daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 26th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #6921
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Actually, yes. You really don't know how FIFA works, do you...

As for low attendances in MLS, of course attendances are low. It's the fifth/sixth most popular spectator sport in the country. But Australia is worse.

As for transport, Australia currently has the exact same problem as the US in terms of rail transport to a couple suburban stadiums. Both countries should be able to fix this by 2022, however.
Right keep thinking that buddy US have a population of 300 million, Australia has a population of 21 million and they pull around the same average crowd, I think that says more than enough for the US right then and there. Perhaps the following two videos explain those crowd figures.

BTW I haven't heard FIFA claim anything bad about Australia's bid in terms of the technical report, infact what Mr Nicholls said was Australia is ready in every aspect that includes transportation, legacy and everything else. Australia pulled off the 2000 Olympics with no problems what so ever, its still to this day considered the best olympics thus far, the same cannot be said for when Atlanta hosted the olympics, the athletes were peeing their pants as to whether they would even make their event.

MysteryMike no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #6922
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Right keep thinking that buddy US have a population of 300 million, Australia has a population of 21 million and they pull around the same average crowd, I think that says more than enough for the US right then and there. Perhaps the following two videos explain those crowd figures.

BTW I haven't heard FIFA claim anything bad about Australia's bid in terms of the technical report, infact what Mr Nicholls said was Australia is ready in every aspect that includes transportation, legacy and everything else. Australia pulled off the 2000 Olympics with no problems what so ever, its still to this day considered the best olympics thus far, the same cannot be said for when Atlanta hosted the olympics, the athletes were peeing their pants as to whether they would even make their event.
I probably should not have mentioned domestic league attendances before, because these have absolutely no bearing on predicting attendances at a tournament with the stature of the World Cup. I merely made a statement about the federation and league instability, and used league attendances as an exhibit of this fact.

I'm doing my best to be reasonable here, but you seem hell-bent on trolling. And that's fine, you're an Aussie and you're sticking up for your bid. But if you are chalking up Australia's entire bid to a few off-hand press conference quotes from the inspection committee, you may be in for a major disappointment. If you've followed World Cup selection processes in the past, you would know that most voters just don't read that report.

While I agree that it should be a scientific process, the unfortunate truth is that most of it is hand-shaking and back-room deals. That's just the way FIFA works, and always will. Most voters have likely made their minds up already, and those that haven't will make their decision based not on some report, but on a "what can you do for me" basis.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #6923
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

I think you're arguing cross purposes here guys. MysteryMike is arguing why Australia should be chosen, whilst you're arguing why the USA likely will be chosen. I don't think what either of you are saying is wrong actually.

I don't think there's much wrong with pointing out that Australia punches way above its weight in terms of most sports, football included, nor that Sydney 2000 proves Australia has the organisational ability to match anyone.

Nor is there much wrong in pointing out the fact that a US world cup will surpass any other in terms of ticket sales, and has greater potential for growth compared with Australia.

Domestic attendences mightn't mean a lot to FIFA (I'm not sure that's entirely true), but from a supporter's point of view they do matter and Australia does pretty damn well for a nation where football is nowhere near top dog considering the size of its population. It's no lie to say it outdoes the US in this regard given the relative population sizes.

And then of course you have 1994 in the equation as well. Slipperydog could easily argue that won't make a difference to FIFA, and he may well be right! MysteryMike and others could easily argue it should make a difference to FIFA's thinking (I'd almost certainly be supporting the US for 2022 over Australia had the US not hosted in '94, for example).

As I said, you're not having the same debate with each other!! Slipperdog is trying to predict, MysteryMike is trying to support; and so we go around in circles!!
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #6924
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Its interesting how many think CONMEBOL would vote as a bloc (and specifically to USA) when El Salvador & Venezuela have both mentioned their complete support for Qatar 2022 World Cup, not to mention Brazil which does have a voting member in the FIFA Executive Committee.
In addition, Paraguay is also another very likely nation to support Qatar 2022 World Cup.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #6925
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Its interesting how many think CONMEBOL would vote as a bloc (and specifically to USA) when El Salvador & Venezuela have both mentioned their complete support for Qatar 2022 World Cup, not to mention Brazil which does have a voting member in the FIFA Executive Committee.
In addition, Paraguay is also another very likely nation to support Qatar 2022 World Cup.
this article is indicating they believe they will vote as a bloc, and the Paraguay vote is in play

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33750

that being said, as I've said before I reckon any promise for a vote at this stage is worth as the paper its written on
T74 no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #6926
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
9 votes confirmed for Qatar!hahalol hahah with this Qatar win wc!11!!1!!

Seriously what a joke, anyone thats promised a vote anywhere is probably a liar, or are a tiny bit corrupt or have been corrupted. Come voting time we'll see who really supports Doha's bid for the world cup.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #6927
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
9 votes confirmed for Qatar!hahalol hahah with this Qatar win wc!11!!1!!

Seriously what a joke, anyone thats promised a vote anywhere is probably a liar, or are a tiny bit corrupt or have been corrupted. Come voting time we'll see who really supports Doha's bid for the world cup.
You keep saying 9 votes, fine, whatever.

Mike keeps saying "should withdraw ASAP, OMG so embarrassing", fine, whatever.

I have reached up to 15 highly likely votes, with other reports i got of 18 votes.
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #6928
Will737

Quote:

I have reached up to 15 highly likely votes, with other reports i got of 18 votes.
I believe I've posted this before in relation to the Qatar bid:

Will737 no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #6929
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

Qatar son, your confidence is great, but last time I heard such a confident prediction from the supporter of an underdog bid, they were proved horribly wrong:

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topi...ost__p__137612

(remember this Mo?)
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #6930
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
I believe I've posted this before in relation to the Qatar bid:

Sure, let me live in my delusions.

Old September 26th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #6931
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:

If FIFA votes to send the WC to qatar, then they have lost all credibility imho.
mattec no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #6932
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
If FIFA votes to send the WC to qatar, then they have lost all credibility imho.
As if they have any left
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #6933
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

GIVE THE MIDDLE EAST A CHANCE
GulfArabia no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #6934
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
Give Micronesia a chance!
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #6935
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Give Bristol City a chance, give Timbuktu a chance. Qatar is not the right nation to host a football world cup in the middle east or anywhere. It would be an absolute farce and a disgrace to international football, Qatar hasn't even made a football world cup, their football development is non existent, the team is virtually bought and fails the technical requirements for the hosting of the world cup. The place has no culture, no tourist destinations, virtually nothing. I've lived there, you go outside Doha (which is really small anyway) and you hit desert with the only thing you see being camels crossing the road. That's fantastic, not! The country struggles to fill a 12k stadium and even then everything is thrown into chaos on match day. Qatar's bid is a bid based on the "land of the fairies", it's based on non existent graphic designed stadium photos and videos backed by unproven technolgies, it's an utter farce. For me it should be Egypt that hosts the first arab world cup or as other people have suggested Morocco, both these nations have great footballing traditions, they've got the population, they've got their own teams and both are fantastic destinations to visit for tourists as well. Both nations would also benefit considerably from hosting the world cup. What benefits do Qatar get? This bid achieves no economic improvement for the nation. This bid is merely a show pony for the king and to show how Qatar has a bucket load of money so that's all that matters and they're better than everyone else in the middle east. The middle east should host a world cup but it's about being the right country, a country that deserves to host the world cup and qatar does not fit that bill and would be the most undeserving nation of all time. It would be an absolute and utter joke.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10411522604

Last edited by MysteryMike; September 26th, 2010 at 11:53 PM.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #6936
mattec

Quote:
I will when a credible bid is presented.
mattec no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #6937
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Rio has only 1 match venue for 2014. Surely using basic logic this means Qatar will be allocated 10!
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #6938
mattec

delete :/
mattec no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #6939
Will737

Why don't Fiji and the Solomon Islands launch a joint bid? Surely it would be a better choice than Qatar.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #6940
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Why don't Fiji and the Solomon Islands launch a joint bid? Surely it would be a better choice than Qatar.
Give Oceania a chance
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup