daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 18th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #7521
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Guilty of meeting an ExCo member FFS
exactly - as an Australian I would be pissed if our federation were not meeting with EVERY exco delegate to get their vote

if they agree to bribery, that is a different issue, but they should be meeting with anyone who has a vote on Dec 2

Any further update on whether or not FIFA will delay the vote?
T74 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #7522
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Seriously though, who does everyone think the two countries are?
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #7523
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Yes, of course he is.

No one could genuinely be so obtuse, surely?

Nevertheless, it's a slow work day. So it's been fun toying with him.
So smug one can almost see the slime oozing of your ears, JimB.

Last edited by Gondolier; October 19th, 2010 at 12:03 AM.
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #7524
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
The UK government itself has the official line that the UK is four countries with a common government.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...gov.uk/Page823

If anyone believes they are better informed than the UK government on the subject, then perhaps they ought to take the issue up with them.
Yes, and Iran declares itself an "Islamic republic." Just because a gov't declares itself whatever....doesn't mean the outside world has to toe that B/S line.
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #7525
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Anyone involved is more than capable I'd guess but Russia and Dpha seem the most likely to me.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #7526
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
we are not getting as detailed reports on this here compared to the EU, but the last I read the newspaper was posing as US business interests supporting the US bid, and the Nigerian and Tahitian exco members basically indicated they were up for a little "financial support".

has the story progressed since here (i.e. have bidders now been implicated)?
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #7527
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
Any further update on whether or not FIFA will delay the vote?
Blazer doesn't think it will need to be delayed.

To your point above, yes, here is the link

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...ry-allegations
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #7528
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
Anyone involved is more than capable I'd guess but Russia and Dpha seem the most likely to me.
Yeah almost 100% certain it is Russia and Doha. Everyone is certain one of the countries is Doha i.e 100% certain of that half, obviously being the only country really out of all the bids which is an absolute utter joke. The Russians as well more than likely saw what Doha were doing and said you know what lets join the corruption party. I say Doha should be eliminated out of the running ASAP, as I have stated many times, this bid has opened up the corruption scandal within FIFA thanks to their absolutely rubbish bid which has no chance other than via bribes, FIFA's stupidity in letting a ridiculous bid to enter the bidding process has cost them dearly and anyone seen to vote for Qatar (other than bin hammam) will have their finances checked a million times over and more than likely will cost them their spot on the FIFA executive committee. Qatar should be eliminated ASAP, I know it, you know it, everyone on Skyscrapercity other than the Qataris will admit it, the joke has run long enough, it's time for action. Doha adios => EXIT stage left
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #7529
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

There would be a risk to have 22 voters instead of 24 because the two FIFA ex-co members could be suspended.

Furthermore one european country and one asian country could be involved in this scandal.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/w...r-investigated
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #7530
Tallsmurf

Likes (Received): 18

The country's name is Qatar not Doha - but otherwise you are spot on. Qatar have more money than they can shake a stick at and corruption is endemic there (no bribes of course - that is illegal - but plenty oif introduction fees, consultancy arrangements, commissions, gifts).

Their bid fails on almost every criteria and the only way they can win is through the back door. Every FIFA representative that votes for Qatar (with the exception of the arab representative who will have had a gift anyway) should be immediately suspended and subject to extensive investigation and audit before his vote will be allowed to stand.

And yes - Russia is the likely second suspect - not as rich but with a much more realistic bid - maybe looking for those last few bids that could swing it their way rather than an outright shopping trip.
Tallsmurf no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #7531
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallsmurf View Post
The country's name is Qatar not Doha - but otherwise you are spot on.
I think thats tounge-in-cheek to mock the fact that nearly all of Qatar's stadiums are in the Doha metro.
mattec no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #7532
Tallsmurf

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
I think thats tounge-in-cheek to mock the fact that nearly all of Qatar's stadiums are in the Doha metro.
Tallsmurf no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #7533
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Oceania has publically backed the Australian bid, so going any other way would definately be selling out. He should be fired if its found to be true, same as the Nigerian.

Why is it that Nigeria always comes up in these things? It must be sad to see for the population there, as theres always negativity about the country portrayed.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #7534
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
It doesn't matter at all for everyone outside Britain and for the topic. USA has dozens of states on its own, Russia is a federation with more than 80 subject that includes 21 republic and 5 other autonomous subjects with 30 official languages.
Righteo ...

well in that case. I nominate FIFA to recognise Worcestershire V Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire V Cumbria as international derbies.
Ecological no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #7535
MysteryMike
BANNED

FIFA has threatened to throw out candidates from the race to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cup finals after widening its investigation into allegations of corruption made by the Sunday Times newspaper. FIFA’s ethics committee, chaired by former Swiss international Claudio Sulser, meets tomorrow to discuss allegations made against FIFA Executive members Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii. They face suspension and may be banned from the FIFA vote on Dec. 2.

Following a day of crisis meetings at Zurich’s FIFA headquarters yesterday, the ethics committee was last night told to look into allegations previously made about vote collusion. FIFA rules preclude vote trading between candidates for the 2018 and 2022 bid races.

“FIFA also confirms that the alleged agreements between member associations would also be a clear violation of the Bid Registration document and the Code of Ethics,” FIFA said in a statement last night. “Therefore, an investigation has also been opened into the member associations in question as well as their bid committees.

“FIFA has again asked the chairman of the Ethics Committee to act without delay to take all possible steps, including the possibility of provisional measures, should the relevant conditions be met.” The euphemistic “provisional measures” is understood to mean a provisional suspension pending a full investigation, after which a formal ban would follow.

But any temporary suspension would surely destroy any hopes a candidate has and throw the bid race into chaos. Although FIFA has been clear throughout that it will not tolerate vote trading between the 2018 and 2022 candidates, Qatar’s FIFA Ex-co member Mohamed Bin Hammam suggested earlier this month that the reality was somewhat different.

However, there is no suggestion that Bin Hammam is under investigation or that he has encouraged vote-trading.

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33819
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #7536
T74

reality is any of the bids could be involved in varying levels of this, and any of the exco members could be proven to be involved

where this gets interesting is not in who is guilty, but who will pay

which exco delegates survive? which bids get booted? will any mud stick to Blatter?

depending upon who falls, the result of this whole bidding process could be thrown up in the air.

money is still on the Russia/USA double, but I have to admit I've got no idea how this will end now
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #7537
MoreOrLess

I wouldnt be supprized if FIFA went after the english bid for "revenge" but I spose highlighting any deal we've made with the US would also mean exposing Blatters buddy Warner and damaging CONCACAF in general.
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #7538
MysteryMike
BANNED

They could just scrap the vote if need be and just base it on the technical reports for the bids. I don't think Mayne Nicholls or the technical committee has taken any money.
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #7539
MoreOrLess

I think we all know FIFA has been rotten to the core for years, its gotten to the stage where the entire organisation would need to be dismantled and something new setup in its place to cut it out.

Anyone who gets caught was likely just less careful or not as well connected as the rest.
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #7540
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
I wouldnt be supprized if FIFA went after the english bid for "revenge" but I spose highlighting any deal we've made with the US would also mean exposing Blatters buddy Warner and damaging CONCACAF in general.
this is where is gets muddy though

rumour has it USA and England do a deal
rumour has it Australia did a similar deal with EU based contender/s
rumours of Qatar having 9 votes in the bag

and lets not forget the deals Blatter is doing to keep his job, and those who want it to get it

reckon there will be as many deals being done to decides who "pays" for this as there has been to date to win the bids

Last edited by T74; October 19th, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
T74 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup