daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #7201
Will737
...
 
Will737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Me!bourne
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Phwoooaaaarrr! Look at Qatar's bid power index!! They're a shoe-in to win 2022 now.
Qatr nine votes alreddy confrmed!!1!

You blind but qatr and fifa kno truth
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Oh sod off.
Will737 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #7202
Wezza
©
 
Wezza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Townsville
Posts: 8,861
Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
Qatr nine votes alreddy confrmed!!1!

You blind but qatr and fifa kno truth
Blatter ran to Qatar on his knees, they're guaranteed his vote.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #7203
T74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 622
Likes (Received): 1

man, i know this is this wine talking.......but Dec 3 will be bloody ugly here for a few people is "Expect Amazing" takes the day
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #7204
MoreOrLess
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,239
Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
So despite me telling you that 2 AFC teams beat 2 CONMEBOL teams you then take 60% of our places away.
It ain't gonna happen Sunshine because Asia will be the most important emerging market to FIFA over the next 50 years with 2 thirds of the Worlds population.

Time to move on,I've already wasted too much oxygen on this 1960's idea
CONMEBOL wouldnt be "taking away" anything under the system I purposed, every fed would naturally have fewer spots in a smaller world cup.

If you believe Asia deserves more spots than South American due to some friendly results dispite the latters vastly superior record in the WC going back decades then your deluding yourself.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #7205
MoreOrLess
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,239
Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
Shrinking the world cup is never going to happen. The television rights are FIFA's gravy train and they will never do anything to jeopardize that.

As for the number of stadiums I think you have a good point. The facility requirements are excessive particularly for bidders in the northern hemisphere who would be hosting in the summer when pitches are pristine and can handle far more traffic. They can realisitically hold a 32 team tournament with 5 or 6 venues.
I agree its never going to happen although I'd guess the reason is more that Blatter needs the support of the African, Asian and espeically North American feds who've gotten most of the extra spots to stay in power.

Money wise I think a WC similar to the one I suggested could actually make more, fewer games but does anyone really watch 3 games a day? you'd have alot more games between big teams in larger stadia.

The WC is IMHO trading on its previous rep and if it continues to provide the sub standard football we've seen recently I don't think thats going to last forever. Compair that to the 16 team european championship which has produced far superior football exactly because the big sides have met more often.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #7206
Bolsilludo
Yo ♥ Europa & Cono Sur
 
Bolsilludo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montevideo URUGUAY
Posts: 4,951
Likes (Received): 4861

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
So despite me telling you that 2 AFC teams beat 2 CONMEBOL teams you then take 60% of our places away.
It ain't gonna happen Sunshine because Asia will be the most important emerging market to FIFA over the next 50 years with 2 thirds of the Worlds population.

Time to move on,I've already wasted too much oxygen on this 1960's idea
If you want to talk about friendy matches...

Last week:

Indonesia 1 - Uruguay 7
Brazil 3 - Iran 0
United Arab Emirates 0 - Chile 2

Today:

China 0 - Uruguay 4
Oman 0 - Chile 1
__________________

..........
......


CONO SUR
CHILE - ARGENTINA - URUGUAY
Bolsilludo no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #7207
JYDA
Registered User
 
JYDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,172
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Probably be better off giving CONCACAF's .5 spot to COMNEBOL and take another full spot off them as well & give it to UEFA, 3.5 is way too many. 2 spots sounds more reasonable.
Since the expansion of the world cup to 32 teams the three worst showings have all been by teams from one confederation...... Asia! The only confederation that has sent teams to the world cup that were disgracefully uncompetitive.

2002: China 0 pts, -9 GD
2002: Saudi Arabia 0 pts, -12 GD
2010: North Korea: 0 pts, -11 GD

They've also lost three consecutive intercontinental qualification play-offs.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #7208
MysteryMike
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolsilludo View Post
If you want to talk about friendy matches...

Last week:

Indonesia 1 - Uruguay 7
Brazil 3 - Iran 0
United Arab Emirates 0 - Chile 2

Today:

China 0 - Uruguay 4
Oman 0 - Chile 1
That doesn't seem like a very fair comparison. South America has 10 members in it's association and Uruguay, Chile and Brazil were in the top 4 teams during qualification for the world cup and they went onto do really well, whereas Asia has 46 teams and China, Indonesia, UAE and Oman were all no where near even qualifying for the world cup. If you want to do comparisons, I guess you'd have to use the nations that actually qualified such as Australia, Japan, South Korea and perhaps North Korea. As far as those results go in recent times, all I know is.

Japan 1 Argentina 0
Australia 1 Paraguay 0

Football in Asia is well and truly coming up and to assist that development the world cup in 2022 should be held in the Asian Confederation (as long as Europe wins the 2018 bid of course ).
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #7209
MysteryMike
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
Since the expansion of the world cup to 32 teams the three worst showings have all been by teams from one confederation...... Asia! The only confederation that has sent teams to the world cup that were disgracefully uncompetitive.

2002: China 0 pts, -9 GD
2002: Saudi Arabia 0 pts, -12 GD
2010: North Korea: 0 pts, -11 GD

They've also lost three consecutive intercontinental qualification play-offs.
I think North Korea is a very harsh inclusion on that list they got like 9 of those goals scored against them in one game or more accurately in the 2nd half of that game vs Portugal. Obviously something happened to them, otherwise they played good football throughout and done really well against the likes of Brazil.

As for the recent worst performance ever by any confederation at a world cup well I think CONCACAF covered that well and truly in 2006.

World Cup 2006
Costa Rica 0 points
Trinidad and Tobago 1 point
United States 1 point

Now that's not just one team being bad, that's the whole confederation being pathetic. I thought even this time the USA were extremely fortunate to end up with 5 points, thanks to fluke goals at the death, otherwise it would've been almost a similar performance for CONCACAF this time.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #7210
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,851
Likes (Received): 2401

Enough of the pissing contest between North America and Asia. The fact is that they are about equal, and should have the same number of World Cup berths and they probably will after the FIFA meeting.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #7211
JYDA
Registered User
 
JYDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,172
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
As for the recent worst performance ever by any confederation at a world cup well I think CONCACAF covered that well and truly in 2006.

World Cup 2006
Costa Rica 0 points
Trinidad and Tobago 1 point
United States 1 point

Now that's not just one team being bad, that's the whole confederation being pathetic. I thought even this time the USA were extremely fortunate to end up with 5 points, thanks to fluke goals at the death, otherwise it would've been almost a similar performance for CONCACAF this time.
Yeah, the USA were really "fortunate" when the referee disallowed a clearly valid winner against Slovenia. They had another first half goal wrongly disallowed in the first half against Algeria.

As for 2006, all but one asian team finished last in their group and none made the round of 16. You conveniently excluded Mexico who made it out of their group that year. Even Trinidad defeated Asia's 5th place team just to get into the tournament.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #7212
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Getting such good vibes from the Russian bid. Nice bid videos. Massive government backing. Catching up every day. Great renders!
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #7213
MysteryMike
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
Yeah, the USA were really "fortunate" when the referee disallowed a clearly valid winner against Slovenia. They had another first half goal wrongly disallowed in the first half against Algeria.

As for 2006, all but one asian team finished last in their group and none made the round of 16. You conveniently excluded Mexico who made it out of their group that year. Even Trinidad defeated Asia's 5th place team just to get into the tournament.
Obviously last minute injury time flukes don't count as fortunate, neither does literally own goals by opposition goalkeepers. USA in no way should have made it out of the group. In 2006, Australia weren't part of Asia however they are now and they did make the round of 16 and only just lost to eventual champions Italy. In the 2002 world cup South Korea made it to the final four. As for defeating Asia's 5th place team, Oceania even achieved that when New Zealand beat Bahrain again to qualify and now word is New Zealand will also join Asia, just as Australia did and they went through undefeated in the world cup, which will further strengthen the Asian Confederation.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #7214
MysteryMike
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Getting such good vibes from the Russian bid. Nice bid videos. Massive government backing. Catching up every day. Great renders!
England had good vibes for the 2006 world cup but then various factors conspired to sink the ship. I can't help but feel that somewhat similar factors may sink the Russian armada this time around.

Last edited by MysteryMike; October 13th, 2010 at 12:10 AM.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #7215
Wezza
©
 
Wezza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Townsville
Posts: 8,861
Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
Since the expansion of the world cup to 32 teams the three worst showings have all been by teams from one confederation...... Asia! The only confederation that has sent teams to the world cup that were disgracefully uncompetitive.

2002: China 0 pts, -9 GD
2002: Saudi Arabia 0 pts, -12 GD
2010: North Korea: 0 pts, -11 GD

They've also lost three consecutive intercontinental qualification play-offs.
So what are you all so worried about? The .5 spot has effectively gone to another confederation if that's the case.

Time to cut back CONCACAF's spots, the only teams that are half decent are the yanks & Mexico.

P.S. Why are we talking about this subject here? What does it have to do with the 2018/2022 bids.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #7216
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,851
Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Time to cut back CONCACAF's spots, the only teams that are half decent are the yanks & Mexico.
If USA and Mexico are considered "half decent", then Asia must be abysmal. Who would they put up against USA and Mexico? South Korea, Japan, Australia? Give me a break.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #7217
_X_
Registered User
 
_X_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Geelong,Australia
Posts: 1,387
Likes (Received): 510

Obviously this argument could go on and on but its not relevant to discuss cutting back the WC competition from 32 teams to 20 as its got zero to do with this thread.
I thought I killed it a few pages ago but knucklehead wants to keep discussing it.Take your 1950's hair brain idea to another forum mate

End rant
__________________
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #7218
hngcm
Registered User
 
hngcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,644
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
So what are you all so worried about? The .5 spot has effectively gone to another confederation if that's the case.

Time to cut back CONCACAF's spots, the only teams that are half decent are the yanks & Mexico.

P.S. Why are we talking about this subject here? What does it have to do with the 2018/2022 bids.
As opposed to Asia that has zero decent teams...

Mexico and the USA have beaten decent teams in meaningful tournaments, not in friendly games played at home 10,000 miles away from the other country.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #7219
mattec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 820
Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
As opposed to Asia that has zero decent teams...

Mexico and the USA have beaten decent teams in meaningful tournaments, not in friendly games played at home 10,000 miles away from the other country.
South Korea is pretty good
mattec no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #7220
Bolsilludo
Yo ♥ Europa & Cono Sur
 
Bolsilludo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montevideo URUGUAY
Posts: 4,951
Likes (Received): 4861

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
That doesn't seem like a very fair comparison. South America has 10 members in it's association and Uruguay, Chile and Brazil were in the top 4 teams during qualification for the world cup and they went onto do really well, whereas Asia has 46 teams and China, Indonesia, UAE and Oman were all no where near even qualifying for the world cup. If you want to do comparisons, I guess you'd have to use the nations that actually qualified such as Australia, Japan, South Korea and perhaps North Korea. As far as those results go in recent times, all I know is.

Japan 1 Argentina 0
Australia 1 Paraguay 0

Football in Asia is well and truly coming up and to assist that development the world cup in 2022 should be held in the Asian Confederation (as long as Europe wins the 2018 bid of course ).
So it's like I said, ASIA HAS ONLY THREE COMPETITIVE TEAMS, WHILE SOUTH AMERICA HAS EIGHT!. Who wins?.
__________________

..........
......


CONO SUR
CHILE - ARGENTINA - URUGUAY
Bolsilludo no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu