daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 28th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #6961
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
yes, but the ex-co delegates for Africa will not be objective, they will be wanting what is best for their own confed

I doubt they will want to reward Warner with a WC after he costs them a WC slot
That would depend on when the World Cup distribution allotment is decided. I am unfamiliar with exactly when this decision would be made, but if it is before the 2018/2022 announcement, then your theory might be correct that it could hurt CONCACAF. But like I said, losing a spot isn't the end of the world, it is normal procedure for these things to change from cup to cup.

That brings up an interesting point. If North America gets another slot, based on recent performance, this would be a possible distribution:

UEFA - 13
CONMEBOL - 5.5
CAF - 4
AFC - 4
CONCACAF - 4
OFC - .5

My reasoning is that right now it's too easy for NZ to qualify with a playoff against Asia. Now if they can beat Peru/Ecuador/Colombia/Venezuela, that to me would be enough to give them a spot at the finals.
slipperydog no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #6962
T74

Likes (Received): 1

If this were to happen, changes would be:

UEFA - 13 (unchanged)
CONMEBOL - 5.5 (up 1)
CAF - 4 (down 1)
AFC - 4 (down 0.5)
CONCACAF - 4 (up 0.5)
OFC - .5 (unchanged)

from a political point of view, this will piss off AFC and CAF, be it right or wrong. if Warner is seen to be pushing this, it is not a great way to get support for the African ex-co delegates, whom many say will be very influential in deciding who gets both the 18 and 22 hosting gigs.

on the issue of Oceania getting it too soft against Asian, I think you will find that this game gets rotated. I know Australia (when we played in Oceania) went up against Uraguay twice, and Iran one in the three previous qualification periods.
T74 no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #6963
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
If this were to happen, changes would be:

UEFA - 13 (unchanged)
CONMEBOL - 5.5 (up 1)
CAF - 4 (down 1)
AFC - 4 (down 0.5)
CONCACAF - 4 (up 0.5)
OFC - .5 (unchanged)

from a political point of view, this will piss off AFC and CAF, be it right or wrong. if Warner is seen to be pushing this, it is not a great way to get support for the African ex-co delegates, whom many say will be very influential in deciding who gets both the 18 and 22 hosting gigs.

on the issue of Oceania getting it too soft against Asian, I think you will find that this game gets rotated. I know Australia (when we played in Oceania) went up against Uraguay twice, and Iran one in the three previous qualification periods.
It certainly doesn't get rotated.
Many feel that Concacaf have too many spots as it is,there will be no change in allocation across the board.African nations provide far more quality players than both the AFC and Concacaf combined
CAF has 8 teams in the top 50,Concacaf 2,AFC 3,OFC 1
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #6964
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Many feel that Concacaf have too many spots as it is,there will be no change in allocation across the board.African nations provide far more quality players than both the AFC and Concacaf combined
I didn't mean a formal rotation - just that it is not always Oceania vs Asia for that shared spot

we didn't get to 2006 beating Iran
T74 no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #6965
slipperydog

Quote:
Providing quality players and playing well as a national team are two different things. I know you know that, don't play dumb. It's good to think for yourself and not just take FIFA rankings as gospel. The US ranked ahead of Ghana just days after they defeated the US? Norway over Ghana? Gabon over the Czech Republic? Yeah, okay.

In present form, not based on some ranking that uses far too long of a sample timeframe, my eyes tell me the group of US, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Honduras are currently better than Australia, Japan, Korea, and Iran. And based on most the results at the World Cup, I would have to say Africa is marginally better, if at all, than North America. At this point, CONCACAF is well-deserving of a fourth qualifying spot.
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #6966
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

double post
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #6967
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
My reasoning is that right now it's too easy for NZ to qualify with a playoff against Asia. Now if they can beat Peru/Ecuador/Colombia/Venezuela, that to me would be enough to give them a spot at the finals.
It may look that way at first but I assure you it is not so easy for NZ to qualify. The reality is there is next to no meaningful competition for New Zealand during their Oceania world cup qualification. They don't get the opportunity to get battle hardened by a competitive qualification series. Many overseas clubs don't release their best players for fixtures against Oceania opponents so the team is given even less time to gel together. So they finish first in Oceania which is more a series of training drills then meaningful games then they are expected to jump to the level of competitive teams who have gone through the grinder of an intense quaification series against many quality opponents. This is exactly why Australia eventually left Oceania. There is a reason why Australia struggled to qualify for decades. Australia's AFC qualification for 2010 was a cake walk compared to the Oceania vs AFC or CONMEBOL Playoff.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #6968
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
In present form, not based on some ranking that uses far too long of a sample timeframe, my eyes tell me the group of US, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Honduras are currently better than Australia, Japan, Korea, and Iran.
Honduras & Costa Rica? You're kidding right? If you're going on "current form" , Honduras was recently beaten by Canada & Costa Rica has had a draw & 2 losses in their last 3 matches. They lost to Jamaica in their last match.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #6969
slipperydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Honduras & Costa Rica? You're kidding right? If you're going on "current form" , Honduras was recently beaten by Canada & Costa Rica has had a draw & 2 losses in their last 3 matches. They lost to Jamaica in their last match.
Absolutely not kidding. Those must have been friendlies because I did not hear about any of those games. Frankly, friendlies can be very misleading because of limited squad availability and managers' decisions to bring in new players. As there are a great host of peripheral factors, I hesitate to use any friendly as a basis for determining the quality of a team. What I pay attention to most in my evaluation are results in meaningful competitions.

Again, this is just based on my own observations. And those observations tell me Africa is not yet ready to establish itself as a power confederation alongside UEFA and CONMEBOL, and is still about on par with Asia and North America. I have not seen anything to disprove the notion that those three confederations should have the same number of World Cup qualifiers.
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #6970
Wezza
©

What do you use to judge these teams by then if you don't use friendlies? Costa Rica didn't make the WC, so it's hard to know what their current form is without using friendlies. And Honduras picked up 1 point at the WC. Meanwhile, both Japan & South Korea made it out of their groups & both could have made the 1/4s with a bit more luck. Also, Australia picked up 4 points, the same as Ghana who advanced instead.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #6971
slipperydog

Quote:
What do you use to judge these teams by then if you don't use friendlies?
Usually World Cup qualifiers. For instance, a World Cup qualifier from last summer would have more merit to me than a friendly last week. So in the rare case where a team did not make the World Cup, it's not technically present form. Maybe a poor choice of words on my part.

And I don't get too hung up on World Cup point totals and wins and losses. I watch how teams actually play, not just who wins the game. Did the team actually play well, or were they just fortunate? It's too simplistic just to look at who advances or a team's point total and make that your entire barometer for confederational strength. Some teams get outplayed but get a lucky break and win the game. But it doesn't necessarily make them the better team. Football is a sport where one bad call or a mistake by the goalkeeper can totally change the result of a game.
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #6972
Wezza
©

Fair enough. I don't necessarily agree with you logic, but each to their own.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #6973
_X_

Quote:
I didn't mean a formal rotation - just that it is not always Oceania vs Asia for that shared spot

we didn't get to 2006 beating Iran

Sorry mate,its certainly not rotational and haven't got the time atm but will fill you in totally over the next day or so
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #6974
_X_

Quote:
Usually World Cup qualifiers. For instance, a World Cup qualifier from last summer would have more merit to me than a friendly last week. So in the rare case where a team did not make the World Cup, it's not technically present form. Maybe a poor choice of words on my part.

And I don't get too hung up on World Cup point totals and wins and losses. I watch how teams actually play, not just who wins the game. Did the team actually play well, or were they just fortunate? It's too simplistic just to look at who advances or a team's point total and make that your entire barometer for confederational strength. Some teams get outplayed but get a lucky break and win the game. But it doesn't necessarily make them the better team. Football is a sport where one bad call or a mistake by the goalkeeper can totally change the result of a game.
Amazing post.
There are 3 certainties in WCQ-every world cup.1-NZ will qual top of OFC.2 and 3-USA and Mexico will qualify 1st and second in Concacaf.We can't say this about any other confederation as they are all more competitive. 4 spots from 10 countries plus the Carribean is really pushing it.
The only way you'll get another spot is if UEFA gives you one-good luck with that
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #6975
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

My god there are some bullshit artists here.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #6976
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

England say they will withdraw from the race to host the 2022 World Cup and focus on a bid for 2018 if the United States formally end its 2018 interest.

David Dein, the international president of England's bid, told a media briefing in London he expected the US to pull out of the 2018 race soon.

"Consequently we will almost certainly withdraw from 2022," he added.

Fifa's executive committee will vote to decide the hosts of both the 2018 and 2022 events on 2 December in Zurich.

Representatives from the England 2018 bid and US Soccer were unavailable for further comment when contacted by BBC Sport.

Link

RobH no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #6977
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
England say they will withdraw from the race to host the 2022 World Cup and focus on a bid for 2018 if the United States formally end its 2018 interest.

David Dein, the international president of England's bid, told a media briefing in London he expected the US to pull out of the 2018 race soon.

"Consequently we will almost certainly withdraw from 2022," he added.

Fifa's executive committee will vote to decide the hosts of both the 2018 and 2022 events on 2 December in Zurich.

Representatives from the England 2018 bid and US Soccer were unavailable for further comment when contacted by BBC Sport.

Link

/\ So in other words, the UK is scared that the US 2018 vote might fracture the Euro votes and thereby let the US sneak in for 2018, leaving 2022 as a free-for-all??

I like that scenario!!
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #6978
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Possibly, but England (not the UK) wouldn't be alone in wanting to remove this possibility - there will also be pressure from the other three European bids. I think there must be a lot going on behind the scenes; the England bid team wouldn't be saying these things publically unless they knew something. With Platini and now Dein saying they think the US will withdraw from 2018, I'd be incredibly surprised if they didn't

And perhaps, just perhaps, the US may have gained a few European votes for 2022 into the bargain...who knows?

Last edited by RobH; September 28th, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #6979
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
the England bid team wouldn't be saying these things publically unless they knew something.
why not? they haven't said many wise things before either.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #6980
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Amazing post.
There are 3 certainties in WCQ-every world cup.1-NZ will qual top of OFC.2 and 3-USA and Mexico will qualify 1st and second in Concacaf.We can't say this about any other confederation as they are all more competitive. 4 spots from 10 countries plus the Carribean is really pushing it.
The only way you'll get another spot is if UEFA gives you one-good luck with that
Mexico lost more games in 2010 qualifying (5) than Australia, Korea, and Japan COMBINED (4). They even needed goal difference just to scrape into the final group stage. It's not the cake walk you make it out to be.

Quote:
Honduras brought a domestic B team to play us. Their European contingent that play for Tottenham, Celtic, Inter Milan, Wigan, Anderlecht, Parma, Bari etc weren't called in.

Last edited by JYDA; September 29th, 2010 at 12:13 AM.
JYDA no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup