daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 21st, 2010, 08:04 AM   #8521
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
have you looked at how Beijing works lately? They don't often leave things to occur because they think it will

just look how they have handled the whole situation with Japan recently. Everyone knew Japan would eventually release the ships captain, but Beijing kept the pressure on until it happened.

if Beijing wants something, it makes sure it happens, it doesn't leave it to chance
Then how don't we know that China isn't working behind the scenes to set the stage for a China 2026??
Gondolier no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:27 AM   #8522
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Then how don't we know that China isn't working behind the scenes to set the stage for a China 2026??
don't think China plays that way any more

few years ago, definitely, would have played the game the same way most countries do (including my own)

now though, China is on the verge of becoming a super-power. when it wants the WC, it will tell the world (just like the USA used to do with this kind of stuff)

thats the way it played it with the USA on the IMF. gave up SFA in terms of appreciating the value of the yuan or reducing the surplus, but still got what it wanted. Same with Japan and the dispute over the territorial violation by one of its captains.

no idea when China will jump re: hosting a WC, but when they do I don't think we will be wondering

if USA win 2022, I'd put money on them bidding for 2026 ONLY if they can clean up the local league and get their team winning games in the next 4-6 years. Given the bidding is becoming more and more transparent, I cannot see Beijing wanting to go throw a 2-3 year public review process unless they have green lights all the way.

The corruption of the local comp will raise massive questions. As for the team performance, its not a deal breaker, but I personally cannot see China wanting to go ahead unless it can have a decent shot of making it past the group stage. To put their current performances in perspective, my wife reckons they would have lost to Haiti too
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:34 AM   #8523
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Given the bidding is becoming more and more transparent, I cannot see Beijing wanting to go throw a 2-3 year public review process unless they have green lights all the way.
Transparent? Hardly. Wishful thinking bud, take off the Aussie-tinted glasses. If China wants to host it, FIFA will tell everyone else to piss off.

Quote:
As for the team performance, its not a deal breaker, but I personally cannot see China wanting to go ahead unless it can have a decent shot of making it past the group stage. To put their current performances in perspective, my wife reckons they would have lost to Haiti too
What does current form have to do with anything? The bidding on 2026 won't start for another 12 years, at least. Plenty of time for China to become more established, maybe with a couple more World Cup group stages.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:41 AM   #8524
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Transparent? Hardly. Wishful thinking bud, take off the Aussie-tinted glasses. If China wants to host it, FIFA will tell everyone else to piss off.

What does current form have to do with anything? The bidding on 2026 won't start for another 12 years, at least. Plenty of time for China to become more established, maybe with a couple more World Cup group stages.
Transparent in that this is the first time they have ever publicly released the tech reports on each of the bids (and they were only originally intending to release the summary - which shows much much things have changed).

The genie is out of the bottle now, and this kind of info disclosure is not going to become lesser moving forward.

As for rose coloured glasses, you obviously have missed the posts were I've been called a maggot here because while I'm Australian I actually respect the USA bid as a bloody good one, I think you are clear favourites for the 2022 vote, and that as a betting man I would be backing you guys to win this. I also have us going out possibly before Qatar, and have posted this previously.

I try to be objective and post my thoughts as honestly as possible - not some nationalistic trolling tripe, but thanks for putting me in that bucket.
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:45 AM   #8525
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
As for rose coloured glasses, you obviously have missed the posts were I've been called a maggot here because while I'm Australian I actually respect the USA bid as a bloody good one, I think you are clear favourites for the 2022 vote, and that as a betting man I would be backing you guys to win this. I also have us going out possibly before Qatar, and have posted this previously.

I try to be objective and post my thoughts as honestly as possible - not some nationalistic trolling tripe, but thanks for putting me in that bucket.
Forgive me, I didn't see your screen name. You are a very fair-minded and unbiased poster. I figured it was more of the usual trash we get from the Aussies on here. That said, I still think it is wishful thinking for China not to have the World Cup in the back of their minds, and FIFA to likewise.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:56 AM   #8526
T74

Quote:
Forgive me, I didn't see your screen name. You are a very fair-minded and unbiased poster. I figured it was more of the usual trash we get from the Aussies on here. That said, I still think it is wishful thinking for China not to have the World Cup in the back of their minds, and FIFA to likewise.
no issue mate.

I actually agree its on the agenda, just a question of timing

personally I think FIFA would prefer sooner rather than later, its China that may delay.

They dominated the Olympics, have won half the gold on offer at the Asian Games, IMO if they host a WC they will not want to go out in straight sets. Thats okay for nations like Australia or South Africa, but I cannot see China stomaching it.

The turn-around of the team is a massive issue. They have thrown money at development, the local league pays the players a good dollar, yet they have actually gone backwards. Whatever reforms need to occur will not be easy fixes unfortunately (they have already tried the new coach thing a couple of times without success).

To be fair though, the corruption of the local comp is the bigger issue IMO. I think they may take the punt on the team improving if the juniors are looking good, but not until the local issues are sorted.

Let me underline though, its a matter of WHEN they host. These problems will take time, but they are not insurmountable, and I know Beijing is working hard to sort both out.
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:22 AM   #8527
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:

Unfortunately for you and others,its comments like this that prove certain things
Makes it very hard when you're actually discussing in a far more advanced environment elsewhere and then .......
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:14 AM   #8528
Shambolic
BANNED

Quote:
Then again, IT MIGHT JUST BE.

You're sh*tting in your pants now. :wink:
Lol doubt it. Whatever happens, life goes on. Clearly not for some though.
Shambolic no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:35 AM   #8529
RahalInter

What does population have to do wit anything??

South Africa had less population than Egypt but still hosted a good World Cup?

+ China can't play football they aint good, at least SA gave a fight I dont think China would.

Anyways my point is as usual....AUS for 2022!!! 3 other bidders hosted the world cup while Qatar has alot of problems dealing wit corruption and all that.

And by the way AFL, NRL and FFA announced a memorandum of understanding that their seasons will continue if they get hosting rights, so problem solved.

AUS has a safe bid, a new bid, and will have a legacy that will combine not just Asia but also Oceania for a once in a lifetime experience of unity and will increase the strength of their football there, just look at what Korea/Japan did in 2002, now teams from Asia are being more competitive, both Korea and Japan passed the group stage this year and AUS didn't fare bad considering there extremely tough group.

Middle East football is getting worse, all representatives of Asia at the world cup were from the East, even Korea DPR passed but none of the strong middle eastern nations (Saudi Arabia, Iran, Bahrain and [especially since they brag about winning the bid]
Qatar) qualified, SHAME!

AUS for 2022 and that's final!!! We have a strong, solid bid that provides a legacy and guarantees no problems, and even if it does, we will be able to conquer them (besides time zone, that is everyone's problem in 2022 regarding Europe :P).
RahalInter no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:22 PM   #8530
_X_

Actually Western Asia where Qatar are only accounts for just over 5% of Asia's projected population for 2022
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:29 PM   #8531
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Different. The O's are (basically) a one-city affair. The WCs are a NATIONAL (i.e., at least 9 cities) effort. God help ya if you can't see the difference.
Qatar bid (Doha Bid )
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM   #8532
_X_

You're a good sport 333
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:37 PM   #8533
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
You're a good sport 333
11 Days and 1 Hour left for decision

I wonder if any discussion is worth it now.
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:48 PM   #8534
waqif
BANNED

there very strong chance England to win 2018 and if this happen it is progeny Australia can't win 2022 becouse FIFA care about dissemination of football around world parts and othere competitors waiting.

Australia bidding now as Asian country located in East of Asia which already hosted the world cup 8 years ago and it is very hard to bring the world cup there again while west of Aisa & middle east never hosted the world cup.

some Australians says oceana never hosted world cup i agree with this and it is need long process becouse they need to withdrawal from 2022 and bid as oceana country and this of course after FIFA released oceana from suspend.

Last edited by waqif; November 21st, 2010 at 04:18 PM.
waqif no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM   #8535
RobH

Likes (Received): 10322

I don't see any reason why England 2018 rules out Australia 2022. Two different countries in completely different timezones, one a powerhouse in the continent where the Game is strongest, the other a brand new host for the world cup, both capable of hosting world class sporting events.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:56 PM   #8536
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahalInter View Post
What does population have to do wit anything??
Duh! Who will buy the tickets? Who will buy the mascots, the souvenirs, the T-shirts, etc., that will pay for the event? WHo will man the venues and the operations? Duh!

Not unless you want every citizen to be TAXED directly to pay for the event? If INDIA could not fill its recent Commonwealth Games venues, then what more a 25 million market vs. a 310-million market (the USA)?
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 07:44 PM   #8537
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

How ever did the World Cup sell tickets before USA '94?

Mate thats piss poor reasoning linking Dehli's Commonwealth games with a WC hosted by Australia. Don't you worry about poor little Australia, we can save our pennies for tickets.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:06 PM   #8538
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Benelux/Russia 2018 & Qatar 2022 !!!

(Edit: Doha 2022 *** FIXED)
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:31 PM   #8539
T74

Quote:
Duh! Who will buy the tickets? Who will buy the mascots, the souvenirs, the T-shirts, etc., that will pay for the event? WHo will man the venues and the operations? Duh!

Not unless you want every citizen to be TAXED directly to pay for the event? If INDIA could not fill its recent Commonwealth Games venues, then what more a 25 million market vs. a 310-million market (the USA)?
you are talking two very different sporting markets there

while I can put my hand up and say I never saw a single CWG event in 2006, just about every one in my family and a high number of friends went

even though I was in Melbourne, I still have "fond" memories of standing in queue for 4 hours to buy tickets to the baseball for my boss

just like I'll whack anyone who says a deficiency of the USA bid is is stadium (I still cannot believe some try to argue this), one of the few things you cannot belt the AU bid over is its peoples history of rocking up to international sport
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:56 AM   #8540
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Benelux/Russia 2018 & Qatar 2022 !!!

(Edit: Doha 2022 *** FIXED)
You can't start barracking for two other bids with 2 weeks to go.You guys are absolutely linked with Spain
_X_ no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup