daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 28th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #6981
RobH

Likes (Received): 10311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
why not? they haven't said many wise things before either.
For example?
RobH está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #6982
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
Mexico lost more games in 2010 qualifying (5) than Australia, Korea, and Japan COMBINED (4). They even needed goal difference just to scrape into the final group stage. It's not the cake walk you make it out to be.
Everybody knows how bad Mexico were in the initial stages of qualifying. They were really struggling in matches they shouldn't have been. I'm sorry, but there's no other teams that can hold a candle to either the US or Mexico when they're at their best in CONCACAF. Costa Rica can have it's moments but don't seem to be consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
Honduras brought a domestic B team to play us. Their European contingent that play for Tottenham, Celtic, Inter Milan, Wigan, Anderlecht, Parma, Bari etc weren't called in.
Fair enough. But they still lost 2 & only managed a draw against the Swiss at the WC.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #6983
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Fair enough. But they still lost 2 & only managed a draw against the Swiss at the WC.
Honduras got ravaged by injuries right before the world cup. They lost Carlo Costly (leading scorer in qualifying) and De Leon their midfield playmaker right before the world cup. Their two best players Palacios (Tottenham) and Suazo (Inter Milan) were also injured. Both needed injections just to get on the field and Suazo only made it out there for the last two although they were visibly struggling. Still, they outchanced the swiss in the last game and really should've won that one.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #6984
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Possibly, but England (not the UK) wouldn't be alone in wanting to remove this possibility - there will also be pressure from the other three European bids. I think there must be a lot going on behind the scenes; the England bid team wouldn't be saying these things publically unless they knew something. With Platini and now Dein saying they think the US will withdraw from 2018, I'd be incredibly surprised if they didn't

And perhaps, just perhaps, the US may have gained a few European votes for 2022 into the bargain...who knows?
Undoubtedly. I think the US knew they would never win in 2018, but they could hang around in the 2018 pool of candidates long enough to pick up a few votes, which I think they're doing right now.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #6985
hangman

Likes (Received): 5

Unless they're counting on backroom deals, I think they might have left it a bit late for that. I don't think they'd have won much favour by hanging around so long after it was obvious FIFA preferred a european host.
hangman no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #6986
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
Unless they're counting on backroom deals, I think they might have left it a bit late for that. I don't think they'd have won much favour by hanging around so long after it was obvious FIFA preferred a european host.
The scuttlebutt in South Africa was just the opposite: that the US could pull an upset for 2018. So why can't the US have its options open--after all, it was FIFA that set it up that way. The other continents are hemmed in by their own limitations...not the US' creation.
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #6987
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
I've never heard that FIFA prefers a European host. I know Europe prefers a European host. Big difference. Don't act like Europeans are the only ones that have a say in things. BTW, aren't backroom deals what makes FIFA go round? Why change now...
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #6988
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

2018 is going to Europe.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #6989
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

Imagine if FIFA will quickly change rules after UK is step down for 2022 and move Europe to 2022. Australia could be 2018 and China could be 2026. UK would be out of games.
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #6990
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
Imagine if FIFA will quickly change rules after UK is step down for 2022 and move Europe to 2022. Australia could be 2018 and China could be 2026. UK would be out of games.
Austraila pull out 2018 WC bid and force on 2022 WC bid.

England and Russia will be out anyway

2018 Belgium-Netherlands
2022 United State or maybe Qatar
crazyalex no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #6991
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
Not happening.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #6992
RobH

Good blog article on the 2022 competition from the BBC. Dismisses Japan, Korea and Qatar, and tends to favour Australia over the US. A good summary overall.

Link
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #6993
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Quite a good article. Nice to see the comments going our way too
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #6994
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

The United States will host either 2022 or 2026 there's no doubt about that.

So why not get it out the way faster and have it host 2022? The USA will be ready regardless. Hell the USA is ready to host the largest World Cup ever right NOW.

Then in 2026 it'll be pretty much all Asia, except that the bids will be better by then.

Japan and Korea will have had 22 years after the '02 WC so that's a plus for them. The J and K leagues will have developed more by then too.

Qatar will grow and probably be at 5 million by the time the next bidding contest occurs. Maybe all those "cities" will actually be developed and have their own identity outside of Doha. Not to mention that all of those cooling technologies would be tested and maybe actually be applied by the time voting comes around. Maybe by then it won't sound ridiculous to have 10 40k+ stadiums in such a small area.

Australia will have more rectangular stadiums by then and the AFL might become the third sport (or 2nd or w/e) in OZ. Maybe they can increase the avg stadium capacity by then.

China can enter the fray in 2026 and FIFA can tap into that 1 billion people market. You guys can argue that being in the same time zone is good enough but that doesn't have the same effect as actually hosting the WC there. You guys also argue that it's not a sure thing if they'll even bid. But why shut them out completely instead of giving them a chance at 2026? If they don't bid then another Asian country will host simple as that.

The USA is ready to host the WC right now. All of the Asian countries still have "challenges" to go through. In eight years (assuming they vote for 2026 in 2018) many things will change and FIFA can get a clearer picture of which Asian country is the best prepared to host a WC.

2022 as of now is between the USA and OZ. If I were any other Asian country I would vote for the USA and hedge my bets on 2026 and hopefully have developed the necessary infrastructure AND fan culture required to host a successful World Cup.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #6995
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
If I were any other Asian country I would vote for the USA and hedge my bets on 2026 and hopefully have developed the necessary infrastructure AND fan culture required to host a successful World Cup.
That would be dumb on their part because China would win 2026 hands down regardless of what infrastructure improvements that current bidders may have brought forward. If you're Qatar, Japan, Korea or Australia it would mean waiting until at least 2038.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #6996
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Good blog article on the 2022 competition from the BBC. Dismisses Japan, Korea and Qatar, and tends to favour Australia over the US. A good summary overall.

Link
Consistent with my independent World Cup Index. In consultation with Matthew Lowry.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #6997
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
I've never heard that FIFA prefers a European host. I know Europe prefers a European host. Big difference. Don't act like Europeans are the only ones that have a say in things. BTW, aren't backroom deals what makes FIFA go round? Why change now...
He means they'd prefer it to go to Europe after 2 world cups outside the continent, due to the rotation policy.
Pennypacker no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #6998
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
^
What's wrong with the post, tell me?

You've been claiming you've made deals with countries, and FIFA have said it's dis-allowed - I've posted that here, it's relevant. What's wrong with that post?
Oooooooooooooooooo

So just because FIFA has said that its not allowed (which is obvious from the beginning) that its the end of the world for the Qatar bid !!? seriously, this is such a childish game we are playing.

Hell must have broke loose when FIFA inspector also stated that Qatar currently has logistical problems (duh, the games are 12 years away...)

I will say what i want and I dont really care, really, you shouldnt be botherd anyways

WE HAVE DEALS WITH MANY COUNTRIES, AND THE LIST IS INCREASING WEATHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT

The issue is not just related to a couple of FIFA Executive committee members anymore, but rather governments, major companies and important world figures in sport and politics.

We could say that we might have grabbed the German vote as well

What proof does FIFA have of Qatar bribing the members ? nothing. If they have proof they could clearly be seen as "gifts" the rest is really details.

Answer me this, has Australia or USA done what they have to do to grab enough votes for this World Cup ? it seems from what i see that Qatar is the only one that "really" wants this.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #6999
SharksBoy
Good Luck South Africa!

Likes (Received): 12

I wonder when South Africa host FIFA World Cup again? possibly more than 2060?
SharksBoy no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #7000
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Oooooooooooooooooo

So just because FIFA has said that its not allowed (which is obvious from the beginning) that its the end of the world for the Qatar bid !!? seriously, this is such a childish game we are playing.

Hell must have broke loose when FIFA inspector also stated that Qatar currently has logistical problems (duh, the games are 12 years away...)

I will say what i want and I dont really care, really, you shouldnt be botherd anyways

WE HAVE DEALS WITH MANY COUNTRIES, AND THE LIST IS INCREASING WEATHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT

The issue is not just related to a couple of FIFA Executive committee members anymore, but rather governments, major companies and important world figures in sport and politics.

We could say that we might have grabbed the German vote as well

What proof does FIFA have of Qatar bribing the members ? nothing. If they have proof they could clearly be seen as "gifts" the rest is really details.

Answer me this, has Australia or USA done what they have to do to grab enough votes for this World Cup ? it seems from what i see that Qatar is the only one that "really" wants this.
Your the only one of the 'qatari's' (not all but the qataris that post in your bid thread) worth listening to/reading.

Australia and USA have easily done enough to show they want it - much more than Qatar so I ask you, what has Qatar really done to really show that they really want the WC. It seems that most of the people currently in Qatar could honestly not give a damn about it because they won't be in the country by 2022.
Will737 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup