daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 23rd, 2010, 01:14 PM   #7821
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
you think they may go for a half/half option? Have a newbie for one year and the experienced incumbent.

This would see either Russia/USA or England/Australia as the likely combos

have to laugh with one thing though, this whole FIFA implosion is throwing out any predictability now. Will they follow the tech report recommendations absolutely to "show" they are not corrupt? Will they allow OFC and CAF to replace their exco delegates? Will the bidders challenge only 22 voters? Will the vote occur on Dec 2? Will Sepp retain his power? Will Qatar and Spain/Portugal survive? Will the Qatar/Spain "seven" remain exco delegates? Will any other bids be dragged into the fray?

Interesting times

Reading the press today, sounds like the Nigerian delegate is in some serious trouble now, with investigations back home. The Tahitian is less so, but I get the vibe he may walk quietly.

Spain is mute (last I heard), Portugal is screaming they knew nothing, and Qatar has broken its silence to just say that everyone should be investigated (and not just them/Spain).

England and Russia seem to know its just them, and are going to war with each other!! The Dutch I have no idea whats happening there, maybe they are just having a good laugh at us all

USA is getting some interestingly mixed press. Lot of focus naturally on the FIFA corruption side of things, but a few raising concerns as to why the Times pretended to be US business interests, and if this may cause a bit of unintended blow back their way. Australia is on the see-saw. One minute convinced the changes may help us, the next the changes will kill us.
I must agree so many things are going on, it seems now that there are as many as 7 exco delegates under investigation...
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2010, 01:38 PM   #7822
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

I just heard news from a friend who works at the Age that Bin Hamman is under investigation...
Solopop no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2010, 01:48 PM   #7823
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
There is definitely something to be said for a first time host, you're right England and USA would be kind of boring. I mean, we see all these stadiums in England every single week. It would just be national teams playing in them instead of Premiership squads. Meh.
Fair enough; I think a huge amount of fans, especially in Asia where the Premier League is massive would have completely the opposite opinion to that. They'd love to see their teams playing in such stadiums I suspect. I think the appeal of playing in Premier League stadiums is just as great overall as the appeal of playing in a raft of brand new architectural wonders.

Spain and to a much smaller extent Holland have the same arguments in their favour. The Nou Camp and the Bernabau, the Amsterdam Arena etc. The Luzhniki is perhaps Russia's bit of history but it is otherwise relying on sex appeal of new stadiums, much the same as Qatar but framed within a much more realistic bid.

The US on the other hand, has less of both of these aspects not being known for its football and with most of its stadiums in place, but wins hands down when it comes to capacity and facilities.

It is worth remembering that England has come a hugely long way in the last 20 years in terms of stadium development. From incidents like Bradford and Hillsborough in the 80s to now, where the world (perhaps the US aside) sees our stadiums and stadium management as a blueprint.

Whilst it's easy to say that England has a safe bid and isn't offering FIFA as much as Russia, it's ironically because of the huge changes over the last 20 years that we receive this criticism. Many other countries in Europe, including Russia, are playing catch up. I think it does us a little disservice to forget that point. It's not like we're offering old stadiums and saying "there, they're full of history and we invented the sport". No, we're offering the culmination and continuation of one of the fastest and most successful stadium upgrade programmes anywhere in the world. The 2018 world cup would show just how far the country has come in this sense, and Blatter's words after he met the PM show he really does recognise this:

"England is the motherland of football. England has given so much to football, and England is going on to carry on giving much to football.

"Your predecessors were in a very difficult situation during the years from 1985 to 1989 and so on. I don't want to speak about what happened then, but the reaction you have made.

"You have given to the world security in the stadiums.

"This is a big legacy, an important legacy you have given to the world.

"You did it - it's a question of organisation and it is also a question of discipline and respect. You did it here - and now we say where are the hooligans? They are not in the stadiums and this is a compliment to your Government and your predecessors."

"Now England can organise the World Cup tomorrow, England can organise the World Cup - that's not a problem, but what you are doing is a World Cup for the world."

Quote:
This would see either Russia/USA or England/Australia as the likely combos
I'd be absolutely elated with one of those, and terribly depressed with the other. I'll let you figure out which is which

Quote:
Reading the press today, sounds like the Nigerian delegate is in some serious trouble now, with investigations back home.
Hardly surprising. The Nigerian FA were recently suspended (and I think still are) by FIFA becuase their government put Adamu and the rest of the FA on trial - a trial which was thrown out by the judge. This is about as big a boon to the Nigerian government as anything I should think; they'll think all their Christmasses have come at once. That's not to say that FIFA will like these new developments any more than the previous ones in Nigeria because government interference in FA business is a big no-no whatever the circumstances.

Last edited by RobH; October 23rd, 2010 at 01:57 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:10 PM   #7824
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
I must agree so many things are going on, it seems now that there are as many as 7 exco delegates under investigation...
The alleged 7 have not been confirmed, but are suspected to be:

Qatari Camp:
Mohamed BIN HAMMAM Qatar
Worawi MAKUDI Thailand
Hany ABO RIDA Egypt

Spanish Camp:
Ángel María VILLAR LLONA Spain
Julio H. GRONDONA Argentina
Ricardo Terra TEIXEIRA Brazil
Rafael SALGUERO Guatemala

Add to this, the "suspended" duo:
Amos ADAMU Nigeria
Reynald TEMARII Tahiti

Creates a really interesting situation. Reality is all 24 could still be voting, 22 could be, 22 plus 2 substitutes, 15!!, or 15 plus 9 substitutes!!!

To show the power of the remaining 15, its interesting when you group them:

Joseph S. BLATTER Switzerland

AFRICA
Issa HAYATOU Cameroon
Jacques ANOUMA Côte d'Ivoire

EAST ASIA
CHUNG Mong Joon Korea Republic
Junji OGURA Japan

NORTH/CENTRAL AMERICA
Jack A. WARNER Trinidad and Tobago
Chuck BLAZER USA

SOUTH AMERICA
Nicolás LEOZ Paraguay

EUROPE
Michel PLATINI France
Geoff THOMPSON England
Michel D'HOOGHE Belgium
Senes ERZIK Turkey
Marios LEFKARITIS Cyprus
Franz BECKENBAUER Germany
Vitaly MUTKO Russia
Jérôme VALCKE France

I highly doubt we would get to a stage with just 15 votes remaining, but it effectively hand the 2018 cup to the English (with US/EU support) and UEFA would decide who gets 2022.

Assuming 22/24 vote, it is still a game changer. the votes of confidential, but you can guarantee the exco delegates under review (if they survived) or replaced (if turfed) will have their vote - and their reason for it - examined by the world media like never before.

Looking at it selfishly from an Australian "2022" perspective, it all comes down to Hammam for us:

1) He is booted and his boys with him - our fate is in UEFA's hands

2) He survives but abstains in protest - congrats USA

3) He survives but throws support behind Australia - will be bloody close, we need CAF and UEFA supports (sans England of course) to win

4) He survives and manages to topple Blatter - long shot, and I don't think possible now, too much mud is going to hit IMO

For different reasons now, my money is still on the USA. If they have the English on side, and enough of UEFA split, our day is done.

That being said, as I originally posted, this is changing daily, so who knows what the landscape will be in 6 weeks!
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:02 PM   #7825
T74

BTW I have heard rumours here that the Sunday Times has a round 2 of revelations due to their next edition

any of our UK friends heard if this is right?
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM   #7826
RobH

No I hadn't heard that. This sounds like the Parliamentary expenses scandal all over again if that's true though; drip-feeding the revelations and drawing them out rather than bringing them out all in one go!

Any details on what the revelations might involve? Who did you hear these rumours from?

Last edited by RobH; October 23rd, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:54 PM   #7827
dacrio

Likes (Received): 0

2018 fifa world cup:

Vote For Russia: 9

Blatter
Hayatou
Texieira
Erzik
Makudi
Ogura
Mutko
Lefkaritis
Bin Hammam
Adamu

England: 5

Valcke
Platini
joon
thompson
Blazer

Spain and portugal: 6

Grondona
Villar
Warner
Temarii
Salguero
Leoz

Holland and Belgium: 4 ELIMINATED

D'hooge
Anouma
Beckenbauer
Abo Rida

with or without temarii and adamu the result is the same

Last edited by dacrio; October 23rd, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
dacrio no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:56 PM   #7828
RobH

Blatter doesn't get to vote unless it's a tie in the final round as I understand it.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:03 PM   #7829
dacrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Blatter doesn't get to vote unless it's a tie in the final round as I understand it.
correct
dacrio no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:22 PM   #7830
RobH

So, you've given us your predictions for Round 1 of the voting only and it's 8 (because Blatter dosn't vote),5,6,4.

You haven't given us the final result.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:28 PM   #7831
dacrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
So, you've given us your predictions for Round 1 of the voting only and it's 8 (because Blatter dosn't vote),5,6,4.

You haven't given us the final result.
I know, next week.
I need to speak with Sepp
dacrio no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:31 PM   #7832
RobH

okay then
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:13 PM   #7833
Fobos2030

Likes (Received): 3189

del
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:20 PM   #7834
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrio View Post
2018 fifa world cup:

Vote For Russia: 9

Texieira
Teixeira (who the hell is "Texieira"?) voting for Russia instead of Spain and Portugal? Right...
Aka no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #7835
Trelawny
BANNED

I feel an upset will happen. People think it will be England and Australia hosting. But I don't think Fifa will let that happen.
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #7836
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
I feel an upset will happen. People think it will be England and Australia hosting. But I don't think Fifa will let that happen.
England and Australia are the favourite.

I think will be Russia and Australia at the end.
Mr.Underground no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #7837
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Underground View Post
England and Australia are the favourite.

I think will be Russia and Australia at the end.
last betting I saw USA were still ahead of Australia, but that was a couple of months ago
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #7838
JimB

Likes (Received): 4782

What happened to my posts?

Have they been deleted? If so, why?

Mo?
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #7839
T74

Anyone know more about this Zen-Ruffinen, and which bid/s he could be working for?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...10k-fixer.html

World Cup 2018: former Fifa official Michel Zen-Ruffinen offers himself as a '£210k’ fixer

TheBy Richard Bright
Published: 11:36PM BST 23 Oct 2010

World Cup 'votes for hire’ crisis took another twist on Saturday night with new allegations emerging against Michel Zen-Ruffinen, the former Fifa general secretary.

The World Cup 'votes for hire’ crisis took another twist last night with new allegations emerging against Michel Zen-Ruffinen, the former Fifa general secretary.

He was filmed allegedly offering himself as a fixer available for hire for £210,000.

With England seemingly leading the way in the race to win the rights to stage the 2018 World Cup finals, Zen-Ruffinen, 51, is alleged to have told undercover reporters what he claims it would take to win the backing of some of the members of the Fifa executive committee who will vote on the issue in Zurich on Dec 2.

Zen-Ruffinen allegedly suggests some of the members can be influenced by money, another by “ladies”, while another was “the biggest gangster you will find on earth”.

Fifa has already agreed to investigate the issue of vote buying after similar allegations last week.

These new claims will heap further pressure on Sepp Blatter. In May he will again run for Fifa president, at the age of 74. As it stands, he will run unopposed.

This lends a political delicacy to the Fifa ethics committee’s investigation into alleged corruption by two of its executive committee members, Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii, four other officials and, in a parallel investigation, alleged collusion between bidding nations on vote-swapping for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Blatter cannot afford to go soft on corruption for fear that another candidate might use it as a platform to run against him in May. Yet neither can he take the risk of being too severe on those who have been inside the Fifa oligarchy.

Aside from investigating Adamu and Temarii for allegedly offering to take money in exchange for their vote — the classic corruption paradigm — Fifa is also looking into what it is ludicrously calling “rumours” (you don’t investigate a rumour) of collusion between bids on voting.

It is forbidden for bids to co-operate with each other and horse-trade votes (i.e. if you vote for us for 2018, we’ll vote for you for 2022) just as it is forbidden for one bid to criticise another. Yeah, and Blatter is a tall, handsome man. The procedure itself is manifestly open to abuse, exacerbated once it became clear that a deal had been cut to ensure one of the European bids was going to get 2018.

At that point, the bidders hived off into two groups. In these circumstances could a bid afford not to gain an ally in the other camp? Fifa is looking at Spain and Portugal’s relationship with Qatar but it would be naive to assume it stops there.

Asian Football Confederation president and Fifa executive committee member Mohammed Bin Hammam has even publicly said that it is “not surprising” that this sort of thing is taking place.

Why did Fifa put itself in such a vulnerable position? Simply greed. The decision to award two World Cups at the same time was because it would enable Fifa to cut more lucrative television and marketing deals. And of course, being wooed by twice as many suitors doubtless has its advantages.

The voting itself takes place behind closed doors in Zurich and is anonymous. Until there is transparency, Fifa’s ethics committee (who said oxymoron?) will be kept busy.

A US study estimated the World Cup to be worth $5billion (£3.2billion) to a host nation. Five billion dollars; 24 votes. Exactly.

With the English bid getting the highest marks from Fifa’s inspection team there is growing optimism of success. The investigation of Spain-Portugal and Qatar can do nothing but good for the English bid.

Russia is the only credible rival, and its bid was reported last night to be in trouble, with Prime Minister Vladimir Putin believed to be resisting pressure to fly to Zurich for the vote on Dec 2.
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #7840
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
Australia losing out to the USA for 2022 wouldn't be an upset in alot of people's eyes. As much as I hate saying it, I think the USA are the favourites for it. Although I really hope they don't get it for 2 reasons; 1) They had it in 1994 & 2) Well, I'm Australian!
Wezza no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup