daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #8141
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
It's not this specific investigation that I have a problem with, because we all know FIFA is a mess. You'll probably never agree with me, but your national media does seem to have a pervasive track record of setting up stings for people up who are in highly-visible positions just to break a story. I just don't understand British culture's cannibalistic obsession with celebrity. You all build people up, and then purposely try to bring them crashing back down. Doesn't matter if it's the prince, Triesman, John Terry, Ashley Cole, or Wayne Rooney, but you almost love seeing your own fall. Everton fans who hate Rooney so much, they were almost ecstatic to see him fail in the World Cup. Just something about that mentality that doesn't sit right with me. That's why I'm not so sure a backlash against the English bid isn't somewhat deserved.

One analogy I can use is this. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood, and the cops have virtually nothing to do, so they have to manufacture revenue. They will get a handful of ordinary looking people together and have them walk across streets. Then they have 5 or 6 cops on patrol bikes waiting around the corner. Legally, you have to stop at the intersection and wait until the person has completely crossed the road; complete meaning foot on sidewalk. Which is obviously ridiculous, when they've already crossed your half of the street, there's clearly no danger, and you should be able to continue, but the law is the law. $300 ticket. So I just don't think setting people up to fail is really in the spirit of the law.
Thats the bad side of the british media but ultimately the focus of it is pretty much all internal, something like Triesman for example only hurt the FA, you don't see the gutter press going after Blatter or the like because the interest isnt there.

What where talking about here though is totally different though, serious jurnolism tracking down obvious corruption/wrong doing. I see nothing wrong with that personally and if losing out on a WC due to FIFA being rotten to the core and a law onto themselves is the price to pay for a less corrupt society then I'd guess most people here are willing to pay it.

Last edited by MoreOrLess; November 4th, 2010 at 06:12 PM.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #8142
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

This =Qatar and CAF
Wonder if Chung has been weaving his magic in the same way for 2022
Get your act together FIFA

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/...a-ioc.html.csp

S. Korea receives warning
Published Nov 3, 2010 05:28PM
Updated Nov 4, 2010 12:32AM

olympics • The IOC issued a warning to Pyeongchang on Wednesday after a conflict-of-interest probe into sponsorship contracts tied to the South Korean city’s bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics. The IOC ethics commission ordered Pyeongchang to “fully respect the rules of conduct” after two South Korean companies signed sponsorship deals with international sports federations headed by senior IOC members. Korean Air and the International Skating Union have agreed to postpone their sponsorship deal until after the 2018 host-city vote next July, the IOC said. “The ethics commission reminded Pyeongchang 2018 and its related organizations to fully respect the rules of conduct related to candidate cities and issued a warning,” the International Olympic Committee said.
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #8143
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
But FIFA is only ONE sport!! Yes, football is popular to watch but ultimately, as ALL but two countries are left remaining, the ordinary fan/viewer's allegiance also diminshes as his nation is turned out. Fans (who have NO OTHER life) just stick to the end just to watch...pretty much like hanging around a bloody wreck.

The Olympics involve some 2 dozen sports...and a LOT more nationalism is invested in the IOC's party because if you lose in one sport, you still have a few others to hope to come out on top. Unlike the WC which only comes once every 4 years--and your nation has only 1 shot in 32, the Olympics actually come around EVERY 2 years--and for at least 50 of both the summer/winter nations, they stand a bigger chance of grabbing something which you can't in FIFA's baby.
FIFA has more power than the IOC. The Olympics are slowly dieing, people don't want to watch them, they're boring, no one remembers who won gold medals, no one remembers who came first, no one really cares. With football on the other hand, people remember who won the world cup in 1966, 1930 etc etc. The global audience for football is growing and growing rapidly as football becomes more and more prominent within Asia. But scandals such as this will not help the game or more accurately FIFA get lucrative sponsors. Sony is currently considering it's sponsorship arrangements with FIFA after the 2014 world cup, these kind of scandals mean FIFA's sponsorship revenue base will be hit and companies will use it as a bargaining tool for future world cups, even if the worldwide audience continues to increase. If companies see FIFA as some politically weak, corrupt and ultimately irrelevant organisation which doesn't support their ideals then they will withdraw their funds and more than likely go back to other sporting events for their advertising. As someone at Sony said we are currently sponsoring the game not FIFA, we market ourselves as world cup sponsors not FIFA sponsors. If FIFA refuses to act more sternly right here, right now then more than likely the likes of Sony etc will walk away from future events, regardless of the events pulling power, which I can in no way see diminishing. But the point is it was more vital for the IOC to act on these kind of disgraceful charges as compared to FIFA, as FIFA has a growing product, that people actually like and remember as compared to the IOC.

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 5th, 2010 at 04:38 AM.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #8144
MysteryMike
BANNED

JOHANNESBURG, Nov 4 (Reuters) - Danny Jordaan, the man responsible for organising the last World Cup, is now seeking to sit on the all-powerful FIFA committee that decides, among other things, where future World Cups will be played.

The 59-year-old South African administrator, whose term as chief executive officer of the 2010 World Cup Organising Committee ends next month, has been nominated by his country for a post on the FIFA executive committee, the 24-man inner cabinet that runs the game and takes all its major decisions.

"The World Cup profile is a big help," said Jordaan, who intends lobbying across the continent in the next months.

"It is important for me that Africa feels I can make a contribution," he told Reuters.

Two of Africa's four positions on the FIFA executive committee come up for re-election in February, one of them held by Nigerian Amos Adamu, who world football's governing body provisionally suspended last month.

Adamu was caught in a newspaper sting seeking money for his vote in next month's upcoming on where the 2018 and 2022 World Cups will be held.

The other African berth up for re-election is held by Jacques Anouma, president of the Ivorian Football Federation, who has not yet made public whether he will seek another four-year term.

Adamu is expected to try to hold on to his post if he is not expelled by FIFA, whose ethics committee will decide on his future this month.

Nominations for the posts close on Nov. 23, three months before the election at the Confederation of African Football congress in Khartoum, Sudan. Jordaan is the first to make his candidacy public.

His experience in football administration, dating back more than two decades, and the successful organising of the World Cup will be key parts of his election campaign.

Jordaan said he had had a surge of support from African football associations and says he is confident of winning a place on the FIFA executive as well as the CAF executive.

Traditionally, administrators seeking to work their way up to the FIFA committee serve time first as members of the CAF executive, but Jordaan is attempting both at the same time.

A former history teacher and Parliamentarian, Jordaan almost single-handedly ran South Africa's two World Cup bid campaigns before taking over the organisation of the 2010 finals.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/arti...eeks-fifa-post
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #8145
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

I've actually met him. He is great and knows most of what there is to know in terms of FIFA requirements, but adds a reality check/human touch to those requirements.

As I've said before, he has been attending/inspecting World Cups since 1994 in USA, when the 2010 FIFA WC started, was an official observer at 1 or 2 world cups, and delivered an exceptional WC in South Africa
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #8146
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

So, I'm wondering what will all the training facilities be like?
Solopop no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #8147
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
For whose bid?
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #8148
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

All.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #8149
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:

The US is using all of the MLS stadiums.
mattec no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #8150
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

ffs wheres da cooling teknologie!
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #8151
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
The US is using all of the MLS stadiums.
The US is basically just going to give a ton of options. There are the MLS stadiums in some cities, there are MLS teams' practice fields as well and the college's all around the country provide tons and tons of possible practice fields in every city. It will be up to the teams in the tournament on whether they want a smaller, secluded college, all the MLS facilities, stadiums, whatever they want. The teams will be able to pick the kind of training facility they want.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #8152
MysteryMike
BANNED

England has the best facilities of them all, premier league club facilities, championship club facilities etc etc, there just is no shortage of places to practice.
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #8153
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
The US is basically just going to give a ton of options. There are the MLS stadiums in some cities, there are MLS teams' practice fields as well and the college's all around the country provide tons and tons of possible practice fields in every city. It will be up to the teams in the tournament on whether they want a smaller, secluded college, all the MLS facilities, stadiums, whatever they want. The teams will be able to pick the kind of training facility they want.
This will be true with many of the bids.Its no good just supplying 32 options because as we saw in South Africa,(with many teams choosing altitude as the determining factor for location)the teams will have different ideas than you might expect

Its highly likely that most teams would fly in for the match only if it were held in Doha,robbing the World Cup of much of its atmosphere
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #8154
DenilsonUK

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
All.
Proposed training facilities for the teams playing in Sunderland, one of the host cities in the England 2018 bid.

Stadium of Light, Sunderland

Academy of Light, Sunderland

Rockliffe Park Training Ground, County Durham

Darlington Arena, Darlington

Victoria Park, Hartlepool

Brunton Park, Carlisle

Riverside County Cricket Ground, Durham

I imagine it'll be a pretty similar setup for the other host cities?
DenilsonUK no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #8155
MysteryMike
BANNED

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 6th, 2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old November 6th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #8156
RahalInter

OK my opinion everyone has a good bid. Regarding 2018 England have a strong bid, with Russia not far behind. Belgium/Netherlands looks interesting while my least favorite is Spain/ Portugal I think Spain should have went solo on that + with recent allegations I don't want them to get the hosting rights. 2022 meanwhile Australia seem to have a solid bid, Qatar is very interesting and creative but like the Iberian bid they have had troubles regarding corruption or whatever the others mentioned. USA look boring they already had hosted it before so I really don't want them to have it again. Japan and Korea both have hosted it aswell quite recently so there is a very little chance they are going to win. So after saying this, my vote would go to either, England, Russia, or Belgium//Netherlands for 2018 and Australia for 2022. If Australia doesn't win then I think Qatar should get it.
RahalInter no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #8157
AndreasBerlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahalInter View Post
OK my opinion everyone has a good bid. Regarding 2018 England have a strong bid, with Russia not far behind. Belgium/Netherlands looks interesting while my least favorite is Spain/ Portugal I think Spain should have went solo on that + with recent allegations I don't want them to get the hosting rights. 2022 meanwhile Australia seem to have a solid bid, Qatar is very interesting and creative but like the Iberian bid they have had troubles regarding corruption or whatever the others mentioned. USA look boring they already had hosted it before so I really don't want them to have it again. Japan and Korea both have hosted it aswell quite recently so there is a very little chance they are going to win. So after saying this, my vote would go to either, England, Russia, or Belgium//Netherlands for 2018 and Australia for 2022. If Australia doesn't win then I think Qatar should get it.
That is a fair analysis. It think the same
AndreasBerlin no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #8158
Gondolier

/\ Well, I don't think the 22 Exec Board members will agree with that. And that's really all that matters.
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #8159
RahalInter

Quote:
/\ Well, I don't think the 22 Exec Board members will agree with that. And that's really all that matters.
I'm a supporter of the Australian bid since half of my blood is Australian, though I really don't think my opinion is biased, I personally think Australia is actually the favorite for 2022. I understand if you think differently, everyone has opinions, I just dont want USA or Spain/Portugal to get the rights to host 2022 and 2018 WC's respectively.
RahalInter no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #8160
_X_

Quote:
They will actually
_X_ no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup