daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 24th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #6641
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

Blatter warns England's 2018 bid
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...cernet&cc=3436
crazyalex no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #6642
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

No freedom of speech? So I think if Russia gets the bid, I'll go down to the middle of St Petersburg Square with a few buddies and hold up big signs that say "Putin is a commie motherf****. Go USA!"

Just to see what happens...
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #6643
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
Yes, I know it, but what about world in general (and particually in European non-English speaking states) - it's possible to compare it with football or Olympic events. I'm saw only few TV-translations in Russia and it's some difficult to know the real level of popularity for this kind of sport.

In other words, will FIFA pay any attention to this? Do they know about Rugby events?
FIFA certainly do know of the Rugby World Cup, it is a highly prestigious event which under many critera ranks as the 3rd largest Sports tournament in the World behinfd the FIFA WC and the Summer Olympics. There are also many healthy parallels in the 2 tournaments. If England is awarded 2018, FIFA would certainly pay attention to the RWC but I can't see it being in the negative. It would be seen as an encouraging "dress rehersal" by FIFA and far more closer to the mark than the Confederations Cup. FIFA has had no problems in the past (Mexico and West Germany) and in the future (Brazil) going to a Nation which is home to the host city of the most recent Summer Olympics.

Rugby Union's international size is a matter of perspective. It doesn't compare to Soccer in popularity of depth but it is still one of the most widely spread team sports in the world and one of the few which can justify large stadiums build for it's own use. The RWC has less teams playing than the FIFA WC but the average crowds are not much smaller. With the last 3 RWC's averaging 42 683, 38 282 and 47 150. This says that though there is a smaller pool of "elite" Rugby Nations, Rugby Union is still a very successful spectator sport.

After all that, I'm personally neutral in regards to which UEFA nation hosts 2018.

Last edited by Walbanger; August 24th, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #6644
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

It's no way third. Formula 1, Hockey, Basketball and might be even Tennis are more popular, not talking about athletic championships.
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #6645
Walbanger

I did write "which under many critera ranks as the 3rd largest Sports tournament in the World". There is no fully conclusive way to judge this but there is evidence to say it is in the vicinity. The same goes for arguing which is larger and / or more illustrious out of the FIFA WC or the Summer Olympics. The only other event I can think of that challenges the RWC for 3rd is the UEFA European Football Championship but the RWC may have just past it in 1999, though it would be close.
You can look it up for yourself if you want. F1 is an annual series not a Touranment. Hockey and Basketball are popular but which "Tournament" are you thinking about?
Hockey and Basketballs World Championships are somewhat watered down by a legitimate and coverted Olympic Competition, Rugby Union doesn't have that. The former two may be as popular, even more so than Rubgy Union but their major championship is not to the scale or does it have the turnover of the Rugby World Cup, there isn't demand for 600 000 tickets either.
Hockey, Basketball, Tennis and Rugby are all more popular than most Olympic Sports but we acknowledge the size and prestiege of the Olympic Games.

As for Tennis, it isn't even clear which Grand Slam is number one. Wimbledon is the most prestigious, The French Open has the widest worldwide broadcasting and audience and currently largest pool of prize money, The Australian Open and US open generally have a larger attendance than the other two.

http://fulltext.ausport.gov.au/fullt...tOfRWC2003.pdf
(Look at page 9 for brief summary)

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/mediazo...d=2039040.html
(Look at 3rd paragraph)

http://www.austrade.gov.au/From-the-...s/default.aspx

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/u...42f00aRCRD.htm
(Acknowledgment from a neutral party)

Last edited by Walbanger; August 24th, 2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #6646
crazyalex

Rugby were 5th
http://www.worldsbiggests.com/2010/0...sports-in.html

and ofcouse Rugby aren't popular in Russia
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #6647
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7063

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyalex View Post
Rugby were 5th

WOW! I'm checked information about Rugby World Cups and learned that Russian team (like Georgian) will be play in final tournament of Rugby WC!!!!
Hmm, I never heard this news before.
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #6648
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Rugby were 5th

Cricket is the second most popular sport in the world?!!! I was sured that only Commonwealth states know about this game.

And American Football on 9th place? I was sured that nobody outside USA heard about this game.

By the way, are Rugby and American Football same kinds of sport?
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #6649
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
I did write "which under many critera ranks as the 3rd largest Sports tournament in the World". There is no fully conclusive way to judge this but there is evidence to say it is in the vicinity. The same goes for arguing which is larger and / or more illustrious out of the FIFA WC or the Summer Olympics. The only other event I can think of that challenges the RWC for 3rd is the UEFA European Football Championship but the RWC may have just past it in 1999, though it would be close.
You can look it up for yourself if you want. F1 is an annual series not a Touranment. Hockey and Basketball are popular but which "Tournament" are you thinking about?
Hockey and Basketballs World Championships are somewhat watered down by a legitimate and coverted Olympic Competition, Rugby Union doesn't have that. The former two may be as popular, even more so than Rubgy Union but their major championship is not to the scale or does it have the turnover of the Rugby World Cup, there isn't demand for 600 000 tickets either.
Hockey, Basketball, Tennis and Rugby are all more popular than most Olympic Sports but we acknowledge the size and prestiege of the Olympic Games.

As for Tennis, it isn't even clear which Grand Slam is number one. Wimbledon is the most prestigious, The French Open has the widest worldwide broadcasting and audience and currently largest pool of prize money, The Australian Open and US open generally have a larger attendance than the other two.

http://fulltext.ausport.gov.au/fullt...tOfRWC2003.pdf
(Look at page 9 for brief summary)

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/mediazo...d=2039040.html
(Look at 3rd paragraph)

http://www.austrade.gov.au/From-the-...s/default.aspx

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/u...42f00aRCRD.htm
(Acknowledgment from a neutral party)
I wonder why the French Open is the most viewed. To me it is the least exciting. Its just too slow.

I actually prefer the history of Wimbeldon,

The Aus and US Opens are on a par for excitement, but they both lack the historical element. They are the modern slams afterall
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #6650
crazyalex

Quote:
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #6651
Walbanger

Quote:
Rugby were 5th

Rugby Union may be 5th most popular team sport but that doesn't mean that the Rugby World Cup isn't the 3rd largest Sporting tournament in the world. Australia's national sport is Cricket and we're better at it than Rugby but we're aware that the Rugby World Cup is larger and more prestigious than the Cricket World Cup.

In that very article you posted it says "The 16-nation Rugby World Cup is the third largest single sporting event, achieving an average attendance of more than 45,000 and an estimated television audience in excess of two billion".

Quote:
Cricket is the second most popular sport in the world?!!! I was sured that only Commonwealth states know about this game.

And American Football on 9th place? I was sured that nobody outside USA heard about this game.

Yes Rugby and American football are the "same kind of sport" as American Football is mostly a localised evolved version of the parent game Rugby via Canada. Born out of Rugby School Rules and influenced by the Eton Wall game and previous older Medievel "Football" games rather than the Sheffield and Cambridge Rules which gave birth to the Football Association.
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #6652
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Yes Rugby and American football are the "same kind of sport" as American Football is mostly a localised evolved version of the parent game Rugby via Canada. Born out of Rugby School Rules and influenced by the Eton Wall game and previous older Medievel "Football" games rather than the Sheffield and Cambridge Rules which gave birth to the Football Association.
So why American football players have no success at the Rugby World Cups?
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #6653
rus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmat View Post
Well...How can you stop talking about politics, when the basic human rights in Russia are thrown to the dogs. Country has no freedom of speech. Would you like a country like this to host the Mundial? I do not.

For example. Russia was awarded the Olympic games. But most of the city of Sochi has no sewer system and what they have is just regularly dump to the sea without any treatment.

The city of Sochi has no storm water facilities. Instead of building the Olympic infrastructure, they should really concentrate on making livable conditions for the Russian citizens. On top of this all. The city of Sochi is isolated from the rest of Russia, connected only by an old mountain road, built during the Tsar’s times..
Протоукр недоділаний жери своє сало з горілкой та не встрявай в тему, яка тебе не стосується. Що у вас бендерлогів за звичка така, спочатку соснути у якогось англійця, потім підставити дупу канадійцю. Чи на Канадщині всі свідоміти такі ж підораси
Sorry for offtopic
rus no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #6654
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

you have to remember cricket is very popular in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh - all very populous countries

American football has a massive penetration in the USA (I understand it is easily the no. 1 sport there now), and with a pop of over 300 million thats a lot of people
T74 no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #6655
Walbanger

Quote:
So why American football players have no success at the Rugby World Cups?
Because they are not the exact same sport let alone under the same governing bodies. They are historically related (American Football evolved from Rugby) but have different rules, positions and physical requirements, not unlike Squash and Raquetball, Surfing and Bodyboarding or Ice Hockey and Bandy. Given enough time, players from either possibly could made the transition to the other code but there isn't strong enough push and pull factors.

We really are side tracked now. So to sum it all up American Football is on the Rugby side of the Football family tree and I can't see the 2015 Rugby World Cup in England being a negative to the the 2018 England bid. The Rugby WC is not a threat to the FIFA WC and FIFA may very well see it as a realistic dress rehersal should England's bid win the 2018 tournament.

Last edited by Walbanger; August 24th, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #6656
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
I wonder why the French Open is the most viewed. To me it is the least exciting. Its just too slow.

I actually prefer the history of Wimbeldon,

The Aus and US Opens are on a par for excitement, but they both lack the historical element. They are the modern slams afterall
Hello!

I'm not fan of Rugby or American Football, but I like to see tennis.

I see some reasons for it:
1) Grass surface is not popular today. The tournaments on grass surface played only within one month from 11 of tennis season (January-November), including two weeks of Wimbledon tournament.
2) Despite of all efforts of the organizers, the grass surface is heavily damaged during the tournament. In the second week of Wimbledon it looks poorly.
3) Wimbledon tournament is so conservative and aristocratic. The rule of white clothes for players look like anachronism.
4) At Roland Garros I can see all beauty of smart combinational play, all beauty of tennis. At Wimbledon it almost impossible to be competitive in the matches against players who have big physical force (like Williams sisters). It almost impossible to resist against strong shots. And players offen won the points only after few shots.

Therefore I'm not suprised that Roland Garros look more interesting than "elite" Wimbledon tournament.
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #6657
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
you have to remember cricket is very popular in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh - all very populous countries

American football has a massive penetration in the USA (I understand it is easily the no. 1 sport there now), and with a pop of over 300 million thats a lot of people
Yes, but the other kinds of sport have wider international recognition. It's so strange to see Cricket, Baseball, American Football (these kinds of sport are popular only in the some world regions) in one row with Volleyball (FIVB is bigger federation by the number of its members), Basketball, Football, Tennis or Road Cycling.

FIVB (Volleyball) - 220 members;
FIBA (Basketball) - 213 members;
FIFA (Football) - 208 members;
ITF (Tennis) - 205 members

IRB (Rugby) - 115 members;
ICC (Cricket) - 104 members;
IBAF (Baseball) - 112 members.

By the way, baseball is only kind of sport for many years, which was excluded from the Olympic program. Therefore I'm sured that this rating of popular kinds of sport was made for English-speaking readers and very subjective.
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #6658
Walbanger

It's not so subjective when one looks at the financial turnover, tv revenue and attendance numbers of Sports like Rugby, Cricket and Baseball. Volleyball may be a popular recreational pursuit but can't hold a candle to the 3 above in financial sophistication and strength. Having more than 100 nation members is more than enough to encompass the world and have global appeal.

Tennis is massive but isn't a team sport in the mold of Rugby, Soccer, Cricket, Baseball etc so it doesn't compare appropriately. Yeah it has doubles and the Davis and Fed Cups but the main focus and prestige is found in the Singles titles of the Grand Slams.

Last edited by Walbanger; August 24th, 2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old August 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #6659
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
It's not so subjective when one looks at the financial turnover, tv revenue and attendance numbers of Sports like Rugby, Cricket and Baseball. Volleyball may be a popular recreational pursuit but can't hold a candle to the 3 above in financial sophistication and strength. Having more than 100 nation members is more than enough to encompass the world and have global appeal.

Tennis is massive but isn't a team sport in the mold of Rugby, Soccer, Cricket, Baseball etc so it doesn't compare appropriately. Yeah it has doubles and the Davis and Fed Cups but the main focus and prestige is found in the Singles titles of the Grand Slams.
Please answer on one more question. I listen about such kind of sport which named "Australian Football". Is it variation of European Football, American Football or Rugby? Is "Australian Football" also among top kind of sport in the world according to these ratings?
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #6660
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Australian rules football is a sport which is only really played within Australia in any significant numbers. And within Australia it is the dominant sport in four of the six states (in the other states, Rugby League is the dominant sport), though it is gaining popularity throughout the country.

It is most closely related to Gaelic football, and is not really comparable to European football, American football or Rugby.

The aim of the game is to kick an oval ball through the goal. Players are allowed to use their hands, and the sport is contact, though not as rough as either Rugby or American Football.

I havent seen the ratings, but given Australias small population, and the fact the sport is limited to Australia, I cant see it being rated as very popular internationally.

Last edited by woozoo; August 24th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
woozoo no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup