daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 18th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #7461
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
So who does everyone think the two bidding nations being investigated for bribery are? I don't really understand what bidding nations would have to do with a bunch of British reporters just trying to dig up dirt on a couple corrupt dudes.
Can someone clarify for me if it's two or more Bidding Nations that offered a bribe to the Nigerian and Oceania FIFA guys or is it the two FIFA guys who asked certain bidders for a bribe.
Walbanger no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #7462
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Since you're the only one continuing with this point, it seems that's not the case.
Because people have been conditioned to accept an artificial situation. That does NOT make it fact or a reality.

By common definition, you are a SOVEREIGN nation if the family of nations recognizes you as such and have emissaries to conduct relations. I never heard of a Welsh or Scottish ambassador to the US nor vice-versa. nations send ambassadors, and here is another silly British affectation...to the "Court of St. James." It just proves this silly British notion of little separate duchies.
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #7463
RobH

Likes (Received): 10325

Quote:
Because people have been conditioned to accept an artificial situation. That does NOT make it fact or a reality.
Er, yeah it does actually.

That's why the US played England in the last world cup. The reality is pretty clear to me.

I'm not taking lectures on geographical reality from someone who lives in a country where the "World Series" is the name of a domestic sports competition, sorry.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #7464
Tallsmurf

Likes (Received): 18

Gondolier - You are spectaculalry missing the point - Britain is a multinational state - one state (UK) which is recognised in UN - but comprising 4 (or maybe 3 1/2) separate nations with unique identities, histories and charecteristics, with varying degress of self-autonomy.

But unlike IOC which categorically recognises UN recognised countries only, FIFA is more flexible and recognises other territories and dependencies.
Tallsmurf no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #7465
Gondolier

Quote:
Er, yeah it does actually.

That's why the US played England in the last world cup. The reality is pretty clear to me.

I'm not taking lectures on geographical reality from someone who lives in a country where the "World Series" is the name of a domestic sports competition, sorry.
Well, I don't accept that either. It's just something named by the baseball marketers.

But tell me, when are Wales, Scotland and No, Ireland sending their ambassadors to Washington, DC -- as well as their Permanent Representatives to the United Nations (as they are called in case you did NOT know)? We are just waiting to send ours.
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #7466
RobH

Doesn't matter. We invented football, what we say goes. Like it or lump it
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #7467
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallsmurf View Post
Gondolier - You are spectaculalry missing the point - Britain is a multinational state - one state (UK) which is recognised in UN - but comprising 4 (or maybe 3 1/2) separate nations with unique identities, histories and charecteristics, with varying degress of self-autonomy.

But unlike IOC which categorically recognises UN recognised countries only, FIFA is more flexible and recognises other territories and dependencies.
No; I am not. You are.

So what you're saying is that FIFA is the more reocgnized world body than the UN? Funny, I never heard of FIFA peace-keeping troops. Yeah...I've seen those FIFA jackets on the field...but gee, I never mistook them for 'legitimate' world forces.

Why aren't Basque-Spain Quebec, Appalachia, Normandy, Chiapas, Chechnya, Kashmir, etc., separate "nations" like the English provinces of Wales, Scot & NI purport to be? Because their larger entities adhere to the more WIDELY accepted notion that to be a separate, sovereign NATION, OTHER nations must recognize you as such. Not by some sporting federation headed by addled fuddy-duddies who still like to wear armbands and not allow new technology to decide controversial decisions for fear that it will interrupt the flow of the game. At least the USSR, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia had the GUTS to actually break up and declare themselves SEPARATE, INDEPENDENT states. So silly...just like the silly 4-in-1 combo 'masquerade' that Britain likes to play.

YOU ARE SORELY mistaken in confusing a mindset of sports values with the reality of legitimate, sovereign nations. Funny, I never heard of a Welsh representative to the FAO, or the IAEA or UNESCO--sub-agencies of the United Nations, a legitimate body which deals with ACTUAL borders and people seeking homelands and legitimate citizenship? Odd that Milosevic was not tried by FIFA or the IAAF. Or that the war criminals of World War 2 were NOT tried by the IOC or FIFA. I wonder why?

And come to think of it, I haven't seen actual Scot, Welsh or Ulster passports. Have you?

Last edited by Gondolier; October 18th, 2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #7468
Gondolier

Quote:
Doesn't matter. We invented football, what we say goes. Like it or lump it
Ah...when backed up against a wall, little England goes to the sandbox and pulls the "it's our game card."

Awwwwwww. Hurt your sensibilities, little Robbie? Here's a band-aid.

Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike the UK or the Brits. It's just I have hard time taking this notion of 4 "substates" seriously...especially when it's ONLY accepted in only one or 2 sports and NOT in the rest..but all the sycophants around blare it as it were divine, natural law. At least be consistent. At least Puerto Rico and Guam are recognized as separate teams across the board (where they can field teams or athletes).

[I once worked with this crazy, paranoid Puerto Rican girl who boldly told me to my face that...yeah, we have our own passports. I thought keeping quiet was the wiser thing to do than face a half-crazed, frustrated Puerto Rican nationalist. Also encountered one Armenian woman working in a gas, or I guess I should use 'petrol' in case you do not understand 'gas station,' before Armenia became a separate state (haven't checked the daily racetrack sheet--is it even an independent nation now?), and like the fantasy-driven Puerto Riquena, told me that "...yeah, we Armenians have our own passports." But I could plainly see that she was disbelieving her own lie..and she knew that I knew. ]

On the other hand, China, it seems has reined in the Macao Olympic Committee since Macao is technically just another Chinese city now. But they are keeping HKG separate because it suits them to keep a so-called "autonomous' window to the world--a courtesy they have NOT accorded Tibet (since Tibet never head a 'sugar-daddy' like HongKong. So, of course, that must be part of the British mindset legacy...insofar as HongKong is concerned: let's keep those 'credentials' in the drawer in case we have to pull them out someday. (Just as of course, it was Britain and France that drew most of the present borders of the Middle East and Africa to suit their interests...not the interests of the indigenous populace of those regions. But we'll save that topic for another day...)

My point is the English 4-nation-deal is just some sh*t that the U.K. likes to pull when it fits its purpose. It is like a skin-tag or something--just left hanging there because it's "cute" or "quaint." But it doesn't fool me one bit.

Last edited by Gondolier; October 18th, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #7469
RobH

I take that response to mean "lump it". Fair enough, but it ain't going to change.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #7470
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Can someone clarify for me if it's two or more Bidding Nations that offered a bribe to the Nigerian and Oceania FIFA guys or is it the two FIFA guys who asked certain bidders for a bribe.
The Tahitian has said he was offered between $10 and $12 million by 2 different parties
The 2 ExCo's under the pump are Tahiti and Nigeria
The Tahitian hardly has anything to worry about but his claims are a big worry for FIFA.
Deals so far-Qatar-9 off
Talk of the Iberian bid dancing with Doha
Russia has Warner and Blatter by the short and curlies
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #7471
JimB

Likes (Received): 4789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Duh! The United Nations does NOT recognize Scotland, Wales & No, Ireland as separate, sovereign NATIONS!! Does the US, RUssia, China, Abu Dhabi, etc., have separate relations with Scotland, Wales & NI? Do they have separate embassies in the world capitals? They are divisions that exist only in the British mind -- and which they have brainwashed the rest of your Commonwealth lackeys to 'accept.'

Every other sport? Not in swimming; not in volleyball; not by the ISU...and I am sure many others.

They are an ARTIFICIAL creation only recognized in the unreal world of SOME sports.
Duh!

This isn't politics. The United Nations isn't the governing body of world football. Or did you not know that?
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #7472
JimB

Quote:

By common definition, you are a SOVEREIGN nation if the family of nations recognizes you as such and have emissaries to conduct relations. I never heard of a Welsh or Scottish ambassador to the US nor vice-versa. nations send ambassadors, and here is another silly British affectation...to the "Court of St. James." It just proves this silly British notion of little separate duchies.
Artificial?

Thousands of years of history is artificial?

Ah...I get it now. You're one of those red neck yanks for whom a passport is merely something that gets you to Tijuana and back and whose entire education on world affairs consisted of watching a few movies.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #7473
JimB

Quote:
Well, I don't accept that either. It's just something named by the baseball marketers.

But tell me, when are Wales, Scotland and No, Ireland sending their ambassadors to Washington, DC -- as well as their Permanent Representatives to the United Nations (as they are called in case you did NOT know)? We are just waiting to send ours.
Duh!

You still haven't worked out that the United Nations and FIFA aren't interchangeable?
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #7474
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Duh!

You still haven't worked out that the United Nations and FIFA aren't interchangeable?
No kidding? Sure fooled me.

And you were saying who was uneducated?

You can't be both, bozo.
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #7475
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Now this is the problem the British have on forums like this.

The Brits are a selfless, well educated nation with a wide historical mind set that take pity and self criticism on the chin. Others like Gondolier tend to be ignorant and despite rationale and quite thought out "educated" responses by well informed sensible Brits with knowledge on the area which clearly outstrips anyone else but a historian on a subject quite clearly a major talking point within the lives of British citizens. They still refuse and argue to gain what? ... an aura of stupidity?

I would like to take this moment now to offer Gondolier a chance to come and watch a Rugby 6 nations match with me in temple temple bar Dublin before the Irish and Scottish match in which you will witness a Barbarian like atmosphere directed in angst to all things ENGLISH.

I would also like you to take this time to offer you a chance to come over and watch Wales V England in Cardiff for the European Championship Qualifiers. Maybe then you could witness the reasons behind thier seperate entities in certain sports.
Ecological no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #7476
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Artificial?

Ah...I get it now. You're one of those red neck yanks for whom a passport is merely something that gets you to Tijuana and back and whose entire education on world affairs consisted of watching a few movies.
It takes one to know one, dubya.

You want short, smart soundbytes...which I guess is the extent of your comprehension? I'll give them to you.

Last edited by Gondolier; October 18th, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #7477
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
Now this is the problem the British have on forums like this.

The Brits are a selfless, well educated nation with a wide historical mind set that take pity and self criticism on the chin. Others like Gondolier tend to be ignorant and despite rationale and quite thought out "educated" responses by well informed sensible Brits with knowledge on the area which clearly outstrips anyone else but a historian on a subject quite clearly a major talking point within the lives of British citizens. They still refuse and argue to gain what? ... an aura of stupidity?

I would like to take this moment now to offer Gondolier a chance to come and watch a Rugby 6 nations match with me in temple temple bar Dublin before the Irish and Scottish match in which you will witness a Barbarian like atmosphere directed in angst to all things ENGLISH.

I would also like you to take this time to offer you a chance to come over and watch Wales V England in Cardiff for the European Championship Qualifiers. Maybe then you could witness the reasons behind thier seperate entities in certain sports.
Uhmmm...let me just rewatch my copy of BRAVEHEART.
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #7478
Ecological
BANNED

Quote:
Uhmmm...there are Highland Games near me...and I really don't have the time nor inclination to attend.

Not my cuppa tea. But go and play your games. Just don't forget your passports.
Now a serious question? What age did you drop out of school?
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #7479
Ecological
BANNED

Quote:
Uhmmm...let me just rewatch my copy of BRAVEHEART.
Or maybe you could do yourself a favour. Shut your trap or do some research and come back in time with an "apology" admitting you're an ignorant tit!
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #7480
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
Or maybe you could do yourself a favour. Shut your trap or do some research and come back in time with an "apology" admitting you're an ignorant tit!
Suck on it, jackass!!

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup