daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 17th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #7381
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

It's opened up a can of you know what. I think the report will be fantastic actually. It's perfectly timed so the FIFA executive committee can pull their heads in.
MysteryMike no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #7382
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
You make some good points. But number 2 was a bit bewildering, not sure what that has to do with anything to be honest.
Well the 25 million foreign-born residents are from places like Honduras, Canada, Italy, England, Ireland, Poland, Germany, Japan, China, South Korea, Turkey, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc. This will help with attendance with games in those big stadiums that would not normally sell out with Americans-only in the crowd. Like I said, there's a good chance Cameroon vs. Turkey in Canberra would not be a sell-out. There are just more immigrants in the United States than any other country, which will help games like that in which there's not naturally a massive demand for tickets from the locals.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #7383
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

^
I think it will, most Australians will be able to afford a ticket, and these things are once in a lifetime on home soil.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #7384
slipperydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
^
I think it will, most Australians will be able to afford a ticket, and these things are once in a lifetime on home soil.
Right, but would you rather sell-out 48,000 Canberra or sell 3/4 (worstcase scenario) of 75,000 Dolphin Stadium?
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #7385
Solopop
Solopop

Canberra, it's in Australia.

FIFA, don't care about profit - the 2006 WC counted for 2% of there yearly profit.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #7386
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

FIFA get the TV money from a world cup, the hosts get the ticket revenue.
FIFA dont care how big the stadiums are as long as they meet the requirements, which are generous enough as it is.

As for this corruption thing, my concern is that one of the executives implicated is from oceania, which is one of few Australia could rely on for a vote. If he gets sanctioned as in cannot vote, then thats bad for oz.
woozoo está en línea ahora  
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #7387
slipperydog

Quote:
Canberra, it's in Australia.
And the Executive Committee very well may agree with you. We'll just have to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
FIFA get the TV money from a world cup, the hosts get the ticket revenue.
FIFA dont care how big the stadiums are as long as they meet the requirements
Not necessarily true. More ticket revenue means more profit to re-invest in soccer and the international legacy portion of the bid.
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #7388
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Not necessarily true. More ticket revenue means more profit to re-invest in soccer and the international legacy portion of the bid.
The legacy for football is worked out way before ticket sales and really has nothing to do with it. The legacy of the English bid is that England will take football to even more nations through the EPL and through their football development programs, the likes of David Beckham will run his academy pretty much throughout the world. In the case of Australia, it's the legacy the world cup will leave for not only football in Australia, but New Zealand, Oceania and Asia (via mostly the prime time television market). Obviously the FA and the FFA are working very closely with all the relevant associations to push through the football development and legacy aspect. Certainly as FIFA have stated this is definitely an area the US bid is lacking in and also in my opinion the Russian bid as well. I certainly haven't heard Russia talk about anyone other than their own nation, just like the US, however Russia certainly has more of a case than the US, not having hosted the world cup previously. Still it's simply not good enough to harp on about your country and nothing but.
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #7389
MysteryMike
BANNED

I love this recent interview from TSS about football development in Pakistan and the two countries he talks about in terms of football development are England and Australia. No surprise really. England obviously running the development of football in Pakistan and Australia being the benchmark for football development.
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #7390
slipperydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
The legacy for football is worked out way before ticket sales and really has nothing to do with it.
USA's international legacy aspect is directly relevant to number of tickets sold. Others may not be.
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #7391
Solopop
Solopop

So, if ticket sales are poor, there is no legacy. Tbh, that's appauling that there is that much lack of Government Support that they can't even commit too a legacy.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #7392
MysteryMike
BANNED

I thought it was all about a tax to really get more money for the US football association (or should I say USSF), I mean what a joke seriously. Lets not give it from our profits but lets tax the average fans further and rip them off to fund our bs water plan, so that we maximise our profits. But shhh don't tell anyone, we want it too look like we're good guys I mean come on, where's this money going to be given to? US companies? Right, that's worked so well in Iraq and this half baked plan came after Harrold Nichols went US International legacy??? I thought they could at least make something half decent, not a total joke for a legacy.
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #7393
slipperydog

I get that there's a lot of US hate. Totally understand. And you're entitled to believe whatever you want. I'm just trying to answer your questions the best I can.
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #7394
slipperydog

Quote:
Tbh, that's appauling that there is that much lack of Government Support that they can't even commit too a legacy.
Not sure that's actually an accurate statement regarding US government support, I really have no idea. But assuming you're correct, what's worse, not having the government's support or not having the support of your own domestic league?
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #7395
Solopop
Solopop

Quote:
Not sure that's actually an accurate statement regarding US government support, I really have no idea. But assuming you're correct, what's worse, not having the government's support or not having the support of your own domestic league?
Same could be said about the US.

And remember, the US league only kicked off after the WC. Imagine Australia with the WC, the football could really boom.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #7396
RobH

Likes (Received): 10316

FIFA will conduct an internal investigation.....

Fifa confirmed last night it will investigate allegations that two members of its committee have offered to sell their votes in the bid to stage the 2018 World Cup.

The race to host the tournament became clouded in controversy after the Sunday Times reported that Amos Adamu, a Fifa executive committee member from Nigeria, was filmed negotiating a deal with an undercover reporter where he would be paid £500,000 for his vote. Adamu requested the money, which would be used to build four artificial football pitches in Nigeria, would be paid to him personally.

The deal was allegedly finalised last month in Cairo when Adamu confirmed he would vote for the USA to host the 2018 World Cup. The USA has since withdrawn from the race and will focus on the bid for 2022.

It was also claimed that the president of the Oceania Football Confederation, Reynald Temarii, asked for £1.5m to fund a sports academy in exchange for his vote. In his meeting with an undercover reporter in Auckland, Temarii alleged that Oceania had been offered sums between £6m and £7.5m for their vote by supporters of two rival bid committees.

A statement from Fifa last night said: "Fifa and the Fifa ethics committee have closely monitored the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups and will continue to do so.

"Fifa has already requested to receive all of the information and documents related to this matter, and is awaiting to receive this material.

"In any case, Fifa will immediately analyse the material available and only once this analysis has concluded will Fifa be able to decide on any potential next steps.

"In the meantime, Fifa is not in a position to provide any further comments on this matter."

England are competing to host the 2018 World Cup with Russia, and joint bids from Spain and Portugal, and Holland and Belgium.

The Sunday Times quoted a former member of the Fifa committee downplaying England's chances of succeeding because they refused to offer such deals. "England have got all the good reasons why they should host it but they don't strike the deals ... It's sad but true."

Link
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #7397
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
I get that there's a lot of US hate. Totally understand. And you're entitled to believe whatever you want. I'm just trying to answer your questions the best I can.
I certainly don't hate the USA or its bid and will gladly go to 2026
I think we have a pretty good relationship-its just our turn,our one and only turn.The USA will host at least 3 times in my life(94,26,42)-if I make it that far
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #7398
RobH

Well, the Foreign Secretary is getting involved now as well...

Government is 'very disturbed' by World Cup votes story

The foreign secretary, William Hague, has said that the government was "very disturbed" to read of allegations in newspapers today that Fifa officials offered to sell their votes in the process to decide the hosts of the 2018 World Cup.

England are among the countries bidding to host the tournament.

Hague told Sky News: "It's disturbing to read what we read in today's newspapers. I don't know the truth of that but these are serious allegations.

"Of course we want all the proceedings in the World Cup bid to be carried out in a way that is ethically correct and that therefore means that everybody can respect the process and respect the result. I would call on all nations involved to carry out these proceedings in that way."

He added: "We're very disturbed by those allegations. Britain, whatever happens and whatever other countries do, will deal with this in a correct way doing absolutely nothing corrupt, paying no bribes and not corrupting this system in any way."

Link
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #7399
RobH

FIFA are considering postponing the decision on the 2018 and 2022 World Cups as they investigate allegations that two senior members offered to sell their votes.

Although some members are insistent the vote should go ahead on December 2 as planned, it is understood that a postponement is being talked about in senior circles of the world governing body.

Link
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #7400
Gondolier

Quote:
Right, but would you rather sell-out 48,000 Canberra or sell 3/4 (worstcase scenario) of 75,000 Dolphin Stadium?
Well, 3/4ths of 75,000 is still like 58,000. That's still 10,000 more than your Canberra 48,000.

That's NOT even the point. World Cup 1994 is still the HIGHEST attended World Cup -- not even exceeded by RSA 2010. The WC in the US averaged (I think) 94% per game. And that was only with 24 teams.

The Australian numbers really pale in comparison to another US tournament. Why should they go to a smaller country when going to the bigger one will be a sure success?

Solopoop, the 2 billion (highly inflated) viewing thing DOESN'T count because you DON'T expect those 2 billion viewers to be watching a Cameroon v. Paraguay game. And wherever in the world a WC is held, it will always be shown staggered arond the world. The only market that matters in a WC, television-wise, is Europe....just as in the Olympics, it is the US TV rights that bring in the big bucks.

Picking a bigger country is paramount to the success and capability of something as gargantuan as a World Cup. Consider: '02 - Japan AND Korea (about 160 million); '06 - a united Germany (90 mil); '10 - RSA (almost 50 mil); '14 - Brazil (right now, 176 million); almost certainly '18 - the UK (or england...whatever...silly splitting of hairs by some people - nearly 65 mil) -- and then they'd jump back to 20 million? Yeah...right.

And it's even a non-debatable issue if Oz say, had a top 12 team...which it doesn't. The only reason Oz is in there and given a chance...so it doesn't become a runaway for the US. That's all when you come down to it.
Gondolier no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup