daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:57 AM   #8121
Aka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,382
Likes (Received): 145

Six out of ten teams. OK.
Aka no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2010, 03:10 AM   #8122
Bezzi
Registered User
 
Bezzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 4,010
Likes (Received): 995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolsilludo View Post
Confirmed: South America will get 4.5 spots for the upcoming World Cup in Brazil!!!





Sorry, but the article it's in spanish.

Conmebol mantendrá 4,5 cupos para Brasil 2014

Tras fuertes rumores que aseguraban que Suramérica corría el riesgo de perder uno de los cupos para el Mundial de 2014 tras ser Brasil el país anfitrión, el secretario general de la Conmebol, Eduardo Deluca, precisó que se mantendrán las cuatro plazas y media que actualmente se manejan.


Asunción.- Suramérica mantendrá cuatro plazas y media plazas para la Copa del Mundo de Brasil 2014, dijo hoy el secretario general de la Conmebol, Eduardo Deluca.

Los cuatro primeros equipos de las eliminatorias sudamericanas se clasifican directamente, mientras que el quinto disputa un repechaje con el cuarto de CONCACAF, destacó AP.

Además, Brasil tiene un boleto directo como país anfitrión.

"El presidente de FIFA, Joseph Blatter, dijo a Julio Grondona, uno de los representantes de la América del Sur ante esa institución, que en ningún momento se habló de la posibilidad de restarle una plaza a nuestro continente sólo porque Brasil tiene asegurado un lugar en el siguiente Mundial a jugarse en ese país'', explicó Deluca.

Deluca participó el martes en Asunción en un congreso local de desarrollo deportivo.

"Tenemos, entonces la palabra de Blatter pero es el comité ejecutivo de FIFA el que tendrá que resolver definitivamente la cuestión en su reunión ordinaria a cumplirse a fines de este mes en Zurich'', aclaró.

Source: http://caracas.eluniversal.com/2010/...A4684411.shtml
Interesting. But I think this should be posted on the thread of the world cup 2014, not here.

Last edited by Mo Rush; November 3rd, 2010 at 12:02 PM.
Bezzi no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 04:15 AM   #8123
Will737
...
 
Will737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Me!bourne
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
=

And he infuriated female players by saying there would be more interest from spectators if they wore tighter shirts. [/B]



http://www.austriantimes.at/index.php?id=9288
How can the Qatari's say that Sepp supports them?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Oh sod off.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 04:28 PM   #8124
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
How can the Qatari's say that Sepp supports them?
Are you out of your mind
Blatter supports Cairo 2022 !!
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #8125
Will737
...
 
Will737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Me!bourne
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Are you out of your mind
Blatter supports Cairo 2022 !!
But he likes women showing skin...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Oh sod off.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #8126
MysteryMike
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
But he likes women showing skin...
mmm wonder where that other hand is going..or should I say entering

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 4th, 2010 at 02:33 AM.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #8127
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Tisk Tisk Tisk, Blatter Blatter Blatter, Seppy R U Okay ?
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #8128
Will737
...
 
Will737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Me!bourne
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Tisk Tisk Tisk, Blatter Blatter Blatter, Seppy R U Okay ?
Does Qatar have enough money to pay for his strippers and prostitutes. No. Qatar won't win.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Oh sod off.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #8129
joaotali
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9
Likes (Received): 0

Spain / Portugal 2018 definitely!!

UEFA Euro 2000 - Portugal Semi-finals
UEFA Euro 2004(portugal) - Portugal Final
2006 FIFA World Cup - Portugal Semi-finals
UEFA Euro 2008 - Spain Wins
2010 FIFA World Cup - Spain Wins


10 years of iberian sucess
joaotali no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #8130
MoreOrLess
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,239
Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
The biggest problem is FIFA don't know how to run a bid process, and even if they did have proven to be corruptable! That, my friend, is the biggest problem. The IOC managed to keep control of an Olympic bid race which included London, Paris, Moscow, New York and Madrid - the two most important cities in Western Europe, Russia and the US' number 1 cities, and erm, Madrid! That could have been Cold war II, the Napoleonic wars and the Armada rolled into one if it got out of control, but it didn't because it was a very well run process on the whole.

FIFA need to learn from this because I can't imagine how this could be a bigger farce than it already is.

EDIT: Sorry, just reread your post, and you meant the biggest problem for Holland/Belgium didn't you? You're probably right on that front.
The problem is that FIFA is ultimately in a far stronger position than the IOC.

The olympics are popular certainly but their only once every 4 years and even then don't come near to the world cups interest levels.

Footballs popularity is so strong that any scandle is going to have a pretty limated effect while the threat of a possible ban is a powerful weapon agenst any individual nation that might speak out.

Blatters election as president was a sure move towards corruption because he's always depended on the growing power of devolping nations. Not that Europe is clean of course but compaired to say Africa I think we all know its less corrupt.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #8131
_X_
Registered User
 
_X_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Geelong,Australia
Posts: 1,387
Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaotali View Post
Spain / Portugal 2018 definitely!!

UEFA Euro 2000 - Portugal Semi-finals
UEFA Euro 2004(portugal) - Portugal Final
2006 FIFA World Cup - Portugal Semi-finals
UEFA Euro 2008 - Spain Wins
2010 FIFA World Cup - Spain Wins


10 years of iberian sucess
I was half supportive of the Iberian bid till the massive collusion deal.You guys should hang your heads in shame-and it hardly even affects my countries bid(1 vote).
I would now prefer one of the other 3 European bids to win
__________________
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #8132
Gondolier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 303
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
The problem is that FIFA is ultimately in a far stronger position than the IOC.

The olympics are popular certainly but their only once every 4 years and even then don't come near to the world cups interest levels.

Footballs popularity is so strong that any scandle is going to have a pretty limated effect while the threat of a possible ban is a powerful weapon agenst any individual nation that might speak out.

Blatters election as president was a sure move towards corruption because he's always depended on the growing power of devolping nations. Not that Europe is clean of course but compaired to say Africa I think we all know its less corrupt.
But FIFA is only ONE sport!! Yes, football is popular to watch but ultimately, as ALL but two countries are left remaining, the ordinary fan/viewer's allegiance also diminshes as his nation is turned out. Fans (who have NO OTHER life) just stick to the end just to watch...pretty much like hanging around a bloody wreck.

The Olympics involve some 2 dozen sports...and a LOT more nationalism is invested in the IOC's party because if you lose in one sport, you still have a few others to hope to come out on top. Unlike the WC which only comes once every 4 years--and your nation has only 1 shot in 32, the Olympics actually come around EVERY 2 years--and for at least 50 of both the summer/winter nations, they stand a bigger chance of grabbing something which you can't in FIFA's baby.
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #8133
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,766
Likes (Received): 10315

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
The problem is that FIFA is ultimately in a far stronger position than the IOC.

The olympics are popular certainly but their only once every 4 years and even then don't come near to the world cups interest levels.

Footballs popularity is so strong that any scandle is going to have a pretty limated effect while the threat of a possible ban is a powerful weapon agenst any individual nation that might speak out.
FIFA wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on if they banned a nation for speaking out against corruption with evidence to back up their claim. Let's hope the Sunday Times' investigation opens up the floogates for media organisations to really crawl into FIFA's inner sanctum and root out the rot that's been investing there since Sepp got the Presidency.

I mean, FFS, Jack Warner is STILL Vice-Pres!
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #8134
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,851
Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
FIFA wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on if they banned a nation for speaking out against corruption with evidence to back up their claim. Let's hope the Sunday Times' investigation opens up the floogates for media organisations to really crawl into FIFA's inner sanctum and root out the rot that's been investing there since Sepp got the Presidency.
It's not this specific investigation that I have a problem with, because we all know FIFA is a mess. You'll probably never agree with me, but your national media does seem to have a pervasive track record of setting up stings for people up who are in highly-visible positions just to break a story. I just don't understand British culture's cannibalistic obsession with celebrity. You all build people up, and then purposely try to bring them crashing back down. Doesn't matter if it's the prince, Triesman, John Terry, Ashley Cole, or Wayne Rooney, but you almost love seeing your own fall. Everton fans who hate Rooney so much, they were almost ecstatic to see him fail in the World Cup. Just something about that mentality that doesn't sit right with me. That's why I'm not so sure a backlash against the English bid isn't somewhat deserved.

One analogy I can use is this. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood, and the cops have virtually nothing to do, so they have to manufacture revenue. They will get a handful of ordinary looking people together and have them walk across streets. Then they have 5 or 6 cops on patrol bikes waiting around the corner. Legally, you have to stop at the intersection and wait until the person has completely crossed the road; complete meaning foot on sidewalk. Which is obviously ridiculous, when they've already crossed your half of the street, there's clearly no danger, and you should be able to continue, but the law is the law. $300 ticket. So I just don't think setting people up to fail is really in the spirit of the law.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #8135
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,766
Likes (Received): 10315

I agree in so many ways actually.

But there's a HUGE difference between catching out FIFA members accpeting bribes in a bid process which the FA is spending tens of millions of pounds on on the one hand (REAL investigative journalism with REAL consequences), and doing a nasty, cynical piece of intrusive journalism into the life of a celebrity (no matter what their stature) on the other. I was referring solely to the former in my previous post, and it is that form of journalism which has caught out FIFA. THAT'S where our media is at its best, and that is the topic of discussion in this thread, not what some minor celeb is doing.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #8136
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon
 
CarlosBlueDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beijing/Shanghai/Guangzhou/HK
Posts: 1,848
Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
mmm wonder where that other hand is going..or should I say entering
who's a girl?? from Mongolia??
__________________
||CHINA|||
说:
> 同一个世界
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #8137
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,851
Likes (Received): 2401

Hmmm. Well yes and no, and I can see both sides. FIFA is corrupt, we get it. It's no secret, we've known that for years. And I understand your point theoretically, but given that England is actively bidding this time, the question becomes 'was it wise'? I just question the wisdom of publishing this just two months before the vote, given that soccer heads are a very close-knit group. Did they honestly think airing out FIFA's dirty laundry NOW would do anything positive for their bid? They were almost asking for a backlash.

BTW, your journalists are a-holes for unnecessarily pretending to be American.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #8138
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,766
Likes (Received): 10315

I can't see both sides. One side is very much in the right, the other very much in the wrong. There's no grey areas at all in all this. FIFA got caught out and are now playing the victim. Well, cry me a river!

Whether it is wise or not is a different question (I can certainly see why you'd ask this question), but I can tell you people in this country will not blame the Times for an England loss even if it does turn out FIFA rejected the bid because of their journalism.

Go back a few years and you'll see the IOC acted properly when the BBC did an investigation like the Times'. No IOC members spoke out publically about "unethical practices" or the methods of the "English press", the member was thrown out of the IOC and London 2012 ultimately chosen. Even if London had lost to Paris, it wouldn't have been because of the BBC's Panorama investigation because the IOC simply did not hold that against the bid; they were able to seperate the journalism from the bid and not hold one responsible for the other's actions. The noises coming out of FIFA seem to imply very strongly the opposite and this to me is yet more proof that the people at the top do not know (nevermind want) to hold a transparent bidding process.

In other words, FIFA have a choice as to how to react, just as the IOC did back in 2004. It won't be the Times' fault if they make the wrong choice.

I am though, quite certain (and indeed heartened) that if England loses this and it looks like the reason for the loss is a grudge, our press will tear FIFA a new arsehole over the next few years, and deservedly so. If FIFA plays this wrongly, whoever does win 2018 and 2022 is going to end up working with a severely troubled organisation.

Last edited by RobH; November 4th, 2010 at 04:29 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #8139
_X_
Registered User
 
_X_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Geelong,Australia
Posts: 1,387
Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I can't see both sides. One side is very much in the right, the other very much in the wrong. There's no grey areas at all in all this. FIFA got caught out and are now playing the victim. Well, cry me a river!

Whether it is wise or not is a different question (I can certainly see why you'd ask this question), but I can tell you people in this country will not blame the Times for an England loss even if it does turn out FIFA rejected the bid because of their journalism.

Go back a few years and you'll see the IOC acted properly when the BBC did an investigation like the Times'. No IOC members spoke out publically about "unethical practices" or the methods of the "English press", the member was thrown out of the IOC and London 2012 ultimately chosen. Even if London had lost to Paris, it wouldn't have been because of the BBC's Panorama investigation because the IOC simply did not hold that against the bid; they were able to seperate the journalism from the bid and not hold one responsible for the other's actions. The noises coming out of FIFA seem to imply very strongly the opposite and this to me is yet more proof that the people at the top do not know (nevermind want) to hold a transparent bidding process.

In other words, FIFA have a choice as to how to react, just as the IOC did back in 2004. It won't be the Times' fault if they make the wrong choice.

I am though, quite certain (and indeed heartened) that if England loses this and it looks like the reason for the loss is a grudge, our press will tear FIFA a new arsehole over the next few years, and deservedly so. If FIFA plays this wrongly, whoever does win 2018 and 2022 is going to end up working with a severely troubled organisation.
I couldn't agree more.
Its dancing with death this time.
How Blatter and MBH can come out and blame the press for EXPOSING something I'll never know.
The biggest short term winners are Sepp Blatter,MBH,the Doha bid and the Iberian bid.The biggest short term losers are the USA,but long term the big losers are Sepp Blatter,MBH,the Doha bid and the Iberian bid,Marudi and Salgeiro
__________________
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #8140
MoreOrLess
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,239
Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
But FIFA is only ONE sport!! Yes, football is popular to watch but ultimately, as ALL but two countries are left remaining, the ordinary fan/viewer's allegiance also diminshes as his nation is turned out. Fans (who have NO OTHER life) just stick to the end just to watch...pretty much like hanging around a bloody wreck.

The Olympics involve some 2 dozen sports...and a LOT more nationalism is invested in the IOC's party because if you lose in one sport, you still have a few others to hope to come out on top. Unlike the WC which only comes once every 4 years--and your nation has only 1 shot in 32, the Olympics actually come around EVERY 2 years--and for at least 50 of both the summer/winter nations, they stand a bigger chance of grabbing something which you can't in FIFA's baby.
I don't see how most of that has much relivance to the point I made, FIFA has direct control of the most popular and richest sport in the world, the IOC has less direct control of a number of much less popular sports.

The very nature of the Olympics with its focus on ideals combined with a much less established audience(who watches these sports the rest of the time?) makes it much more vunerable to damaging by charges of corruption I'd say.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu