daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 30th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #8801
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7061

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Have no problem with the Russian bid.
You don't have. Charles Sale has.
AlekseyVT no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #8802
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
You don't have. Charles Sale has.
don't let it get you down dude. Who is Charles Sale and why give a toss about what he thinks?

I reckon I could find 1,000,000 tossers who think the Russian bid must win for all to be good in the universe, and 1,000,000 tossers who think if it wins it will be the end of life as we know it. At the end, they are both tossers, and its just opinion.

You like your bid, thats cool! If others don't, shrug your shoulders and accept it as their loss. Getting upset about it only effect you, not them.
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #8803
RobH

Likes (Received): 10316

well, well, well

Well, it turns out the BBC gave FIFA all this information THREE WEEKS AGO and they've done nothing about it. But there is another body who are more than slightly interested in the revelations:

IOC probes FIFA voter Hayatou over secret payments

The International Olympic Committee will investigate FIFA vice president Issa Hayatou over allegations he took secret cash from FIFA's former marketing agency.

The IOC says it will ask British state broadcaster, the BBC, to pass on evidence from an investigation into alleged FIFA corruption which was screened Monday.

Hayatou, a longstanding IOC member and president of Africa's football confederation, allegedly received 100,000 French francs from the ISL agency in 1995.

The IOC says it has zero tolerance for corruption and will refer the matter to its ethics commission.

Hayatou and two other FIFA executive committee members alleged by the BBC to have taken payments will vote on Thursday for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosts.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/socce...17972127_x.htm

-------------------------------------------------

So we know there were two members willing to sell their votes, both of whom have been suspended. A further four are accused of taking kickbacks based on pretty strong evidence and the sums we're talking about aren't small either. Then you have Jack Warner who has twice now been caught selling hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of tickets on the black market, has failed to pay T&T players what they are owed and who is a horrible human being in general, and Jermoe Valcke who was thrown out of FIFA only to be reinstated after a marketing scandal involving Mastercard and Visa.

I make that 8 out of 24 members who are more than slightly dodgy; one third of FIFA's voters. How anyone can make the BBC the villain in this is beyond me!

Last edited by RobH; November 30th, 2010 at 11:36 AM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #8804
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
Qatar 2022 Fan Fest (Dedicated alcohol area)

Best post of the thread by FAR!
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #8805
T74

Likes (Received): 1

had to laugh at World Footy Insider, sometimes you can get a tad myopic.

it reckons our PM ain't going to Zurich because either she cannot be bothered traveling or she doesn't want to be associated with a losing bid.

reality is she has been traveling a lot recently, and with the ALP being slammed right now, its not a good time to be viewed as the high flying PM while the rest of us work. I personally disagree, but it is a perception media here like to hit our poli's with.

Although we are all caught up in this, we sometimes forget the rest of the world actually does go on
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #8806
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

These things have been going on for years. Only difference is that some, only some, of these deals, bribes, corrupt officials etc. are now being exposed.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #8807
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

I think it's best Julia Gillard doesn't show her face. If I was an exco member & saw her mug in the presentation, I probably wouldn't vote for Oz.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #8808
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
had to laugh at World Footy Insider, sometimes you can get a tad myopic.

it reckons our PM ain't going to Zurich because either she cannot be bothered traveling or she doesn't want to be associated with a losing bid.

reality is she has been traveling a lot recently, and with the ALP being slammed right now, its not a good time to be viewed as the high flying PM while the rest of us work. I personally disagree, but it is a perception media here like to hit our poli's with.

Although we are all caught up in this, we sometimes forget the rest of the world actually does go on
If FIFA or the IOC had any sense of perspective and fairness they wouldn't allow head of states to take away valuable time to go half way around the world in order to glad hand and spend time giving them face time in order to make themselves feel important.
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #8809
AndreasBerlin

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Blah-blah-blah....

This is an attempt to inspire the world the following opinion: "In a fair struggle English bid should win. If Russia will win, it is only because of corruption FIFA".

In the best traditions of Soviet/Nazi propaganda.
I think if Russia got it, it would still be ok. There are a lot of arguments and reasons to take it there. But if Qatar won 2022, I think it is the end of FIFA 's credibility forever.
AndreasBerlin no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #8810
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
I think it's best Julia Gillard doesn't show her face. If I was an exco member & saw her mug in the presentation, I probably wouldn't vote for Oz.
You're too kind Wezza.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #8811
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Blah-blah-blah....

This is an attempt to inspire the world the following opinion: "In a fair struggle English bid should win. If Russia will win, it is only because of corruption FIFA".

In the best traditions of Soviet/Nazi propaganda.
Yawn.

If you have nothing better to do than to compare Brits to Nazis, then it is quite clear that you have no valid argument. Grow the **** up.

As to the article, it was a short (very short) paragraph or two which took no stance on the issue. It merely reported the existence of a rumour.

As a further observation, it is interesting to note that most, if not all the English people on this thread have happily conceded that, if Russia win, they will have deserved to do so.

By contrast, you and your fellow Russians continue to be as tediously and chauvinistically dismissive of England and the English bid as it is possible to be.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #8812
RobH

I sort of agree with Aleksey on this point actually, even if he is being idiotic in getting his point across by proving Godwin's law to be true.

Russia winning would not indicate any flaws in FIFA's processes (Qatar winning might however, but that's only my personal opinion). There are HUGE flaws in FIFA's processes but they will be there whoever wins, and that includes England.

As to the prospect of a breakaway, that sounds like an interesting and rather delightful threat to me which might force FIFA into some changes just as the threat of a breakaway F1 series eventually led to Max Mosely's removal. I don't see why it should be any more of a reality if Russia wins though; that particular aspect of it sounds like Daily Mail rubbish to me. FIFA should be forced into MASSIVE changes whoever wins 2018/22 and if the threat of a breakaway is the way to do it, then that's what should happen.

Last edited by RobH; November 30th, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #8813
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasBerlin View Post
There is a very interesting quote from Charles Sale's article today in the Daily Mail:

"If the World Cup goes to Russia in 2018 followed by Qatar in 2022, the fall-out for FIFA would be immense. It is expected to include a challenge to FIFA's authority as world football's governing body. Already there is talk of a breakaway International Football Federation being formed in similar fashion to the G14 opposition to UEFA before the rebel clubs were brought into the fold."

The full article can be read here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-big-vote.html

Any thoughts?
I had to check the link to read it for myself.Its totally possible.None of the developed nations will vote for tiny Qatar(except the man with vested interests in 2018 from Spain).They are in unison and have hardened their position.It would devalue the World Cup and bring ExCo into disrepute even more.It would set FIFA back by a decade as the media hammer them,fans and sponsors lose faith
I am still in total amazement that the evaluation reports didn't provide Blatter and ExCo the opportunity to dump that bid.
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #8814
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
You're too kind Wezza.

I turn the tv over everytime I see her face on it.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #8815
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I sort of agree with Aleksey on this point actually, even if he is being idiotic in getting his point across by proving Godwin's law to be true.

Russia winning would not indicate any flaws in FIFA's processes (Qatar winning might however, but that's only my personal opinion). There are HUGE flaws in FIFA's processes but they will be there whoever wins, and that includes England.

As to the prospect of a breakaway, that sounds like an interesting and rather delightful threat to me which might force FIFA into some changes just as the threat of a breakaway F1 series eventually led to Max Mosely's removal. I don't see why it should be any more of a reality if Russia wins though; that particular aspect of it sounds like Daily Mail rubbish to me. FIFA should be forced into MASSIVE changes whoever wins 2018/22 and if the threat of a breakaway is the way to do it, then that's what should happen.
Agreed that Russia winning wouldn't reflect badly on FIFA at all. It would simply mean that the delegates had opted for the excellent qualities of the Russian bid rather than for the equally excellent, but different, qualities of England's bid.

But Aleksey was simply having another gratuitous dig at England - and resorting to that perennial refuge of scoundrels.........Nazi insults.

Pathetic.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #8816
RobH

As I said he could have got his point across better, but this is a rare occassion where Aleksey is right I think. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Last edited by RobH; November 30th, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #8817
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7061

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
But Aleksey was simply having another gratuitous dig at England - and resorting to that perennial refuge of scoundrels.........Nazi insults.
As I wrote earlier, I'm criticize only style of some British journalists. If you think that the British mass-media should not be associate with the English bid, that I see no reason for such unanimous protect of all poor articles in the British press.
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #8818
RobH

That's fair enough; but let's leave Nazi comparisons aside yeah, they only lead to bad feeling?
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #8819
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
As I said he could have got his point across better, but this is a rare occassion where Aleksey is right I think. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Right about what, though?

Regardless of his gratuitous Nazi slur, do you agree with him that that incredibly brief snippet was:

Quote:
an attempt to inspire the world the following opinion: "In a fair struggle English bid should win. If Russia will win, it is only because of corruption FIFA"
??

Or was it just reporting, entirely matter of fact and free from opinion, on the existence of rumours of a potential breakaway organisation?............this being the only possible, legitimate interpretation if you actually read what little Charles Sale wrote on the matter.

Truth is, Aleksey was just being typically myopic, prejudiced, paranoid and gratuitously insulting.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #8820
RobH

Quote:
do you agree with him that that incredibly brief snippet was an attempt to inspire the world the following opinion: "In a fair struggle English bid should win. If Russia will win, it is only because of corruption FIFA", or was it just reporting, entirely matter of fact and free from opinion, on the existence of rumours of a potential breakaway organisation?

A bit of both to be honest Jim, knowing the Daily Mail. The insinuation felt like it was there to me in some snide way even if the facts were correct; I can't quite put my finger on why. I'm not going to start defending the Dail Mail just because a poster like Aleksey is putting his points across in an incredibly ham-fisted way. I've never trusted that paper for the most part, and whilst the existence of a possible breakaway organisation is potentially massive, I'm going to wait for some more reputable sources to report on it before I believe it for certain, let alone believe the circumstances in which it might happen.

Perhaps I'm a bit jaded about the Mail's standard of journalism, but it's hard for me to take that completely at face value. That doesn't mean I'm defending Aleksey's completely over the top response to it though.
RobH no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup