daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 25th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #7921
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1102

I thought we just had a break through with the satirical stuff.
Walbanger no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #7922
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobot View Post
I don't see people from any other countries posting bullshit articles here, other than Britain, that's why there is such an argument between brits and russians.
Anyway, I find it funny how things have changed. Our country was brainwashed for 80 years. So noone believes what the press says.
I call BS on that one. The vitriolic jingoist most Russians have shown themselves to be on SSC aren't likely the kind to have not bought into much of what their national press tells them. The lack in diversity of thought is striking.
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #7923
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
Call me a cynic if you like, or even one of the "sheeple" who does know the "truth", but something about that site makes me suspect it isn't exactly a reliable source of information.

If that's where you get your ideas of press "cover-ups" from though, it does explain a lot.
Not shocking it wouldn't raise a red flag to him. That is the same nutter journalism that is RT's bread and butter so why would that come off as abnormal.
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #7924
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I call BS on that one. The vitriolic jingoist most Russians have shown themselves to be on SSC aren't likely the kind to have not bought into much of what their national press tells them.
What the difference between your own position and position of your national press?
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #7925
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
You have the right to comment about an article. Absolutely. Be as critical of it as you want.

But, just because you might only ever post articles which reflect your own opinion, you don't have the right to assume that everyone else does the same. You have no idea what other people might or might not do.

Here's an idea: why don't you ask RobH instead of making such assumptions? That would be the civilized and polite thing to do.

Or is that too much to ask of you?
This is not forum for RobH, this is forum for everybody. I ask you about the rules of talk.

RobH posted the article. I, like other Russians, said that this article is BS. You started to talk about "brainwashing Russians", "party line", "RT", "North Koreans" and other crap. Are you against critic from Russian side? Why are you defending this newspaper, if you don't feel connection between mass-media and English bid?

If you show me a Russian article or report on RT, where speaking that the failure of the current British PM Gordon Brown attend at FIFA' meeting on December 2, 2010 will symbolize fiasco of English bid, I will also say that this is BS. If you will find such articles everyday in Russian press, that you will have right to speak that Russian mass-media is BS.

Last edited by AlekseyVT; October 25th, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #7926
Fobos2030

Likes (Received): 3189

Here some more video:

Putin and Medvedev:

Arshavin - Congratulation happy New Year:

Putin and Medvedev at the computer:

A song about rename militia in police:

sry for offtop
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #7927
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

I hate to ask for anyone to be banned Mo but could you please give some of these fools the boot. I know this forum has nationalism leaking though every crack in the walls but its normally backed up with some kind of intelligent debate.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #7928
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Interesting vids.You get the gist of them although its unfortunate the first one hasn't got subtitles
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #7929
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

What the hell is this thread about?

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #7930
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
What the hell is this thread about?
x2
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #7931
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

This should get things back on track

UEFA members accepted millions to vote for Poland and Ukraine to host Euro 2012

Sunday, 24 October 2010
By Duncan Mackay

October 24 - A new corruption scandal erupted today when it was claimed that UEFA officials accepted €11 million (£10 million/$15 million) worth of bribes to help Poland and Ukraine win its controversial bid to host the European Championships in 2012.

Cyprus' Spyros Marangos has claimed he is going to release information that five members of European football's governing body's Executive Board accepted the money to vote for Poland and Ukraine ahead of rivals Italy and another joint bid from Croatia and Hungary.

Poland and Ukraine polled eight votes at the UEFA Congress in Cardiff in April 2007 when they were awarded the tournament while Italy got four and no-one voted for Croatia/Hungary.

There was widespread surprise at the decision at the time and the event has since been overshadowed by problems with the build-up, particularly in Ukraine.

Marangos, a member on the executive committee of the Cyprus Football Association, told the German newspaper Suddeutsche Zeitung that he has tried to give the evidence to UEFA but that they are not interested.

It is unclear how Marangos came to obtain this evidence or how reliable it is.

But his lawyer Neoclis Neocleous has claimed that there are witnesses who can corroborate his version of events and they are willing to testify under oath.

"[There] one or two witnesses were involved in certain transactions," said Neocleous.

But UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino has dismissed the information.

"If anyone knows things he should raise them," he told Suddeutsche Zeitung.

"Our doors are always open, we will look at everything."

But Marangos has several e-mails which he claims are evidence that he has tried to alert UEFA but that they are ignoring him, including cancelling a meeting where he planned to hand over his evidence in August.
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #7932
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Isn't it funny how the the nation with the most respected media IN THE WORLD (The British) who don't hide behind anything, who get all the scoops and actually report THE NEWS and not what senior members want the average joe to hear is being ridiculed for exposing a scandal which they would've done even if it involved the English. If you have noticed. The press have no care about anything other then reporting major stories to sell papers and gain reputation.

The British press are so far ahead of other's in terms of getting inside knowledge and actually breaking stories and reporting on them its the reason so many people have a say on them.

You guys question the Sun etc as being a bad paper! Its not a bad paper. Its just a paper that shows a few boobs and stories which aren't that important. They are still factual though. The news is just stuff which the thick society prefer rather then a broadsheet like the Times. Plus its cheaper.

Now the Ruskies on here seem to feel a vendetta on thier bid by our press because thier politicians cant stop opening thier traps and spouting shit. To bad our boys are there to pick up on it. Try and defend them as much as you want ... it's your lot in the wrong for saying the stuff. not ours for reporting it.

Ask Rooney, Ask Ashley Cole, Ask Triesman ... etc etc ... All English all had thier lives ****ed up by our Press for being ******* GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO and revealing the TRUTH. deal with it. Much rather have that then PUTIN keeping tabs on whats wrote.

FREE PRESS ... LOVE IT.
Ecological no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #7933
JimB

Likes (Received): 4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
This is not forum for RobH, this is forum for everybody. I ask you about the rules of talk.

RobH posted the article. I, like other Russians, said that this article is BS. You started to talk about "brainwashing Russians", "party line", "RT", "North Koreans" and other crap. Are you against critic from Russian side? Why are you defending this newspaper, if you don't feel connection between mass-media and English bid?

If you show me a Russian article or report on RT, where speaking that the failure of the current British PM Gordon Brown attend at FIFA' meeting on December 2, 2010 will symbolize fiasco of English bid, I will also say that this is BS. If you will find such articles everyday in Russian press, that you will have right to speak that Russian mass-media is BS.
You're not the sharpest tool in the box, are you? I shouldn't have to explain yet again, but here goes:

There is nothing wrong with criticizing an article (though please just stick to criticizing the specifics of the article rather than launching into a stale and repetitive polemic about the British media). If you disagree with an article, you have every right to say why you think it is wrong.

But you cannot make assumptions about other people and their motives. You specifically accused RobH of only posting articles which exactly reflected his own opinion. But that is demonstrably untrue since, if you bothered to look back through this thread, you will see that he has posted many articles - some of which take a stance that is diametrically opposed to others. So how on earth could RobH agree with both? Unless you're also accusing him of being clinically schizophrenic?

One other thing (since your paranoia seems to have precluded the possibility of any fact or rational thought from entering your head)................please be aware that I haven't said anything about the Russian media. I couldn't care less about the Russian media. I no more want this thread to be derailed by tedious drivel about the Russian media than I want it to be derailed by tedious drivel about the British media.

So be so kind as to cease lecturing me about doing things that I have never done. There's a good lad.

Incidentally, you need to update your internal browser. If Gordon Brown was to attend FIFA's meeting on December 2nd in support of England's bid, it would be almost as much of a surprise as if Boris Yeltsin was to attend in support of Russia's bid.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #7934
rus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

It is necessary that in this thread was a Russian moderator. Anglo-Saxons behave rude and condescending, knowing that they are all allowed. Requires democracy.
rus no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #7935
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
Isn't it funny how the the nation with the most respected media IN THE WORLD (The British) who don't hide behind anything, who get all the scoops and actually report THE NEWS and not what senior members want the average joe to hear is being ridiculed for exposing a scandal which they would've done even if it involved the English. If you have noticed. The press have no care about anything other then reporting major stories to sell papers and gain reputation.

The British press are so far ahead of other's in terms of getting inside knowledge and actually breaking stories and reporting on them its the reason so many people have a say on them.

You guys question the Sun etc as being a bad paper! Its not a bad paper. Its just a paper that shows a few boobs and stories which aren't that important. They are still factual though. The news is just stuff which the thick society prefer rather then a broadsheet like the Times. Plus its cheaper.

Now the Ruskies on here seem to feel a vendetta on thier bid by our press because thier politicians cant stop opening thier traps and spouting shit. To bad our boys are there to pick up on it. Try and defend them as much as you want ... it's your lot in the wrong for saying the stuff. not ours for reporting it.

Ask Rooney, Ask Ashley Cole, Ask Triesman ... etc etc ... All English all had thier lives ****ed up by our Press for being ******* GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO and revealing the TRUTH. deal with it. Much rather have that then PUTIN keeping tabs on whats wrote.

FREE PRESS ... LOVE IT.
Please........don't get drawn into this, however provoked you may feel. Quite apart from the fact that what you say is highly debatable (to put it mildly), it has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #7936
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus View Post
It is necessary that in this thread was a Russian moderator. Anglo-Saxons behave rude and condescending, knowing that they are all allowed. Requires democracy.
Quite the opposite.

Mo has shown tolerance beyond the call of duty not to ban some of the Russians on this thread who persistently derail it.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #7937
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus View Post
I'm personally of the opinion the thread should be closed actually. Don't see any point in it anymore really.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #7938
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I'm personally of the opinion the thread should be closed actually. Don't see any point in it anymore really.
True, that.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #7939
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Few updates from World Football Insider:

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33836

Blatter leadership under scrutiny
Under-fire Sepp Blatter faces a big week in his leadership of FIFA and his campaign to be re-elected as president at the FIFA Congress next May. Blatter will today meet with secretary general Jerome Valcke and other senior officials to discuss the damaging allegations centring around Zen-Ruffinen's revelations. The executive committee meets on Thursday and Friday when the bid scandal will be top of the agenda. Members are also scheduled to decide the voting procedure for the Dec. 2 secret ballot. But one possible outcome of the Ex-co meeting is that the vote may be postponed.

Switzerland reviews corruption laws
Switzerland is examining its corruption laws following the bid scandal involving Zurich-based FIFA. Swiss newspaper SonntagsZeitung reported that sports minister Ueli Maurer has launched a review and may tighten the regulations. Switzerland is home to over 40 international sports federations, including FIFA, UEFA and the IOC. Federal sports office spokesman Christoph Lauener told the newspaper that corruption was a bigger problem for sport and its reputation than doping.

Only three bidders at International Football Arena
World Cup bid CEOs from Australia, Japan and Russia are presenting at the International Football Arena conference in Zurich tomorrow. Nearly 200 football executives are attending the Oct. 25 to 26 conference at the Dolder Grand Hotel, but there are few FIFA Ex-co members for the bid teams to impress. FIFA president Sepp Blatter is expected to be there for a short time, but with fresh allegations emerging on Sunday in the bid bribery scandal he will be spending most of today and tomorrow in crisis meetings at FIFA headquarters. The other six 2018/2022 bids do not have a presence at the small-scale conference, preferring to concentrate their lobbying efforts elsewhere on the campaign trail.

UEFA denies Euro 2012 bribery claims
UEFA secretary general Gianni Infantino has dismissed claims over bribes being given to UEFA officials to secure the 2012 European Championships for Poland and Ukraine. According to news reports over the weekend, Cyprus Football Association chief Spiros Marangos alleges that several members of UEFA's ruling executive took bribes in exchange for their votes for the east European nations. The former head of the Polish FA, Michal Listkiewicz, also refuted the claims. Poland-Ukraine beat off competition from Italy and Croatia-Hungary in the UEFA vote in April 2007.
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #7940
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Incidentally, you need to update your internal browser. If Gordon Brown was to attend FIFA's meeting on December 2nd in support of England's bid, it would be almost as much of a surprise as if Boris Yeltsin was to attend in support of Russia's bid.
Sorry, I was referring to current British PM David Milliband, of course.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup