daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #841
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

[QUOTE=JimB]Hooliganism?

What's the relevance of that?

Firstly, England fans have generally behaved well in recent times, despite travelling in enormous numbers. Secondly, when English fans have behaved badly in the past, it has generally been when abroad.

Security?

Britain's police force is among the most experienced in the world at providing security for big events.QUOTE]

British police or any for that matter cannot prevent terrorist atacks and unfortunately Britain will always be a target. Hooliganism exists in England, more evident overseas because England hasn't held any football tournament for the past years. And english fans have proved in this world cup to be bad loosers.
This is more important than stadiums- we're talking security for all fans here!!!! As for quality, I wasn't obviously refering to the stadiums but to quality of life - with a possible terrorist attack on England always being a possibility, this leaves everyone stressed up.

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #842
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1158

Portugal should host the World Diving Championships
Quintana no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:19 PM   #843
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintana

but seriously, Portugal's stadiums don't even get filled regularly at present with the "relatively" big stadiums they built for euro2004. i just cant see portugal handling any bigger stadiums in their country which will surely be white elephants.
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #844
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Don't most soccer games not get filled presently?

USA 2014 or 2022. Don't sleep.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #845
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder
^

Canada needs to start qualifying for World Cups in the ridiculously easy North American zone.

With 3.5 slots it is not exactly difficult in comparison to most other zones.
So? Australia has only qualified twice and Canada once and hopefully again, but
even if you qualify and win all you wantt, it doesn't mean your gunna host a WC.

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #846
malek
www.mtlurb.com

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintana

hahahahahahaahahhaah

Anyways, its intresting that no heard that the 2014 was awarded to South America in 2003, and that unanimously the South American Federation voted Brazil to host it.

from wikipedia:
Quote:
The 2014 FIFA World Cup will provisionally take place in Brazil. On March 7, 2003 FIFA announced that the cup would be held in South America for the first time since Argentina hosted the 1978 FIFA World Cup, in line with its policy of rotating the right to host the World Cup amongst different confederations.

On June 3, 2003 the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) announced that Argentina, Brazil and Colombia wanted to host the 2014 World Cup finals.[1] The final decision as to hosting will be made sometime in 2008. If Brazil is deemed not to be a viable candidate in accordance with FIFA regulations, the competition may be held in North America or Asia. Other possible bids include a joint Argentina/Chile bid or one from Australia.
so its gonna be:

2010: South Africa
2014: Brazil
2018: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup
malek no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #847
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Portugals only chance is IMHO with a joint bid with Spain which itself seems rather unlikely. The Spainish will likely have the stadiums to host it themselves and joint bids are obviously not favoured, the only plus for them I could think of would be that an Iberian WC could covince FIFA to give them a second one before England(as you could argue a united Germany did for 06).
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #848
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 7958

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo
There are 4 continents playing soccer.
and only two that win anything at soccer
AcesHigh no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #849
martien

Likes (Received): 3

what about Mexico 2014?
martien no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #850
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo2004
British police or any for that matter cannot prevent terrorist atacks and unfortunately Britain will always be a target. Hooliganism exists in England, more evident overseas because England hasn't held any football tournament for the past years. And english fans have proved in this world cup to be bad loosers.
we're talking security for all fans here!!!! As for quality, I wasn't obviously refering to the stadiums but to quality of life - with a possible terrorist attack on England always being a possibility, this leaves everyone stressed up.
Ok, for one thing, there have been thousands of arrests at this world cup, and about 350 of those have been English, mainly just a few drunken idiots throwing chairs and whatnot...so don't preach some stereotypical bullshit about England fans being the only ones who cause trouble.

And, please, lets not forget (I'll remind you if you've forgotten), England is one of the few countries that doesn't have to have huge fences up in thier football stadiums to keep out the fans from invading the pitch! Spain and in particular Italy have waaaaaaayyyyyyy more incidents of fan violence and disruption in their league matches then the Premiership does, which is why it is one of the most respected leagues in the world! It might have slipped your notice mate, but when was the last time you heard reports of mass racism in English football (as there is in Spain) or reports of fashism and corrption (as there is in Italy)...?? English football has made massive progress over the years thanks to campaigns by the FA and some media groups, and it is now a lot safer and fairer playing in England then in any other European nation!

And as JimB has already pointed out, security is also taken more seriously then just about any other nation you could care to mention, and there are a great deal of highly trianed poilcemen in England and many other forces which you don't even see which keep the fans and the rest of the nation safe and under controll...so this bollox about security issues is...well...bollox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo2004
As for quality, I wasn't obviously refering to the stadiums but to quality of life - with a possible terrorist attack on England always being a possibility, this leaves everyone stressed up.
I really do hate it when people spout this kind of crap; I have already had to explain this to someone on another World Cup host thread. A possible terrorsit attack.......??? Of course it is possible that a terrorist attack could happen in England...but so what??? Should that stop everyone from visting the country?? Should that stop all future events and tournaments being held there??? Terrorists could attack anywhere in the world, there were many concerns that this world cup in Germany was going to be a target, but did that stop them??? No, and you know why?? Cus not everyone thinks the way you do! If everyone kept thinking about whether a country was a possible target for terrorism, we'd never get anywhere! That would be letting the terrorists win!

And thankfully, FIFA will not be thinking like you when the decision for the bid is made! Sure, security is always a factor, and England is certainly better in this area then Portugal, so that will be an advantage for the English bid, so if you're relying on FIFA handing the WC over to another country then England because they 'might' be attacked, I'm afraid that's pretty pathetic! FIFA will hand the WC to the best bid-stadiums, infastructure, cities, transport, security etc etc etc...they will not hand the WC over because the other country in the bid was a 'possible' threat for terrorism.....if that was the case, no-one would be able to bid! And remember, we're talking about 2018 here, 12 years away!!

I think it will go

2018: England
2022: Australia
2026: Canada (or USA if Canada isn't ready)
2030: Carribbean/Costa Rica, or Africa, or Uruguay
2034: Spain or Portugal (possibly Russia)
2038: China
2042: Argentina

But who knows really. FIFA change the rotation system and rules all the time and countries change every year, so do not assume that all of the rules for a WC bid two decades from now will be the same as they are today!

For instance, they may relax the 'one stadium per city with the exception of one city' rule for the likes of Australia. I mean there is no point building a stadium in the middle of the desert just so that the location is geographically spread out from other venues. FIFA may be corrupt and idiotic on many occassions, but they are not That stupid!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #851
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim
Ok, for one thing, there have been thousands of arrests at this world cup, and about 350 of those have been English, mainly just a few drunken idiots throwing chairs and whatnot...so don't preach some stereotypical bullshit about England fans being the only ones who cause trouble.

And, please, lets not forget (I'll remind you if you've forgotten), England is one of the few countries that doesn't have to have huge fences up in thier football stadiums to keep out the fans from invading the pitch! Spain and in particular Italy have waaaaaaayyyyyyy more incidents of fan violence and disruption in their league matches then the Premiership does, which is why it is one of the most respected leagues in the world! It might have slipped your notice mate, but when was the last time you heard reports of mass racism in English football (as there is in Spain) or reports of fashism and corrption (as there is in Italy)...?? English football has made massive progress over the years thanks to campaigns by the FA and some media groups, and it is now a lot safer and fairer playing in England then in any other European nation!

And as JimB has already pointed out, security is also taken more seriously then just about any other nation you could care to mention, and there are a great deal of highly trianed poilcemen in England and many other forces which you don't even see which keep the fans and the rest of the nation safe and under controll...so this bollox about security issues is...well...bollox!

I really do hate it when people spout this kind of crap; I have already had to explain this to someone on another World Cup host thread. A possible terrorsit attack.......??? Of course it is possible that a terrorist attack could happen in England...but so what??? Should that stop everyone from visting the country?? Should that stop all future events and tournaments being held there??? Terrorists could attack anywhere in the world, there were many concerns that this world cup in Germany was going to be a target, but did that stop them??? No, and you know why?? Cus not everyone thinks the way you do! If everyone kept thinking about whether a country was a possible target for terrorism, we'd never get anywhere! That would be letting the terrorists win!

And thankfully, FIFA will not be thinking like you when the decision for the bid is made! Sure, security is always a factor, and England is certainly better in this area then Portugal, so that will be an advantage for the English bid, so if you're relying on FIFA handing the WC over to another country then England because they 'might' be attacked, I'm afraid that's pretty pathetic! FIFA will hand the WC to the best bid-stadiums, infastructure, cities, transport, security etc etc etc...they will not hand the WC over because the other country in the bid was a 'possible' threat for terrorism.....if that was the case, no-one would be able to bid! And remember, we're talking about 2018 here, 12 years away!!

I think it will go

2018: England
2022: Australia
2026: Canada (or USA if Canada isn't ready)
2030: Carribbean/Costa Rica, or Africa, or Uruguay
2034: Spain or Portugal (possibly Russia)
2038: China
2042: Argentina

But who knows really. FIFA change the rotation system and rules all the time and countries change every year, so do not assume that all of the rules for a WC bid two decades from now will be the same as they are today!

For instance, they may relax the 'one stadium per city with the exception of one city' rule for the likes of Australia. I mean there is no point building a stadium in the middle of the desert just so that the location is geographically spread out from other venues. FIFA may be corrupt and idiotic on many occassions, but they are not That stupid!

people afraid of terrorist attacks ? u gotta be kidding..people travel in and out of london and the UK on a daily basis..if anything its one of the worlds most open cities...the UK draws a global market...it has its hooligans...but thats not going to stop the world from flocking to the home of the sport.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #852
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
people afraid of terrorist attacks ? u gotta be kidding..people travel in and out of london and the UK on a daily basis..if anything its one of the worlds most open cities...the UK draws a global market...it has its hooligans...but thats not going to stop the world from flocking to the home of the sport.
Lol mate, that was kinda my point excacly!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #853
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

I hope China gets to host it soon so we can get into World Cup without having to qualify for it haha...

according to the chairman of China Footbal Federation (also the vice chairman of FIFA) 2014 will be a contest between China and Australia, infrastructure wise two countries are about the same but the performence of Australian team at this world cup seems to favour the australian bid.
Sen no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #854
XCRunner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB
I think that, in the case of a country like Australia, FIFA would relax the rules, so long as the stadiums were up to scratch.

The purpose of spreading the World Cup venues around the host nation is so that all citizens of host nations will have the chance to see a World Cup game or two within easy travelling distance. If, in a country like Australia, 90% of the population lives in and around a small number of cities, then that purpose will still be served if all the games are staged in those cities.
This is why a joint bid with New Zealand would help also. Auckland, Wellington, etc. are all suitable cities.

As for the issue of having the stadia in unusually small cities, I don't think there needs to be any worry of selling out the games (how could there be in the biggest event in the history of the world), but where would all these fans eat, sleep, drink, party, etc? Look at the MASSIVE fan fests in Germany. It would be difficult to organize things like that without proper public spaces and lots of public transportation. And how economically feasible is it to build 40,000-60,000 seat stadiums in cities that barely have that population?

That being said, I do think Australia/New Zealand are more than capable of hosting a great world cup one day. (Hopefully the development of the A-League will help.)
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #855
XCRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKane
China will host a World Cup before England. If I have worked it out correctly, there will be 9 stadia with capacity of over 60000, including the new Beijing Olympic, 2 more with over 50000 and one of over 40000. Of the 9 of over 60000 capacity, 4 can hold over 70000. In a country as enthusiastic about football as China, these grounds could be packed to capacity for probably every game. The stadia I've based this on are;
Olympic Stadium, Beijing (91000)
Guangzhou Stadium, Guangzhou (80012)
Shanghai Stadium, Shanghai (80000)
Workers Stadium, Beijing (72000)
Wulihe Stadium, Shenyang (65000)
Olympic Sports Center, Nanjing (60000)
Wuhan Stadium, Wuhan (60000)
Tianhe Stadium, Guangzhou (60000)
Yizhong Stadium, Qingdao (60000)
Olympic Sports Center, Chonqing (58680)
People's Stadium, Dalian (55000)
Shandong Stadium, Jinan (43700)

P.S. - I am Scottish, and just wanted an excuse for anyone but England to host the World Cup.
I don't really know a lot about stadiums in the far east, but this really opens things up. Knowing China has all there large (and presumably modern) stadia greatly increases my support for a Chinese bid. I don't think they'll get it before England, but you never know. It would be nice if Glasgow could get some group games in an English WC, but I doubt that would ever happen.
Old July 9th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #856
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

P.S. - I am Scottish, and just wanted an excuse for anyone but England to host the World Cup

Irrelevant for our loser neighbours to the North, because your not going to qualify for anything whether its in England or China. But god help you if you dare to attack seven year olds. Anyway England will host the World Cup, before you even attempt another piss poor attempt at hosting the European Championships.
Old July 9th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #857
Mr. Maciek

my opinion would be

2010 - South Africa (confirmed)
2014 - Brasil
2018 - England
2022 - China or Australia (would be difficult to hold them back to back due to same quallifying region)
2026 - back to Europe

although if Australia stayed in oceana then my prediction would look tottally different.

which brings me to my next point, what will happen to oceana?... 0.5 world cup spots, its hard to see any oceana teams quallifying for a world cup..

im hoping to see FIFA review their quallifying system, i feel its redicoulos having 3.5 out of 6 places for concacaf (north & central america). In my opinion they should'nt get more than 1.5, too many quallity sides are missing out on the finals particularly from South America and Europe. even though oceana dont have any great footballing nations, its unfair they only get 0.5 of a spot - which doesnt even count as a spot because its more than likely they will loose in a play off to a south america team.
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #858
cardboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB
Hooliganism?

What's the relevance of that?

Firstly, England fans have generally behaved well in recent times, despite travelling in enormous numbers. Secondly, when English fans have behaved badly in the past, it has generally been when abroad.
i myself dont think a country who have serious hooliganism problems should be given a chance to host the cup.
even if they behave discipline at home. they created trouble to the host country abroad, thats the worst things soccer fans can do to spoil the host's event.
cardboard no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #859
Dreamlıneя

Likes (Received): 3

I want Brazil to host the 2014 World cup because it's next to Venezuela and I'd travel to Brazil to watch the games...
I don't Know but it's possible that the 2014 World cup may be held by Chile and Argentina..
Dreamlıneя no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #860
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRunner
I don't really know a lot about stadiums in the far east, but this really opens things up. Knowing China has all there large (and presumably modern) stadia greatly increases my support for a Chinese bid. I don't think they'll get it before England, but you never know. It would be nice if Glasgow could get some group games in an English WC, but I doubt that would ever happen.
The only disadvantage I see is that almost all those stadiums have running tracks although knowing China I doubt more than a few(maybe Bejing, Nanjing, Guangzhou?) would be used in favour of new construction.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup