daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 8th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #6781
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
I want the US to get the 2018 WC. 2022 is just too long off the road.
Platini has said he's 90% certain the USA will pull out of 2018
If its any consolation the USA will definitely get 2026 basically unopposed
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #6782
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
All I am saying it made more headlines! I'd rather just give England the 2018 world cup so they won't nag for it latter. Let them complete the sporting event hosting cylce so we won't see them after 2018 for 50 years.
I'll take that thanks
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #6783
Kenni
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
More like 2026 they will get it.
I dunno, don't be so sure.
Kenni no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #6784
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Trelawny also said Switzerland will do England like they did Spain ...

his not one for getting predictions right
Ecological no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:37 AM   #6785
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Platini has said he's 90% certain the USA will pull out of 2018
If its any consolation the USA will definitely get 2026 basically unopposed
I'm betting we'll pull out of 2018 to lock up 2022, not 2026. England 2018, USA 2022. Lock.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #6786
LarisaCh
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Russia defends 2018 World Cup bid in face of racism and corruption claims

• Sports minister claims racism and corruption exist in UK game
• Lokomotiv banner no worse than Newcastle in 2007, he adds

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...vladimir-putin

Russia's sports minister, Vitaly Mutko, today defended the country's 2018 World Cup bid against allegations of corruption and of racism among fans.

With less than three months until Fifa's executive committee holds a secret ballot in Zurich to decide the venue for the 2018 tournament, the bidding nations are campaigning in earnest. While Mutko refused to say whether he believed Russia and England were the favourites to host the 2018 World Cup, assessing his bid's chances simply as "good", he claimed he had great respect for England's.

But the minister – speaking at Moscow's Luzhniki stadium, which would host the final if the event went to Russia — also expressed his exasperation with the recent negative coverage of his country's bid. He pointedly declared that it was wrong for countries to "gloat" at each other's difficulties.

Mutko repeatedly expressed his warm feelings towards the English game but said that these sentiments were not always reciprocated. "We respect English football. We respect the English more than they respect us," he said. "I can't find a reason for such dislike [in the British press] for Russia's bid."

The Kremlin is extremely sensitive to western criticism, especially from Britain, with Mutko claiming that corruption and racism among fans exist in numerous countries, including the UK. "Sometimes in the non-Russian press we read that there is also corruption in England. People sometimes cross the road in the wrong place."

His remarks come after Lokomotiv Moscow fans celebrated Peter Odemwingie's recent sale to West Bromwich with a banner showing a banana and the message: "Thanks West Brom". Mutko, though, claimed that he had come across unpleasant sentiments when he attended a Newcastle United match three years ago.

He also revealed that, when the Fifa vote takes place, Russia's powerful prime minister, Vladimir Putin, is planning to travel to Zurich for it and to lobby Fifa's executive committee personally. In 2007 Putin flew to Guatemala and persuaded the International Olympic Committee to award the 2014 Winter Olympics to Russia and the Black Sea resort of Sochi.

Mutko said that Putin had been intimately involved in drafting Russia's bid and raises the subject weekly. Last month he hosted members of Fifa's six-man inspection team at his private dacha outside Moscow and spent 90 minutes telling them that Russia would fulfil all its Fifa obligations.

Putin also gave a "personal guarantee" that all building would be completed on time. Should Russia win, it plans to waive visas for fans, as it did for the 2008 Champions League final between Chelsea and Manchester United.
LarisaCh no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #6787
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Regardless of whether you believe this to be a British conspiracy and a figmant of our Press' imagination, English football isn't facing a letter of complaint from the Nigerian FA to FIFA about the treatment of their players. I'd worry more about that than about what our tabloids think if I were you.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #6788
JimB

Likes (Received): 4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarisaCh View Post
Mutko repeatedly expressed his warm feelings towards the English game but said that these sentiments were not always reciprocated. "We respect English football. We respect the English more than they respect us," he said. "I can't find a reason for such dislike [in the British press] for Russia's bid."
This is a common misconception for people who don't know or don't understand the UK.

The British media is negative about everything! If they ever praise anything or anyone (be it politicians, royal family, actors, singers, businessmen etc), it is only so that they can then bring it / them crashing back down to earth. They like nothing better than a bit of juicy investigative journalism or a "kiss and tell" sting that embarrasses individuals and institutions (Wayne Rooney, Lord Triesman, the FA).

So while there may occasionally be stories in the British media that criticize Russia's bid, there are probably ten times as many such stories that criticize England's own bid.

So Russians shouldn't feel as though they're being persecuted or singled out. They aren't. It's just the UK media being..............well, being the UK media!
JimB no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #6789
LarisaCh
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
So while there may occasionally be stories in the British media that criticize Russia's bid, there are probably ten times as many such stories that criticize England's own bid.
Can you give me links on these articles?
LarisaCh no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #6790
RobH

Do a search for triesmann or handbag or platini or warner or England 2018 trouble. Google is your friend. Suffice to say, they've all been discussed at one point or another over the past two years.

Last edited by RobH; September 8th, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #6791
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

The Written British Press is the worst in the world, they will do anything for a story. Lets not forget they even set up Triesman (head of the Enlgand 2018 bid) with undercover filming and got him sacked!! The British press couldn't give a toss about morals or ethics or the British people for that matter. All they want to do is sell papers. Trust me when the Olympics come round in 2012 they will leave no stone unturned to try and find as much negativity and criticism as possible.

They make me sick!
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #6792
RobH

But I'd rather have them with all their faults than not have them at all. And as you well know, we have some of the best journalism in the world as well in this country. The Panorama investigation into IOC ethics on the one hand, the Triessman debacle on the other...two bids, two faces of our media. What can you do eh?
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #6793
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Well, don't do anything decidedly illegal or immoral and chances are you won't end up on the wrong side of that equation, no?

But I agree, for as much as the 4th estate caters to the lowest common denominators among us, they also provide a functional layer of public oversight and vigilance against real abuses of power. Better to have that available than not at all.
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #6794
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

That article just makes that russian guy sound incredibly insecure. I mean seriously "Britain have it in for us" and "Oh I heard something similar when I was in Newcastle in 2007."

Talk about trying to cover your own arse.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #6795
AILD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
That article just makes that russian guy sound incredibly insecure. I mean seriously "Britain have it in for us" and "Oh I heard something similar when I was in Newcastle in 2007."

Talk about trying to cover your own arse.
Such brits also make me sick
AILD no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #6796
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

Constructive.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #6797
rus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

British comrades, your media only hurt you. Thanks to her about you is very bad thinking in Russia. Russian people are using all their wealth abusive vocabulary commenting on the British articles about bananas.
rus no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #6798
RobH

I don't think we're going to agree on this, but as I said on the previous page, our media are not the reason the Nigerian FA are complaining to FIFA about Russia. And considering Nigeria has a vote on the FIFA exective committee (one of only 24), that's a problem - one your bid and the Nigerian FIFA exec member have to sort out between them. As it is, it's very likely that vote is not going your way.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #6799
rus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Do not you understand that the Nigerian member of FIFA usual corrupt. He obviously made it clear to the British, he wants to sell his vote.
rus no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #6800
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
Trelawny also said Switzerland will do England like they did Spain ...

his not one for getting predictions right
1 mistake won't hurt my record. You on the other hand is the joke of the skybar with your horrible predictions.
Trelawny no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup