue it's massive growth and boost its bid.

The USA can host a great WC either in 2022 or 2026 while the Asian countries can have better bids in 2026 than in 2022.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #6434
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Definitely a major worry for the AU bid if true, but I'm not jumping off a cliff yet:

1) Their footy fed is one thing, having the govt on board is another. Govt was embarrassed and annoyed earlier in the year with the corruption in Chinese footy, and there has been talk about them wanting to clean that side of things up. Not sure on the current status of the issue, but usually it takes a little time to do a clean out.

2) I doubt the govt will want to have a WC if there is the risk of China going out in the round robin phase. I know SA did it, but for China to get knocked out would be a massive loss of face. The national team is in pretty poor shape right now, and while we are talking in 14 years time, I think this may be a factor.

3) We are talking FIFA. If FIFA want China, they will bump their rotation rule or find a loophole. Not that I'm cynical
T74 no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #6435
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

We're ****ed.
I have no confidence in FIFA. They will ***** themselves to China without blinking even if it means a World Cup played entirely with Athletics tracks. The worst thing that happened to the AFC bidders for 2022 was South African not making it through the group rounds. China was watching and has alway considered a bid but they were terrified of being the first Host to be knocked out in the first round. Now they don't have that problem and they may now realise there is little or no shame in that at all. South Africa certainly didn't lose face.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #6436
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
We're ****ed.
I have no confidence in FIFA. They will ***** themselves to China without blinking even if it means a World Cup played entirely with Athletics tracks. The worst thing that happened to the AFC bidders for 2022 was South African not making it through the group rounds. China was watching and has alway considered a bid but they were terrified of being the first Host to be knocked out in the first round. Now they don't have that problem and they may now realise there is little or no shame in that at all. South Africa certainly didn't lose face.
Settle down man. Theres way too much hysteria out there.

China have not yet said they will go for it, and to be honest, they will wait til they are a stronger football power before even thinking of it. It is all about prestige and political for them , just like the Olympics. They spent a fortune to develop athletes for a couple of decades before even going for the Olympics.

Asia are going at this way too hard to just waste the cash and try and cede 2026 to China.

The US bid is not as strong as many let on and really only carries the big $ payday to FIFA. If they overlook that, and look at the reality, Asia is a much stronger driver of cash for them than the US football, or soccer, market will be. The main growth areas are in Asia, in economic and footballing terms afterall Many overlook that.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #6437
Matthew Lowry

Likes (Received): 4

Think postive Walbanger dont give up i know Australia can win the bid in 2022
Matthew Lowry no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #6438
T74

Likes (Received): 1

we just got the Matt Lowry stamp of approval, well we are stuffed now
T74 no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #6439
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

If the Chinese, given their current economy and facing some deep seated social and ecological issues over the next decade, are seriously considering a bid for 2026 I can only have one thought:

"Oh goody. Another $40B of the Chinese people's money blown on more Birds Nests that can rot unused after 2026."

I'd rather Qatar win that bid by outright paying FIFA directly via oil money rather than see the Chinese government further butcher their economy.

Okay, rant over.
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #6440
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
Settle down man. Theres way too much hysteria out there.

China have not yet said they will go for it, and to be honest, they will wait til they are a stronger football power before even thinking of it. It is all about prestige and political for them , just like the Olympics. They spent a fortune to develop athletes for a couple of decades before even going for the Olympics.

Asia are going at this way too hard to just waste the cash and try and cede 2026 to China.

The US bid is not as strong as many let on and really only carries the big $ payday to FIFA. If they overlook that, and look at the reality, Asia is a much stronger driver of cash for them than the US football, or soccer, market will be. The main growth areas are in Asia, in economic and footballing terms afterall Many overlook that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Lowry View Post
Think postive Walbanger dont give up i know Australia can win the bid in 2022
Somebody slap me!

Yeah, I over reacted. We will see what happens but FIFA are dogs and far less credible than the IOC who already went to China with mixed results for them.

Last edited by Walbanger; July 20th, 2010 at 06:11 PM.
Walbanger no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup