daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 21st, 2010, 03:32 PM   #7761
RobH

Likes (Received): 10325

The technical committee have not made a report have they? They made very brief comments after each visit but nothing detailed has come from them yet.
RobH no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2010, 03:50 PM   #7762
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Consider that Jordaan's WC experience starts in 1994 when he first put forward the WC in South Africa idea, while in USA.

That's observing 5 WC's including running one of them.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:03 PM   #7763
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
Come on Russians. You guys cant honestly be this stupid. You have all this money from oil. Why dont you stop investing in football and re-invest in education. This is beyond pointless now. Not only that ... all you lot need to read up on what the word *contradict* means.
I'm support Russian bid for WC2018 because it can help to improve general infrastructure (transport, hotel, etc.) in the hosting cities, not only football infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobot View Post
I also love it how uneducated russians debate with educated brits in their own language.
Good point!
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:07 PM   #7764
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Consider that Jordaan's WC experience starts in 1994 when he first put forward the WC in South Africa idea, while in USA.

That's observing 5 WC's including running one of them.
Well, he'd be a good man to have on board then

(as long as he votes for England, otherwise he's foreign swine!)
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:38 PM   #7765
Purmerend80

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
FIFA technical committee member Danny Jordaan and New Zealand’s Fred de Jong are being touted as replacements for Adamu and Temarii respectively.

Great! Both have a Dutch last name so it'll be fine!
Purmerend80 no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:41 PM   #7766
RobH

Not much has been said about your bid, it's been very quietly going about its business. Is it possible that we've got it all wrong by continuingly talking about this as an England vs Russia race?
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:17 PM   #7767
Purmerend80

Well, if we look purely at the bids, we have no chance. Not enough good stadiums and not much money for the stadiums.. (

But the voting for the World Cup is also about other things.

(And yes, we have prostitutes and drugs)
Purmerend80 no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:37 PM   #7768
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
It is quite clear to me that this is not the case. As long as Russians here insist the banner was not racist and continue to rant about propaganda in insultng terms they deserve zero respect from me, and I include you in that as well coth.

The truth here is russia_wc_2018 has already been banned in his former guise as AILD and yet you defend him for posting the same rubbish he got banned for. Not good enough for a mod I'm afraid.
Since when Russians are divided into two races? It was the banner for Russian. Then again, banana is a popular attribute of British football. And he was leaving Russia for British team.

Then again. Behavior of most forumers he is replying to does not differ anyhow.
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:14 PM   #7769
RobH

I don't understand a word of that post, I didn't say Russians were divided into two races and I don't get what you mean when you say a banana is a popular attribute of British football. Gobbledigook I'm afraid.

I know Mo Rush is dealing with russia_wc_2018 anyway, so thanks for your bizarre response coth, but hopefully things will calm down a bit once his second account is removed.

Last edited by RobH; October 21st, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:40 PM   #7770
Russia__WC__2018
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I know Mo Rush is dealing with russia_wc_2018 anyway, so thanks for your bizarre response coth, but hopefully things will calm down a bit once his second account his removed.
Things will calm down when British press will stop exaggorate, cut the context and attack other bid. And when superiority complex will not make the eyes blind. If Russia's bid wasn't attacked by biased articles, i would only post the construction updates.
Russia__WC__2018 no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:45 PM   #7771
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1924

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus View Post
Despite the obvious advantages of two (English lang and English moderation) in this debate was won by Russian forum users!
It's hard to see how.

They tried to claim there was nothing wrong with a guy from their bid making accusations, even though it was shown that FIFA bans such outbursts.

They tried to claim there was nothing really wrong with a racist banner, to which no further comment should be necessary.

They tried to claim that because bias exists in both the UK and Russian press, there’s effectively no difference, despite failing to even try to appreciate the difference in scale and nature of that bias.

Other than that, they were spot on.

But it's true, the British media does lie. I remember clearly being encouraged to try a fruit drink called Um Bongo because apparently they drink it in the Congo. I went there and you couldn't find it anywhere. Lies, all lies.

And what's worse, failing to buy an Um Bongo, I opted for an orange Kia-Ora instead, but I tripped coming out of the shop, spilling it on the street. Now, I recall being "reliably" informed that it's too orangey for crows by British TV many times, so imagine my surprise when I saw some crows lapping the spillage up happily.

If only the British public would wake up to these lies.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:12 PM   #7772
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russia__WC__2018 View Post
Things will calm down when British press will stop exaggorate, cut the context and attack other bid. And when superiority complex will not make the eyes blind. If Russia's bid wasn't attacked by biased articles, i would only post the construction updates.

Please, just stop.
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:29 PM   #7773
Russia__WC__2018
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Suburb View Post

Did FIFA send his words to an ethics committee? After the actual fact, british press can play its card, but if it didn't happen - make a plesure, calm down and stop changing the sense.
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:34 PM   #7774
Russia__WC__2018
BANNED

Quote:
Russia Denies Criticizing England’s 2018 World Cup Bid

Apparently the leader of Russia’s 2018 World Cup bid has claimed that criticizing comments he made about rival England’s bid were lost in translation. Early reports had suggested that Alexei Sorokin had criticized high crime rates and bad drinking habits among young people in London. He also added that English football had a problem with racism.

However, a spokesperson for Russia’s 2018 World Cup Bid said that Mr Sorokin regrets if his statement has led to an erroneous misunderstanding due to a bad interpretation. His intentions were not to insult anyone.

Right now, England’s 2018 bid team is considering its position over the comments. Now they will figure out what to do next.

One source had first quoted Sorokin as saying that they do not enter into squabbles. He said that it is no secret, for example, that London has the highest crime rate when compared with other European cities. It also has the highest level of alcohol consumption among young people.

Sorokin’s spokesperson said that Sorokin was simply trying to show in which ways media in different countries covered the current 2018/2022 Fifa World Cup bid activities. He said that Russian media refrains from highlighting negative aspects in other countries, while some countries seem to focus on it.

He went on to say that, by way of illustration, he was trying to use a metaphor in the sense that such mutual highlights of negative aspects was comparable to bickering housewives in the communal wash house. They are raising a fuss over everything and speaking badly about each other. The context was lost in translation.
http://news.carrentals.co.uk/russia-...-34219163.html

It it was a video interview, I assure, no such accusations would exist, because the only "naked text" can't show full intentions and the sense of answer.
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:53 PM   #7775
RobH

Yes, his words were taken out of context to some extent but he really should have known better to be honest. "No comment" or "that's not for me to comment on" would have been wiser than bringing up alcoholism in the UK (I've read it in context and he didn't need to bring that up to answer the question he was asked actually). How exactly did he think people would react to him broaching that subject? Naivity is the word that springs to mind. Just because FIFA didn't send it to the ethics committee (a decision which would have been incredibly harsh) it doesn't mean he was wise to say what he said, or that it won't affect the bid he is leading.

And he followed that up by yet another insistence that the banner was innocent. You know perfectly well what I think of that. So yes, perhaps his words were overblown, but much of the damage he did himself, and this isn't the first time his words or inactions have harmed the image of the Russia 2018 bid.

A really silly situation.....again.

Last edited by RobH; October 21st, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:48 PM   #7776
TheoG

Likes (Received): 1

Can I just say, anything I have said previously on this thread was not meant as an insult to all Russians, or indeed to the Russian bid for 2018. Of course, I'd love England to win, but Russia's bid is wonderfully optimistic and I'm sure, if Russia did win, it would be a fantastic world cup, and the world cup would bring fantastic benefits to Russia. However, I do get angry at people who are so stupidly patriotic that they believe every single thing that they read in the papers, not necessarily only Russians, it would apply to someone from Scunthorpe who complains about 'bloody foreigners stealing our jobs', because 'that's what the Sun said, innit' just as much as someone saying 'western propaganda 911 was fault of British media long live glorious motherland etc.' However, often, on this thread anyway, many of these people seem to be Russian, and these are the people who annoy me. I'm sorry if it seemed that I was insulting Russia, as a country, or their bid, I apologise wholeheartedly. I was just trying to make a point that the Russian bid executives were getting the bid into trouble through responding badly to recent events, and some of the people I am referring to got me into a pointless debate through not answering questions properly and posting dribble that they seemed to cut and paste off the Pravda website.
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:52 PM   #7777
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoG View Post
Can I just say, anything I have said previously on this thread was not meant as an insult to all Russians, or indeed to the Russian bid for 2018. Of course, I'd love England to win, but Russia's bid is wonderfully optimistic and I'm sure, if Russia did win, it would be a fantastic world cup, and the world cup would bring fantastic benefits to Russia. However, I do get angry at people who are so stupidly patriotic that they believe every single thing that they read in the papers, not necessarily only Russians, it would apply to someone from Scunthorpe who complains about 'bloody foreigners stealing our jobs', because 'that's what the Sun said, innit' just as much as someone saying 'western propaganda 911 was fault of British media long live glorious motherland etc.' However, often, on this thread anyway, many of these people seem to be Russian, and these are the people who annoy me. I'm sorry if it seemed that I was insulting Russia, as a country, or their bid, I apologise wholeheartedly. I was just trying to make a point that the Russian bid executives were getting the bid into trouble through responding badly to recent events, and some of the people I am referring to got me into a pointless debate through not answering questions properly and posting dribble that they seemed to cut and paste off the Pravda website.
You mean the s*n or the sin, it's a disgrace that bloody paper
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:33 AM   #7778
CiudadanoDelMundo
Ahí vamos pa´lante

Likes (Received): 3

Same old story, english media talking shit about their opponents...
Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:35 AM   #7779
kidrobot

Likes (Received): 8663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
It's hard to see how.

But it's true, the British media does lie. I remember clearly being encouraged to try a fruit drink called Um Bongo because apparently they drink it in the Congo. I went there and you couldn't find it anywhere. Lies, all lies.

And what's worse, failing to buy an Um Bongo, I opted for an orange Kia-Ora instead, but I tripped coming out of the shop, spilling it on the street. Now, I recall being "reliably" informed that it's too orangey for crows by British TV many times, so imagine my surprise when I saw some crows lapping the spillage up happily.

If only the British public would wake up to these lies.
I appreciate your british humour. I'm a great fan of it. May I also, humbly remind you of other things which are not as funny.
British press wrote there were WMD in Iraq. British press wrote Hitler is a great leader of his nation. British press wrote that BP oil spill is "just a minor accident" until the coast went black from oil. British press wrote many other things which were completely not true.
Anyway, I'm tired of this discussion. Go on to believe what you want. Btw my father had to sell his bear to get me internet connection so I would spread this putin propaganda in the name of the motherland.
kidrobot no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:19 AM   #7780
Mr Trebus
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobot View Post
I appreciate your british humour. I'm a great fan of it. May I also, humbly remind you of other things which are not as funny.
British press wrote there were WMD in Iraq. British press wrote Hitler is a great leader of his nation. British press wrote that BP oil spill is "just a minor accident" until the coast went black from oil. British press wrote many other things which were completely not true.
Anyway, I'm tired of this discussion. Go on to believe what you want. Btw my father had to sell his bear to get me internet connection so I would spread this putin propaganda in the name of the motherland.
You lost the cold war comrade..communism is over..welcome to 2010.I think if you had a straw poll of nations across the earth as to which of the UK and Russia has a better human rights record,is more racially tolerant and democratic and a beacon for freedom and truth..mother russia fails on all fronts.I bet you think stalin was a good bloke dont you..fool.
Mr Trebus no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup