daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 24th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #61
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder
From Jan 1. we are in the Asian rotation. It will be between Korea, China, Japan and Oz out of the nations that could potentially host it.

If you are a supporter Oz would be the best location because you could actually have half a shot of getting to see games for a reasonable price.

Gotta be staged in Nov/Dec however.
And since J/K already hosted it, it's either China or Oz.

Why november/december?
hngcm no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #62
Alexander21
Megas Makedonas

Likes (Received): 1

Football may not be number one in Japan, but it is getting there. it is at least number two to baseball in Japan and is definetley number one in Korea.

For Australia to host the World Cup it would have to be June/July and the AFL and Rugby seasons would have to be put on hold. I dont think that they would just 'roll over' and allow football to take over their stadiums etc in the middle of their seasons.

It wont happen in November/December either, not when the European seasons and the Champions League are in full swing.
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #63
Valeroso

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkill
Not many people down our way are intrested in soccer, but it could happen, only bad thing is that the country is so large, and spread out that it would be hard to keep it all together, and overseas fans would be travling form one city to another to follow their team through the events.
Well, as far I remember, Australia incorporated the exact same practice for the Rugby World Cup and it seemed to work pretty well. As for Australia hosting it in 2018. Why not? I'd be cheering for the bid. It could only make Soccer in Australia more popular. But then again, don't nations have to prove that they have a history of soccer when hosting the World Cup? (And don't the countries that host the World Cup have a national team in the competition also?) Those two traits I'd think Australia would have considerable trouble in achieving. Oh well, theres always Cricket.
Valeroso no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #64
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

^ South Africa isn't exactly what you would call a soccer benchmark...... Though they are ranked higher than Australia & have made the WC more often. That might have something to do with their qualifcation process though. I dunno......
Wezza no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #65
BobDaBuilder

Supposedly FIFA is 'good for the game'. So if they want to be good for the game, maybe once in their 100 odd years of history actually do something for Oz soccer. They have deliberately ignored it up to this point. We have the stadiums, infrastructure, people you name it.

The catch is it has gotta be in Oct/Nov. The Euro leagues can take a month off, the players will be fresher too not having to slog through 7/8 months of a season by then plus the Oz climate at that time of year is perfect for soccer.

AFL/NRL would never allow their stadiums to be hijacked by soccer in June/July. Oct/Nov is not a problem and everyone is happy.

Once in history won't hurt the Euro leagues a bit.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #66
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander21
Football may not be number one in Japan, but it is getting there. it is at least number two to baseball in Japan and is definetley number one in Korea.

For Australia to host the World Cup it would have to be June/July and the AFL and Rugby seasons would have to be put on hold. I dont think that they would just 'roll over' and allow football to take over their stadiums etc in the middle of their seasons.

It wont happen in November/December either, not when the European seasons and the Champions League are in full swing.
It can only happen in June/July,and the only real problem would be Melbourne.AFL venues such as the SCG,GABBA,AAMI and Subiaco would not be considered for a World Cup.In Sydney,most NRL games are played on Suburban venues and the SCG can be used for Aussie Stadium tenants.Telstra Stadium usage would affect the Bulldogs,but they would use their other venue,such as Showground.

Melbourne AFL would just have to give up their venues or the rest of the country will host without them.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #67
kichigai

Likes (Received): 182

Under the new MCG agreement (with changes to AFL Prelimanary Finals) I believe that the MCG is free to secure other events during the AFL season.
kichigai no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #68
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Its a good question though.What would Melbourne do if the MCG and Telstra Dome were unavailable for probably 6 weeks in June/July??
hmmmm....Maybe Optus Oval for 2-3 games per week.Maybe we will see a few teams back their roots....Moorabbin,Punt Rd?....Might be a chance to upgrade these venues if Aus got a Football WC...Melbourne may not have a choice.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #69
hngcm

MCG makes a horrible soccer stadium....

And there's no way the European Leagues are going to go on hold for a month.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #70
Alexander21
Megas Makedonas

I have been to the MCG and saw some first class football.

vs Iran, vs France, vs Uruguay

It is perfect for football.
Old August 25th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #71
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

going on past events hosted by australia a soccer world cup in australia will be well embraced, well attended at excellent venues and will add a new dimension to the soccer world cup....their national team is the same standard if not better than our south african team who are failing to qualify for 2006 which does not reflect well on it as the host nation in 2010...would i vote yes for a soccer world cup in australia?? Yes.... by 2018 they would be excellent hosts....
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #72
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

FA considers 2018 World Cup bid

england have more 40,000+ stadiums that are purpose-buillt (with stands close to the pitch), and more modern than australia's.

england is the home of football, with a rich history of footballing tradition. some of the most famous footballing stadiums in the world will be used - a huge draw.

england can gaurentee greater enthusiasm for the game, with guarenteed full-houses.

and england haven't hosted the competition since 1966 (so it'll be 52yrs since). throw in the fact that the world cup probably won't have been in europe for 12yrs by then and that adds to the draw even more.

also england can remind fifa of the success of euro 96, when england hosted the european championship.

i really wouldn't think australia would have much of a chance to be honest.
Noostairz no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #73
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Supposedly FIFA is 'good for the game'. So if they want to be good for the game, maybe once in their 100 odd years of history actually do something for Oz soccer. They have deliberately ignored it up to this point. We have the stadiums, infrastructure, people you name it.

The catch is it has gotta be in Oct/Nov. The Euro leagues can take a month off, the players will be fresher too not having to slog through 7/8 months of a season by then plus the Oz climate at that time of year is perfect for soccer.

AFL/NRL would never allow their stadiums to be hijacked by soccer in June/July. Oct/Nov is not a problem and everyone is happy.

Once in history won't hurt the Euro leagues a bit.
I can tell you now that the chances of FIFA accepting any bid that puts another sport before football/soccer are zero.

Quote:
^ South Africa isn't exactly what you would call a soccer benchmark...... Though they are ranked higher than Australia & have made the WC more often. That might have something to do with their qualifcation process though. I dunno......
It is a nation where soccer is the favouried sport of the majority of the population though unlike Australia. I spose you could point to the US and Japanese world cups but in those cases I think the size/wealth of the potential markets for the game overcame that, I'm not sure it would with Australia(GDP $611 billion) espeically when they have China(GDP $7,600 billion and likely to grow alot faster by 2018) as an alternative.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:44 AM   #74
hngcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander21
I have been to the MCG and saw some first class football.

vs Iran, vs France, vs Uruguay

It is perfect for football.
Stands are too far back....

And England would make an awesome WC
hngcm no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #75
BobDaBuilder

Personally I would be against England/Europe holding the World Cup 'AGAIN' in 2018.

FIFA has that market well and truely sewn up, nothing more to do there. They need to broaden the reach of the sport.

They need to look at India, China or Australia for 2018.

As for England, great country, stadiums etc.. but has anyone tried getting a ticket for a sporting event there? Nigh on impossible for the face value price to any decent event. We would be doing the English a favour by staging the event so even they would stand a chance of getting in for a reasonable price.

Old August 26th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #76
Valeroso

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edennewstairs
and england haven't hosted the competition since 1966 (so it'll be 52yrs since). throw in the fact that the world cup probably won't have been in europe for 12yrs by then and that adds to the draw even more.

also england can remind fifa of the success of euro 96, when england hosted the european championship.

i really wouldn't think australia would have much of a chance to be honest.
52 years since its been in England? 12 years since it would have been in Europe? How about 0 years of being in Australia? I think the fact that Australia's never hosted the event is reason enough to be an attractive bidder. As for the Euro 96, Australia can boast about the 2000 successful Olympics, and the Rugby World Cup. But that being said, you're probably right about the last part. I can't really see Australia having much of a chance to host it in 2018, but 2024? Heh, maybe.
Valeroso no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #77
BobDaBuilder

Bottom line is if Oz hosted the World Cup, it would be 'for the people'. You stage it in the UK it will only be for the money-bag types just like you get now with big international matches. If you are just the average football fan in England with little money you'll be only watching it down the pub on the tele anyhow. If you stage it down in Oz, you'll get to see a bunch of matches at the stadium because we have a less people, less density and the distance from Europe will keep the non-hardcore types away. It would be the 'purists' world cup, just like it used to be. You'll be able to go to a bunch of games, the whole country would be absorbed by it and it would be a massive party. In England, it would just disapear under the radar once England bombs out in the 1st or 2nd round like they always do.
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #78
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

what the hell? The people of England Love Football. There For, it will be for them.
Id say the Government in UK is smart to make money out of it. after all, id like for Oz to make money too.
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #79
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Bottom line is if Oz hosted the World Cup, it would be 'for the people'. You stage it in the UK it will only be for the money-bag types just like you get now with big international matches. If you are just the average football fan in England with little money you'll be only watching it down the pub on the tele anyhow. If you stage it down in Oz, you'll get to see a bunch of matches at the stadium because we have a less people, less density and the distance from Europe will keep the non-hardcore types away. It would be the 'purists' world cup, just like it used to be. You'll be able to go to a bunch of games, the whole country would be absorbed by it and it would be a massive party. In England, it would just disapear under the radar once England bombs out in the 1st or 2nd round like they always do.
MMMmmmm, £30-40 for a ticket in the UK or £500+ for an airfair to Oz, I know which I'd preffer.

I'd say people in the UK are some of the biggest fans of football in general aswell not just their own national teams. The euro 2004 games I went to for example were all packed with Brits there as neutrals or supporting another team, strangely I'd say we actually outnumbered the Italian support at both of the group games that I saw.

Last edited by MoreOrLess; August 26th, 2005 at 04:30 PM.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:25 PM   #80
goldcoaster12
goldcoaster12

Likes (Received): 0

World Cup 2018 - Australia / New Zealand?

Wouldnt it be great to see a world cup eventually in Australia. Although i think we would have to co host it with New Zealand like Japan/South Korea.
Here would be some possible venues. We would have to update and build new stadiums though.
Sydney:
Telstra Stadium (Probably the stadium for the Final)

Aussie Stadium:

Melbourne
MCG:

Telstra DomePretty sure the seats can be changed to more of a rectangular formation)

Brisbane:
Suncorp Stadium

Gold Coast:
Robina Stadium:

Townsville: (Would definetely need upgrading)

Adelaide:
Hindmarsh Stadium:
Perth: Members Equity Stadium:

Canberra:
Canberra Stadium:

Newcastle:
Energy Australia Stadium:

Wellington:
Westpac Stadium:

Auckland:
Ericsson Stadium:

Christchurch:
Jade Stadium:

Which ones would you use? Personally Telstra, Suncorp are the only ones up to scratch
goldcoaster12 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup