daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 20th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #8501
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
We've been saying that for some time.With 75% of the globe in our timezone it represents incredible power for FIFAs sponsors,many who are Asian.And with the spiralling growth of the middle classes in these massive dynamic economies FIFA will become increasingly reliant on the income the Asia will offer.Eventually every 3rd World Cup will be played in Asia,as it matures,just because of its wealth
Yeah, but so what? Will the Chinese, Indian and Japanese teams ALL qualify and even PLAY those favorable times? That's about as certain as a rainbow turning to rock!!

#1 - Forget India. They are more interested in cricket and field hockey.

#2 - China? It's been proven that they only watch if their team is on. Once the Chinese team is eliminated, the NUMBERS drop OFF Dramatically.

#3 - Japan? Well, they are running, too you know.

So now, you guys are overriding the Evaluation's conclusion that a WC in OZ really MEANS a significant LOSS in European and North American TV revenues. So you think you know more than FIFA's experts? Dream on. You can't fool all the people ALL the time, ya know!!
Gondolier no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:11 AM   #8502
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Yeah, but so what? Will the Chinese, Indian and Japanese teams ALL qualify and even PLAY those favorable times? That's about as certain as a rainbow turning to rock!!

#2 - China? It's been proven that they only watch if their team is on. Once the Chinese team is eliminated, the NUMBERS drop OFF Dramatically.

So now, you guys are overriding the Evaluation's conclusion that a WC in OZ really MEANS a significant LOSS in European and North American TV revenues. So you think you know more than FIFA's experts? Dream on. You can't fool all the people ALL the time, ya know!!
Not really worthy of a response.You're particularly dismissive of the power that Asia is building-through the middle classes as massive amounts of these people become large consumers for the first time.2014 is the tipping point,more flights will carry people in Asia than anywhere else.It is a grand century ahead for Asia,I'm just glad Australia is in the region to enjoy the absolute boom times that we do at the moment with extremely low unemployment,low debt etc.
We know a FIFA World Cup in Australasia is in good hands with 12 years to go-for peace of mind,for security,for ratings ,for sponsor value
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:23 AM   #8503
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Not really worthy of a response.You're particularly dismissive of the power that Asia is building-through the middle classes as massive amounts of these people become large consumers for the first time.2014 is the tipping point,more flights will carry people in Asia than anywhere else.It is a grand century ahead for Asia,I'm just glad Australia is in the region to enjoy the absolute boom times that we do at the moment with extremely low unemployment,low debt etc.
If you are so concerned about the legacy of Asian soccer, then you should actually host it IN ASIA. The links you're making between Australia and Asia are very thin at best and almost entirely based on time zone. It would be like Americans trying to claim that a World Cup in Brazil would be beneficial for development in USA soccer. The benefit of a World Cup in a place like China, India, or Indonesia would have much greater ancillary and long-term value for FIFA. If FIFA is trying to spur infrastructural development and grassroots interest in soccer in one of those burgeoning middle-class Asian countries you mention, hosting it in Australia won't accomplish nearly as much as you're making it out to be.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:52 AM   #8504
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Actually you are wrong on China - they love watching the world cup, esp for the marquee teams like Brazil, Spain, Argentina and so on.

Mentioned on another thread, I was over there for 2010 WC and the town we were in was obsessed.
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:54 AM   #8505
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
If you are so concerned about the legacy of Asian soccer, then you should actually host it IN ASIA. The links you're making between Australia and Asia are very thin at best and almost entirely based on time zone. It would be like Americans trying to claim that a World Cup in Brazil would be beneficial for development in USA soccer. The benefit of a World Cup in a place like China, India, or Indonesia would have much greater ancillary and long-term value for FIFA. If FIFA is trying to spur infrastructural development and grassroots interest in soccer in one of those burgeoning middle-class Asian countries you mention, hosting it in Australia won't accomplish nearly as much as you're making it out to be.
Well I'm sorry you haven't read our evaluation report which clearly shows massive legacy to Asia.I was quite stunned while reading it last night just how comprehensive it is.
It must irk you guys I know but its too bad.You'll witness 5 World Cups in the Americas in your lifetime-minimum.I just want a single chance in my continent
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:06 AM   #8506
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Well I'm sorry you haven't read our evaluation report which clearly shows massive legacy to Asia.I was quite stunned while reading it last night just how comprehensive it is.
It must irk you guys I know but its too bad.You'll witness 5 World Cups in the Americas in your lifetime-minimum.I just want a single chance in my continent
I have read the report. It simply regurgitates the POTENTIAL for legacy based on arguments submitted in the Australian bid book, but it doesn't PROVE the legacy. Overall, it's not a very sound argument, because it's highly speculative. I also read that television revenue generated by a World Cup in Australia instead of Europe or North America is expected to be a much worse proposition for FIFA financially.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:26 AM   #8507
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
Actually you are wrong on China - they love watching the world cup, esp for the marquee teams like Brazil, Spain, Argentina and so on.

Mentioned on another thread, I was over there for 2010 WC and the town we were in was obsessed.
Well then, maybe FIFA will be reserving 2026 for China when as, slipperydog noted, why NOT hold it on ACTUAL Asian soil? Not some ancillary land that is riding on an Asian 'apronstring' just to bolster its 25 million market??

Last edited by Gondolier; November 21st, 2010 at 05:29 AM.
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:40 AM   #8508
Shambolic
BANNED

Then again, maybe they're not.
Shambolic no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:50 AM   #8509
T74

Quote:
Well then, maybe FIFA will be reserving 2026 for China when as, slipperydog noted, why NOT hold it on ACTUAL Asian soil? Not some ancillary land that is riding on an Asian 'apron' just to bolster its 25 million market??
Beijing needs to put its hand up, and so far despite the FA doing so twice, Beijing has been silent.

Still issues with corruption, and the national team just had another shocker

until these two issues are sorted, I don't think Beijing will be eager to put Chinese football on the world stage
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:08 AM   #8510
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
China 2026.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:28 AM   #8511
Gondolier

Quote:
Beijing needs to put its hand up, and so far despite the FA doing so twice, Beijing has been silent.

Still issues with corruption, and the national team just had another shocker

until these two issues are sorted, I don't think Beijing will be eager to put Chinese football on the world stage
Why should they say anything now? #1 - Their team is not yet up to snuff; #2 - they'll know when to speak up...and that would be at about 2016...two years before the 2026-30 hosts will be picked; and they know it will be Asia's turn in 2026!!
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:30 AM   #8512
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambolic View Post

Then again, maybe they're not.
Then again, IT MIGHT JUST BE!! I mean c'mon, 25 million vs. 1.5 billion (by 2026). FIFA would be the stupidest organization in the world to pick a 25-million setting like Australia.
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:39 AM   #8513
T74

Quote:
Why should they say anything now? #1 - Their team is not yet up to snuff; #2 - they'll know when to speak up...and that would be at about 2016...two years before the 2026-30 hosts will be picked; and they know it will be Asia's turn in 2026!!
they need to speak now to make sure Qatar or Australia don't win so they can for 2026

if they leave it in the hands of the gods, and one of them wins, they have to wait till 2034

since when did China do anything that left its fate in the hands of others? If China wanted 2026, they would be moving to kill any chance of AFC getting 2022 without fail
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:39 AM   #8514
_X_

Quote:
Then again, IT MIGHT JUST BE!! I mean c'mon, 25 million vs. 1.5 billion (by 2026). FIFA would be the stupidest organization in the world to pick a 25-million setting like Australia.
2022-4,829,000,000 v 1,044,000,000
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:41 AM   #8515
_X_

Quote:
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:42 AM   #8516
Gondolier

Quote:
they need to speak now to make sure Qatar or Australia don't win so they can for 2026
They won't. China knows that.
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:43 AM   #8517
Shambolic
BANNED

Quote:
Then again, maybe not... You're making shit up now.
Shambolic no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:43 AM   #8518
Gondolier

Quote:
Different. The O's are (basically) a one-city affair. The WCs are a NATIONAL (i.e., at least 9 cities) effort. God help ya if you can't see the difference.
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:44 AM   #8519
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambolic View Post
Then again, maybe not... You're making shit up now.
Then again, IT MIGHT JUST BE.

You're sh*tting in your pants now. :wink:
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:52 AM   #8520
T74

Quote:
They won't. China knows that.
have you looked at how Beijing works lately? They don't often leave things to occur because they think it will

just look how they have handled the whole situation with Japan recently. Everyone knew Japan would eventually release the ships captain, but Beijing kept the pressure on until it happened.

if Beijing wants something, it makes sure it happens, it doesn't leave it to chance
T74 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup