daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 27th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #6681
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post

Going to be either Russia or England for 2018, and Australia or Qatar for 2022. People should agree, unless they are blind.
I am not sure how far people agree, but the USA is also a possible host for 2022 along with Qatar and Australia, i wonder why you specifically had it in the 2018 section.,,,
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #6682
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Explanation-Read Slowly

2018 is strongly predicted to be Europe or a Currently Prepared country. That being said all of Europe is placed in 2018, and USA which is a Currently Prepared country that is NOT an Experiment.

2022 will have the Experiment countries, which are countries that haven't been tested before ( Australia, Qatar). Fifa wouldn't give USA a 2022 slot because they know they can deliver a successful games without the extra time, they are going to save this spot for the non-Euro Experiment Newbies.

Japan & Korea are not new and are currently prepared, but since they just hosted in 2002 they have the worst chances in the bid.

USA have the second worst chances behind #1 shared between Japan and Korea. Since they hosted it fairly recent is a factor. And because they just aren't needed. Example 2018 is favoured Europe. The only way USA would get the bid is if Fifa felt the Europe bids for 2018 would not deliver, so they would be a safety or backup. But I don't think that would happen in this bid.

Portugal/Spain and Belgium/Netherlands just can't compete with an England or Russian bid, plain and simple.

Russia or England 2018
Australia or Qatar 2022
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #6683
Chimbanha

Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
2018 is strongly predicted to be Europe or a Currently Prepared country. That being said all of Europe is placed in 2018, and USA which is a Currently Prepared country that is NOT an Experiment.

2022 will have the Experiment countries, which are countries that haven't been tested before ( Australia, Qatar). Fifa wouldn't give USA a 2022 slot because they know they can deliver a successful games without the extra time, they are going to save this spot for the non-Euro Experiment Newbies.

Japan & Korea are not new and are currently prepared, but since they just hosted in 2002 they have the worst chances in the bid.

USA have the second worst chances behind #1 shared between Japan and Korea. Since they hosted it fairly recent is a factor. And because they just aren't needed. Example 2018 is favoured Europe. The only way USA would get the bid is if Fifa felt the Europe bids for 2018 would not deliver, so they would be a safety or backup. But I don't think that would happen in this bid.

Portugal/Spain and Belgium/Netherlands just can't compete with an England or Russian bid, plain and simple.

Russia or England 2018
Australia or Qatar 2022
I kinda agree with your logic, but my conclusion is different. Russia is the experimental bid among the Europeans, so they'll go the risky way in 2018 and do 2022 in a safe country, the U.S.
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #6684
geoone

Likes (Received): 4

Exactly. I was just gonna say that Russia is also "experimental".

FIFA 2018/22 inspection team leader stated after Russia's evaluation visit, that if Russia was going to host this, they'd have to start work IMMEDIATELY to have everything ready in time.

So this would seem to suggest the opposite order of what you have if the vote were to pan out that way. Why give the U.S. the extra time when obviously Russia would need it more.
geoone no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #6685
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
I kinda agree with your logic, but my conclusion is different. Russia is the experimental bid among the Europeans, so they'll go the risky way in 2018 and do 2022 in a safe country, the U.S.
Japan more safe country than the United State..

Global Peace Index ranking
Japan.............3
Portugal.........13 & Spain..25
Qatar..............15
Belgium...........17 & Netherland..27
Austaila..........19
United Kingdom.31 (England, Wales, scotland, N. Ireland)
South Korea......43
United State......85
Russia............143

8 or 12 year future those ranking will change
crazyalex no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #6686
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1102

Interesting. Australia may not have hosted the FIFA WC before but it don't see it as "experimental". Australia like almost all the bids are sticking to the tried and true layout of the tournament. We're a wealthy, stable country with highly developed infrastructure and very mild winters where beaches are still used, especially in Sydney, Perth, Gold Coast and Townsville. The Stadiums and bars will be full. FIFA would have no doubts about Australia's ability to successfully host the event. I don't see why Australia isn't also a Safe option.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #6687
geoone

Quote:
I think if FIFA wants to go the "safe/back-up" way, that would be England. Sepp Blatter was quoted as saying; "going to England would be EASY. The fans are there, the stadiums are there, the infrastructure is there, it's 'easy'". So it all depends what FIFA really wants. Do they want easy, or do they want some risk with a bigger leagacy pay-off in the end.

And while the U.S. may have hosted it fairly recent, in terms of further promoting soccer as a major league sport in the U.S. is still something that FIFA would most likely consider as well in terms of legacy. Major league soccer was founded in the U.S. in 1993 as part of the 1994 World Cup in the U.S.

Soccer is still not very popular in the U.S. compared to baseball, football & basketball. So another FIFA World Cup in the U.S. could catapult the sport into a new level, just like the first one started the way to a U.S. major league soccer federation. Besides, Germany hosted again after only 32 years.
geoone no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #6688
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoone View Post
And while the U.S. may have hosted it fairly recent, in terms of further promoting soccer as a major league sport in the U.S. is still something that FIFA would most likely consider as well in terms of legacy. Major league soccer was founded in the U.S. in 1993 as part of the 1994 World Cup in the U.S.

Soccer is still not very popular in the U.S. compared to baseball, football & basketball. So another FIFA World Cup in the U.S. could catapult the sport into a new level, just like the first one started the way to a U.S. major league soccer federation. Besides, Germany hosted again after only 32 years.
This is a good point. Legacy is still very much in play for the USA. Because back in 1994 when the league was launched, there was almost zero backing by the American sports media, only by the USSF. Nowadays, ESPN has become very pro-soccer. And frankly, ESPN is the king, whatever they tell Americans to be interested in, they are. People couldn't care less about poker and Little League Baseball 10 years ago, but now they do because ESPN broadcasts those events and tells Americans to be interested.

In short, if USA gets the bid for 2022, coupled with natural growth/prestige of the MLS over the next 10 years and two more World Cup cycles with massive media coverage, the 2022 World Cup could be the event that helps soccer finally supplant the NHL as the fourth biggest sport in this country.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #6689
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

The USA will definitely host 2026 if they miss out on 2018 or 2022 .
UEFA and the AFC will be out of the running while CAF simply couldn't find a strong enough opponent(Egypt/Morocco) and CONMEBOL would be chasing the centennial in 2030

None of the other bids have that luxury,and for some such as Australia-this is it,we simply won't be able to compete with the emerging superpowers in the area such as China and India when they finally get there football act together
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #6690
_X_

I think this is quite relevant

Bin Hammam rules out FIFA top job tilt
August 27, 2010 - 3:54PM

AFP

Asian Football Confederation chief Mohamed Bin Hammam has ruled out a bid for the FIFA presidency next year, opening the door for Sepp Blatter to run the world game for another four years.

The 61-year-old Qatari is seen as a successor to the 74-year-old Swiss and one of the few people with the potential to unseat him, but he appears ready to bide his time.

"Let me be very clear, I will not run for the next FIFA election. I will be backing Sepp Blatter to remain in office for a new mandate," Bin Hammam told AFP on Friday.
Advertisement: Story continues below

His decision not to run follows a similar move by Michel Platini earlier this year. The Frenchman was also considered a key candidate but he will seek a second term as UEFA president instead.

The Qatari, seen as a moderniser, has been AFC chief since 2002 and has overseen the launch of the AFC Champions League and the admission of Australia into the confederation.

Bin Hammam, a FIFA executive committee member, said he would similarly seek re-election as AFC president next year.

"My aim is to run for the next election of AFC president due at the start of 2011," he said.

"Hopefully I will get the full confidence of all the national associations."

After 12 years in office, Blatter has made clear he has no plans on leaving when his term runs out on June 11, 2011, saying he has not finished his mission.

The Swiss was elected FIFA president in 1998 and won a fierce re-election fight in 2002 before being returned unopposed in 2007.

The Asian bloc, the biggest football confederation in the world, wields 46 votes in the presidential election and will play a vital role in deciding whether Blatter continues his reign.

Bin Hammam rocked the boat earlier this year by saying he would like to see an Asian as president of world football's governing body.

He also said he believed that all FIFA presidents should be limited to two terms. Before Blatter, Brazil's Joao Havelange led FIFA for 24 years.

His remarks led to tensions between Bin Hammam and Blatter, but by last month they had ironed out their differences and the two powerbrokers appeared together at the Soccerex Asia Forum in Singapore.

"Even with my own brother, the son of my father and mother, sometimes I have arguments and differences. Blatter is not going to be an exception," Bin Hammam said then when asked about their disagreements.

"Even though there are differences sometimes, he is my good friend."

Bin Hammam also congratulated Blatter for his decision to take the World Cup to South Africa, a move many critics thought would backfire.

"I have to put on the record that Blatter's bet on South Africa has paid off. Much of the credit has to go to his personal efforts and determination," he said.

When the pair next appeared together, again in Singapore, for the launch of the Youth Olympic football tournament this month, it was Blatter's turn to lavish praise, saying Bin Hammam had changed the face of Asian football.

"In terms of administration and organisation, AFC is really professional. From Vision Asia, the AFC Champions League to the development of referees, AFC are doing very well," said Blatter.

"This is all due to the hard work of my friend, AFC president Mohamed Bin Hammam. He has made so much effort to take Asian football to new heights. He has contributed so much to the rapid progress of Asian football."
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...827-13vbz.html
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #6691
Trelawny
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
I think it's more 50/50 for Russia.

Of course Fifa have never tested or experimented with a eastern euro country before, and Russia is somewhat less wealthy. So that can make it an experiment.

However, Russia having a population if 190 million, being in Europe ,having the football culture and being an economic powerhouse can make it a strong 2018 bid.

Australia and Qatar are more 2022 experiment. They are further away from Europe where a large fan base comes from. They don't have the population. They have good economies but aren't a powerhouse. And most important they don't have football culture. Russia is football hyped, they wouldn't need 8 years to get into the football culture where Qatar and Australia would.
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #6692
geoone

Russia poses a big risk as far as stadia goes, however. They are proposing 10 new stadiums to be built for the tournament, & that in itself is "experimental".

FIFA 2018/2022 Inspection Team Leader, Harold Mayne-Nicholls, has already stated that Russia would have to start work "immediately" if they were to host the tournament.

So it all depends how confortable FIFA would be with Russia being able to deliver all that new stadia in less than 8 years time. Otherwise, I'd say 2022 would be a better option for Russia if FIFA were to have some reservations on preps.
geoone no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #6693
Trelawny
BANNED

True

I still believe 2018 is Europe, so i wouldn't move them to 2022. I think Fifa can trust the Russians. They are building normal stadiums and have the people and money to build them on time. Russia looks like a proud nation that wouldn't mess things up, when they were competing against their rivals to get the competition ( USA, England).

Qatar building some new tech stadiums and might need to bring in labour workers. 8 years should be left for them or Australia only.

Last edited by Trelawny; August 27th, 2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old August 28th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #6694
Fobos2030

Likes (Received): 3189

Sochi has a very poor infrastructure. When Sochi was biding there was many questions like can we trust russians? Will they build all we need for WO? Now you can check out this threads:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1004931
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=945472
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=244549

Even in crises we didn’t reduce investments in Olympic Games.

For WC we purposing 12 new stadiums and a huge number of new infrastructure objects like roads, airports, hotels and else.
Our government gave FIFA all guaranties they need. Medvedev and Putin told by them self that we will build all is need for WC. We can do this You can trust Russians
Old August 28th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #6695
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Dear Forumers

All political discussions or discussion related to racism are now banned.

It is clear that these issues aren't being debated constructively, and are therefore off limits entirely.

Post of this nature, including replies will result in infractions. Persistent posts of the nature will result in forumers being banned.

This thread is closed until further notice.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2010, 03:05 AM   #6696
_X_

FIFA arrives to assess Spain-Portugal's bid for 2018 World Cup

By The Associated Press (CP) – 3 hours ago

MADRID — A FIFA delegation began its trip to asses Spain and Portugal's joint bid to host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup on Monday, saying the countries got off to a good start by presenting all the required documents on time.

FIFA delegation leader Harold Mayne-Nicholls said the body's seventh and final inspection tour in Europe would last four days and take in both countries, with only the United States and Qatar still to be visited.

Spain's Interior Ministry said in a statement Monday that it was due to present FIFA's evaluation committee with the security plans for the joint candidature.

Miguel Angel Lopez, the bid's CEO, said Madrid and Barcelona would be visited in Spain and Porto and Lisbon in Portugal. He said the joint bid was strong because it included seven elite category stadiums.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...H0O9g0fGEngGsg
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:13 AM   #6697
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Candidatura Ibérica com "boas possibilidades" em receber Mundial
20h02m

O chefe da delegação da FIFA que visitou durante quatro dias Portugal e Espanha afirmou hoje, quinta-feira, que "ficou bem impressionado" e revelou que a Candidatura Ibérica "tem boas possibilidades" de organizar o Mundial de futebol de 2018/2022.

"Após esta visita, foi possível notar que a Candidatura Ibérica é mais do que uma ilusão e que tem boas possibilidades de receber uma competição como o Campeonato do Mundo", disse o chileno Harold Mayne-Nicholls, numa declaração proferida num hotel em Lisboa.

O responsável da FIFA, que nos últimos dois dias visitou o Estádio do Dragão e o Estádio da Luz, considerou que os recintos espanhóis e portugueses "são o cenário ideal para milhões de desportistas e adeptos" e que as conclusões "são muito positivas".

"Ficámos bem impressionados. São estádios que possuem uma rica história, de tradição reconhecida. Foi também interessante a presença de importantes figuras do futebol mundial, jogadores e treinadores do passado e do presente, que querem o Mundial na Península Ibérica", disse Harold Mayne-Nicholls.

O chefe da delegação da FIFA mostrou-se também satisfeito com as infraestruturas hoteleiras e rodoviárias e com a criação de uma rede de TGV (comboio de alta velocidade) entre os dois países.

"Viajámos dessa forma entre Barcelona e Madrid e ficámos impressionados com a segurança, a velocidade e a pontualidade", referiu.

Antes do final da sua declaração, Harold Mayne-Nicholls pediu ainda "uma melhor coordenação entre as organizações de futebol, o governo e as autoridades locais".

Além das duas candidaturas conjuntas Espanha/Portugal e Bélgica/Holanda, estão também no terreno as da Rússia, Inglaterra, Austrália, Estados Unidos, Indonésia, Japão, México, Qatar e Coreia do Sul.

A FIFA escolherá as sedes dos mundiais de futebol de 2018 e 2022 em 2 de Dezembro do ano em curso.

Source

Meaning, they were impressed and said that Portugal and Spain have good chances of hosting the World Cup.

Harold Mayne-Nicholls also mentioned that Portugal and Spain stadiums are the ideal scenery for millions of sportsmen and fans and that their (FIFA delegation) conclusions are very positive.

To him, these stadiums have a rich history and known tradition. They also liked the presence of past and present players and managers.

They're satisfied with hotels and railroads and with the creation of a high-speed rail system between the two countries, having tried it from Madrid to Barcelona. They were impressed with the speed, security and punctuality.

He only asked for a better coordenation between football bodies, the Government and local authorities.

Oh well, I bet they say this to everyone.
Aka no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:17 AM   #6698
Aka

Quote:

FIFA finishes the inspection assuring that their report will be very favourable
02 - 09 - 2010

“The Iberian Bid has many chances of being elected to organise the Football World Cup 2018/2002, and our report is going to be very positive because we have observed that they have a great sport, hotel and transport infrastructure, as well as a strong support from their political and sports authorities”, assured in his good-bye Mr. Harold Mayne-Nicolls from Chile, head of the FIFA inspectors’ delegation that has spent the last few days in Spain and Portugal.

FIFA’s inspection visit to Spain and Portugal has come to an end. During today’s working session, the group of evaluators headed by the Chilean Mr. Harold Mayne-Nicolls was in Lisbon. That was the final stage of the visit in which, during the last four days, the Iberian Bid has shown the ambassadors of the highest body of world football the cities and stadiums that would host the organisation of the World Cup 2018/2022, if Spain and Portugal’s joint bid is elected on December 2nd.

As a conclusion to the four days they have spent in Spain and Portugal, the FIFA inspectors thanked the collaboration they have received from the Iberian Bid representatives to help them achieve the proposed aim: to see ‘in situ’ and know those infrastructures and stadiums that have been suggested for the organisation of the World Cup 2018/2022, and to be able to prepare their report.

They expressed their satisfaction after checking that the response by both the Spanish and the Portuguese governments about the initiative to organise the World Cup was unanimous. There is close cooperation between both countries. “We are sure that the coordination on a State level which would be necessary if the World Cup came to the Iberian Peninsula is fully guaranteed”, Mr. Mayne-Nicolls stated. He also emphasised how important it is that no problems exist with visas for foreigners, as well as the cooperation between both countries in security matters.

The inspectors will also take with them a good impression about the infrastructures and means of transport, airports and hotels they have seen. They highlighted the trip from Madrid to Barcelona in a high-speed train, “we were fully satisfied both by its safety and by its comfort, and mainly by its punctuality”, he assured. He equally stressed the excellence of the stadiums visited, “ideal sceneries for millions of sportspeople who follow football on a permanent basis”.

In short, the visit to Spain and Portugal has been highly valued by the FIFA inspectors. The Iberian Bid representatives will have to continue working until December 2nd, the date on which the name of the bid elected to organise the World Cup of 2018 and 2022 will be known but, for the time being, a great result has been obtained with the effort made.

Prior to their good-bye, the six FIFA men inspected Benfica’s Do Sports stadium, proposed to host one of the semi-finals of the tournament. The Vice-President of the Lisboan club, Mr. Rui Gomes da Silva, along with the legendary players Eusebio, Toni and Humberto Coelho –who was once the national team coach, too– also welcomed the group. There, apart from seeing the sports facilities, they had the chance to observe how the eagle “Victória”, the club’s mascot, flies over the pitch of the stadium, something that impressed the group of inspectors as well.

Source
. .
Aka no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:28 AM   #6699
Aka

By the way, it seems one semi-final will be played at Estádio da Luz and the third place match at Dragão.

No surprises.
Aka no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM   #6700
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

British Media keeps denigrate opponents.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ack-white.html

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup