daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 25th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #6501
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by AILD View Post
So, Gerald Celente or David Icke, for example, are also Russian trolls if they don't accept US terrorist policy?

On without the nonsense.....

Last edited by nomarandlee; July 25th, 2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: saw Mo's request.......
nomarandlee no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #6502
Buju Banton
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

why do arrogant Americans think they are going to win when they just hosted it in 1994?
Buju Banton no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #6503
Matthew Lowry

Likes (Received): 4

I dont know about Morocco 2026 i think the USA is going to get them then.
Matthew Lowry no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #6504
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buju Banton View Post
why do arrogant Americans think they are going to win when they just hosted it in 1994?
Why do you have to throw the word "arrogant" in there? Many non-Americans believe the US is the favorite. It's not as if we're going out on a limb by thinking we are the favorites to win the right to host.

The money generated by a US hosted World Cup would make incredible. The average attendance of a US World Cup would be so far beyond anything that any non-US country could offer. It would be a huge boost to the sport in a country of 300+ million as well and offers more large cities for entertainment for visitors outside the matches than most countries. The stadiums are far more advanced than the stadiums offered by other countries and the infrastructure is very good. The US also requires no public investment in the stadiums and the costs of hosting would be miniscule.

The 28 year gap between hosting the World Cup would be small and is definitely a negative, but it is in no way a deal breaker when you're offering so much in the bid. Also, Mexico and Canada's unwillingness to bid makes it so the US bid represents the entire confederation, not like it was picked above other confederation bids unfairly. Mexico supports the US bid, as does the rest of the confederation. Because so many countries in the confederation cannot host, they throw their weight behind the US bid.

Last edited by ryebreadraz; July 25th, 2010 at 07:10 AM.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #6505
lazzaro_HD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

México esta modernizando sus centros de espectáculos así como los centros deportivos, ya en 2011 podrá ser la sede de cualquier evento masivo de nuestra era moderna! 
lazzaro_HD no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #6506
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buju Banton View Post
I'm Australian, and really want us to win 2022, but reality is the USA bid looks like a good one, and they are the bid to beat IMO
T74 no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #6507
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

BRIC countries could offer more attractive world cup than developed simply due to large free money that cannot be put back into economy. South Africa 2010, Brazil 2014, Russia 2018 and China 2026. All new market. 2022 only misses here. But i'm still sure it's going to be Australia or Qatar. FIFA could simply change rules for China, it will worth it.
Old August 1st, 2010, 06:15 PM   #6508
Big Cat

Likes (Received): 4

Cold war rivals vie to stage football’s big event
Quote:
During the last World Cup, a curious sideshow played out at expensive breakfast tables in Johannesburg’s business district of Sandton. The actors: lobbyists and officials. The stake: the right to host the World Cups of 2018 and 2022. On December 2, the 24 men on Fifa’s executive committee will select both hosts. Here’s the interim report on how the race stands:

The 2018 Cup will most likely go to a European country. England might seem the obvious choice. The country’s stadiums and infrastructure could host the tournament tomorrow morning.

However, England lacks friends within Fifa. It’s perceived as arrogant, and as having done little to administer the international game. That’s why two international administrators, Geoff Thompson and David Dein, now front England’s bid. But it’s an uphill struggle.

Also, Fifa’s officials dread Britain’s tabloids dogging their every step and bugging their hotel rooms for eight years. And if the US gets the 2022 competition, as seems likely, Fifa would probably avoid two consecutive English-speaking hosts.

Spain and Portugal, joint bidders, are more popular inside Fifa. They also traditionally get the Latin American vote. Yet they seem to have few other votes. Moreover, this debt-stricken duo would need to fork out for new stadiums.

Nobody knocks the Belgian-Dutch bid. Yet that’s a sign that its rivals don’t fear it. The Low Countries promise a compact and green World Cup. Those may not be the most compelling selling points. The Dutch also fear they are too strait-laced for the lobbying game.

Still, officials inside this bid think they will get votes that nobody now foresees – chiefly from small countries that also hope to make joint bids for a World Cup one day.

For now, though, insiders are tipping Russia for 2018. Fifa delights in tapping new markets through World Cups. Russia is a white spot on Europe’s footballing map. It has never hosted a major football tournament. Crucially, it can muster more lobbying might than its rivals. When Vladimir Putin phones asking for your support, you probably say yes. A Russian World Cup would cost a lot, but if Putin wants to spend the money, Russia will.

As for the 2022 World Cup, the most important words spoken in this race came from a country that isn’t even bidding. Wei Di, new head of China’s football federation, said this month: “I think China should apply for the World Cup [of 2026].”

China’s government will make the decision, not Wei Di. But Fifa would love China to bid. If the country signals it will, that would shape the race for 2022. If China gets 2026, no Asian country could stage 2022, because continents cannot host twice running. The only non-Asian bidder for 2022 is the US. So if China wants to bid, the US would surely get 2022.

That makes sense anyway. True, the US hosted the tournament as recently as 1994, but American interest in soccer has surged since. The US hits Fifa’s two sweet spots: its soccer market is both lucrative and growing. Ticket sales in huge American stadiums would raise fortunes. However, the country wouldn’t let in every person holding a match ticket – something Fifa would normally require.

Japan and South Korea hosted the World Cup in 2002. Now each wants to host it separately. Most observers think that’s too soon. These bids may be devices to keep Japanese and Korean officials off the streets.

Australia presents its bid as a proxy for the growing Indian and Chinese markets. However, that argument is holed if China bids. Australia needs China to stay out. If that happens, Australia hopes Japan and Korea will back it after they are knocked out in early voting.

Qatar is spending oil money on lobbying. But few foreigners want a World Cup played in the desert, in indoor stadiums in 40-degree heat. Choosing Qatar would look a choice for money. That would make Fifa look tacky.

For now, Russia and the US look the frontrunners.
Big Cat no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:58 AM   #6509
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 255

A lot of ifs. Stuff that we may have not thought about could affect the voting. 2018 is nowhere near a done deal (as is 2022). My gut feeling tells me that the Netherlands could surge in the last days and surprise everyone, if only to thwart the momentum towards one of the other two large factions. What I think might happen is once the other bids are voted out it would come down to three and if one of them is the Netherlands bid then the thinking would be if the party for one of the other two candidates believes that it would not win the final vote then to shift their votes towards the Netherlands without having to go to another round, thereby defeating the would-be favorites and giving the Netherlands the win.

For 2022, I think AFC (with cooperation of the Chinese govt) will remove the China bid threat, thereby making it much more interesting. I think Australia would then be the consensus choice for the Asian delegates. They would then have a shot of winning over the CAF delegates, a good number of European delegates, the Oceania delegate and then it would be a battle for South America between them and the Concacaf candidate (US).
Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:56 AM   #6510
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
A lot of ifs. Stuff that we may have not thought about could affect the voting. 2018 is nowhere near a done deal (as is 2022). My gut feeling tells me that the Netherlands could surge in the last days and surprise everyone, if only to thwart the momentum towards one of the other two large factions. What I think might happen is once the other bids are voted out it would come down to three and if one of them is the Netherlands bid then the thinking would be if the party for one of the other two candidates believes that it would not win the final vote then to shift their votes towards the Netherlands without having to go to another round, thereby defeating the would-be favorites and giving the Netherlands the win.

For 2022, I think AFC (with cooperation of the Chinese govt) will remove the China bid threat, thereby making it much more interesting. I think Australia would then be the consensus choice for the Asian delegates. They would then have a shot of winning over the CAF delegates, a good number of European delegates, the Oceania delegate and then it would be a battle for South America between them and the Concacaf candidate (US).
I am not so sure FIFA wou;ld think China is the best move just yet. It has many issues in the game with corruption, and I am sure the govt there would not want to have the event until their team is regularly qualifying for the WC. It would be a national embarrassment, which is not a good thing to a communist regime (look at Nth Korea for instance), if the team is not a success. It is all seen as a propoganda machine.

China might have the market, but the AFC will not let all its bids down by allowing China to loom large over the 2022 bid. China had its chance to bid for this one and did not do it.

If Asia misses out on 2022, look for 2026 to be a very competitive process. If China does enter, then the Chinese govt would have to invest a lot of money in development and fix up its Footballing Authorities, which FIFA do not like, because it is govt intervention in footballing matters
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:08 AM   #6511
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

China trying to derail this whole Asian campaign for 2022 is a disgrace.Are FIFA supposed to drop everthing for China in the "hope" that it "may" bid for 2026?

China were also interested in 2018
http://www.panasianbiz.com/asia/asia...host-2018-wor/

and nothing became....

Go away China..
Bid when you actually decide to put in an official bid and promote it when FIFA actually opens up the bidding process for that year.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:47 AM   #6512
The Game Is Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post

China might have the market, but the AFC will not let all its bids down by allowing China to loom large over the 2022 bid. China had its chance to bid for this one and did not do it.
So you're agreeing with me that AFC would put pressure on the Chinese F.A. to back out of any threat. I, too, see that happening.

As for the idea (according to the article) that the Australia bid is like being a proxy for India or China, I also don't look at it that way. In fact, I think the idea is brilliant and is a bigger threat than people here realize (from my standpoint). Hosting in Australia means that FIFA gets Asian eyeballs at a much more convenient time without having to go into one of those "problem countries" we keep hearing about. It would avoid (for FIFA) the charge that they only care about money over the state of human beings while enjoying the advantages of staging it in an already-developed nation and timely access to a vast emerging market in viewers.

The future of FIFA profits is in television rights, not stadium revenues. It would be a question of whether the Asian television market in the long run is more lucrative or whether they still think the rights fees from US television networks would overcome that. I do not know the answer to that question. On one hand, the soccer audience in North America is growing to the point that now it's worthwhile to bid for World Cup TV rights. OTOH, the Asian TV market is also becoming very lucrative and is the true threat to the North American market (and even the European market) in terms of consolidated value. This is why I am of the thinking that Australia might win it.

Sure, FIFA might not care who pays for the stadia as long as they're not footing the bill but television and video, online and mobile hold the key to the future. Butts on seats matter still but not as much as people think. They've proven that they can make money off an African World Cup, with ticket prices for some seats that would be considered a bargain in the developed world. Why? Television, online, mobile and such. And an already-built-in audience who would consume so much footy to make your head spin. They could do the same in Asia but Japan and Korea already hosted and they're not likely to host for a long time. China, as you say, has to up their football to make it worth their salt and the ASEAN countries are still not yet ready. So Australia is probably their best horse right now.

The AFC honchos surely must know this. It's not so much an issue of corruption as more of their influence within FIFA. They don't want China to go above them and will do what they can to neutralize it.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:22 AM   #6513
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

But why not let China and OZ battle it out in 2026?

The USA WILL get either 2022 or 2026.

Makes sense to give them 2022 and have OZ/China go for 2026.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:19 AM   #6514
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post

why would any of the non-Chinese AFC bidders agree to that?
T74 no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:23 AM   #6515
RobH

Likes (Received): 10322

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post

Why will the USA get one of those two?
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:36 PM   #6516
The Game Is Up

http://southkorea.worldcupblog.org/w...id-update.html

Quote:
South Korea’s bid to host the 2022 World Cup Finals passed a huge test last week as the FIFA inspection team completed a 4-day visit. The second of nine inspections that FIFA will perform in the coming months, the visit to Seoul was meant to examine Korea’s ability to host a future World Cup. With such a short visit planned, FIFA’s itinerary was packed full with scheduled events. Among other things, the group met with President Lee Myung-bak, toured stadiums around Seoul, Daegu, and Ulsan, and visited Seoul Plaza near city hall, a popular fan fest site where countless Koreans gathered to watch recent World Cups.

Korea’s bid committee seemed pleased with the visit which went off without a hitch. The results from FIFA, however, won’t be released until closer to the December 2nd selection date in Zurich. Of course, South Korea has already hosted one World Cup in 2002, something that might prove to be a bit of a double-edged sword for future bids. One thing working in South Korea’s favor is the infrastructure that is already built into the country as a result of the 2002 finals. Only two new stadiums would need to be constructed, which makes their bid eco-friendly with very little financial risk. In addition, the bid also leaves room for North Korea to be included in some capacity should tensions ease in the coming years. It was suggested that the North’s capital, Pyongyang, could perhaps host a few games.

However, since Korea hosted the World Cup as recently as 2002, it seems unlikely that they would be given the chance again so soon, especially when so many nations are clambering to host and more traditional soccer nations have had to wait much longer between intervals. Although approving Korea’s bid for 2022 would ensure a relatively stress-free World Cup since most of the infrastructure already exists, could FIFA justify having the World Cup back in Korea so soon?
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:09 PM   #6517
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cat View Post
I indeed predicted the same and stick on to it.
2018: England/Russia
2022: USA
2026: China
This shall be the outcome this December.
So OZ can only think of 2038.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:40 PM   #6518
warden987

Likes (Received): 902

Can't really wait to hear that FIFA's World Cup 2018 is in Russia.
warden987 no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:04 PM   #6519
CPHbane

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
I indeed predicted the same and stick on to it.
2018: England/Russia
2022: USA
2026: China
This shall be the outcome this December.
So OZ can only think of 2038.
seems everyone seal the choice of 2026 on China........
CPHbane no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #6520
T74

on China 2026, lets wait to hear from the govt before we get too excited

remember the Chinese footy federation initially intended to bid for 2018.....but then it quietly walked away

nothing like this can happen in China without Beijing's approval, and right now Beijing is not happy with the footy fed due to the issues of corruption in the local comp and the under performance of the national team at the WC level

given Beijing is yet to endorse the 2026 "suggestion", I'd say it happening is far from certain still at this stage
T74 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup