daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 4th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #6721
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by AILD View Post
Does FIFA know about Spain and Portugal debt problems?
And your point is...?

All the major stadiums are private (except for La Cartuja). Most of them were already built.

There's no need to spend money in transportation because everything already exists.

The same thing for hotels, hospitals and so on.

So, what the hell are you trying to say?
Aka no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #6722
Aka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sochi NEW Dubai View Post
The candidacy of Spain and Portugal isn't much known in Spain, that is to say, that many people don't know that it exists. Also it isn't very worn out.
What?
Aka no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #6723
Sochi NEW Dubai

Likes (Received): 3

That the people in Spain don't know it and that it isn't very worked
Sochi NEW Dubai no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #6724
Aka

Quote:
That the people in Spain don't know it and that it isn't very worked
What the...

Are you in Spain?
Aka no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #6725
RobH

Likes (Received): 10322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
And your point is...?

All the major stadiums are private (except for La Cartuja). Most of them were already built.

There's no need to spend money in transportation because everything already exists.

The same thing for hotels, hospitals and so on.

So, what the hell are you trying to say?
This is the point. It just so happens that the three nations worst affected by the recession who are bidding - the USA, England, and Spain - are also the nations with the least amount of work to do on their stadiums and infrastructure. The debt problems which exist in these countries shouldn't affect their bids really.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #6726
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Would most people agree that with the noises coming from Fifa and Uefa Russia is the favourite to win at the moment?
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #6727
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

You mean England.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #6728
AILD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Quote:
Debt levels in Spain and Portugal may “snowball” in coming years and additional budget cuts are needed to meet deficit targets announced just a month ago, according to a draft European Commission document.

“While the newly announced measures are significant and the targets imply impressive budgetary consolidation, more measures are needed to meet those targets, in particular for 2011,” according to the draft report, which is dated May 26. The document, titled “Consolidation Requirement in Spain and Portugal,” was prepared by the European Commission, the EU’s executive arm, for the region’s finance ministers.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update3-.html

Also it is not "natural" crisis. It is an attack on Eurozone.

Quote:
There has been considerable controversy about the role of the English-language press in the regard to the bond market crisis. Spanish Prime Minister José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero ordered the Centro Nacional de Inteligencia intelligence service to investigate the role of the "Anglo-Saxon media" in fomenting the crisis. No results have so far been reported as a result of this investigation.

According to the Madrid daily El País, "the National Intelligence Center (CNI) was investigating 'whether investors' attacks and the aggressiveness of some Anglo-Saxon [sic] media are driven by market forces and challenges facing the Spanish economy, or whether there is something more behind this campaign.'" The Spanish Prime Minister has suggested that the recent financial market crisis in Europe is an attempt to draw international capital away from the euro in order that countries, such as the U.K. and the U.S., can continue to fund their large external deficits which are matched by large government deficits.
Financial speculators and hedge funds engaged in selling euros have also been accused by both the Spanish and Greek Prime Ministers of worsening the crisis. Angela Merkel has stated that "institutions bailed out with public funds are exploiting the budget crisis in Greece and elsewhere."
The role of Goldman Sachs in Greek bond yield increases is also under scrutiny.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Eu...isis#July_2010

So my point is that this was only first attempt of attack on Euro. So will be another further. It's long time until 2018 and the possibility of Sovereign default is high with such attacks.

Of course it doesn't mean that Spain and Portugal will not have enough money to host WC. But riots like in Greece can be a big problem.
AILD no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #6729
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
You mean England.
No even Michel Platini isn't too fond of England, what excuse did he use? oh that England doesn't have a leader in place after Triesman was axed. I wouldn't be too surprised if Russia won tbh.
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #6730
Aka

Quote:
Of course it doesn't mean that Spain and Portugal will not have enough money to host WC. But riots like in Greece can be a big problem.
First of all, try to know more about other countries before talking about them. The situation in Spain and Portugal is no way close to the one in Greece.

And even if it was, neither the Portuguese or the Spanish would act like the Greeks did. Different ways of thinking.

We've faced far worse situations than this.

I was disliking the way others were bashing Russia in this thread. But after this...

And you won't buy me with oil.
Aka no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #6731
CiudadanoDelMundo
Ahí vamos pa´lante

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
I don't know . But I want that I gain the candidacy of Russia because I believe that they her have worked very much and that it is excellent. The candidacy of Spain and Portugal isn't much known in Spain, that is to say, that many people don't know that it exists. Also it isn't very worked.

Sorry, but you have no idea of what you are talking about. Everyone in Spain & Portugal knows about the candidacy, do you really think that the citizens in two "football lover" countries like Spain & Portugal are not aware that they're bidding to organize a WC?...
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #6732
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
No even Michel Platini isn't too fond of England, what excuse did he use? oh that England doesn't have a leader in place after Triesman was axed. I wouldn't be too surprised if Russia won tbh.
There are 24 votes, and IMO at this stage it remains England's to lose.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #6733
AILD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Relax, I will be happy if WC will be in Spain and Portugal. This is my favourite bid with Russia.
AILD no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #6734
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 965

The FIFA inspection through Holland & Belgium a few weeks ago:

Old September 4th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #6735
Aka

Quote:
Relax, I will be happy if WC will be in Spain and Portugal. This is my favourite bid with Russia.
And I like every bid. Whoever wins will be a good choice.

Even the bids from Qatar, Japan and Korea are great. I only have doubts about the size of the country of Qatar and the fact that Japan and Korea had one in 2002.

But it annoys me when I see people here talking trash and stuff about other countries' bids:

- "Spain doesn't need Portugal"
- "Spain and Portugal are in crisis"
- "Americans don't like football"
- "Australians don't like football"
- "Russia doesn't have infrastrucutures"
- "Russians are racists, communists and don't allow other countries' flags"
- "English media is this and that"

Jeez!!! Most of it doesn't even matter!!! Isn't it just great that everyone's going to get cool stadiums?

EDIT: I didn't talk about Belgium and the Netherlands because there weren't many people complaining about them.
Aka no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #6736
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Portugal has very few stadiums, it's a 80% Spain world cup. That's not fair because it's not like the Spain fans will cheer for Portugal.
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:46 AM   #6737
Aka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
Portugal has very few stadiums, it's a 80% Spain world cup. That's not fair because it's not like the Spain fans will cheer for Portugal.
It was Portugal who choose to have three stadiums. The only ones with a capacity bigger than 40k, without spending money.

And who cares if they cheer for Portugal or not? Portugal would play all its matches at home.
Aka no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #6738
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
Quote:
It was Portugal who choose to have three stadiums. The only ones with a capacity bigger than 40k, without spending money.

And who cares if they cheer for Portugal or not? Portugal would play all its matches at home.
As I may have stated before, Portugal should have really proposed to build a new 80,000 seater stadium in Lisbon, or upgraded the national one to such, whilst also using one of their existing ones. The 80,000 seater would host the opening match (whether Portugal or Spain is in the draw for the first game remains to be seen, probably just end up doing like 2002 where group A has no host sides. Each respective host side would play at home stadiums with the group). Madrid would host the final, and that 80,000 seat Lisbon stadium would host the 3rd place match.

Then you add 3 other stadiums from 3 other Portuguese cities.

Then it would be a 7 Spain stadium (in 7 cities) and 5 Portugal stadium setup (in 4 stadiums).

But that didn't happen. Perhaps next time, if there is one.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #6739
Aka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
As I may have stated before, Portugal should have really proposed to build a new 80,000 seater stadium in Lisbon, or upgraded the national one to such, whilst also using one of their existing ones. The 80,000 seater would host the opening match (whether Portugal or Spain is in the draw for the first game remains to be seen, probably just end up doing like 2002 where group A has no host sides. Each respective host side would play at home stadiums with the group). Madrid would host the final, and that 80,000 seat Lisbon stadium would host the 3rd place match.

Then you add 3 other stadiums from 3 other Portuguese cities.

Then it would be a 7 Spain stadium (in 7 cities) and 5 Portugal stadium setup (in 4 stadiums).

But that didn't happen. Perhaps next time, if there is one.
I repeat: "without spending money"

That answers your "question".

And building a new stadium would be stupid and a disaster. Completely useless.

The opening match is featured to have the title holder, like it used to be - if they qualify -, with the second match of the first day being Portugal's one.

You don't see any third place match being played at any of the top 2/3 stadiums, do you? Semi-finals are much more important than that. That game would go to Dragão.
Aka no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #6740
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
There are 24 votes, and IMO at this stage it remains England's to lose.
Considering when the bid process started England were more or less odds on favourites and now they are neck and neck with Russia and the fact that its too close to call suggests to me the momentum is with Russia. When comparing the two bids currently England should win considering majority of the stadia and infrastructure is in place (of course more work is needed) when compared to Russia which have yet to build majority of their venues and upgrade alot of their infrastructure. Even after all that Russia is still up there with Fifa shows that they are now strong contenders and may even be ahead, it is upto England to step up their efforts to persuade Fifa. i don't think it is theirs to lose but it theirs to win.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup