daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 27th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #721
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de
as Selcuk already said
FIFA is against Two-Countries-Bids!
and 2018 will be in England to 90%

Turkey and Greece should bid (alone) for the EURO first.
All these are fairy tales. FIFA is not against anything. Also England won't have anything, they already had Olympics. There are many countries in the world. Not only a few country, Olympics for them, World Cup for them, Euro for them. Why do we join then...Enough is enough...
Kuvvaci no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #722
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpels
the south of Korea is very close to Honsu island in Japan
Google earth makes it around 110 miles compaired to 100 between Greece an southern Italy.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #723
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkPirdhu
No i doubt it, Europe has plenty of countries with huge stadiums. Look at Germany and how many stadiums they have, Turkey has a few big stadiums Greece only has one. It's just not enough.

Other countries like Italy, Germany, England, France etc are better qualified than these countries. I don't even think the Balkans alltogether can manage a world cup better that these countries.
A you should research and learn more about us. Turkey is a construction giant. It's so easy to build anything here. Also cheaper than another country. For example if Allianz Arena was in Turkey, construction would cost 40% cheaper. Look Fenerbahçe Sükrü Saraçoğlu stadium almost the half of any stadium in Germany. But better than some of World Cup stadiums, equal with the majority, worse than only 3 World Cup stadiums of Germany.
Kuvvaci no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #724
Prometheus

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkPirdhu
So what i'm saying is that countries like italy, germany, england, france, brazil, argentina etc you get the point, countries that always participate in the world cup should be given more of a chance since them hosting the world cup wont seem as though they're just trying to be in the world cup (since host nations are in no matter what, they dont have to qualify)
While in reality the facts dicatate that only the larger wealthier nations can host WCs, it's BS to say that no one else should because they are not "consistent".

If they put forward a good bid, then they derserve the shot. The alternative is to shuttle the WC between the same nations. This sucks. FIFA is supposed to promote the development of football in different places and help facilitate better infrastructure for it.
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #725
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6300

Right, I'm gonna cut right through all the crap here and say, as far as the topic in this thread goes, it is absolute nonsense, for two main reasons:

-Italy has already hosted the world cup fairly recently (1990) and will not be getting it for quite some time!

-FIFA does not like joint bids, especially when there are single bids available, and especially when the two countries bdding arn't even land-locked together!

And that's that!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:48 AM   #726
Christos7

Likes (Received): 2

Greece cannot host a WC. Even a joint bid IMO would not be logical, forget about hosting it alone.

Greece-Italy would have all kinds of logistical problems. Plus Italy can host it alone. Even Portugal cannot host a WC. To big and to expensive. I mean they could, just as Greece could, but it makes no sense and afterwards would be alot of empty seats.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #727
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim
Right, I'm gonna cut right through all the crap here and say, as far as the topic in this thread goes, it is absolute nonsense, for two main reasons:

-Italy has already hosted the world cup fairly recently (1990) and will not be getting it for quite some time!

-FIFA does not like joint bids, especially when there are single bids available, and especially when the two countries bdding arn't even land-locked together!

And that's that!

Erm, you're not cutting through anything!

Merely repeating what I wrote a page back....and that didn't put a stop to the debate either!
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #728
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos7
^ I wish you Brits would have took this confident and positive attitude for the 2004 games, instead of freaking out and treating Athens as if it was Baghdad.
Don't know what you're talking about.

Think you'll find that more British fans travelled to the Olympics than from any other nation. Huge numbers of Brits attended the various events.

You need to learn to ignore the excesses of the British tabloid press. We all do!
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #729
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187
What I don't understand is the problem against joint bid. Korea and Japan did a good job didn't they. and the EC 2000 in Belgium and the Netherlands wasn't that bad was it?
is there a special/comercial reasion that the Fifa is against these bids?
I think nor Turkey nor Greece can/should do this on it's one, because I think it would be to much asked of those countries, maybe I underastemate here, but that is just the feeling I have.
Joint bids means that two of the qualifying places (instead of one) are already taken up by the host countries.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:43 AM   #730
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by neorion
Try telling that to the mother of that innocent Brazilian guy. I hope it doesn't happen, but unfortunately I think we're in for a security nightmare in London. Govts may have to prepare travel warnings. No doubt terrorists are scum, but unfortunately nothing can guarantee they won't act. We have to get to the root of the problem to really stop it.
Terrorist groups intent on maximising their publicity by bombing a World Cup event won't care where it is held.

Publicity and terror is their aim and bombing a World Cup event in Australia, China, Brazil, Greece or Turkey would make as many worldwide headlines as bombing a World Cup event in England.

So, with relation to the World Cup, England is no more a security threat than any other country.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #731
Christos7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB
Don't know what you're talking about.

Think you'll find that more British fans travelled to the Olympics than from any other nation. Huge numbers of Brits attended the various events.

You need to learn to ignore the excesses of the British tabloid press. We all do!

Do you have any statistics to back that up?

I didn't run into a whole lot of British people. And anyway, it would have been easier to ignore the press, had many of the people who read the press not took it and ran with it to seemingly rub in our faces. (you may not know what I am talking about, however I personally did not forget it)
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:57 AM   #732
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci
All these are fairy tales. FIFA is not against anything. Also England won't have anything, they already had Olympics. There are many countries in the world. Not only a few country, Olympics for them, World Cup for them, Euro for them. Why do we join then...Enough is enough...
1. The Olympics will be held in one city. The World Cup is an event that encompasses a whole nation (or two, in 2002).

2. The IOC and FIFA are completely different organisations. A decision made by one organisation has no bearing on a decision made by the other. You might just as well say, since London will host the 2012 Olympics, that England cannot hold the 2013 Eurovision song contest; or that Birmingham cannot be voted the 2014 European City of Culture; or that the UK cannot host a summit meeting of G8 leaders in 2015!
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:06 AM   #733
JimB

Quote:
Do you have any statistics to back that up?

I didn't run into a whole lot of British people. And anyway, it would have been easier to ignore the press, had many of the people who read the press not took it and ran with it to seemingly rub in our faces. (you may not know what I am talking about, however I personally did not forget it)
I don't have statistics but I do remember remarks by IOC officials who said that one of the deciding factors in London's successful bid was that they had been very impressed by the huge number of British fans who attended the Olympics.

And yes, I I think I do know what you're talking about. And it seems to me that you're making the classic error of thinking that a few British people making disparaging remarks about Athens 2004 - on a message board that is completely unknown to 99.999% of the British population - represent our entire nation. Nothing could be further from the truth. Take it from me. Hardly anyone in Britain (barring a few journos - who make a living out of writing negative stories) gave a monkeys about security at Athens 2004.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #734
Christos7

The IOC say alot of things, especially when they want themselves/there dealings to look good. I am not saying you are a lier or anything, however it was not my experience. Could very well be the case, I don't know.

Generally, no, the average person didn't care. However, they were definately effected by the media which in turn effected how they viewed the games. I was in both America and England in the build up to the games, and in my dealings and conversation (and with business partners while there) there was a general fear much higher than was needed, many to the point where they said they wouldn't go anywhere near Athens in 2004. I wonder if the same attitude will be for London in 2012? Somehow I don't think so. So it's not so easy to seperate media and the people. And excusing both the media and the "idiots" on the internet forums isn't exactly a great excuse for me. Unfortunately those are two of the biggest mouthpieces to be heard. Even though I do acknowledge most in England probably did not really give a crap about the games, especially since it had no bearing on their lives.

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:42 AM   #735
JimB

Quote:
Generally, no, the average person didn't care. However, they were definately effected by the media which in turn effected how they viewed the games. I was in both America and England in the build up to the games, and in my dealings and conversation (and with business partners while there) there was a general fear much higher than was needed, many to the point where they said they wouldn't go anywhere near Athens in 2004. I wonder if the same attitude will be for London in 2012? Somehow I don't think so. So it's not so easy to seperate media and the people. And excusing both the media and the "idiots" on the internet forums isn't exactly a great excuse for me. Unfortunately those are two of the biggest mouthpieces to be heard. Even though I do acknowledge most in England probably did not really give a crap about the games, especially since it had no bearing on their lives.
As I said, take it from me: hardly anyone in Britain gave a monkeys about the 2004 Games until the fortnight of the Games actually started. Media coverage of security issues in Athens before the Games went almost entirely unnoticed by the vast majority of people - and entirely unheeded by those few who did notice. I doubt that there were more than a handful of people who decided not to go on the back the negative reports.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #736
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Joint bids means that two of the qualifying places (instead of one) are already taken up by the host countries.
Two Hosts should play off and the winner gets automotically through....easy fixed.
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #737
bobo_greek

Likes (Received): 0

then if the other host doesnt make it?
bobo_greek no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #738
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Quote:
1. The Olympics will be held in one city. The World Cup is an event that encompasses a whole nation (or two, in 2002).

2. The IOC and FIFA are completely different organisations. A decision made by one organisation has no bearing on a decision made by the other. You might just as well say, since London will host the 2012 Olympics, that England cannot hold the 2013 Eurovision song contest; or that Birmingham cannot be voted the 2014 European City of Culture; or that the UK cannot host a summit meeting of G8 leaders in 2015!
don't worry, i know... It's not important if Olympics will be held in one city. Olympics and WC are two most important organizations of the planet and and Olympics will be held in England although it is in one city or not. It's in England. ;Also footnall games at the Olympics are nationwide, not only in the same city.

Also FIFA and IOC have coordination, although they are independent organizations. Otherwise the IOC wouldn't ask important if the host city or country organized any event before and wich events they are.

England WC1960, Euro 1996, Olympics 2012. Why again WC for England? England is not only country wich can host such events. Other countries can do very well...
Kuvvaci no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #739
Genç
re re re ra ra ra

Likes (Received): 34

Who'll host 2014 then?
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #740
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci
England WC1960, Euro 1996, Olympics 2012. Why again WC for England? England is not only country wich can host such events. Other countries can do very well...
Of course.

But, I repeat: FIFA and the IOC are two entirely separate organisations and the World Cup and the Olympic Games are two entirely different events. Each organisation may know what the other is doing. They may well consult. But they will not - absolutely not - make their decisions on which country will host the World Cup or which city will host the Olympic Games on the basis of what the other organisation has decided.

Countries like the USA, Italy and Germany have all hosted the Olympics, the Winter Olympics and the World Cup in recent years - in the case of the US, on more than one occasion. The latter two have also hosted the European Championship. France has hosted the World Cup, the winter Olympics and the European Championship.

Japan hosted the winter Olympics in 1998 and the World Cup in 2002. Mexico hosted the Olympics in 1968 and the World Cup only two years later. They then hosted the World Cup again in 1986. Germany hosted the Olympics in 1972 and the World Cup only two years later. The USA hosted the World Cup in 1994 and the Olympics only two years later. Spain hosted the World Cup in 1982 and the Olympics in 1992. South Korea hosted the Olympics in 1988 and the World Cup in 2002.

You're saying that all these countries can but now England can't? Complete and utter nonsense!

P.S. I'm well aware that some football matches during the 2012 Olympics will be played outside London. For some reason, that's what the IOC wanted. But honestly, you're being pedantic in the extreme. Those football matches will constitute about 0.00001% of the overall sporting events of the 2012 Olympics. I repeat: the Olympics is an event that is awarded to a City, not a country.
JimB está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup