daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 29th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #8761
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Five reasons why Qatar shouldn't host the 2022 World Cup

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/fi...-1225962703162
From a biased AUSTRALIAN source, these type of INCREDIBLY FALSE articles would be expected.

anyways

Heat, I already re-re-re-re-re-re and re-emphasized, stated, quoted that all stadiums will be 27 degrees Celsius OR LESS, great for fans and players, all training pitches will be cooled and shaded, every single accommodation unit in the country has air-conditioning, all types of transport (Metro, Bus, Taxi, Water taxi) are cooled. Shading is provided everywhere in Qatar not to mention a new trend of out-door cooling (actual cooling, not just water misting).

Booze Ban (Alcohol), Alcoholic beverages are available at most hotels, the need of independent nightclubs and bars is un-needed due to the small size of the country, so hotels are supposed to be just fine. On the other hand the bid officials did state that fanzones will make alcoholic drinks available to customers.

Wildlife ???? Scorpions ? last time I saw one was when I actually went to the desert, Its not like there are giant scorpions running around Doha central business district and terrorizing people.

Football, yes why the hell would we want to host the world cup if its not played here !!?

They will play in stadiums that are better than US or Australian stadiums in terms of football specific stadiums and post-worldcup "adequate" legacy mode.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #8762
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Quote:
Alcoholic beverages are available at most hotels, the need of independent nightclubs and bars is un-needed due to the small size of the country, so hotels are supposed to be just fine.
No offence, but that sounds pretty dull. You spend a few weeks in a country and the only place you can let your hair down with a drink is in your hotel?

The heat is an issue which has FIFA concerned (see the evaludation report), and obviously the nature of the bid in such a small area (never been done before) and the legacy of the stadiums are issues. How big they are depends on your point of view but it's safe to say nearly everyone who isn't a passionate supporter of your bid has qualms about these things.

The arguments about scorpions and things are just dumb, but Mike seems to go over the top whenever he posts here.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #8763
gezza

Likes (Received): 0

Qatar rejects appeals to respect Human Rights

11 February, 2010 - 18:53

Islamic states United Nations news Human rights UN Geneva Human rights - general

The appalling lack of human rights in even the most liberal of Islamic States was highlighted this week when Qatar rejected the following recommendations made by member states of the Human Rights Council. Those not entitled to the full enjoyment of their human rights in Qatar include women, the children of mixed marriages, and–of course–homosexuals.

To continue to focus work on the rights of women and children, and to lift its reservations to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women to guarantee fair and equal legislation (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland);
To consider withdrawing, as soon as possible, its reservation to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women and to ensure that its national law and practice is in conformity with it (Norway);
To review its reservations to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women with a view to withdrawing them, especially the reservation to the right of a child to obtain Qatari nationality from a Qatari women married to a foreign man (Netherlands);
To end discrimination against women by amending its legislation to guarantee women equal rights, in accordance with its international obligations, including with regard to marriage and divorce (Sweden);
To take legislative measures to eliminate discrimination against women, particularly in the area of marriage and divorce (Chile);
To ensure that LGBT persons are not discriminated against and, as an immediate step, to amend the provisions of the penal code criminalizing consensual sexual activity among persons of the same sex and to ensure that no one is punished for such activity under Sharia law (Sweden);
To consider establishing an official moratorium on the use of death penalty with a view to abolishing it, as provided by General Assembly resolutions 62/149and 63/168 (Slovenia);
To declare a moratorium on executions in line with the General Assembly resolutions 62/149 and 63/168 (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland);
To commute all death sentences and declare a moratorium on executions (Norway);
To consider abolishing the death penalty and corporal punishment, in particular against children (Brazil);
To establish a moratorium on capital punishment, commuting such crimes to sentences of deprivation of liberty; if not, to find a way to harmonize criminal and penal norms and laws with international human rights law (Spain);
To abolish stoning and flogging from its legislation, as mentioned by the Committee against Torture (Chile).

--Roy Brown, Head of IHEU Delegation to the United Nations, Geneva.

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.iheu.org/trackback/3810
gezza no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #8764
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

And ? NOT RELEVANT.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #8765
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

[edit]

Last edited by crazyalex; November 29th, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
crazyalex no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #8766
gezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
And ? NOT RELEVANT.
Are you retarded or just stupidly blinded by your pathetic joke of a bid?

It is extremely relevant!

Does a nation with an absurd track record of human rights deserve to be granted the privilege of hosting the greatest event on the planet?

Will your country (sorry city) be welcoming to same sex couples who supporting their team?

How will your city handle skimply clad brazilian women walking the (air conditioned) streets of Doha?

What happens if Israel makes the 2022 finals? How are your buddies at Hamas going to take it? Will your government continue to bank roll them??
gezza no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #8767
RobH

Quote:
Does a nation with an absurd track record of human rights be granted the privilege of hosting the greatest event on the planet?
I'm not aware of Qatar's record on human rights and equality in general but this probably ain't the thread for it. Suffice to say, we had the Olympics in China two years ago and everything I know about FIFA suggests they're even less bothered about such things.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #8768
RobH

Oh, was Qatarson one of the multis? He seemed one of the more sane posters on this forum.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #8769
as87930

Size and climate alone should be more than enough to rule Qatar out of the race! Another possibly problematic thing would be the Islamic culture - will the powers-that-be there allow for some loosening of rules during the month-long tourney! If its already a big concern for Qatar, that is enough to rule out Saudi Arabia from hosting rights for as long as they have their "system" in place!
as87930 no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #8770
RobH

The allegations in tonight's Panorama

(pretty much what the German and Swiss newspapers are also running with; it seems the Beeb aren't the only media outlet who've seen the list of executives who've accepted kickbacks)
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #8771
gezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I'm not aware of Qatar's record on human rights and equality in general but this probably ain't the thread for it. Suffice to say, we had the Olympics in China two years ago and everything I know about FIFA suggests they're even less bothered about such things.
It is the thread/forum for it as it has a profound effect of Doha's ability to host a tournament that is safe, accessible and welcoming to all supporters no matter race/sex/religion/sexuality. Fifa is corrupt, everyone knows it, but my question was not 'if fifa will be bothered by Qatars HR record?'

I (along with many others) had similar issues with China hosting the games, it was their biggest shortcoming. For the Doha bid it is one of countless reasons why this joke of a bid shouldn't have even got this far.

As I have said many times - it will be a dark day for sport if Doha win the rights to 22 and will confirm Fifa as one of the most corrupt organisations on the planet.
gezza no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #8772
AndreasBerlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
From a biased AUSTRALIAN source, these type of INCREDIBLY FALSE articles would be expected.

anyways

Heat, I already re-re-re-re-re-re and re-emphasized, stated, quoted that all stadiums will be 27 degrees Celsius OR LESS, great for fans and players, all training pitches will be cooled and shaded, every single accommodation unit in the country has air-conditioning, all types of transport (Metro, Bus, Taxi, Water taxi) are cooled. Shading is provided everywhere in Qatar not to mention a new trend of out-door cooling (actual cooling, not just water misting).

Booze Ban (Alcohol), Alcoholic beverages are available at most hotels, the need of independent nightclubs and bars is un-needed due to the small size of the country, so hotels are supposed to be just fine. On the other hand the bid officials did state that fanzones will make alcoholic drinks available to customers.

Wildlife ???? Scorpions ? last time I saw one was when I actually went to the desert, Its not like there are giant scorpions running around Doha central business district and terrorizing people.

Football, yes why the hell would we want to host the world cup if its not played here !!?

They will play in stadiums that are better than US or Australian stadiums in terms of football specific stadiums and post-worldcup "adequate" legacy mode.
Correct me if I am wrong, but not all of the stadiums are shaded. Even though they are air-conditioned, players and some fans will still be in direct sunlight. That high UV level is definitely a health risk

And what happens if an air-conditioning unit breaks down...?
AndreasBerlin no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #8773
AndreasBerlin

Quote:
The allegations in tonight's Panorama

(pretty much what the German and Swiss newspapers are also running with; it seems the Beeb aren't the only media outlet who've seen the list of executives who've accepted kickbacks)
So it begs the question, why would the BBC risk sabotaging (some would argue that they already have) the English bid, to run a story that is already in the public realm...?
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #8774
AndreasBerlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gezza View Post
It is the thread/forum for it as it has a profound effect of Doha's ability to host a tournament that is safe, accessible and welcoming to all supporters no matter race/sex/religion/sexuality. Fifa is corrupt, everyone knows it, but my question was not 'if fifa will be bothered by Qatars HR record?'

I (along with many others) had similar issues with China hosting the games, it was their biggest shortcoming. For the Doha bid it is one of countless reasons why this joke of a bid shouldn't have even got this far.

As I have said many times - it will be a dark day for sport if Doha win the rights to 22 and will confirm Fifa as one of the most corrupt organisations on the planet.
If you don't want Qatar to host, there are two words you just have to keep repeating over and over: Health Risk!
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #8775
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Another example of the dirty tactics of Qatar 2022

http://www.epltalk.com/the-guardian-...ics-flub-26947
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #8776
gezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
Another example of the dirty tactics of Qatar 2022

http://www.epltalk.com/the-guardian-...ics-flub-26947
Shameless. I hope she and her employers lose readers over this blatant cash for comments article. I'm surprised the Doha bid committee allowed a women to write for them in the first place?
gezza no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #8777
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by gezza View Post
I wonder if this post will be deleted as my past 5 have been without reason?

Can anyone tell me if the Fifa discloses which delegates vote for which bid? I am of the understanding that it is confidential. If these votes are made public I would like to see a campaign for everyone who voted for the ridiculous, doha joke bid to be investigated for corruption.
They are supposed to remain confidential, but I'd say if Qatar managed to pull off a win there would be many questions raised and we'd find out who voted for who soon enough.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #8778
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Great work on cleaning out the trash in this thread too by the way.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #8779
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
They are supposed to remain confidential, but I'd say if Qatar managed to pull off a win there would be many questions raised and we'd find out who voted for who soon enough.
Yup.

I can understand OZ beating the USA, but Qatar?!
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #8780
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Oh, was Qatarson one of the multis? He seemed one of the more sane posters on this forum.
It's kinda sad how some people would go through all of that just to win a poll in some forum lol.
hngcm no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup