daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #761
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,016
Likes (Received): 4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo
There are 4 continents playing soccer. Shouldn't come back to Europe for 16 years. Just using the Olympic logic used on this very board. South America should be 2014. North America or Asia should be 2018.
The rotation policy has been canned. It only ensured that South Africa got 2010 and Brazil (probably) got 2014.

Would have been silly, otherwise. Would have favoured countries like the USA, who are one of only three CONCACAF countries that could ever hope to stage the World cup. By contrast, anything up to ten UEFA countries could eventually hope to host the World Cup.

FIFA will come back to Europe more often than other continents because:

1. European teams make up almost 50% of the participants in the World Cup.

2. Europe is FIFA's most lucrative TV market (though Asia is coming up on the rails).

3. Europe has many countries that can host a World Cup.
JimB no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #762
Giorgio
Registered User
 
Giorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,677
Likes (Received): 480

Australia.
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #763
Canadian Chocho
Registered User
 
Canadian Chocho's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Managua/Toronto
Posts: 3,470
Likes (Received): 28

Well compared to Brazil and England this seems kind of off but I would like to see it go to Canada, in my life time at least, it could be a huge success cause there are tons of soccer fans here.
__________________
Colonial Cities

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #764
mikeyraw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: perth
Posts: 200
Likes (Received): 0

2014 Australia
2018 England
2022 Brazil
2026 China
mikeyraw no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #765
CharlieP
Tax avoider
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,752
Likes (Received): 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB
The rotation policy has been canned. It only ensured that South Africa got 2010 and Brazil (probably) got 2014.

Would have been silly, otherwise. Would have favoured countries like the USA, who are one of only three CONCACAF countries that could ever hope to stage the World cup. By contrast, anything up to ten UEFA countries could eventually hope to host the World Cup.
I totally agree. Now that Australia have defected to OFC, a strict policy of rotation would mean New Zealand hosting the World Cup every 24 years, while England, France, Italy etc. would have to take turns about every 120 years...
__________________
This signature is socialist and un-American.
CharlieP no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #766
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Occupied Europe
Posts: 23,654

What about Tonga or American Samoa. They're part of the OFC as well. A joint bid by Micronesia, Nauru and Tonga would make sense.

Brazil however has done nothing to deserve the 2014 world cup. At least I haven't heard anything about stadium projects. England's pretty much a shoo-in for 2018.
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #767
CharlieP
Tax avoider
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,752
Likes (Received): 1973

You'll probably note how my scheme in post #7 employs a modified form of rotation, with UEFA hosting every third World Cup. However, I forgot that Australia are now in AFC, and AFC (Korea/Japan 2002) hosted more recently than CONCACAF (USA 1994), so I'd like to change my proposal

2014 CONMEBOL - Brazil
2018 UEFA - England
2022 CONCACAF - USA
2026 AFC - Australia
2030 UEFA - Spain
2034 CAF - North African combined hosts
2038 CONMEBOL - Argentina
2042 UEFA - Russia

Oh sod it, there aren't enough suitable African countries to make my pseudo-rotation work, so let's just go back to the old "same federation can't host twice in a row" rule:

2014 Brazil
2018 England
2022 Australia
2026 Spain
2030 China
2034 USA
2038 Russia
2042 Argentina
2046 Italy
2050 Mexico
__________________
This signature is socialist and un-American.
CharlieP no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #768
builder1010
Singapore Builder
 
builder1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 208
Likes (Received): 0

2010 should move to sydney. i think south africa is not ready yet.
2014 brazil or argentina. 2012 olympic in london so there is an even spread of "wealth"
2018 Europe (would love to see england/scotland/ireland host)
2022 Caribean Countries (joint hosts for the central americans, probably with help from USA)
2026 Africa. (shld be given a chance now)
2030 South east Asia (hope that singapore would host the finals and other ASEAN cities the group matches, quarter and semi)
__________________
Singapore builder1010-Uniquely Singapore-SENTOSA Singapore's island Resort-http://www.visitsingapore.com
Optimising Singapore's Land Resource-http://www.sla.gov.sg
-[email protected], http://www.map.gov.sg/
builder1010 no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #769
[email protected]
Global Citizen
 
R@ptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 4,295
Likes (Received): 6365

Hopefully not another one in Europe...there have been way too many here.

The 2014 WC will almost certainly be in South America. My guess is either Brazil or a joint bid from Argentina/Chile.

In 2018 it is Asia's turn again. So either China or Australia.

Europe can host it again in 2022.
R@ptor no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #770
SimLim
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Again, Europe contributes 50% of all teams in the World Cup, to be given it in such huge gaps would be bad for the game.

Asia has only two capable countries of hosting the event single handidly. China and Japan. If they hosted the WC 16 years apart they would either get it very soon afterwards or the fans of ASIA would have to wait an awful long time for the next rotation.

England deserves the World Cup due to its fan base. The numerous fans which travel has never been an issue, its always been the trouble they took with them. Now they've controlled that, there is just no way what so ever England will not be chosen to host the 2018 World Cup.
 
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #771
AndyKane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 46
Likes (Received): 0

2014 - Personally don't know. Even Sepp Blatter, FIFA President, says most of Brazil's stadia are sub-World Cup standard.
2018 - China
2022 - England (unfortunately!)
2026 - Canada or Mexico
2030 - Australia
2034 - Spain, Italy or Russia
2038 - Argentina
2042 - Egypt
AndyKane no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #772
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,016
Likes (Received): 4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder1010
2010 should move to sydney. i think south africa is not ready yet.
2014 brazil or argentina. 2012 olympic in london so there is an even spread of "wealth"
2018 Europe (would love to see england/scotland/ireland host)
2022 Caribean Countries (joint hosts for the central americans, probably with help from USA)
2026 Africa. (shld be given a chance now)
2030 South east Asia (hope that singapore would host the finals and other ASEAN cities the group matches, quarter and semi)
The problem with your suggestions is that nearly all of them involve multiple hosts - in some cases three, four or more countries.

That is simply never going to happen. FIFA don't like the idea of joint hosts, let alone three or more hosts.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #773
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro
 
Paulo2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lusitania
Posts: 4,658
Likes (Received): 57

2014 Brazil
2018 Portugal

Portugal should hold it in 2018. We've got state-of-the-art football stadiums, some of which will need to be upgraded by 2018. A new modern stadium with a capacity for 50.000 people for all kind of sports is needed in Lisbon, so that will be a new one to be added to the big 10.

Besides that, our infra-structure is quiclky becoming one of the best in Europe. The new TVG railway lines will have been completed by then, together with the new Lisbon Airport and Beja's new airport, probably for low-cost flights.

The organization of Euro2004 was an enormous success copied by german oficials for the world cup 2006, Portugal is a football nation and its ranking has been in the top 10- now even better. Besides this, Portugal is a tourist paradise, peaceful and always ready to welcome any visitor to our land.

This will only happen, if Lisbon doesn't qualify for the 2020 Olympics. Portugal's aim is to hold them too in the next two decades.
__________________
Murtosa em Fotos

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #774
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,016
Likes (Received): 4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKane
2014 - Personally don't know. Even Sepp Blatter, FIFA President, says most of Brazil's stadia are sub-World Cup standard.
2018 - China
2022 - England (unfortunately!)
2026 - Canada or Mexico
2030 - Australia
2034 - Spain, Italy or Russia
2038 - Argentina
2042 - Egypt
Aha!

A Scotsman?

JimB no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #775
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,016
Likes (Received): 4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo2004
2014 Brazil
2018 Portugal

Portugal should hold it in 2018. We've got state-of-the-art football stadiums, some of which will need to be upgraded by 2018. A new modern stadium with a capacity for 50.000 people for all kind of sports is needed in Lisbon, so that will be a new one to be added to the big 10.

Besides that, our infra-structure is quiclky becoming one of the best in Europe. The new TVG railway lines will have been completed by then, together with the new Lisbon Airport and Beja's new airport, probably for low-cost flights.

The organization of Euro2004 was an enormous success copied by german oficials for the world cup 2006, Portugal is a football nation and its ranking has been in the top 10- now even better. Besides this, Portugal is a tourist paradise, peaceful and always ready to welcome any visitor to our land.

This will only happen, if Lisbon doesn't qualify for the 2020 Olympics. Portugal's aim is to hold them too in the next two decades.
Sorry, mate. Not going to happen. At least, not any time soon.

Portugal doesn't have enough big stadiums. And there is no demand (other than for a World Cup) for the stadiums that you have to be any bigger. FIFA does not want to be the reason for countries to build white elephants.

The new stadiums in Portugal are beautiful (especially Dragao) but even Da Luz is on the small side for hosting the World Cup final.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #776
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Occupied Europe
Posts: 23,654

All I can say is that UEFA needs more spots in the world cup. Asia's # of teams has gone up to 4.5 while Europe's has dropped to 14 which means that we get to see beautiful Saudi-Arabian football while Ireland has to stay home.

Last edited by Kampflamm; July 7th, 2006 at 09:35 PM.
Kampflamm no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #777
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro
 
Paulo2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lusitania
Posts: 4,658
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB
Sorry, mate. Not going to happen. At least, not any time soon.

Portugal doesn't have enough big stadiums. And there is no demand (other than for a World Cup) for the stadiums that you have to be any bigger. FIFA does not want to be the reason for countries to build white elephants.

The new stadiums in Portugal are beautiful (especially Dragao) but even Da Luz is on the small side for hosting the World Cup final.
I know you're the expert of what will happen in 12 years from now.

Portugal doesn't have enough big stadiums??? Which part of my comment didn't you understand???!!!
__________________
Murtosa em Fotos

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #778
CharlieP
Tax avoider
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,752
Likes (Received): 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm
All I can say is that UEFA needs more sports in the world cup.
That's a brilliant idea. I propose replacing the second round of pool games with beach volleyball, and tag wrestling instead of penalty shootouts in the knockout stages...
__________________
This signature is socialist and un-American.
CharlieP no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #779
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,016
Likes (Received): 4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo2004
I know you're the expert of what will happen in 12 years from now.

Portugal doesn't have enough big stadiums??? Which part of my comment didn't you understand???!!!
1. Twelve years from now is not the issue. You need to be thinking more about six years from now - because that is when the decision for 2018 will be made.

2. I understood you perfectly. But it seems that you haven't understood me. Let me repeat: there is no demand in Portugal for the stadiums that you have to be made any bigger. All but three Portugese stadiums are too small and, currently, most Portugese stadiums are not even operating at 50% of capacity for domestic games. So why on earth is there a need to make the stadiums bigger, with the costs that would entail, just to meet FIFA World Cup criteria for a period of five weeks?

Sheer madness and waste.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #780
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Occupied Europe
Posts: 23,654

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP
That's a brilliant idea. I propose replacing the second round of pool games with beach volleyball, and tag wrestling instead of penalty shootouts in the knockout stages...
I thought the authorities had caught up with you.
Kampflamm no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu