daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #7441
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Well, then, you are merely heaping pig-headedness on to your ignorance.

If that's the impression you wish to give of yourself, be my guest. Fill your boots, fella.

Do me a favour, next time you wish to make such a trivial point, preface it with a "pedantry alert", will you? Then we'll all know to ignore it. There's a good lad.
And blow it out your ear.
Gondolier no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #7442
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 255

This is getting ridiculous, not that it's anything new when it comes to subjects like this. From my standpoint, I don't think we'd in that strong of a position. Yes, we have a mature economy but right now things are terrible. There's no answer as to when bad economic times end. So there's nothing much to brag about these days. Plus, there's the crazy politics going on.

I actually think Australia has a more than even shot at winning. First, geopolitics clearly disfavor US hosting any Olympic Games/World Cup. 2022 may just about be the last shot at hosting one of the major world sporting events. If we lose this, there's no point in going further.

Second, I don't want to go through another round of media eggheads yapping about whether the country cares about soccer or not. It happened again this year. Let's face it: the big media only really cares about NFL, NBA, MLB, NASCAR and college sports. It's a miracle that ESPN2 airs the MLS Game of The Week. Even the Spanish-speaking media is not all that excited about MLS.

Third, soccer fans consist of diehards and immigrants. There, I said it! I'm not going to pretend that it's anything mainstream. Oh, and I bet that now that the novelty has worn off on the whole World Cup thingy, the curiosity factor is no longer there. So better to hope that the immigrantes (i.e. Mexicans, assuming they're not disqualified for doing something stupid like...fielding overage players during youth tournaments) pick up the slack. Mr and Mrs Redneck just ain't gonna roll with that round ball with no hands.

Finally, it is STILL too soon. I feel sorry for Canadians who won't be able to get to games closest to them but they, like us, get to watch at home with HD screens (or whatever fancy tech replaces it by that time) again.

Would I like it here? Sure, I won't bitch if it comes here again but we had our moment in 1994. With high heat and humidity to go with. Start times at 1 and 4 PM. Whoop-dee-doo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I happen to think the likelyhood of a repeat US bid, especially when it would be virtually uncontested in 2026, is much higher than the likelyhood of a repeat Australia bid when it may or may not have China as a rival. I wouldn't want to see FIFA overlook Australia. That's my opinion.
I disagree. I think 2026 could see candidates from places like Poland, Turkey, Morocco and even Russia. If you think things are nasty now, imagine if we have to compete directly with Russia. The Kremlin would have a field day with anti-US propaganda through their RT television network. Not something I'd look forward to.

By then, Conmebol would want to push for 2026 to go to Eastern Europe, North Africa or Near Asia to clear way for their vaunted 2030 project. Two straight hosting duties in the Americas would look awkward. Also, Trader Jack won't be around forever. I bet after this year, he would either leave or be pushed out.

So, yeah, 2022 is just about our last real chance as well.
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #7443
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

No European countries will able to bid for 2026 under FIFA's current rules. Unless you know something we don't Russia will not be involved in that vote and nor would Poland or Turkey.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #7444
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Why doesn't OZ wait until 2026 where they can run unopposed?

Are they that afraid of China?
Who says we would be unopposed? That's a pretty naive thing to say.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #7445
Tallsmurf

Likes (Received): 18

Gondolier - England is not the UK - it is only part of it. Have a look at the bid - it does not include any stadiums in Scotland or Wales.

In fact the Olympics is the only significant sporting event where UK participate as a single team - maybe because it is primarily about personal success rather than team sports?

In virtually every other sport the UK participatea as separate nations (not sub-nations - the UK is not a nation it is a state - a multi-nation state similar to former USSR and Yugoslavia).

The UK is merely a political union - if it should be forced to play as one united team, then why not have a single EU team?
Tallsmurf no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #7446
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
No European countries will able to bid for 2026 under FIFA's current rules. Unless you know something we don't Russia will not be involved in that vote and nor would Poland or Turkey.
Up the Aussies, then?

Hmmm...assuming they don't change those rules, I would have to think that one a bit further. There has to emerge some real competition for what would still be a (potentially) lucrative proposition. After all, there were votes for Morocco in 1988. Maybe Mexico would put in a bid to make it more interesting. Perhaps Venezuela would bid just out of spite.
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #7447
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Who says we would be unopposed? That's a pretty naive thing to say.
People say the USA would be unopposed for 2026 so the same must be true for OZ!

China 2026.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #7448
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

China 2026.
USA would basically be unopposed

your only chance of a competing bid would be from Africa or North America (assuming Uruguay/Argentina are intent on 2030)

This means your competition is likely to be Mexico or Morocco, and that assuming they even bid (Mexico withdrew very early in this process)

If Asia is up for 2026, within Asia alone you would expect bids from China, at least one from the mid east, and possibly Japan and/or Korea again
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #7449
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:

China 2026.

Can you PLEASE do some research before posting ffs

A good start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_an...World_Cup_bids
+
-read the whole thread-by then it might be December 2,saving you from further embarassment
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #7450
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

2018 bid-dark blue
2022 bid-light blue
Cancelled bid-purple
Ineligible in 2018-orange
Ineligible in both-red

Looks like FIFA has already dismissed Doha
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #7451
RobH

Qatar is on there in light blue, can't you see it?
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #7452
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4634

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
The reason quality European teams miss out occasionaly, is that they play in a small group where only 1.5 teams prgress, a couple of mistakes results in disaster. Thats said, its very rare for the top European teams to miss out unless they go through a form slump/manger trouble etc during qualifying. But this is evidence that the CONMEBOL system is more fair. More games, played over a longer period of time is a better evaluator of team quality - hence Argentina and Brazil always get through.
Yes, you are right: COMEBOL qualifying system is more fair than European one. But do you really think that it would be possible to do the same thing with 52 teams for only 15 places ?

It's normal for Spain to play against Andorra or Luxemburg or San Marino but should Spain (or Italy, Germany, Netherlands...) play official match vs Andorra AND Luxembourg AND San Marino AND Liechteinstein AND...?

And what about teams like Kazahkstan, Armenia, Azerbaidjan, Israël, Georgia (I won't say Turkey: that's not the point) that are not in Europe but play in UEFA ?

Do you really think that FIFA should have accepted Faroe Islands or Northern Ireland ? And what about England, Scotland and Wales ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
How many cities could host games in Qatar ?
Qatar seems a bit too small for a FIFA World Cup but why not Olympic Games in Doha ?

So, I think that England is the main favorite for 2018 but Russia can be a surprize.
I don't think combined bid will succeed.

For 2022: Japan and Korea hosted together last WC in Asia (2002). I think they are out for 2022.The choice will be USA vs Australia...the first one allready hosted 1994: so AUSTRALIA will get it.

Then: Europe 2026 and Uruguay-Argentina 2030.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est

Last edited by eomer; October 18th, 2010 at 02:10 PM.
eomer no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #7453
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

So who does everyone think the two bidding nations being investigated for bribery are? I don't really understand what bidding nations would have to do with a bunch of British reporters just trying to dig up dirt on a couple corrupt dudes.

Last edited by slipperydog; October 18th, 2010 at 03:16 PM.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #7454
labytnangi

It is an alternative video for Russia's 2018 World Cup bid. You can learn Russian better and learn each city separately.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0MufOiEtrw
labytnangi no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #7455
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
Yes, you are right: COMEBOL qualifying system is more fair than European one. But do you really think that it would be possible to do the same thing with 52 teams for only 15 places ?

It's normal for Spain to play against Andorra or Luxemburg or San Marino but should Spain (or Italy, Germany, Netherlands...) play official match vs Andorra AND Luxembourg AND San Marino AND Liechteinstein AND...?

And what about teams like Kazahkstan, Armenia, Azerbaidjan, Israël, Georgia (I won't say Turkey: that's not the point) that are not in Europe but play in UEFA ?

Do you really think that FIFA should have accepted Faroe Islands or Northern Ireland ? And what about England, Scotland and Wales ?

How many cities could host games in Qatar ?
Qatar seems a bit too small for a FIFA World Cup but why not Olympic Games in Doha ?

So, I think that England is the main favorite for 2018 but Russia can be a surprize.
I don't think combined bid will succeed.

For 2022: Japan and Korea hosted together last WC in Asia (2002). I think they are out for 2022.The choice will be USA vs Australia...the first one allready hosted 1994: so AUSTRALIA will get it.

Then: Europe 2026 and Uruguay-Argentina 2030.
I didn't suggest that at all. I was disagreeing with someones suggestion that CONMEBOL be split into two groups of five.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #7456
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallsmurf View Post
Gondolier - England is not the UK - it is only part of it. Have a look at the bid - it does not include any stadiums in Scotland or Wales.

In fact the Olympics is the only significant sporting event where UK participate as a single team - maybe because it is primarily about personal success rather than team sports?

In virtually every other sport the UK participatea as separate nations (not sub-nations - the UK is not a nation it is a state - a multi-nation state similar to former USSR and Yugoslavia).

The UK is merely a political union - if it should be forced to play as one united team, then why not have a single EU team?
Duh! The United Nations does NOT recognize Scotland, Wales & No, Ireland as separate, sovereign NATIONS!! Does the US, RUssia, China, Abu Dhabi, etc., have separate relations with Scotland, Wales & NI? Do they have separate embassies in the world capitals? They are divisions that exist only in the British mind -- and which they have brainwashed the rest of your Commonwealth lackeys to 'accept.'

Every other sport? Not in swimming; not in volleyball; not by the ISU...and I am sure many others.

They are an ARTIFICIAL creation only recognized in the unreal world of SOME sports.
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #7457
Tallsmurf

Likes (Received): 18

..While Northern Ireland is arguably an artificial creation, Wales and Scotland are most definetly not - check your history books (if you can read).

It is an anomaly which may be corrected soon in any case - being forced to accept a common UK sports team could be the final wedge that breaks the UK apart
Tallsmurf no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #7458
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Duh! The United Nations does NOT recognize Scotland, Wales & No, Ireland as separate, sovereign NATIONS!!
About British Islands, there are two possibilities:
- Considering the rule "one country, one team", FIFA should recognise UK and Eire (just like Olympic International Commitee does)
- Considering the rule "one nation, one team", FIFA should reconize England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland (just like International Rugby Board does).

==> In both ways, Northern Ireland should not exist.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #7459
RobH

Quote:
They are divisions that exist only in the British mind
Since you're the only one continuing with this point, it seems that's not the case.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #7460
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post

Ineligible in both-red

Dismissed Doha? But why is that corner of Surinam and British Guyana not red? So that means they are eligible for either 2018 and 2022.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup