daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 20th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #6441
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

Thank you China!
Archbishop no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #6442
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

This may be the first time Australia regrets joining the AFC
JYDA no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #6443
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
This may be the first time Australia regrets joining the AFC
I doubt that would factor into it. Even if Australia was still in Oceana's federation the two nations are close enough in location and time zones that I suspect anyone in FIFA seriously favoring China for 2026 would want to move the event away from the western Pacific for 2022. I suspect, anyway.
Old July 20th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #6444
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I doubt that would factor into it. Even if Australia was still in Oceana's federation the two nations are close enough in location and time zones that I suspect anyone in FIFA seriously favoring China for 2026 would want to move the event away from the western Pacific for 2022. I suspect, anyway.
The point is there's a FIFA rule that no confederation can host twice in a row.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #6445
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post

The US bid is not as strong as many let on and really only carries the big $ payday to FIFA..
A US world cup doesn't necessarily offer a bigger amount of money than anywhere else. Crowds would be higher, but FIFA don't keep the ticket revenue, so that makes no difference to them.

They won't get more tv money or sponsorship for a world cup in the USA either.

The US bid is still a strong bid though on stadiums alone.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #6446
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 255

I have my doubts. They're probably "thinking about it" but AFC is not going to stand there quietly while the bidders for Japan, Korea, Qatar and Australia get nervous. What I think will happen is that AFC will talk to the Chinese F.A. and the Chinese F.A. (probably through pressure from the Chinese gov't) will end up backing out of the idea to not offend the other AFC members. The AFC organization heads do not want to risk having their positions threatened by being seen as allowing Qatar, Australia, Japan and Korea being hung out to dry. One article I read may prove that theory right: http://insideworldfootball.biz/index...news&Itemid=53

Quote:
Mohamed Bin Hammam, the President of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), will told talks with Chinese Vice-Sports Minister Cui Dalin in Beijing tomorrow with the prospect of a bid from China for the 2026 World Cup set to be top of the agenda.
In the end, it will still come down to between Australia, US, Qatar and probably one of the rejected UEFA bids. The supposed China factor will end up being a tempest in a tea pot.
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:06 AM   #6447
Archbishop

One thing that's good about the U.S. bid is that it's right between Europe and East Asia. Times could be good depending on which team is playing, as in we could find a way to give a lot of Asian and European teams favorable time slots without them being at a ridiculous time here.
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:29 AM   #6448
broncoempire
One Grumpy S.O.B.

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
One thing that's good about the U.S. bid is that it's right between Europe and East Asia. Times could be good depending on which team is playing, as in we could find a way to give a lot of Asian and European teams favorable time slots without them being at a ridiculous time here.
Absolutely true. If a number of major matches are given late afternoon kickoffs stateside, that should work out to being something akin to primetime throughout Europe. The heat may be a minor issue but if matches are late enough in the day, say after 3 or 4 in the afternoon, at least the hottest part of the day is pretty much over, depending on the location.

The Asian one may be a little tougher to accomplish being as I think a large number of major East Asian cities are around 12-13 hours ahead. That was pretty much the case during the Olympics 2 years ago when they adjusted schedules to give the U.S. some live primetime events. I vividly remember something like swimming finals being held at 11:30 in the morning there so it would be 11:30 at night here. There isn't a whole lot that can be done with that as no matter what the time is someone is either going to have to get up in the middle of the night or watch when they wake up in the morning. Although an excuse to have a cold one before noon can never be a terrible thing.
broncoempire no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM   #6449
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Being located between East Asia and Europe is no advantage. Lagging 6 to 9 hours behind the relevant TV market is rather unfavourable. This will require kick-offs in the morning and games in the heat of the early afternoon.
Old July 21st, 2010, 04:56 PM   #6450
T74

Likes (Received): 1

a ray of sunshine for the Asian bids - AFC is still supporting the 2022 bids, and it seems the CFA is yet to get approval for a 2026 bid from Beijing. Article also seems to hint the AFC think the CFA need to get their house in order first before worrying about WC bids or even qualifying for 2014

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33557

Asian Support for 2022 World Cup Bids Unstinting Despite China Bid
July 20, 2010

AFC president Mohamed Bin Hammam has been China as part of a week-long tour of his confederation (Getty)

(WFI) AFC president Mohamed Bin Hammam has reiterated the confederation’s support for the four Asian candidates bidding to host the 2022 World Cup. He said that China’s plans to host the tournament in 2026 will have no impact on its commitment to stage the finals in twelve years time.

Last week Wei Di, head of the Chinese Football Association (CFA), said that it was approaching the Chinese government about a bid to host the 2026 finals.

But Bin Hammam said today after holding talks with Wei that he had no intention of “jeapodising the chances” of Australia, Japan, Qatar and South Korea who are all vying for the 2022 finals.

“We have four Asian countries bidding for the 2022 World Cup,” he said.

“Naturally if any one of these countries wins, then Asia will not be eligible to bid for the 2026 World Cup. I and AFC are supporting the chances of these four countries in 2022. We don’t want to jeopardise their chances.”

Wei confirmed his earlier prouncement on China’s plans, saying that the country is already in a position to host the tournament.

“But I never said I don’t want other Asian countries not to win it in 2022,” he added.

Last week Wei told the nation's leading sports newspaper Titan Sports that the CFA had been “moved” to witness “all the social benefits South Africa got from hosting the World Cup."

"The CFA is preparing to ask the General Administration of Sport to bid for the 2026 World Cup," he said.

"Everyone has been debating whether China should bid for the World Cup or when to bid, but seeing how successfully South Africa hosted it, I have to say that China has no reason not to bid and now is the best time."

Wei Di's long march
Chinese football nevertheless has a long way to go before it can be considered a credible force again.

Wei Di, who previously ran China’s Olympic watersports team, was appointed by the government earlier this year following a lurid match-fixing and corruption scandal, in which it was alleged that wealthy Chinese could buy places on the country’s national team.

Wei’s predecessor Nan Yong may face the death penalty after facing criminal charges for his part in the scandal.

Bin Hammam was told that China's anti-corruption drive was now in its closing stage.

Wei also briefed the AFC President on the CFA's reorganisation plans. These include the replacement of the current CFA board with an Executive Committee and standing committees in accordance with FIFA and AFC directives, as well as a shake up of its administration.

A CFA Congress is anticipated before the end of the year to elect new leaders, added Wei.

Bin Hammam paid tribute to Wei’s progress in turning around the CFA, but suggested that much work would still need to be done if China is to qualify for the next World Cup finals in four years time.

“The new leadership under Wei Di has marvellous ideas to promote football,” said Bin Hammam.

“I have no doubt these new steps will take football higher and put China back in the big league.

“But we have to remember that all countries want to take part in the World Cup and are working hard. So it is very hard to predict who will qualify the next time.”
T74 no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:40 PM   #6451
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Agreed.

On a similar note, I really think that, in terms of hosting the World Cup, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF should be considered as one.

There are, realistically, only three countries in north America that will ever be able to host the World Cup and only another three or four in South America.

If FIFA maintain a strict continental rotational policy, World Cups will come around relatively quickly for those countries while other countries in other continents will have to wait many generations between World Cup tournaments on their home soil.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:47 PM   #6452
gonzabar_77
+ Offices + Crystal

Likes (Received): 2381

I support Australia for the 2022 FIFA World Cup!!!

DESARROLLO = INDUSTRIALIZACIÓN + ESTABILIDAD + DISTRIBUCIÓN

ARGENTINA Y SU POTENCIAL
gonzabar_77 no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:51 PM   #6453
gonzabar_77
+ Offices + Crystal

Likes (Received): 2381

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
On a similar note, I really think that, in terms of hosting the World Cup, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF should be considered as one.
I don't think so. There are many differences between both confederations. If they become one, the CONMEBOL countries won't let any place for the CONCACAF teams...

DESARROLLO = INDUSTRIALIZACIÓN + ESTABILIDAD + DISTRIBUCIÓN

ARGENTINA Y SU POTENCIAL
gonzabar_77 no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2010, 06:03 PM   #6454
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzabar_77 View Post
I don't think so. There are many differences between both confederations. If they become one, the CONMEBOL countries won't let any place for the CONCACAF teams...
Just to clarify - I'm not suggesting that CONMEBOL and CONCACAF merge.

I'm just suggesting that, only for the purposes of hosting the World Cup, they are considered by FIFA as one entity.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:57 PM   #6455
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Agreed.

There are, realistically, only three countries in north America that will ever be able to host the World Cup and only another three or four in South America.

If FIFA maintain a strict continental rotational policy, World Cups will come around relatively quickly for those countries while other countries in other continents will have to wait many generations between World Cup tournaments on their home soil.
They got rid of the rotational policy already so it's a moot point.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:14 PM   #6456
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
They got rid of the rotational policy already so it's a moot point.
To an extent, yes.

But, a mere 16 years after USA last hosted the World Cup, they are already confidently anticipating hosting another one in the near future. Meanwhile, other countries (in other continents) that have recently hosted the World Cup cannot expect the tournament to return to their soil for anything up to 90 years. Maybe more.

Unless CONMEBOL and CONCACAF are considered as one (for the purposes of hosting the World Cup), opportunities for those few countries in each continent that are capable of hosting the event will continue to come around far more frequently than for countries in some other continents.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:23 PM   #6457
Archbishop

Maybe those countries that never host should build better stadiums and be a better money-making opportunity. Just saying the U.S. has a great bid and can host a World Cup with relative ease. CONMEBOL and CONCACAF are not the same. Besides Mexico playing in Copa America there is no interaction. Why would they be considered the same? It would be like considering CAF and UEFA the same....
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:45 PM   #6458
JimB

Quote:
Maybe those countries that never host should build better stadiums and be a better money-making opportunity. Just saying the U.S. has a great bid and can host a World Cup with relative ease. CONMEBOL and CONCACAF are not the same. Besides Mexico playing in Copa America there is no interaction. Why would they be considered the same? It would be like considering CAF and UEFA the same....
Not at all. Let me explain again.

I'm not suggesting a merge between CONCACAF and CONMEBOL.

I'm just suggesting that it would be sensible and fair for FIFA to group together CONCACAF and CONMEBOL for the purposes of choosing World Cup hosts.

A strict rotational policy may have been abandoned but I think we all know that FIFA will try to share their tournament around as evenly as possible. Europe will probably get the World Cup once every twelve years but, because of the large number of realistic potential European hosts (up to 10, I'd estimate), it will still mean a huge gap between successful bids. Maybe 120 years.

By contrast, even if the World Cup only returned to CONMEBOL or CONCACAF every 20 years (and I somehow doubt it would be that long), a country like the USA would only have wait a maximum of 60 years between World Cups.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:18 PM   #6459
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Let's merge CAF and Asia for the purposes of World Cup hosting too because there are about the same number of possible hosts there too. With the exception of Europe, every continent has 3-5 possible hosts and I question if Africa even has three.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:06 PM   #6460
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Let's merge CAF and Asia for the purposes of World Cup hosting too because there are about the same number of possible hosts there too. With the exception of Europe, every continent has 3-5 possible hosts and I question if Africa even has three.
I think Asia might eventually have quite a few potential hosts. But, in principle, I agree with you.
JimB no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup