daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 29th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #8741
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

A high-profile member of the International Olympic Committee is on a list of names that have allegedly taken ‘millions in payments' to influence bidding for future FIFA World Cups.

Swiss newspaper SonntagsZeitung reported the existence of the list just days before the executive committee of football's world governing body meet to decide the hosts of their showpiece in 2018 and 2022.

According to the report some FIFA executive committee members are hiding behind shell companies to bank cash to influence decisions.

Hosts for the Olympic Games are chosen by all 115 members of the International Olympic Committee but the vote on the World Cup is restricted to FIFA's executive committee, with president Sepp Blatter, who is also an IOC member, having the casting vote.

The allegations come just a week after FIFA's fledging ethics body - which was initially chaired by Sebastian Coe, before he stepped down to work on England's World Cup bid - slapped one to three year suspensions on two executive committee members, following an undercover investigation by the Sunday Times.

England's bid team - including Prime Minister David Cameron and Football Association president Prince William - are set to fly out to Zurich for some last-ditch lobbying.

However, they will be watching tonight's BBC Panorama with interest, with more allegations about wrongdoing at FIFA expected to feature.

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/fo...orruption-list
RobH no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #8742
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
No substance (apart from a few mosques) or natural beauty.
There were no mosques in those pics
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #8743
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Well whatever the hell they are then.

The Great Barrier Reef - how can you say that it isn't one of the most beautiful places on earth?

Will737 no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #8744
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

no relevance to bidding ? I didnt include natural beauty because its not something you work hard to achieve.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #8745
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

AND IT GETS WORSE

Jack Warner, David Cameron's would-be lunch guest, faces the embarrassment of a high-court judgment today over his broken promises to Trinidad and Tobago's 2006 World Cup squad.

Cameron has been attempting to woo Warner, who as Concacaf president controls three votes in the World Cup 2018 bid process, and had invited him for lunch at No10. Cameron's office said last week that it had been postponed due to "scheduling difficulties" but that the two hoped to have lunch when they meet in Zurich.

That will enable Warner, who has been a vociferous critic of tonight's scheduled Panorama programme on Fifa, to concentrate on the ruling from a judge in Port of Spain over how the Trinidad & Tobago Football Association should redress the string of broken promises he made to the 2006 players over their World Cup bonuses which have still not been received. And as Cameron seeks Warner's pledge, before Thursday's vote in Zurich, to support England 2018, Shaka Hislop, who was the players' lead negotiator in 2006, believes Warner has not kept his word. England might take note.

"Warner made promises," said Hislop. "We were told we would get 50% of all the commercial money. When we were eventually told what that would be it was TT$5,000 [£492.86] a man – which we knew it could not be. There were contracts made that we signed with Adidas and a number of other companies around Trinidad and Tobago.

"The TTFA was happy to brag about the size of those contracts. We made our feelings known and questioned Jack Warner's accounting skills. The TTFA is about Warner and almost no one else. I felt very let down. It was our proudest moment as a football nation and once the offer was made of TT$5,000 a man we felt desperately let down. It was a slap in the face of everything we had done and how we had made the country feel."

Pitched into England's 2006 World Cup group, the Soca Warriors were making their first appearance at the tournament finals, drawing with Sweden, losing narrowly to England before bowing out against Paraguay.

Warner, who is described as the "special adviser" to the TTFA and is not on its board, denies the matter has anything to do with him. "I have nothing to say about that, it is nothing to do with me. I never appeared in court, I never gave a speech about it; it was for the federation. I have nothing to do with that. It doesn't bother me even remotely," he said.

A previous high-court judgment found the Fifa vice-president was "at all material times the authority of the TTFA" in the negotiations with players over their World Cup bonuses. The players believe they should have been due closer to £260,000 each and the high court will rule on Friday whether to force the TTFA to prepare audited accounts of the sums it received in relation to the 2006 World Cup. The players have also pressed for a US$6m (£1.87m) interim payment from the TTFA.

"Anyone who has followed Trinidadian football knows that transparency is a huge issue," said Hislop. "No one knows what comes in and what goes out. There are huge cheques from the government and no one knows what comes in and where it goes."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...ment-world-cup
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #8746
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
no relevance to bidding ? I didnt include natural beauty because its not something you work hard to achieve.
And it isn't something you can just throw your undeserved money at. It lasts, it has substance and true beauty unlike Qatar's potential white dwarfes. Also, what relevance did you posts with those images have? I was merely making a reply to your images.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #8747
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
A country has to actually have some natural beauty to be able to post pics of it.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #8748
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #8749
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
A high-profile member of the International Olympic Committee is on a list of names that have allegedly taken ‘millions in payments' to influence bidding for future FIFA World Cups.

Swiss newspaper SonntagsZeitung reported the existence of the list just days before the executive committee of football's world governing body meet to decide the hosts of their showpiece in 2018 and 2022.

According to the report some FIFA executive committee members are hiding behind shell companies to bank cash to influence decisions.

Hosts for the Olympic Games are chosen by all 115 members of the International Olympic Committee but the vote on the World Cup is restricted to FIFA's executive committee, with president Sepp Blatter, who is also an IOC member, having the casting vote.

The allegations come just a week after FIFA's fledging ethics body - which was initially chaired by Sebastian Coe, before he stepped down to work on England's World Cup bid - slapped one to three year suspensions on two executive committee members, following an undercover investigation by the Sunday Times.

England's bid team - including Prime Minister David Cameron and Football Association president Prince William - are set to fly out to Zurich for some last-ditch lobbying.

However, they will be watching tonight's BBC Panorama with interest, with more allegations about wrongdoing at FIFA expected to feature.

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/fo...orruption-list
We'll all have to wait till the show at 8.30, it's not long enough to cover enough things in my opinion. They should have had a 3 hour marathon of all the corruption.
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #8750
AndreasBerlin

Ok, so who think Warner is going to feature on Panorama tonight??
AndreasBerlin no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #8751
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasBerlin View Post
Ok, so who think Warner is going to feature on Panorama tonight??
well even if nothing else is guaranteed, surely that is.
Old November 29th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #8752
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Panorama will be Warner,Warner,Warner,ISL,Blatters car smash
It should really cover Project Seleucia and the other work that Qatar has had done by Kroll-I know of at least one other instance which hasn't been noticed and its extremely serious.
Also the $10-12 million vote buying by Qatar that has been kept quiet
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #8753
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
What did Qatar work hard to achieve?

Strike it lucky with political borders leaving it with a massive resource.
Get highly educated foreigners with their firms and technology to plan and design the country. Get vulnerable people from specific parts of the world to build it while denying them human dignity.

Yes people may not build natural beauty but it takes an awful amount of money and hard work to protect it.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #8754
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Why the hell are you guys talking about natural beauty and crap like that? This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #8755
MysteryMike
BANNED

Five reasons why Qatar shouldn't host the 2022 World Cup

1. THE HEAT

Those who have watched the odd football game may have noticed that for all the players’ skills, they don’t take discomfort too well.

Lord knows how they’d cope with spending a month in what is essentially an oversized Lego Land set inside a furnace.

Earlier this year the temperature in Qatar hit a record 53C. In summer it hovers above 40C much of the time. Christiano Ronaldo’s hair simply wouldn’t take that kind of punishment.

2. THE BOOZE BAN

In some languages, “World Cup” translates loosely as “booze-fuelled hoedown”.

So try telling hundreds of thousands of football fans that the only way they can buy their own alcohol in Qatar is with a special permit, due to the country’s alcohol ban.

Word from downtown Doha is that these fabled permits can only be obtained at one particular shop, and that you need a permit before you’re allowed to enter the shop.

Makes sense, doesn’t it?

To be fair, you are able to buy alcohol at hotels and bars, but who would risk it, with public inebriation punishable by jail time?

3. THE FRIENDLY WILDLIFE

Three words: Death Stalker Scorpions.

Mother of God.

If the heat doesn’t get you, there are scorpions roaming the streets with a taste for the flesh of Wayne Rooney fans.

4. DO THEY PLAY FOOTBALL THERE?

Ranked 113th in the world in the latest FIFA rankings, the Qataris have never qualified for the event and aren’t likely to without a host’s free entry pass.

5. WHERE WILL THEY PLAY?

The Qatar bid centres around the construction of five stadiums, two of which already exist and will be expanded so that all the venues can house more than 40,000 people.

Qatar also announced each of the stadiums would be air conditioned.

I’m sorry, air conditioned?

Have you ever tried to hail an air conditioner repairman in the peak of summer?

What happens when the bank of Fujitsus pack it in during the final?

Think “dog in car”.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/fi...-1225962703162
Old November 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #8756
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #8757
waqif
BANNED

new record over 500,000 person

[IMG]http://i52.************/2zr2qhf.png[/IMG]

Qatar 2022 World Cup Bid Gets Boost from Facebook

Qatar 2022, which is attempting to bring the FIFA World Cup to the Middle East for the first time ever, is getting a big kick from Facebook, as its page on the social network has drawn more than 500,000 fans.

The host nations for the 2018 and 2022 soccer tournaments will be announced Wednesday.

Qatar 2022 said its Facebook page has received Likes from countries including Egypt (90,000), Jordan (45,000), Saudi Arabia (38,000), Qatar (31,000), Lebanon (23,000), Nigeria (22,000), Palestine (18,000), Ghana (17,000), the United States (14,000), Kenya (14,000), Israel (10,000), and South Africa (6,000).

The organization added that U.S. English was the most common language used to access its Facebook page, at 265,000, followed by Arabic (113,000), U.K. English (60,000), and French (20,000).

http://www.mediabistro.com/webnewser...facebook_b9885

the most popular bid till this moment
waqif no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #8758
gezza

I wonder if this post will be deleted as my past 5 have been without reason?

Can anyone tell me if the Fifa discloses which delegates vote for which bid? I am of the understanding that it is confidential. If these votes are made public I would like to see a campaign for everyone who voted for the ridiculous, doha joke bid to be investigated for corruption.
gezza no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #8759
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqif View Post
new record over 500,000 perso

the most popular bid till this moment
lol same story as your bs accounts on here Qatar son, your facebook account is utter bs, are the facebook accounts qatarson? or qatarson 333? or montblanc?? or is it overground 2010?? or draman?? to vote rigging SSC says NO!! The world says NO!!! You bribing, colluding, undeserving disgrace of a bid based on half baked moronic plans putting the players and fans of nations at grave risk just for your stupid king's retarded ego in building a bunch of useless white elephants that serve about as much of a purpose as your corniche or your retarded zoo that I had to deal with when I was younger. I know, I know, what do we do with $100 billion dollars today? mmm let me think, help people in nations like Yemen or use it to bribe overpaid fat FIFA executives, bs ambassadors, media outlets and build a bunch of useless white elephants. I think i'll take option B thanks. FAIL!!!
Old November 29th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #8760
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gezza View Post
Can anyone tell me if the Fifa discloses which delegates vote for which bid? I am of the understanding that it is confidential. If these votes are made public I would like to see a campaign for everyone who voted for the ridiculous, doha joke bid to be investigated for corruption.
They do not but you can work it out at the end because they give you the numbers for each confederation. When South Africa won the 2010 world cup hosting rights, their entire confederation voted against them but they still managed to get the numbers to win.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup