daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #8821
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4637

I would expect England for 2018 but my bet goes on:
- Russia 2018 (I hope: no games in Vladivostok !!!)
- Australia 2022
Answer in 48 hours.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #8822
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
A bit of both to be honest Jim, knowing the Daily Mail. The insinuation felt like it was there to me in some snide way even if the facts were correct; I can't quite put my finger on why. I'm not going to start defending the Dail Mail just because a poster like Aleksey is putting his points across in an incredibly ham-fisted way. I've never trusted that paper for the most part, and whilst the existence of a possible breakaway organisation is potentially massive, I'm going to wait for some more reputable sources to report on it before I believe it for certain, let alone believe the circumstances in which it might happen.

Perhaps I'm a bit jaded about the Mail's standard of journalism, but it's hard for me to take that completely at face value. That doesn't mean I'm defending Aleksey's completely over the top response to it though.
I share your low opinion of the Daily Mail. And I seriously doubt whether there are any credible moves afoot for a breakaway organisation.

But the fact remains that, in that article, Charles Sale didn't actually make any comment or express any opinion on the matter. He merely reported the existence of a rumour.

If he or the Mail had genuinely wanted to express an opinion about it, he / they would have devoted many more column inches to it. They wouldn't have hidden it away, in a tiny paragraph, halfway down a column which had a headline about an altogether different matter.
JimB no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #8823
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7059

Today there are many allegations against FIFA. If they do not choose England, the number of allegations will grow even more! This noise can lead to a weakening of the English bid, but at same time it can to improve the chances of England.

In any case, Russia is loser. I wish good like to England in the struggle against Spain&Portugal.
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #8824
RobH

Likes (Received): 10311

Who knows Aleksey. Whatever the case, such levels of corruption are good for neither of our bids. FIFA needs total reform; the winner of the 2018/22 bid contests is almost secondary to that at the moment in my mind.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #8825
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
Today there are many allegations against FIFA. If they do not choose England, the number of allegations will grow even more! This noise can lead to a weakening of the English bid, but at same time it can to improve the chances of England.

In any case, Russia is loser. I wish good like to England in the struggle against Spain&Portugal.
Seriously, you shouldn't worry so much about Putin not travelling to Zurich. Russia has an excellent bid and every chance of winning.

And, just to be quite clear, the Sunday Times article and Panorama programme have nothing to do with England's bid. So regardless of whether England wins or loses the vote for 2018, the British media will continue to produce articles and programmes that expose corruption until such time as FIFA has cleaned up its act (much as the IOC has done over the past ten years or so).
JimB no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #8826
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post

I think Spain/Portugal and Qatar are the public enemies of every bidding nation. If either of those bids win, then expect maximum chaos and the media to go out on a shoot to kill rampage through FIFA, FIFA will not know what hit them. I think if Russia wins the bid, the media will turn on the bidding team, panorama, triesman and many others, there will be fallout trust me, the fallout will vary in the two cases, if Russia wins it will be more internal, if Spain/Portugal wins then it will be external.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #8827
RobH

The fallout should be against FIFA, regardless who wins. Even if England win we should still be pushing for FIFA to clean up its act.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #8828
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
I think Spain/Portugal and Qatar are the public enemies of every bidding nation. If either of those bids win, then expect maximum chaos and the media to go out on a shoot to kill rampage through FIFA, FIFA will not know what hit them. I think if Russia wins the bid, the media will turn on the bidding team, panorama, triesman and many others, there will be fallout trust me, the fallout will vary in the two cases, if Russia wins it will be more internal, if Spain/Portugal wins then it will be external.
I disagree to an extent.

Regardless of who wins, FIFA will continue to attract unwelcome scrutiny from the British media until it becomes an organistaion that is transparent and free from corruption.
JimB no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #8829
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 229

That panorama is really interesting.

The federation is corrupt to its core.
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #8830
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
The fallout should be against FIFA, regardless who wins. Even if England win we should still be pushing for FIFA to clean up its act.
Yes, should is the key word there, or will people be on such a high from winning the bid, that everybody forgets?
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #8831
Schmeek

Likes (Received): 1

It made me sick listening to it on the radio. We all know what FIFA are like, but to hear it all in one concentrated summing up was too much.
Blatter and Warner.... horrible horrible pieces of work.... I despise them. All these proud countries, almost literally on their knees, begging to suck their c*cks.....and swallow. Nasty nasty nasty.
Just for the opportunity to have FIFA wade into their proud country, throw aside all current laws/taxes, rip them off something chronic claim the moral high ground through 'legacy', 'helping the community' etc and whatever other bullshit they can lay their hand on to point to.

I honesty thought last night: Actually, bollocks to the world cup. Bollocks to FIFA. The BBC are right. At the end of the day how can we hold our heads up high after even communicating with these people, let alone running all over the place begging them?
We should pull England out of the World cup. And I mean the team, not just the bidding. We're rubbish anyway. I don't want to see us connected with FIFA anymore in any shape or form. It's a necesary sacrifice. You never know other countries may follow. There's plenty out there who never will have the chance to host. Nothing to lose, they should unite with us and boycot it. FIFAs loss, methinks. They'll soon realise where the power is, and understand they can never ever blackmail the world with their 'conditions' and 'contracts' etc etc.

Start a new rival tournament/body, where equality, fairness, transparency and above all decency is paramount.

Ok, I understand that corruption is found in all walks of life, in all companies and organisations. I can never be fully eradicated. But what is so unacceptable in FIFAs case, is it appears to be from the top down. And the casualness with which it readily abuses it's position.

So to the vote..... c'mon England!
Schmeek no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #8832
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1102

I know what you mean. I had similar thoughts of Australia just giving them the finger and a kick in the balls. Even had a little fantasy of a break away transparent Football organisation, then tried to work out key nations that would be needed to make it work and grow. If the Iberian/Qatar pack holds and wins I was thinking the losers of 2018, 2022 would be a nice start, small in number but strategically important.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #8833
Feffo23

Likes (Received): 620

I hope:

2018 England

2022 Australia

but for 2018 i think that winner will be Russia...
Feffo23 no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #8834
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
I know what you mean. I had similar thoughts of Australia just giving them the finger and a kick in the balls. Even had a little fantasy of a break away transparent Football organisation, then tried to work out key nations that would be needed to make it work and grow. If the Iberian/Qatar pack holds and wins I was thinking the losers of 2018, 2022 would be a nice start, small in number but strategically important.
From Andreas 2 pages ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasBerlin View Post
There is a very interesting quote from Charles Sale's article today in the Daily Mail:

"If the World Cup goes to Russia in 2018 followed by Qatar in 2022, the fall-out for FIFA would be immense. It is expected to include a challenge to FIFA's authority as world football's governing body. Already there is talk of a breakaway International Football Federation being formed in similar fashion to the G14 opposition to UEFA before the rebel clubs were brought into the fold."

The full article can be read here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-big-vote.html

Any thoughts?
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #8835
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1102

Interesting
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #8836
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2208

For kickbaks:
-russia
- quatar
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #8837
RobH

"Broadcast was in the public interest," declares SKY

Football pundits and journalists were up in arms this morning after SKY Sports 'carelessly and irresponsibly jeopardised the World Cup bid' by broadcasting Liverpool losing 2-1 to Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.

The 18 time league winners and holders of 5 European cups have recently fallen from grace, having their Champions League place usurped by a resurgent Spurs and suffering a poor run of form that sees them struggling to maintain a place in the top 10 of the Premier League and playing Paul Konchesky at left back.

However, many feel that their dreadful form should have been hidden from the prying eyes of FIFA and certainly not broadcast live only days before the World Cup vote.

Ian Ridley of the Mail on Sunday said, "Liverpool Football Club are a national treasure and their image as one of the best teams in the world ever is vital to England winning the rights to host the World Cup in 2018. FIFA don't care about small clubs like Spurs, Everton and Aston Villa. They want to see the usual top 4 winning all the time just like they do in other European countries. SKY have shown a blatant disregard for football fans all over the country by airing this defeat."

Phil Thompson, a SKY pundit who happens to also support Liverpool, added, "I have handed in my resignation to SKY. The World Cup is far more important that their petty agenda to increase viewing figures. By all means show the game, but at least edit out the last 5 minutes and any footage of Paul Konchesky. Or just arrange the fixture for after the vote. Any FIFA executives that saw that on Sunday will be outraged."

SKY's actions have even prompted Prime Minister David Cameron to issue an apology to FIFA via the Downing Street Twitter feed. The PM wrote:

@FIFA_Committee Because we support free media we could not prevent this broadcast. However if you re-watch the game you will see that Spurs got lucky lmao. Everyone in England is working hard to make sure Liverpool are back in the top 4 by 2018 #youllneverwalkalone

In order to limit the damage caused by the broadcast the FA have dispatched an envoy to FIFA HQ led by Prince William and Gerry and the Pacemakers who will be handing out signed Liverpool shirts DVDs of 'that' European Cup Final in 2005.

http://www.dearmrlevy.com/dml/2010/1...lares-sky.html

RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #8838
RahalInter

so close and i am so eager to see who is going to get the hosting rights, please AUS for 2022!!!! if not at least either Japan or Korea, and 2018 anything but Spain/Potugal!!
RahalInter no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #8839
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

I want

2018 for Belgium and the Netherlands...!!
2022 for Australia
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #8840
SharksBoy
Good Luck South Africa!

Likes (Received): 12

2018 - Russia
2022 - Australia
SharksBoy no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup