daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 16th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #7341
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
USA 2022 v. Australia 2022

Bitch, it's ours!
its not a two horse race though......wonder which bid this could be

T74 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #7342
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
The parallel timing of these two announcements is very curious. At this point, I'd be very surprised if it went to anyone other than England and USA. Everyone else seems to have too many flaws, considering how they compare to those two.
I don't think its any secret that the English FA have been courting CONCACAF for the last 2-3 years.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #7343
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
man! you just made this the Australian 2022 campaign slogan:

"ohh......come on!! they had a turn already!!"

Worked to perfection for Ri0 2016.
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #7344
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
its not a two horse race though......wonder which bid this could be

Ohh **** man that made me giggle so hard
woozoo no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #7345
USP

Likes (Received): 0

I could hardly imagine that FIFA will give the right to host next two World Cup's to english speaking countries at once... sorryee =) England18/Australia22 or England18/USA22 - world won't get it. The last couple sounds improbable to me. That's the reason why Chicago quit the race for 2016 Summer Olympics. The only contries standing a better chances for 2022 are Australia and USA. Japan and Korea hosted WC just 8 years ago. It is still too early each for them to bid for the next WC. Qatar... that project was a joke from the beginning. maybe once they will be allowed to host Olympics as well as Singapore (i believe that) but never World Cup. and you know... arab states... alcohol is banned... no beer... no vodka... all girls wear black burkas... that's not a football atmosphere at all.

So I think Spain and Portugal have best chances for 2018. And Australia - for 2022. I also don't disregard my country. Owing to different sport venues, we will exactly have 6 top-class stadiums by the beginning of 2014 (3 in Moscow), 1 in Saint-Petersburg, 1 in Kazan and 1 in Sochi. The goal for the government is to built stadiums just in 5 other cities. That mission is possible.
USP no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #7346
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10435

The US has withdrawn its bid for the 2018 WC..I think the UK is the favorite.

Quote:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...focus-on-2022/

US pulls bid to host 2018 WCup to focus on 2022

By The Associated Press,

Friday, October 15, 2010 at 9:23 a.m.

ZURICH — The United States pulled out Friday of the bidding race for the 2018 World Cup, switching its focus to winning the hosting rights for 2022.

The decision, which had been expected, came after "months of careful deliberation" between FIFA, UEFA and the U.S. bid team, said FIFA, soccer's world governing body.

U.S. bid chairman Sunil Gulati said in a statement that the move is in its "best interests."

Australia, Japan, Qatar and South Korea are also bidding to stage the 2022 event.

The 2018 World Cup will now be played in Europe , either in England, Russia or the joint bids of Netherlands-Belgium and Spain-Portugal.

With FIFA rules stipulating that successive World Cups cannot be played on the same continent, England responded to the U.S. decision by withdrawing its 2022 bid.

Europe has long been expected to host in 2018 because the 2010 tournament was in South Africa and the 2014 finals are in Brazil.

FIFA will choose both hosts on Dec. 2.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #7347
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
_x_, are you not concerned about this?
Quote:
China's federation said in July it wants to host in 2026 -- a potential campaign that could prompt FIFA to keep Asia in the game by going to the U.S. four years earlier.

Nup,not one bit.AFC ExCo's have already proven that its never been said.Chung flew right off about it the other day basically accusing the USA of fabricating the story as its the only thing they can hang their hat on.

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33785
Quote:
FIFA vice president and Korean football leader Chung Mung-joon has launched a withering attack on the country’s 2022 World Cup bid rivals, suggesting they have waged a dirty tricks campaign for which they “definitely deserve a yellow card, if not red".

Speaking at the Leaders in Football conference in London, Chung said there was a “lingering suspicion” that a rival bid had deliberately taken out of context China’s desire to run for the 2026 tournament to suit its own ends.

Chung said that Chinese FA head Wei Di had denied to Asian Football Confederation colleagues quotes attributed to him in the Chinese state media in July, in which he entertained plans for a bid to host the 2026 finals.
China had exactly the same chance as everyone 18 months ago to ACTUALLY BID.As you'd be aware they have extreme problems with their FA-some of the worst of the 208 FIFA members

Quote:
Gambling, match-fixing, crooked referees and poor performances by the national team have made the sport the laughing stock of fans and a matter of mounting state concern.

Earlier this month, Chinese police formally arrested the former head of the China Football Association Xie Yalong -- the second CFA boss to be embroiled in a widening graft scandal -- and other top football officials.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...013-16i4t.html

Regarding 2026 the Americans,in a unique situation because of the rotation lineup will be awarded 2026 uncontested anyway.Its only 1360 days more .Compare this to Australia-Frank Lowy has already said we will not bid against China,so this is most likely our only realistic bid in my lifetime.Quite hard to take when I think about it
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #7348
Bolsilludo
Yo ♥ Europa & Cono Sur

Likes (Received): 4861

Quote:
Well if they don't get it this time around, Aussie will certainly be able to get another crack at it in 2026 won't they? Obviously you would have to hope China doesn't bid, because they would be a virtual lock, but if they don't I'd say Aussie has a great shot against Africa. South America is probably holding out for that stupid centennial thing that is destined to fail abysmally.
Watch your words brother!. Who laughs last, laughs best!.

CONO SUR
CHILE - ARGENTINA - URUGUAY
Bolsilludo no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #7349
JimB

Likes (Received): 4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by USP View Post
I could hardly imagine that FIFA will give the right to host next two World Cup's to english speaking countries at once... sorryee =) England18/Australia22 or England18/USA22 - world won't get it. The last couple sounds improbable to me. That's the reason why Chicago quit the race for 2016 Summer Olympics. The only contries standing a better chances for 2022 are Australia and USA. Japan and Korea hosted WC just 8 years ago. It is still too early each for them to bid for the next WC. Qatar... that project was a joke from the beginning. maybe once they will be allowed to host Olympics as well as Singapore (i believe that) but never World Cup. and you know... arab states... alcohol is banned... no beer... no vodka... all girls wear black burkas... that's not a football atmosphere at all.

So I think Spain and Portugal have best chances for 2018. And Australia - for 2022. I also don't disregard my country. Owing to different sport venues, we will exactly have 6 top-class stadiums by the beginning of 2014 (3 in Moscow), 1 in Saint-Petersburg, 1 in Kazan and 1 in Sochi. The goal for the government is to built stadiums just in 5 other cities. That mission is possible.
Of all the European bids, I would say that Spain / Portugal have the least chance of success at the moment.

They can offer by far the best collection of stadiums but they can only do so as a joint bid. And my impression is that FIFA would ideally prefer single nation bids. I'm also quite certain that most UEFA countries would prefer a single nation bid - because the more hosts from UEFA, the less qualifying places from UEFA.

The fact that Portugal will only be providing 3 of the stadiums (2 in one city) is a further black mark against the bid. At least Japan and South Korea were equal partners in terms of stadiums and cities used. Given that Spain hosted the World Cup as recently as 1982 and that they could easily host on their own again, the perception is that they have only included Portugal in their bid in order to be able to counter the inevitable claims from their competitors that it isn't Spain's turn. And that might not go down well with FIFA delegates.

At the moment, I think it's too close to call between England and Russia. Who knows - maybe Holland / Belgium could be the dark horse which makes the last minute dash to the line? But Spain / Portugal will really have to wow the FIFA delegates if they are to overcome the inherent weakness of theirs being a "joint" bid that very heavily favours one country (that has hosted the World Cup relatively recently) over the other.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #7350
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Nup,not one bit.AFC ExCo's have already proven that its never been said.Chung flew right off about it the other day basically accusing the USA of fabricating the story as its the only thing they can hang their hat on.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. Believe what you want regarding China. No one actually knows, including myself, whether any of it is true. It's definitely something to consider though. All I'm saying is that passing on Asia this time around protects FIFA. Austrlia and Qatar are welcome to bid in 2026 as a back-up in case China doesn't bid.

Quote:
Compare this to Australia-Frank Lowy has already said we will not bid against China,so this is most likely our only realistic bid in my lifetime.Quite hard to take when I think about it
Plenty of soccer fans around the world live in countries that will never host a World Cup. So they go themselves. That's why we invented jumbo jets. I sure as hell am not waiting around until for the World Cup to come to my country to go to one. Damn dude, you're acting as if the world would end...Actually you might be right, none of this really matters, since no tournament will make it past 2012.

Last edited by slipperydog; October 16th, 2010 at 10:15 PM.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #7351
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Sounds like the shit might be hitting the fan if this is true:

Two Fifa officials offer to sell votes in contest to host 2018 World Cup, Sunday Times alleges

From the BBC News Ticker....more coming soon I'm sure...

Last edited by RobH; October 16th, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #7352
RobH

For any Brits reading this, BBC Radio 5Live will be discussing these accusations at 10PM tonight. Sounds like the Times are going big with this tomorrow morning.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #7353
RobH

News trickling out, but now top news on the BBC:

Two Fifa officials are alleged to have offered to sell their votes in the contest to host the 2018 World Cup, according to a Sunday Times report.

The newspaper claims Nigerian Amos Adamu, a Fifa executive committee member, asked for £500,000 for a "personal project", against Fifa rules.

And Oceania Football Confederation president Reynald Temarii, wanted money for a sports academy for his vote.

Fifa will decide the hosts of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups on 2 December.

More to follow.

Link
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #7354
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

That's a numerous allegation from Britain. If this turn out to be yet again fake Britain would have an only option - to withdraw from WC2018.
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #7355
RobH

Very funny
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #7356
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 23

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but doesn't it make sense now to create seperate a FIFA WC Bid Thread for 2018 and a different one for 2022? I mean a lot of nations have canceled their bids for 2018, and are soley focusing on 2022, yet it doesn't make sense to discuss them in a thread that involves 2 seperate events.

Europe is getting 2018, so 2022 bids are better discussed in a different thread, no?
(I know most, if not all, nations do have their own individual threads, but if we are to rationally compare them to other bids, the only thread to do so is this one; which, like I said, makes no sense since it considers 2 seperate WC's)

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #7357
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

This is the Times not an FA private text message to a mistress, I'd be supprized if they didnt have pretty sound evidense to back it up.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #7358
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
That's a numerous allegation from Britain. If this turn out to be yet again fake Britain would have an only option - to withdraw from WC2018.
I don't see why. It's not as if the claim is that particular countries are using bribes to get votes. It's also not the FA making the allegation.

Germany got the 2006 world cup on the back of faked bribes, and no action was taken.

Of course the big problem now is that it might put delegates off an England bid. The exposure will have cost a few the possibility of a luxury retirement home, and they won't forget that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
This is the Times not an FA private text message to a mistress, I'd be supprized if they didnt have pretty sound evidense to back it up.
The newspaper has video footage in which Nigerian Amos Adamu, a Fifa executive committee member, appears to ask for £500,000.

In the video, Adamu was asked whether the money for a "private project" would have an effect on the way he voted, he replied: "Obviously, it will have an effect. Of course it will. Because certainly if you are to invest in that, that means you also want the vote."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9099326.stm
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #7359
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Yep, that's how I feel about 2022 as well - I'd rather the US waited longer and FIFA gave the Ozzies a chance. I'm a total hyporcrite in wanting England 2018 instead of Russia though, who have never hosted before, but that's just the way of these things. You support your home team.

Slipperydog, "the USA is a technically superior bid in virtually every aspect", but it will always be, and - along with having hosted recenty in 1994 - that's its biggest problem right there. This isn't like the Olympic bid process where the IOC grabs the iron while its hot, knowing a chance might not come again because a city might not have the appetite. FIFA knows the USA will bid until they win (why wouldn't they - they've not nothing to lose and everything to gain?) and they know everytime they bid they will offer all the things you've listed. Bypassing the US in 2022 in favour of Australia may well suit them, and they'll know the USA will almost certainly be back another time with a similarly excellent bid.
But why? 3 southern hermisphere WCs (OK, broken in 2018) in almost a row??? And then, Oz is a what? 25 million market. The US (plus neighboring Canada and Mexico) presents a 400-million market right there.

Why should FIFA wait another 4 years?

You can probably hold an Olympics in a 10-million country...but you can't hold the men's World Cup in a country (outside of Europe and No. America) smaller than RSA's 49.5 million.
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #7360
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

^
You're a fool. Australia's key market area is over two billion people.
Solopop no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup