daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 21st, 2010, 11:58 PM   #6461
Chimbanha

Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Not at all. Let me explain again.

I'm not suggesting a merge between CONCACAF and CONMEBOL.

I'm just suggesting that it would be sensible and fair for FIFA to group together CONCACAF and CONMEBOL for the purposes of choosing World Cup hosts.

A strict rotational policy may have been abandoned but I think we all know that FIFA will try to share their tournament around as evenly as possible. Europe will probably get the World Cup once every twelve years but, because of the large number of realistic potential European hosts (up to 10, I'd estimate), it will still mean a huge gap between successful bids. Maybe 120 years.

By contrast, even if the World Cup only returned to CONMEBOL or CONCACAF every 20 years (and I somehow doubt it would be that long), a country like the USA would only have wait a maximum of 60 years between World Cups.
The current system won't live much longer. I wouldn't doubt it would be cancelled after December's elections. It was created with the sole purpose of giving the WC to CAF and CONMEBOL, Blatter's support confederations. Once such confederations realize that the only countries able to do the hosting duties have already done it, they won't oppose to the cancellation of the system.

I'd say it will be cancelled between 2010 and 2020. Inclusive
Chimbanha no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:07 AM   #6462
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

The rotational policy has already been canceled. The only rule now is that a confederation cannot host the next two World Cup after they host so CAF cannot host 2014 or 2018 and CONMEBOL cannot host 2018 or 2022. Whichever confederation hosts in 2018 will not be able to host 2022 or 2026.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:00 AM   #6463
Chimbanha

Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
The rotational policy has already been canceled. The only rule now is that a confederation cannot host the next two World Cup after they host so CAF cannot host 2014 or 2018 and CONMEBOL cannot host 2018 or 2022. Whichever confederation hosts in 2018 will not be able to host 2022 or 2026.
Exactly. I'm talking about the Rotational policies lato senso, which includes both species (the first one and the one descibed by you). It'll be cancelled soon.
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:10 AM   #6464
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
Exactly. I'm talking about the Rotational policies lato senso, which includes both species (the first one and the one descibed by you). It'll be cancelled soon.
I actually agree with this - if the "no bids for next two WC" policy stops the FIFA endorsed candidate bidding, the system will be changed
T74 no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:23 AM   #6465
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

I doubt that gets changed any time soon. No confederation will be hosting more often than one out of every three and FIFA Presidents need the votes of non-European members to get and hold the post so they will keep the rule in place to appease non-European confederations, IMO.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:54 AM   #6466
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I doubt that gets changed any time soon. No confederation will be hosting more often than one out of every three and FIFA Presidents need the votes of non-European members to get and hold the post so they will keep the rule in place to appease non-European confederations, IMO.
Besides which, it would be quite wrong for any continent to host the tournament more frequently than once in every three World Cups.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:57 AM   #6467
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Besides which, it would be quite wrong for any continent to host the tournament more frequently than once in every three World Cups.
agreed - but we are talking FIFA here
T74 no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:49 AM   #6468
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
A US world cup doesn't necessarily offer a bigger amount of money than anywhere else. Crowds would be higher, but FIFA don't keep the ticket revenue, so that makes no difference to them.

They won't get more tv money or sponsorship for a world cup in the USA either.
The TV money and sponsorship would be bigger. Why? Each city per capita would simply be more lucrative to large multi-nationals to get personal exposure. This is why automakers constantly complain about there not being a USGP. For many companies the US is their biggest market. Not to mention large US companies coming on as sponsors. Its not an arrogance thing, but its simply a fact. Its still the largest economy in the world by a large amount.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:50 PM   #6469
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
The TV money and sponsorship would be bigger. Why? Each city per capita would simply be more lucrative to large multi-nationals to get personal exposure. This is why automakers constantly complain about there not being a USGP. For many companies the US is their biggest market. Not to mention large US companies coming on as sponsors. Its not an arrogance thing, but its simply a fact. Its still the largest economy in the world by a large amount.
The world cup is a global event. Sponsors are concerned with their worldwide exposure far more than adverts in each host city.

There's nothing at all to suggest tv money would be bigger. Germany is a far more lucrative TV market than South Africa, yet tv revenues were considerably higher in 2010 than in 2006, again, because it's a global event, not an event in one country. FIFA care far more about worldwide tv revenues than the revenue each potential host country can bring in.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:03 AM   #6470
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
As a single entity yes.If the world cup is hosted in Eastern Asia then there is no debate-the money to be generated will eclipse anything else on offer from Europe or the Americas.
Thats the simple economics of having two thirds of the worlds population in your timezone.We started to see it in South Africa with Asian sponsors from Japan,South Korea,China and India starting to make a real presence
A world cup in Asia in 2022 will turbocharge football in Asia and it will provide a goldmine for FIFA
_X_ no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:08 AM   #6471
T74

and by 2022, I'll be stunned if the USA is still the worlds largest economy, with odds on China overtaking by then, and possibly India too

you talk about the USA being the worlds largest car market, will this be the case still in 12 years given the growth of the Indian and Chinese auto markets?
T74 no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:26 AM   #6472
AILD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

"Dollar" financial pyramid has no place to expand anymore and it's crushing.

USA already lives on virtual money (derivatives), not real. Those trillions printed by FED only postponing the collapse. + Destability which was created by Goldman Sachs and US-controlled "rating agencies" through Greece surprise debt also played part in postponing.

USA has only one way t continue their imperial existing - big war. They are trying to provoke it against Iran, N.Korea vs S.Korea, India vs Pakistan, Israel vs Turkey, etc.

Summary for sheeple.

Russia is among rare countries which have potential to remain stabile during collapse of the whole previous financial system, because we have enough energy to consume and sell, food/water and military nuclear potential to prevent aggression against us.

This is why 2014 Winter Olympics and 2013 Summer Universiade already ours.
This is the main reason why FIFA must give WC-2018 to Russia.

As you notice, Brasil (WC-2014,OG-2016) will also play a big part in future construction of the world.
AILD no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:56 AM   #6473
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Hi Russian troll. When will be the first day that one of you will surprise me and cease to talk mindless Putinese.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:06 AM   #6474
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by AILD View Post

USA already lives on virtual money (derivatives), not real. Those trillions printed by FED only postponing the collapse. + Destability which was created by Goldman Sachs and US-controlled "rating agencies" through Greece surprise debt also played part in postponing.

USA has only one way t continue their imperial existing - big war. They are trying to provoke it against Iran, N.Korea vs S.Korea, India vs Pakistan, Israel vs Turkey, etc.

Summary for sheeple.

Russia is among rare countries which have potential to remain stabile during collapse of the whole previous financial system, because we have enough energy to consume and sell, food/water and military nuclear potential to prevent aggression against us.

As you notice, Brasil (WC-2014,OG-2016) will also play a big part in future construction of the world.
Mate there are far more sensible reasons why Sochi won the 2014 bid and why Russia can win the 2018 WC bid, no need to draw out doomsday scenarios.

Don't get too preachy with the US War theories. Most of us are far from naive on the topic and understand the alarming economic persuasions but there's little reason to believe the US is gunning for all out military confrontation with Iran, what would they get out of it other than another quagmire. The suggestion they want military conflict between Pakistan and India, South and North Korea, Israel and Turkey is just downright illogical and immoral, millions would die. You do know that all of them bar North Korea is in some way or form a US ally don't you?

I'm not directing this at you directly AILD but it seems some Russians want the rest of the world to to see Russia in a different light to that they percieve foreigners see them but they don't affort the same gesture to the US and other NATO countries. The US attracts valid criticism but the real reasons are hardly simplistic and neat. We don't all assume the Georgia conflict was a totally onesided affair either. Australians certainly have no problem with Russians and there culture.

Last edited by Walbanger; July 23rd, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM   #6475
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

OZ 2022 vs China 2026

I'll bet on China.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:22 PM   #6476
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
As a single entity yes.If the world cup is hosted in Eastern Asia then there is no debate-the money to be generated will eclipse anything else on offer from Europe or the Americas.
Thats the simple economics of having two thirds of the worlds population in your timezone.We started to see it in South Africa with Asian sponsors from Japan,South Korea,China and India starting to make a real presence
A world cup in Asia in 2022 will turbocharge football in Asia and it will provide a goldmine for FIFA
Sorry, but that's not simple economics. Japan, China, India, South Korea are about as economically disperate as you can get. South Korea/Japan yes, but China no. The problem with China is you have to get viewers that spend on those sponsors. Same with India. There are not 1.5 billion spenders on the level of spenders in the west. Its just a fact and will be for a long time. Japan and Korea, yes.

And to minimize the impact of local sponsors is pure ignorance. Normally its important, but during the WC where advertising has to take place outside of the stadium, an even larger element of local is added. These are big dollars. I know many of you don't like the US and don't want them to have the WC in favors of nations who care even less than the US.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:31 PM   #6477
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:

Summary for sheeple.

Hahahaha!

Are you for real?

Which propaganda book did you swallow?
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 02:17 PM   #6478
RobH

Likes (Received): 10322

Quote:

Summary for sheeple.

It's lucky the US have virtually no new stadiums to build then isn't it! The US bid, unlike Russia's, doesn't propose a massive building spree which relies on huge amounts of public funds. It relies on existing stadiums.

This point alone means talk of macro-economics and the global economy is irrelevent. And talk of war is even more irrelevent and bordering on trolling.

Besides which, 2018 is almost certainly going to Europe anyway. Russia isn't competing with the US in reality (despite the fact that the US is still bidding for both events), so I don't know what your problem is.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 02:21 PM   #6479
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

yes, he is for real. he was just adding to talks about economies. but as was sais it's a global event. but, as i'll add - for sponsors important are developing economies, as they mean large number of new potential customers.

Last edited by coth; July 23rd, 2010 at 02:29 PM.
coth no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:13 PM   #6480
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
And to minimize the impact of local sponsors is pure ignorance. Normally its important, but during the WC where advertising has to take place outside of the stadium, an even larger element of local is added. These are big dollars. I know many of you don't like the US and don't want them to have the WC in favors of nations who care even less than the US.
Advertising space outside the ground which is seen by just a few thousand people is fly-speck compared to the hoardings around the pitch.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup