daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #6801
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,764
Likes (Received): 10311

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus View Post
Do not you understand that the Nigerian member of FIFA usual corrupt. He obviously made it clear to the British, he wants to sell his vote.
No, let's try this again shall we? This has nothing to do with the British....it's laughable that you will come up with the most stupid excuses to relieve your FA of their own responsibility, which in this case is dealing with Nigeria's complaint.

As I said, this is an issue between Russia and Nigeria; the fact that our papers are reporting it, some with more enthusiasm than is appropriate is neither here nor there.

Just accept that and we can move on from this issue.
RobH está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #6802
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarisaCh View Post
[SIZE="3"]
• Sports minister claims racism and corruption exist in UK game
.
Isn't that just so typical. We haven't seen his method 'round here have we.

Amazing how the ways in which top public officials to friendly forumers tend to deflect criticism by blindly going on the attack at someone else.
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #6803
rus
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 202
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
No, let's try this again shall we? This has nothing to do with the British....it's laughable that you will come up with the most stupid excuses to relieve your FA of their own responsibility, which in this case is dealing with Nigeria's complaint.

As I said, this is an issue between Russia and Nigeria; the fact that our papers are reporting it, some with more enthusiasm than is appropriate is neither here nor there.

Just accept that and we can move on from this issue.
Because of a banana, we must say that the 150 million Russian people are racists. This is ridiculous. To be honest, we does not believe a problem, just a little misunderstanding. And these two Nigerians, we believe only a pathetic and greedy people.
rus no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #6804
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,764
Likes (Received): 10311

Quote:
Because of a banana, we must say that the 150 million Russian people are racists.
No, I didn't say that, and nor would I ever say that. The fact that you've resorted to putting words into my mouth shows how shoddy your argument is.

I've tried to be reasonable on this issue, because there clearly is one since you're FA is facing a complaint to FIFA. But so far to excuse a racist minority and the inaction of your FA you've accused the British media of inventing the story, the Nigerian FIFA exec of selling his vote, the English 2018 bid of propaganda, the victim of the racist abuse of being greedy for putting up with it and getting the pay he is due from his club, and claimed that because racism occurs in other countries it doesn't matter that it happens in your own....need I go on? Every time a new angle is brought to this story from a new party, you accuse them of corruption or greed whilst painting Russia as whiter than white (no pun intended).

I know this is not a topic we should be discussing anymore in this thread, but it's hard not to reply to such idiocy.

Last edited by RobH; September 9th, 2010 at 12:16 AM.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #6805
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

A reminder that racism is off-topic. Proceed with caution.

Some of you have good intentions but unfortunately previous debates have not allowed for these discussions to continue.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #6806
coth
pride leader
 
coth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow
Posts: 21,630
Likes (Received): 6818

Not going into discussion, but just as an explanation.

There is no racism in Russia, like British media wants to portrait it. At least black/white racism. Simply because there are no black people in Russia. UK might have a lot of African immigrants, but Russia have 0 of them. There are very few legal black people, mainly students. I can see them once in a month or two in Moscow and almost nowhere outside it. So black people are like a marvel. So rare, so attracts attention. Russians in general don't care about black people on streets as those rare individuals are mainly well integrated into local society.
There are over half a million of oriental people in Moscow - Chinese, Vietnamese etc. I have very very large Chinese community in my district since early 2000s. They live perfectly fine. Nobody cares of them, nobody touch them and they touch nobody.

There is a definitely a problem of local type - between Russian, Tatars, Caucasians, Finns, Balts. But this is local affairs that is being dealt by the government and diasporas.

But there is no racism like British media portraying, not anyhow worse than in UK or Spain.
__________________
coth no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #6807
Trelawny
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tdot & The Caribbean Region
Posts: 2,580
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
Not going into discussion, but just as an explanation.

There is no racism in Russia, like British media wants to portrait it. At least black/white racism. Simply because there are no black people in Russia. UK might have a lot of African immigrants, but Russia have 0 of them. There are very few legal black people, mainly students. I can see them once in a month or two in Moscow and almost nowhere outside it. So black people are like a marvel. So rare, so attracts attention. Russians in general don't care about black people on streets as those rare individuals are mainly well integrated into local society.
There are over half a million of oriental people in Moscow - Chinese, Vietnamese etc. I have very very large Chinese community in my district since early 2000s. They live perfectly fine. Nobody cares of them, nobody touch them and they touch nobody.

There is a definitely a problem of local type - between Russian, Tatars, Caucasians, Finns, Balts. But this is local affairs that is being dealt by the government and diasporas.

But there is no racism like British media portraying, not anyhow worse than in UK or Spain.



Lol Coth the African Forum is very anti Russia. What do you think of this thread?? Lol at post 6 by Bashuple saying British Caribbeans made fun of him in London, I should kick his azz.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...tudents+russia

Last edited by Trelawny; September 9th, 2010 at 02:32 AM.
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #6808
coth
pride leader
 
coth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow
Posts: 21,630
Likes (Received): 6818

I'm not going into discussion, so read the answer right above your post. And don't pretend to know better what's going on not in your home.
__________________

Last edited by coth; September 9th, 2010 at 02:44 AM.
coth no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #6809
Trelawny
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tdot & The Caribbean Region
Posts: 2,580
Likes (Received): 1

I think your the one not knowing whats going on in your own home. shame. Espeically with at least 100 racist homicides each year!
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #6810
Fern
...
 
Fern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lisbon
Posts: 17,070
Likes (Received): 1923

So much dirty play in this thread...

IMO England's bid is quite strong, but they're already organising the 2012 Olympics (I'm sure they'll do a great job) so lets hope that FIFA will give someone else a chance. Since both the Iberian countries have organised very successful sporting events in the past and offer good infrastructure, I think that our bid will be second favourite.
__________________
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Fern no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #6811
coth
pride leader
 
coth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow
Posts: 21,630
Likes (Received): 6818

At again post #6798 have all correct answer.
Speaking of numbers - 100 racist homicides very year is a pure lie. Make a thread somewhere in skybar. I'll explain why is it lie.
__________________

Last edited by coth; September 9th, 2010 at 03:02 AM.
coth no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #6812
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
So much dirty play in this thread...

IMO England's bid is quite strong, but they're already organising the 2012 Olympics (I'm sure they'll do a great job) so lets hope that FIFA will give someone else a chance. Since both the Iberian countries have organised very successful sporting events in the past and offer good infrastructure, I think that our bid will be second favourite.
I'd be upset with hosting the 2012 Olympics is held against England. IMO, the Olympics and World Cup are completely different events and while one can be used as an example of being capable of hosting a massive event for the other, I don't think that it should be a negative for the bid. The best bid is the best bid, IMO, regardless of where the Olympics are.

I do like the Iberian bid though and would be very excited to attend the World Cup if they got to host.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:00 AM   #6813
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,764
Likes (Received): 10311

Thank you (!) for your reasoned post coth. I've never been to Russia so can't argue with you about Russian society in general, and indeed, I didn't realise there were quite so few black people in places like Moscow. But from what I've read and seen as well as anecdotal evidence, it seems in Russian football behaviour in some stadiums, amongst pockets of fans is 20 or 30 years behind places like England, and that could well be because such fans aren't used to seeing black people around, I don't know. I do know there are accusations from black players about their treatment in Russia, and I do know that a Russian manager has said he will not buy black players because of some of the fans' reactions. And there is a complaint from the Nigerian FA about treatment of their players in Russia. Furthermore, I'm not buying into the story about the banner referring to an old Russian saying rather than it being motivated by race. So, as far as I'm concerned, there is an issue in some football stadiums and amongst some fans...I hope Russia seeks to address this during its bid and instigates anti-racism campaigns the like of which we've had in my country for two decades. That'll be a step forward and a boost to your world cup bid.

Yes, racism exists in England (though you'll never these days see anything as blatant as a banana), but on the whole it's dealt with when it happens in football. The most shocking thing about this incident is not that it's happened but how some Russian SSC members and worse, your FA, have tried to make excuses for it.

I hope you can see where I'm coming from now anyway, and thanks again for your response coth.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #6814
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Regarding the whole racism issue, working under the assumption that Russia does indeed have racism issues (I don't know if this is true or not, but I'm going to use this assumption to make this point), it brings me back to an interesting debate from Italy's Euro bid. With that bid, there was talk about rampant corruption, hooliganism and may not be safe to host Euro so people said that they shouldn't get it. I also thought of it possibly being another way, with Euro being a mechanism to help with the problems Italy was having.

Now, applying this to Russia, is it possible that a World Cup in Russia could help rectify some of the racism problems? Opening up the country some, exposing the country to different things and allowing them to host a month of non-race related sport could be used as a major step to helping out the entire country.

Again, I don't know if Russia is indeed a racist country. Based on what I've read, it's believable, but having never been there I don't know for sure. I just think that as was the case with Italy, major events like this have the ability to help with societal problems instead of avoiding them. I could make an easy argument for avoiding giving them the World Cup for racist concerns and I wouldn't have an issue with that reasoning, but I think it's important to at least discuss the other side of it.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #6815
Fern
...
 
Fern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lisbon
Posts: 17,070
Likes (Received): 1923

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I'd be upset with hosting the 2012 Olympics is held against England. IMO, the Olympics and World Cup are completely different events and while one can be used as an example of being capable of hosting a massive event for the other, I don't think that it should be a negative for the bid. The best bid is the best bid, IMO, regardless of where the Olympics are.

I do like the Iberian bid though and would be very excited to attend the World Cup if they got to host.
In a way I agree with what you say, but don't forget that countries have been chosen on similar grounds in the past.
It's a shame that my country will only be providing three stadiums but seeing as we're more than 4 times smaller than Spain I guess that it makes more sense that way...
__________________
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Fern no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #6816
MrNice
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 17
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus View Post
Because of a banana, we must say that the 150 million Russian people are racists. This is ridiculous. To be honest, we does not believe a problem, just a little misunderstanding. And these two Nigerians, we believe only a pathetic and greedy people.
i think the whole world is aware of how racist some elements of russian society are.The horrific neo nazi attacks on foreign students etc have been well publicised in all foreign media.It will take time for Russia to adapt to the modern world and to becme more tolerant and less xenophobic towards non-russians.

P.S I was in san francisco in july and had a russian taxi driver who had the same blockhead mentality and who kewpt saying how bad the uk was to russia!!! What absolute nonsense..to me it stems from bigotry and lack of knowledge.Nobody in the Uk would treat russians badly and to be honest you arent even on our minds.. most people are too preoocupied with just getting through life and putting food on the table.
MrNice no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:17 AM   #6817
Fern
...
 
Fern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lisbon
Posts: 17,070
Likes (Received): 1923

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Regarding the whole racism issue, working under the assumption that Russia does indeed have racism issues (I don't know if this is true or not, but I'm going to use this assumption to make this point), it brings me back to an interesting debate from Italy's Euro bid. With that bid, there was talk about rampant corruption, hooliganism and may not be safe to host Euro so people said that they shouldn't get it. I also thought of it possibly being another way, with Euro being a mechanism to help with the problems Italy was having.

Now, applying this to Russia, is it possible that a World Cup in Russia could help rectify some of the racism problems? Opening up the country some, exposing the country to different things and allowing them to host a month of non-race related sport could be used as a major step to helping out the entire country.

Again, I don't know if Russia is indeed a racist country. Based on what I've read, it's believable, but having never been there I don't know for sure. I just think that as was the case with Italy, major events like this have the ability to help with societal problems instead of avoiding them. I could make an easy argument for avoiding giving them the World Cup for racist concerns and I wouldn't have an issue with that reasoning, but I think it's important to at least discuss the other side of it.
Is it FIFA's job to do that though? Shouldn't it be the local authorities the ones to ensure that such things don't happen regardless of whether they're hosting a big event or not? FIFA has to, primarily, ensure that the tournament is characterised by safety and fairness for everyone..
__________________
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Fern no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #6818
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 8,126
Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
A reminder that racism is off-topic. Proceed with caution.

Some of you have good intentions but unfortunately previous debates have not allowed for these discussions to continue.
"I'll take 'Unheeded Warnings' for $400, Alex."
__________________
"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."
GunnerJacket no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #6819
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

This thread will be closed temporarily until further notice.

Please consult forum guidelines with regards to discussions around racism and politics, both of which are off-topic due to the nature of previous debates.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #6820
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Welcome back. South Africa for 2018.
Mo Rush no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu