daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #7661
Mr Trebus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
Ohhh, guys. We are a modest country which have a national team of middle-class. As you was mentioned we're want to host WC because this is only chance to see Russian team in the main tournament.

After Soviet collapse jokes about Russian football became an essential attribute of the numerous humorous TV and show programs. If a comedian never joking about Russian football, then he is a bad comedian.

However, when such "soap bubble" as the English team with a great conceit not able to beat such a football "superpowers" as Algeria or Trinidad, it really became funny. It's always funny to look at a persons with a big ego, when they are falls from the imaginary sky to the earth.
why of course..russians are world reknowned for their humble attitude
Mr Trebus no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #7662
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Quote:
Ok, let to think:

1) In 2013 Moscow stadium Luzhniki will be host World Championships in Athletics. This competition will be held within 9 days. There will be among 2100 athletes, and black-skin athletes (Afro-American sprinters, African stayers) will be played leading roles (like Asians or Latin Americans in some disciplines).
2) In 2013 Kazan will be host Summer Universiade. This competition will be held within 11 days. There will be among 10.000 participants, and black-skin students also will be played same roles.
3) In 2014 Sochi will be host Winter Olympic Games. This competition will be held within 17 days. There will be among 2600 participants. Of course, there are not so many black-skin athletes who played leading roles in the winter kinds of sport, but there will be not small numbers of participants from the African states.
4) There will be among 900 football players in the WC2018.

Therefore, for Brits one stupid banner is a main argument in the anti-PR company against WC2018 in Russia. But it only shows the weakness of British argumentation.
It would have gone away very quickly as an argument had the Russian FA reacted correctly. As it was, they all but condoned it, and the story became much bigger than it should have been. This isn't a British argument by the way, the Nigerian FA weren't happy about how this was dealt with either, so you can stop shifting the blame.

All of the above are great, but one incident is one too many; and one incident dealt with poorly is even worse.

Well, I would say this - I've been working here for 18 years, and in 1975 no one died. In 1976, no one died. In 1977, no one died. In 1978, no one died. In 1979, no-one died. In 1980... someone died. In 1981, no one died. In 1982 there was the incident with the pigeon. In 1983, no one died. In 1984, no one died. In 1985, no one died. In 1986... I mean, I could go on.

RobH no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #7663
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2869

Instead of bashing Russian bid, can someone explain what are the benefits of british bid?
void0 no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #7664
RobH

I don't think a discussion is bashing the Russian bid - which is excellent in many respects - but I can certainly tell you some points about the England (not British) bid:

1. A compact country with good rail links between stadiums, good for fans in this sense
2. World reknowned Premier League stadiums such as Old Trafford, the Emirates, St James' Park etc etc. Unless the Olympic Stadium is included none of these stadiums will have running tracks and all will be purpouse built for the sport.
3. A very safe option, most stadiums already in place, certain of sell-out stadiums, a mature but steadily growing footballing market which sponsors will love
4. Extremely good stadium security - a model other countries are looking to when dealing with their own domestic issues within stadium management
5. Very good offering to all teams. They are all being offered either a Premier League or Championship training base at which to train. Individual tie-ups with clubs will help foster a sense of belonging and it'd be nice to see a place take a team to their hearts as Middlesbrough did with North Korea back in 1966.
6. Know-how when it comes to big events - London 2012 is going extremely well and FIFA will see this.
7. Giving a world cup to the country which has provided one of the greatest contingenets of travelling fans.
8. Government support at all levels, all guaruntees signed and sealed over a year ago, one of the first bids to do so

I'm sure I could think of some more, but there are some.

Last edited by RobH; October 20th, 2010 at 02:12 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #7665
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7061

Of course, there are not so many black-skin people who live in Russia (Russia never conquered or looted African colonies). However, few athletes plays leading roles in Russian national teams.

Emiliya Turey is a Russian team handball player, playing for the Russian national team since 2003. She was born in Astrakhan. Her mother is Russian, while her father is of Sierra Leonean descent. She is three times World Champion, from 2005, 2007 and 2009. She won a silver medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics, silver (2006) and bronze (2008) medals at the European Championships. She is also two-times World (2001, 2003) and European (2002) champion among young national teams.

Nkeirouka Ezekh is a curler for Russia of Nigerian-Russian descent. She was born in 1983, Moscow. She plays for Russian team since 2000, took part at three Winter Olympic Tournament. She was part of Ludmila Privivkova's team, which won the 2006 European Curling Championships.

Jon Robert "J.R." Holden is an American-born, naturalized Russian professional basketball player. He plays for BC CSKA Moscow since 2002 till now. He was named the 2003 Russian Superleague A Player of the Year and won the Euroleague 2005–06 and the Euroleague 2007–08 season championships with CSKA. Holden's biggest achievement came in the 2007 FIBA European Championship (EuroBasket) final game in Madrid against Spain (World Champions 2006), where he scored the winning shot that gave Russia the championship. He scored the final winning basket with 2 seconds left in the game. He was also named to the Russian squad for the 2008 Beijing Olympics Basketball Tournament.

Nikael Bikua-Mfantse is a rower of Russian national team. He won European Rowing Championship in discipline Quadruple Sculls.
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #7666
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Original home of football
Largest global legacy program
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #7667
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

New FIFA rankings are out for this month. Here is a breakdown of the 2022 candidates

21-Australia
25-USA
30-Japan
40-South Korea
109-Qatar

Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #7668
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Trebus View Post
why of course..russians are world reknowned for their humble attitude
I mean, of course, in football terms. The Brazilians got the World Cup 2014 to win it. Englishmen want to got WC2018 for win it.

However, the majority of Russian fans (and players) have next plans for WC tournament - "We must to pass group tournament. If we're will win 1/8 match and will be in quarterfinals, it will be very well. If we will be in semifinals (it was happened only once - in England during WC1966), that it will be greatest achievement of all Russian sport".

Feel the difference.
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #7669
RobH

England expects to win every world cup and rarely does, lol! Nah, just kidding, most are realistic about our chances in reality.

South Afrcia would have been happy to get out of their group, by contrast. Hosts' ambitions depend on history of course. Russia is one of the few decent footballing countries capable of hosting a world cup that hasn't. Holland and Portugal are the two others in Europe which spring to mind. So in that sense this is an interesting race because all three are going for it.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #7670
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
New FIFA rankings are out for this month. Here is a breakdown of the 2022 candidates

21-Australia
25-USA
30-Japan
40-South Korea
109-Qatar

Lowest Qatar has ever been.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #7671
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post

21-Australia
25-USA
30-Japan
40-South Korea
109-Qatar

Woohoo Go Aussie
crazyalex no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #7672
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I don't think a discussion is bashing the Russian bid - which is excellent in many respects - but I can certainly tell you some points about the England (not British) bid:
Oh, yes! I remember how I got British visa two years ago. I (like my parents) was forced to write my biography and translate all it into English (with all documents). Few years ago British goverment due to political reasons revoked visas of Russian students, who paid big money for studing in Britain. I'm very doubt that British goverment want to change this humiliating procedure in near future. I'm afraid to think that England and USA got next World Cups. It will be real catastrophe for Russian fans!
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #7673
RobH

If you say so.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #7674
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

I'm not so sure that the English (British, who gives a ****?) gubberment would do that.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #7675
TheoG

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Oh, yes! I remember how I got British visa two years ago. I (like my parents) was forced to write my biography and translate all it into English (with all documents). Few years ago British goverment due to political reasons revoked visas of Russian students, who paid big money for studing in Britain. I'm very doubt that British goverment want to change this humiliating procedure in near future. I'm afraid to think that England and USA got next World Cups. It will be real catastrophe for Russian fans!
More likely a problem on the Russian side of things, more closely linked to Russia's visa regulations, not ours, if you know what I mean.
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #7676
CCCPraven
Engineering Physicist

Likes (Received): 16604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoG View Post
More likely a problem on the Russian side of things, more closely linked to Russia's visa regulations, not ours, if you know what I mean.
Journey Through Paperwork Greets Russians Hoping for a European Getaway

MOSCOW — The winter holidays have only just ended here, but many Russians are already planning their next European getaway, buying plane tickets and reserving hotels.

They are also compiling bank statements, gathering insurance forms, paying fees, taking photographs, making photocopies, waiting in long lines and being interrogated by embassy officials — all to receive a European visa, a kind of permission slip to enter the rest of the Continent that like little else underscores the walls still dividing Russia from the West.

While Estonians and Bulgarians, Latvians and Poles can traipse about Europe unimpeded by the borders and bureaucracy that once bound them to Moscow, Russians must seek permission. To obtain a visa is frustrating and at times degrading, travelers here say, leaving many wondering why Russians seem so unwelcome.

A visa to enter the European Union can cost as little as $50, but it is not the money that tends to bother many Russians. It is the suggestion that perhaps Russians could be up to no good. Travelers must provide bank statements showing they can afford the vacation. They must show proof of employment and hotel reservations and plane tickets purchased beforehand, the implication being that every applicant is a possible illegal immigrant.

But after asking for extensive amounts of paperwork, the Europeans end up rejecting very few applicants.

Europeans (as well as Americans) have to obtain visas to enter Russia, but the process for getting a basic tourist visa often is much simpler. An interview, for example, is not required.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/11/wo...e/11visas.html
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #7677
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1921

Quote:
Ooops... Firstly you say that this is connected with English bid and Sorokin broken ethical principles. Now you say that it's not connected with it.
No. I'm pointing out that he's muck-raking. He deliberately slating another bidding country.

If the Russian press had said this then it's not really news. When a spokesman of a bid says such things, they take a more official air.

Saying "I don't stoop to insults" and then suggesting a load of insults you could have made, is pretty much exactly the same as just saying them anyway.

The criticisms in the press here have at least in some way related to the ability of Russia to host.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #7678
Russia__WC__2018
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Russians talking about propaganda. Lol.
You're such a provocator.

Many people in UK know very well that British media is a biggest propaganda machine. But you are isolated in your own illusions.

It calls "superiority complex".
Russia__WC__2018 no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #7679
Russia__WC__2018
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Such provocations and media attacks just show that Russia's bid is very strong.

We need to continue to not to fall on these provocations, and do what we did - slowly calmly prove that Russia is a best choice for FIFA.
Russia__WC__2018 no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #7680
TheoG

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russia__WC__2018 View Post
You're such a provocator.

Many people in UK know very well that British media is a biggest propaganda machine. But you are isolated in your own illusions.

It calls "superiority complex".
Nobody in the UK agrees with you. Full. Stop. In fact, quite the opposite, the UK media always seems keen to play down our own country, rather than present it as the glorious motherland.

Russians accusing other countries of having propaganda in media. Kind of like Dawn French running a weight loss class.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup