daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 4th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #6521
CPHbane

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
on China 2026, lets wait to hear from the govt before we get too excited

remember the Chinese footy federation initially intended to bid for 2018.....but then it quietly walked away

nothing like this can happen in China without Beijing's approval, and right now Beijing is not happy with the footy fed due to the issues of corruption in the local comp and the under performance of the national team at the WC level

given Beijing is yet to endorse the 2026 "suggestion", I'd say it happening is far from certain still at this stage
just make a assumption

if Beijing officially support CFA's proposal to bid for 2026 and US successfully get 2022

Is it really unbeatable for other asian countries to competite with China?
CPHbane no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #6522
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPHbane View Post
just make a assumption

if Beijing officially support CFA's proposal to bid for 2026 and US successfully get 2022

Is it really unbeatable for other asian countries to competite with China?
big assumption to make, but okay

off course China can be beaten

look at the history of Asian political groups like ASEAN and so on, they loathe the idea of a "big brother" telling them how to live their life and what to do

also don't under estimate the power of India or the mid east nations in Asia - I know China gets all the press, but its not the only emerging power in this part of the world, and I cannot see India or the mid east kow towing to Beijing's every whim

if Beijing want to bid, they will need AFC on board, and that will mean doing a lot more than pissing off current bidding nations by telling them to sod off, and then telling the rest of the AFC to get on board. like all bidding countries, they will have a lot of work to do, and that is just in their own confed
if China starts acting like Asian nations are vassals who will simply roll over if/when it is willing to bid, I suspect a few road blocks will start falling its way
T74 no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #6523
CPHbane

Quote:
big assumption to make, but okay

off course China can be beaten

look at the history of Asian political groups like ASEAN and so on, they loathe the idea of a "big brother" telling them how to live their life and what to do

also don't under estimate the power of India or the mid east nations in Asia - I know China gets all the press, but its not the only emerging power in this part of the world, and I cannot see India or the mid east kow towing to Beijing's every whim

if Beijing want to bid, they will need AFC on board, and that will mean doing a lot more than pissing off current bidding nations by telling them to sod off, and then telling the rest of the AFC to get on board. like all bidding countries, they will have a lot of work to do, and that is just in their own confed
if China starts acting like Asian nations are vassals who will simply roll over if/when it is willing to bid, I suspect a few road blocks will start falling its way

I am not familiar with politics in FIFA,but as far as i see, technically,India and ME countries will not be the direct opponents for China in WC application in the future.especially India, for both ambition for football and national pysche, WC is far far away from India football association. as for ME countries, the hinderance is from external.......they probably could get few shots bar their own region,AFC clearly know it.

Only OZ could threaten to China's bid, to some extent.........

I agree with you point, but i do not think chinese will arrogantly declare WC is in their pocket...... In China's sports history, it should be very weird........actually in my opinion, the optimistic for China's bid is from external, especially FIFA , not from Chinese itself. One more reason why CFA decide not to bid 2018 is because they think national team is not powerful enough......this is very tradional manner, i guess they will not rudely handle it if they really wanna it.

They probably collaborate with US secretly .........because even China does nothing, US still has big hope to get 2022
CPHbane no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #6524
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPHbane View Post
I am not familiar with politics in FIFA,but as far as i see, technically,India and ME countries will not be the direct opponents for China in WC application in the future.especially India, for both ambition for football and national pysche, WC is far far away from India football association. as for ME countries, the hinderance is from external.......they probably could get few shots bar their own region,AFC clearly know it.

Only OZ could threaten to China's bid, to some extent.........

I agree with you point, but i do not think chinese will arrogantly declare WC is in their pocket...... In China's sports history, it should be very weird........actually in my opinion, the optimistic for China's bid is from external, especially FIFA , not from Chinese itself. One more reason why CFA decide not to bid 2018 is because they think national team is not powerful enough......this is very tradional manner, i guess they will not rudely handle it if they really wanna it.

They probably collaborate with US secretly .........because even China does nothing, US still has big hope to get 2022
this isn't about FIFA politics, its Asian politics

India is not a competing bidder, but as an emerging superpower, they will demand some level of respect - and not simply support China because they are "Asian". Remember India and China are fierce rivals right now, so its not like they are chummy on everything

mid east is competing - Qatar. that being said though, China and the mid east have a growing relationship, and it would not shock to see a deal done.

also remember it may not have been the CFA that backed away from 2018. They were very excited initially, and then it went quiet. My personal suspicion is that the CFA ambition was not matched by Beijing's support (due to the internal issues the game faces in China).

Although the corruption case is coming to an end, I'm still not sold that Beijing is ready to fully support a China bid YET. It would involve billions being spent, and I suspect Beijing will be cautious about handing over that kind of money to the CFA until they know they are squeeky clean.

That being said, things can move quickly in China, so anything could happen
T74 no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #6525
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Why will the USA get one of those two?
Lets say 2018 goes to Europe and OZ somehow someway manages to win 2022.

Due to the rotation policy in place only Concacaf, conmebol, and CAF can compete for the rights to host the 2026 WC.

There's no country that compete with the USA for the 2026 WC.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #6526
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Lets say 2018 goes to Europe and OZ somehow someway manages to win 2022.

Due to the rotation policy in place only Concacaf, conmebol, and CAF can compete for the rights to host the 2026 WC.

There's no country that compete with the USA for the 2026 WC.
How about Mexico or Argentina?
T74 no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #6527
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
How about Mexico or Argentina?
Or Morocco or Egypt or Colombia? No shot. All of the above are capable, but these countries just can't compete with the strength of the USA bid, especially if it loses out on both the 2018/2022 tournaments. But I just don't see Aussie getting 2022 over the USA, FIFA would be passing over a cash cow. And that would be very un-FIFA-like.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #6528
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Or Morocco or Egypt or Colombia? No shot. All of the above are capable, but these countries just can't compete with the strength of the USA bid, especially if it loses out on both the 2018/2022 tournaments. But I just don't see Aussie getting 2022 over the USA, FIFA would be passing over a cash cow. And that would be very un-FIFA-like.
thats one reason why these bids have a chance though

i'm on record here as saying the USA bid is the one to beat for 2022, but when you hear US people saying their bid is almost a certainty because they are so awesome compared to elsewhere, it puts others off

UK is already up against this, with the perception of their entitlement to 2018 helping Russia get some good traction. whether its true or not is irrelevant (and I believe in the UK case for instance its not true), perception is everything.

USA bid has been bloody good to date, much better than NY 2012 and Chicago 2016 which were far too arrogant IMO, but in a contest like this you can never take anything for granted, or assume you will get support just because you have the biggest toys
T74 no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #6529
slipperydog

I agree with what you're saying. But for one you're comparing 100 IOC voters to 25 World Cup voters. And despite what Americans on here may spout, the USA bid committee, with USSF president Sunil Gulati/Bill Clinton/Brad Pitt/Morgan Freeman/the Governator Arnold, are anything but arrogant. Plus, we Yanks are relatively new at this soccer thing, we don't have the ingrained arrogance of the Brits and their football that we may have developed with all our Olympic bids over the years. While we will be surprised if we don't get 2022, we feel Aussie would be a perfectly acceptable alternative and the obvious choice.
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #6530
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
I agree with what you're saying. But for one you're comparing 100 IOC voters to 25 World Cup voters. And despite what Americans on here may spout, the USA bid committee, with USSF president Sunil Gulati/Bill Clinton/Brad Pitt/Morgan Freeman/the Governator Arnold, are anything but arrogant. Plus, we Yanks are relatively new at this soccer thing, we don't have the ingrained arrogance of the Brits and their football. While we will be surprised if we don't get 2022, we feel Aussie would be a perfectly acceptable alternative and the obvious choice.
as mentioned, this bid has been really good on this factor

only fear is if AU/QT get 2022, I agree US is almost a cert to get 2026. If they act like it though, someone like Mexico could stage an upset.

the number of delegates is actually a bigger issue for FIFA. you can afford to piss off individuals in the IOC, as one vote rarely kills you. one vote can with FIFA, so you cannot afford to lose anyone.
T74 no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #6531
slipperydog

What I meant about the voters more so, is that we tend to be much more respected within FIFA than the IOC. In the IOC we are seen as "the fat cat", the country with the big ego that's already hosted more than any other and that at times has acted as if hosting is our birthright. After Salt Lake 2002, the IOC is now looking for ways to give the USA the finger. But we are looked upon much more kindly in FIFA, as we are kind of seen as the new kid on the block with great potential...and the monetary muscle to boot.
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #6532
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

I'm more convinced than ever that Europe will ensure it gets 2018 with UEFA sorting its 9 votes very early so that the USA are out of the equation.The USA can only really count on CONCACAF for 2018,whereas in 2022 there have strong support from CONMEMBOL and a few UEFA votes.
2022 is all about the first round.The USA will have the most votes in round 1 for sure but its what happens in the AFC that really matters.
If ,as expected,the 2002 co hosts are the first 2 out of the running then then game changes .But until December we can't say for sure and thats the worry for some of us.
I've been through all the scenarios for both and the voting was a little different to what I expected.For 2018 ,first out the Dutch/Belgians ,followed by the USA then Russia and finally Spain with the English getting 16 votes
2022 proved far tighter-`13-11-thats all I'll say
_X_ no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #6533
Big Cat

Likes (Received): 4

Is China Ready to Host the World Cup — in 16 Years?

Read here: http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...#ixzz0vfe2KriV
Big Cat no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #6534
CPHbane

Updated feedback from CAF's attitute towards WC bidding:

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...sl=zh-CN&tl=en (Chinese edition auto-translated by google)

from the biggest dedicated football newspaper,"football" in China, interviews Weidi,Head of CAF, after his meeting with senior AFC official

Perspective:
1 China will bid for WC 2026
2 China probably will not win in battle for 2026 because it is the first time to bid (although nonsense......but this is his original point)
3 FIFA eagerly hopes China to host WC, but CAF could not determine whether to bid it or not. CAF lacks the decisive power in all the process.
4 Majority of senior level officials hope to bid for WC 2026. <Xinhua internal opinion>, which is widely circulated and read by CCP, will publish articles to support for WC2026 bid.

"Football": China is also bidding for the World Cup, will this affect the bid of Korea and Japan?

Weidi: I believe that those who truly understand the law of the World Cup bid, will not belive that, because of our bid ,there is a resentment from Japan and South Korea。First, they bid for the 2022, the time span is relatively large。 Although FIFA president Sepp Blatter actively want China to bid for the World Cup, but the real China's bid, he can give rights to china when china bid for WC for the forst time 。 Because for the first time will give you, then the World Cup around the world greatly reduced the commercial value of large, and FIFA would like to get you looking to Zhao, the state has touched, so we even bid in 2026, their earliest until 2030 to give you. 2030-2022 8 years between the time, the time span is quite large, so the impact on South Korea and Japan is not fatal, they can not say that the Chinese bid and feel disgusted.

Perhaps 2022 will have some interference, this should be acknowledged。 24 FIFA executive committee will take its bid for 2026 may be an issue, it may affect Japan and South Korea, Qatar. So Harman said, (China is releasing the news now) This time is not good.

"Football": the idea for China's bid to host the World Cup, the response of other countries?

Weidi: In my contact with the Asian brothers, all feedback is long overdue bid to host the Chinese are supported.

"Football": Qatar has also bid, Harman said the timing is not good, whether they think China will affect them?

Weidi: According to FIFA regulations, 7 years ahead of hosting the World Cup to receive, accept that began in 2019, so I said to Haman, to apply it until 2019, still early, and you should not have affected.

Last edited by CPHbane; August 5th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.
CPHbane no está en línea  
Old August 6th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #6535
Trelawny
BANNED

wow i just noticed how England is going to host the 2015 rugby world cup??!!! wtf is this bullshyt!

2018 Belgium & The Netherlands!

2022 Australia

2026 Morocco
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #6536
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
wow i just noticed how England is going to host the 2015 rugby world cup??!!! wtf is this bullshyt!

2018 Belgium & The Netherlands!

2022 Australia

2026 Morocco
And how is this bullshit? They clearly made the better bid, with Italy, South Africa and Japan (host of 2019) losing.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #6537
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

He's a troll, ignore him

Last edited by RobH; August 6th, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old August 6th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #6538
Trelawny
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
And how is this bullshit? They clearly made the better bid, with Italy, South Africa and Japan (host of 2019) losing.
It means they are greedy and don't deserve the 2018 world cup anymore.
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:04 AM   #6539
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
It means they are greedy and don't deserve the 2018 world cup anymore.
greedy? no one is accusing Brasil (2014 WC & 2016 SOG) or China (08 SOG 10 WE) of being greedy
T74 no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #6540
Trelawny
BANNED

Quote:
greedy? no one is accusing Brasil (2014 WC & 2016 SOG) or China (08 SOG 10 WE) of being greedy
Silly Aussie, the Rugby world cup and the Fifa World cup are like the same thing. They both take place throughout the country. Unlike the Olympics which only takes place in one city. Do you understand? They are the same scale of event and they should NOT be hosted 3 years apart. .

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup