daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:15 AM   #8561
japanese001

Likes (Received): 707

Australia
japanese001 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:15 AM   #8562
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Joint India/Indonesia bid You and Gondolier are on some serious crack. FIFA has to develop both China and India's football markets before they are able to even comprehend hosting a world cup, how can they achieve this?
Sixteen years is a long time. There is much work to be done, but if the political and economic will-power is there, India and Indonesia are certainly capable of being ready to host a fine tournament by then. And as you said yourself, middle class growth and economic development in that region is expected to explode in that time frame. Seems like a perfect marriage.

Quote:
2018 bad time zone again, FIFA can't ignore Asia for five consecutive world cups and hope to develop the game in both of these Asian giants.
You just finished arguing that Asians will watch at any time of day. "Since then Asia has become the biggest viewing audience for the world cup consistently and they are growing." So which is it?

Last edited by slipperydog; November 22nd, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:31 AM   #8563
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Sixteen years is a long time. There is much work to be done, but if the political and economic will-power is there, India and Indonesia are certainly capable of being ready to host a fine tournament by then. And as you said yourself, middle class growth and economic development in that region is expected to explode in that time frame. Seems like a perfect marriage.

You just finished arguing that Asians will watch at any time of day. "Since then Asia has become the biggest viewing audience for the world cup consistently and they are growing." So which is it?
That is the most ridiculous combined bid in history. Have you even looked at a world map at all in your life. I know you Americans are seriously behind the eight ball but that is just plain embarrassing for everyone concerned. As I said if FIFA wants to host a world cup in China or India, they have to develop the football of these 2 nations and the best way to do it, is to show the world cup in prime time within Asia in 2022. There is no other way, football has to be seen to care about Asia and kids who will become the next batch of stars shouldn't have to watch games at 3 or 5 am in the morning. Asia is the biggest audience of viewers for the World Cup, it's a known FACT, but Asia has so much more potential for FIFA and FIFA knows this, Australia will give that perfect time zone for Asia and will be a much safer option to host a world cup compared to the other nations bidding. This will be at a time when Asia will have 70% of the world's population as well so the numbers stack up for Australia, no matter what anyone says.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:43 AM   #8564
slipperydog

Quote:
That is the most ridiculous combined bid in history. Have you even looked at a world map at all in your life. I know you Americans are seriously behind the eight ball but that is just plain embarrassing for everyone concerned.
Pathetic flame attempt. If you watched the World Cup in 2002, you would know that it operated as two completely separate tournaments. So if China doesn't show interest in 2026, a joint India/Indonesia bid is certainly in the realm of possibility if they don't choose to pursue their own individual bids. But 6 and 6 is certainly an option if they can't pull off all 12 cities by themselves.

Quote:
Asia is the biggest audience of viewers for the World Cup, it's a known FACT
Could you post these statistics? I'm genuinely curious to see how far Asian soccer has come. Keep in mind though, television ratings =/ television revenue.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:52 AM   #8565
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
Shadow over World Cup bids Source: AFP

GENEVA: England and Australia's bids to host football's World Cup in 2018 and 2022 may suffer from clashes with local sports events, including tennis at Wimbledon and Australian rugby league, FIFA indicated.
Football will bring more revenue to the Australians...

I would like to see the 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cup going Australias way...
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:04 PM   #8566
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
These things can be calculated exponentially. And it's NOT like Oz is going to ALL OF A SUDDEN absorb 75 million Chinese refugees who will then watch all 64 Games of a 2022 World Cup.

Now, would a Ghana v. Paraguay first-round game in Perth really sell out? Hey, I got a bridge in the San Francisco Bay Area to sell ya.
Don't talk about my home town like that!
Seriously yes I do believe Ghana v Paraguay in Perth would sell out.
Be it Trinidad & Tobago vs Slovenia then probably not in a Perth Stadium planned capacity of 60/70 000.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:10 PM   #8567
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Pathetic flame attempt. If you watched the World Cup in 2002, you would know that it operated as two completely separate tournaments. So if China doesn't show interest in 2026, a joint India/Indonesia bid is certainly in the realm of possibility if they don't choose to pursue their own individual bids. But 6 and 6 is certainly an option if they can't pull off all 12 cities by themselves.

Could you post these statistics? I'm genuinely curious to see how far Asian soccer has come. Keep in mind though, television ratings =/ television revenue.
Like I said look at a global map, it isn't feasible at all geographically as I said. Besides India and Indonesia are far lower ranked than even Qatar, how they hope to garner any attention without the growth in football that a prime time hosting of a world cup within their region can achieve I doubt you have any answers for. That is why Australia will host the 2022 edition. The Asian market has missed out for far too long. They have clearly shown they are also the most dedicated football audience watching games at the most ridiculous of times for the last 2 world cups and also Brazil 2014 and Europe (hopefully England) 2018 will be the same story. That's four world cups in a row where your biggest audience and largest growing market have been screwed. By 2022, this is even more of an issue with 70% of the world's population being based in Asia.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:22 PM   #8568
slipperydog

This is exactly what I expected. So based on your numbers from the last Asian World Cup in 2002, despite the fact that 70% of the world's population resides in Asia, they still couldn't get more viewers than the Americas, Europe, and Africa? That's pretty pathetic.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM   #8569
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
This is exactly what I expected. So based on your numbers from the last Asian World Cup in 2002, despite the fact that 70% of the world's population resides in Asia, they still couldn't get more viewers than the Americas, Europe, and Africa? That's pretty pathetic.
2002 they didn't have 70% of the world's population, it's in 2022 that Asia will have 70% of the population. But the numbers don't lie, the largest audience for the world cup is in Asia and football has developed since then and they will get absolutely massive audiences in Asia for 2022. Australia will set that up beautifully with their available time zones By doing this FIFA can develop the football within China, India/other markets in Asia and get them ready to host a world cup and cater to their biggest audience after making them suffer for 4 consecutive world cups.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:41 PM   #8570
T74

Likes (Received): 1

do you have the viewing numbers for 2010?
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:06 PM   #8571
slipperydog

Quote:
2002 they didn't have 70% of the world's population, it's in 2022 that Asia will have 70% of the population.
You're right. My mistake, Asia only had 60% of the world's population in 2002. So using your own numbers, the viewership for an Asian-friendly World Cup in 2002 was as follows:

Asian population: 60%
Asian viewership: 11,157,368

Americas/Africa population: 27%
Americas/Africa viewership: 9,983,164

Africa and the Americas nearly matched their television ratings back in 2002. So like I said, that's a pretty lame effort from Asia given their drastic population and time-zone advantage. But even if Asia had 80% of the world's population by 2022 and could 'guarantee' higher viewership than their shambolic effort in 2002, FIFA still can't garner as high television revenues than if they host it in North America or Europe.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:15 PM   #8572
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

You're forgetting the massive growth in the Asian middle class between 2002 and now let alone 2022.

Last edited by Walbanger; November 22nd, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:24 PM   #8573
slipperydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
You're forgettinghte massive growth in the Asian middle class between 2002 and now let alone 2022.
Of course, but negotiations with television partners begin way before then. If you read the reports, FIFA was pretty clear about this deficiency, which proves everything we've been saying for months about the weakness of the Asian market for television revenues.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:27 PM   #8574
Shambolic
BANNED

Apparently it was reported on The World Game show that Sepp Blatter has been advising delegates to not vote for Qatar 2022.
Shambolic no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:43 PM   #8575
RobH

Likes (Received): 10325

That's not on and feel I bad for Qatar in some ways. Despite their bid's technical deficiences they've got this far and deserve neutrality from the head of FIFA if they're innocent of vote rigging charges. If they're not innocent nor is this the right the way of dealing with it.

Would it make more sense for FIFA to have a shortlist like the IOC, rather than encouraging bids like Qatar's publically till the end only to denigrate them privately?
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:52 PM   #8576
carnage_joe

Quote:
I don't see the point here. FIFA wont be making judgements on viewership per capita. They would only care about total viewers as this would rake in the sponsorship $$$. The 2002 Asian world cup was clearly the most watched. In fact the ~3 billion cumulative viewer increase (half the total European viewership alone) came mostly from a ~3 billion increase from Asian viewers. It seems that if FIFA want the biggest market (ie Asia) to watch World Cups then they should be in the Asian timezone/confederation.
carnage_joe no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:53 PM   #8577
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
That's not on and feel I bad for Qatar in some ways. Despite their bid's technical deficiences they've got this far and deserve neutrality from the head of FIFA if they're innocent of vote rigging charges. If they're not innocent nor is this the right the way of dealing with it.

Would it make more sense for FIFA to have a shortlist like the IOC, rather than encouraging bids like Qatar's publically till the end only to denigrate them privately?
agree on the shortlist

as for Qatar, its live by the sword, die by the sword for me. they stitched up a backroom deal to trade votes, and are lucky to have gotten away with it. if they get hit by the karma bus by a backroom deal de-railing them, so be it
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:41 PM   #8578
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:

I think a joint India/Indonesia bid in the vain of 2002 would be fantastic and very feasible by 2026.
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:44 PM   #8579
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambolic View Post
Apparently it was reported on The World Game show that Sepp Blatter has been advising delegates to not vote for Qatar 2022.
Posted this in the OZ thread but no one noticed

Meanwhile , FIFA president Sepp Blatter is in Brazil for a meeting with the three South American ExCo members.

Blatter, who doesn’t want Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup, will be doing all he can to persuade them not to be part of a Spain 2018-Qatar vote-trading alliance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...#ixzz160hRTlBu

I know he was due to go to Brazil anyway re 2014
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:57 PM   #8580
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Well, good luck for him =) I see he targeted the areas the bid lobbied (Brazil, Argentina)
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup