daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 24th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #7881
kidrobot

Likes (Received): 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
Other than a few reputable sources pretty much all of the British Press are in it to make stories out of nothing and sell papers, and the more controversy that is stirred up because of it, the more they will do it.
See, you wrote it yourself - another good reason not to trust the press. I wrote about it a couple of pages back. Journalism is now about causing shitstorms, earning cash, being an instrument of propaganda - but not about actually getting the facts to the reader.

I'm glad we agreed on something
kidrobot no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #7882
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobot View Post
See, you wrote it yourself - another good reason not to trust the press. I wrote about it a couple of pages back. Journalism is now about causing shitstorms, earning cash, being an instrument of propaganda - but not about actually getting the facts to the reader.

I'm glad we agreed on something
For the novice it can be extremely difficult to work out what's honourable at times , thats for sure
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #7883
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

Glad you chose to address the other topics I mentioned as well

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #7884
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Quote:
Before the whinging hoards came over the Urals and carried on their tirade about the British Press we were talking about the vote selling scandal, a very good example of excellent journalism (and from the British press as well, who'd've thunk it?!)

Things aren't black and white, as I've said hundreds of times there's good and bad journalism, just like any profession. Distrusting all journalism is as silly and dangerous as trusting all of it. If the press wasn't in existence Adamu wouldn't be suspended, we wouldn't know about the alleged Qatari-Spain vote deal, we wouldn't know about the story broken today about how much it costs to get a vote from certain FIFA execs, and FIFA would be going about its normal dirty business whilst pretending to the world it's policing itself and is a clean organisation.

Then what would we be talking about?.....stadiums probably
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #7885
kidrobot

Likes (Received): 8659

I'm just tired of arguing, matthenod. I have counter-arguments, but we better stop right here and give a good example to others.

As for the scandal - I'm almost sure the journalists got some support and "motivation". Because I don't see it why they didn't do this earlier and on a wider scale.

Last edited by kidrobot; October 24th, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
kidrobot no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #7886
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7061

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
For the 300th time, the England 2018 bid has NOTHING to do with what is written in our press and there is no more a PR campaign against Russia than there is against any other bid. Would you and other Russians in this thread get that into your skulls, because I'm pretty bored of repeating this point.
If England 2018 bid has NOTHING to do with what is written in your press, so why you post these articles in your every tenth message?
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #7887
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
If England 2018 bid has NOTHING to do with what is written in your press, so why you post these articles in your every tenth message?
Think about it.

The articles are ABOUT the WC 2018 bids (and therefore relevant to this thread).

That's altogether a different thing to the articles being written BY the England 2018 bid team.

It's not rocket science.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #7888
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7061

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Think about it.

The articles are ABOUT the WC 2018 bids (and therefore relevant to this thread).

That's altogether a different thing to the articles being written BY the England 2018 bid team.

It's not rocket science.
Seriously. If you post article, that it means - you seems it interesting and you are solidary with journalist. There are many articles about a World Cup in the British press. But you recommend us to read only articles which are interesting to you. Therefore articles corresponds to your opinion, whether not so?
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #7889
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Before the whinging hoards came over the Urals and carried on their tirade about the British Press we were talking about the vote selling scandal, a very good example of excellent journalism (and from the British press as well, who'd've thunk it?!)

Things aren't black and white, as I've said hundreds of times there's good and bad journalism, just like any profession. Distrusting all journalism is as silly and dangerous as trusting all of it. If the press wasn't in existence Adamu wouldn't be suspended, we wouldn't know about the alleged Qatari-Spain vote deal, we wouldn't know about the story broken today about how much it costs to get a vote from certain FIFA execs, and FIFA would be going about its normal dirty business whilst pretending to the world it's policing itself and is a clean organisation.

Then what would we be talking about?.....stadiums probably
The ironic thing is that thus far the british press have probabley helped the Russian bid by exposing two of their rivals potentially corruption.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #7890
Russia__WC__2018
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
Yes the media will be saying all sorts of things about the other bids, they're also saying it about our bid too.
Do you realise that people who are reading biased bulls**t about Russia's bid in british news, they don't care that this is a "characteristics of british press". The important thing that it's attacking other bid. No one cares that this is "british thing" (it's a jersey thing )

Or you can write bulls**t about others, but don't forget to write the same about yourself, and you are clear?

It doesn't justify external attacks.

Brits who can't accept it are lying to themselves. But it's your problem.

Last edited by Russia__WC__2018; October 24th, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
Russia__WC__2018 no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #7891
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 950

Quote:
Seriously. If you post article, that it means - you seems it interesting and you are solidary with journalist. There are many articles about a World Cup in the British press. But you recommend us to read only articles which are interesting to you. Therefore articles corresponds to your opinion, whether not so?
If it is an article that relates to the World Cup or bidder, than they have all the rights to post the article. Even if it rips other bidders.
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #7892
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1921

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
A lot of lie and false claims from British side is a good sign for Russian bid. They feel they are in troubles. Actually i believe UK should be disqualified just for this massive black PR campaign launched against Russia.

ps. All was said is "he will decide himself, so ask him".
You were there, I take it?

The funny thing is, this "black PR story" isn't even against the Russian bid. It's not critical of the bid in any way.

If a Russian paper printed a story saying Cameron was only going to go if he beleived England would win the bid, it wouldn't be seen as a smear on the England bid. A knock against Cameron perhaps, but that's it.

But of course, you believe the media in this country is being told by the government and the FA to print the stories they want them to print, because that's how media across the world works, apparently.

It is strange how there's a such a strong correlation between countries with a poor press freedom index and the conviction they have that other countries keep lying about them. If North Koreans had internet access they'd be outraged about the lies other countries tell about their land.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #7893
JimB

Quote:
That may be your modus operandi but you can't assume that everyone is the same as you.

If Rob posts an article about the World Cup bids on this thread, the most that you have the right to assume is that he posted it because it was relevant to this thread.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #7894
Russia__WC__2018
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
It is strange how there's a such a strong correlation between countries with a poor press freedom index and the conviction they have that other countries keep lying about them.
This is exactly what must be said about UK and USA. USA even still censoring video reports from Afghanistan.

Or this: British SIS Hit Team Kills Top US Oil Expert For Breaking Gulf Oil Spill News Blackout

This is a long long conversation. How people from countries, which are listed higher in Soros-sponsored "list" have superiority complex, and talking about others, like they don't have access to the "truth".

The situation is directly opposite.

And let's not make a mess from this point.
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #7895
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russia__WC__2018 View Post
Do you realise that people who are reading biased bulls**t about Russia's bid in british news, they don't care that this is a "characteristics of british press". The important thing that it's attacking other bid. No one cares that this is "british thing" (it's a jersey thing )

Or you can write bulls**t about others, but don't forget to write the same about yourself, and you are clear?

It doesn't justify external attacks.

Brits who can't accept it are lying to themselves. But it's your problem.
For crying out loud.........do you and your fellow Russians have nothing better to talk about other than the British media? It's quite clear that you don't understand the British media and how it operates and it's equally clear that you have no interest in listening to the informed opinion of those who DO understand. I wouldn't presume to lecture you about the Russian media. So what makes you think you can lecture Brits?

As has been said, time after time, the Russian obsession with the British media on this thread is mind numbingly boring. You just drone on and on and on and on and on and on and on........

Please......pretty please........with sugar on top......talk about something else. Talk about something that is relevant to this thread (like, I dunno..............um...........stadiums?) and give up this half witted obsession you have with the British media. Because, as things stand, perpetual Russian whingeing is just ruining this thread and rendering it utterly unreadable.

Last edited by JimB; October 24th, 2010 at 09:21 PM.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #7896
waqif
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Argentina gives tactical green light to Qatar 2022 bid

Argentina has confirmed it will throw its weight behind Qatar’s bid to host the FIFA World Cup in 2022.

“We expect that Doha in return will support our candidacy to co-host the event in 2030 along with Uruguay,” said Carlos Enrique Meyer, Argentinean tourism minister, during a state visit to Doha".

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/argen...id-357860.html

Gulftimes

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topic...6&parent_id=16
waqif no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #7897
Russia__WC__2018
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I wouldn't presume to lecture you about the Russian media. So what makes you think you can lecture Brits?
I see how brits or americans lecturing Russia about its "totalitarian media" everyday in internet. Though they don't have a clue about that.

The main problem, I repeat, is not even a british press bias. The superiority complex, based on what you "did know since birthday" about some countries, is a main problem. And that people don't want to change its dinosour vision of the world.

And I don't understand why are you talking to me, because I argued with matthemod.
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #7898
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russia__WC__2018 View Post
I see how brits or americans lecturing Russia about its "totalitarian media" everyday in internet. Though they don't have a clue about that.

The main problem, I repeat, is not even a british press bias. The superiority complex, based on what you "did know since birthday" about some countries, is a main problem. And that people don't want to change its dinosour vision of the world.

And I don't understand why are you talking to me, because I argued with matthemod.
Yawn.

Again...........

Any chance that you could talk about something else?
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #7899
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Seriously, are there any Russians on this sub-forum who are intelligent, objective supporters of their bid because I haven't met one yet. I mean that honestly and with sadness.

I've been posting on various internet forums for years about Olympic and world cup bids. Every group of supporters had its blind nationalists who would blame criticism on the press and see their nation's bid as perfect, but they tended to be ignored and disowned by their less jingoisitic countrymen, and you could mostly have a good debate in the end.

There isn't one Russian here who redeems the rest and who you can have a debate with. Not one. It's like you've all been indoctrinated to repeat the party line. Take that as an insult if you want and carry on rambling about the British Press if you like, but I've got more pressing matters to attend to:

Last edited by RobH; October 24th, 2010 at 09:40 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #7900
Russia__WC__2018
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
It's like you've all been indoctrinated to repeat the party line.
We are all just KGB agents. Only we have access to internet. Others have only 5 minutes every week, when they have free time in Gulag.

How didn't you know that?

Last edited by Russia__WC__2018; October 24th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup