daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 1st, 2010, 11:02 AM   #8861
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

I think Qatar, although I hate saying it will win, that's what the Aussie media is saying at least. :/
Solopop no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:05 AM   #8862
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Five reasons why Qatar shouldn't host the 2022 World Cup

NCREDIBLY, Qatar has somehow become the overwhelming favourite to win the right to host the 2022 World Cup.

Looking at the place, we’re not sure how. Have any of the judges actually set foot there?

We wouldn’t, and here’s why.

THE HEAT

Those who have watched the odd soccer game may have noticed that for all the players’ skills, they don’t take discomfort too well.

Lord knows how they’d cope with spending a month in what is essentially an oversized Lego Land set inside a furnace.

Earlier this year the temperature in Qatar hit a record 53C. In summer it hovers above 40C much of the time.
Christiano Ronaldo’s hair simply wouldn’t take that kind of punishment.

THE BOOZE BAN

In some languages, “World Cup” translates loosely as “booze-fuelled hoedown”.

So try telling hundreds of thousands of soccer fans that the only way they can buy their own alcohol in Qatar is with a special permit, due to the country’s alcohol ban.

Word from downtown Doha is that these fabled permits can only be obtained at one particular shop, and that you need a permit before you’re allowed to enter the shop.

Makes sense, doesn’t it?

To be fair, you are able to buy alcohol at hotels and bars, but who would risk it, with public inebriation punishable by jail time?

THE FRIENDLY WILDLIFE

And we cop a bad wrap for our dangerous fauna?

Three words: Death Stalker Scorpions.

Mother of God.

If the heat doesn’t get you, there are scorpions roaming the streets with a taste for the flesh of Wayne Rooney fans.

Brown snakes suddenly seem cute and cuddly.

DO THEY PLAY SOCCER THERE?

While Australia is still a fledgling soccer nation and has competed in just three World Cups, that’s three more than Qatar.

Ranked 113th in the world in the latest FIFA rankings, the Qataris have never qualified for the event and aren’t likely to without a host’s free entry pass.

WHERE WILL THEY PLAY?

The Qatar bid centres around the construction of five stadiums, two of which already exist and will be expanded so that all the venues can house more than 40,000 people.

Qatar also announced each of the stadiums would be air conditioned.

I’m sorry, air conditioned?

Have you ever tried to hail an air conditioner repairman in the peak of summer?

What happens when the bank of Fujitsus pack it in during the final?

Think “dog in car”.
Exactly the kind of journalism that makes me embarrassed to say I'm Australian. It happens before every major event or announcement...
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:18 AM   #8863
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Just a question, how exactly does Qatar look better now? As far as I can tell, assuming their collusion pact stands firm, they still only have 8 votes. Once it's a two-horse race between Qatar and the US, the Oz voters will give the US a comfortable win.
Its mainly media (combo of UK, US, and AU) reporting from Zurich.

No explanation, but I'd assume the bloc is holding, plus they may be a few more.

Several papers (non-AU) have had a number of the African nations going to Qatar, and remember Bin Hammam reckons "Asia" is voting for Spain. If he gets them in his camp too (after Korea and Japan conk it) he only needs 1 vote from Africa and its a done deal to Qatar.

Don't get me wrong, on this one I hope the media speculation is wrong.
T74 no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM   #8864
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Latest twitter from Oliver Kay

# Sudden flush of English optimism in Zurich tonight re 2018. Still far too many ifs and buts though. Genuine 3-horse race about 8 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

# As for 2022, USA emerging as clear favourites. Would never have said this pre-94, but they're the obvious choice again about 8 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

http://twitter.com/OliverKayTimes
Slippery-you need at least 11 names-give me 4
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM   #8865
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Slippery-you need at least 11 names-give me 4
Don't shoot the messenger...
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM   #8866
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
Its mainly media (combo of UK, US, and AU) reporting from Zurich.

No explanation, but I'd assume the bloc is holding, plus they may be a few more.

Several papers (non-AU) have had a number of the African nations going to Qatar, and remember Bin Hammam reckons "Asia" is voting for Spain. If he gets them in his camp too (after Korea and Japan conk it) he only needs 1 vote from Africa and its a done deal to Qatar.

Don't get me wrong, on this one I hope the media speculation is wrong.
They are favourite with some bookies-thats about it.Their pact is 7,they have 1 other and a late vote

This will not win them hosting rights

And btw I was interested to see one of the bids finally confirm information that I have known for months

Its not a done deal and despite Temarii selling his soul Australia should still be quietly confident
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:41 AM   #8867
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
And btw I was interested to see one of the bids finally confirm information that I have known for months
hmmmm......send me a PM mate
T74 no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:43 AM   #8868
_X_

Quote:
Don't shoot the messenger...
_X_ no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:47 PM   #8869
T74

Bin Hammam not even subtle now, has congratulated Temarii on shafting the AU bid and covering his own arse

http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/vi..._Bids-Oceania/
T74 no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:51 PM   #8870
RobH

Likes (Received): 10311

Really, he should just keep quiet. Not smart. Temarii's not there, why even mention it?
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM   #8871
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

FIFA will choose the host nations for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups on Thursday but how exactly does the process work?

WHO IS BIDDING?

There are four bids for the 2018 World Cup and five for the 2022 tournament -- nine bids in all representing a total of 11 countries.

2018: England, Netherlands/Belgium (joint bid), Russia, Spain/Portugal (joint bid)

2022: Australia, Japan, Qatar, South Korea, United States.

WHAT IS AT STAKE?

At stake is the right to stage the next two available editions of the World Cup, a month-long extravaganza that makes the host nation the centre of the world's attention, while attracting a TV audience measured in billions. The successful bidders for 2018 will follow Brazil, who will stage the tournament in 2014, and South Africa, who hosted it this year.

HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE VOTING?

22 executive committee members voting at FIFA HQ on Thursday.

WHO EXACTLY ARE THESE PEOPLE?

The 22 members with a vote are: Sepp Blatter (Switzerland), Julio Grondona (Argentina), Issa Hayatou (Cameroon), Chung Mong-joon (South Korea), Jack Warner (Trinidad and Tobago), Angel Maria Villar (Spain), Michel Platini (France), Geoff Thompson (England), Michel D'Hooghe (Belgium), Ricardo Teixeira (Brazil), Mohamed Bin Hammam (Qatar), Senes Erzik (Turkey), Chuck Blazer (United States), Worawi Makudi (Thailand), Nicolas Leoz (Paraguay), Junji Ogura (Japan), Marios Lefkaritis (Cyprus), Jacques Anouma (Ivory Coast), Franz Beckenbauer (Germany), Rafael Salguero (Guatemala), Hany Abo Rida (Egypt), Vitaly Mutko (Russia).

HOW DOES THE VOTING WORK?

Before the voting, the candidates will make their final presentations to executive committee members. They begin on Wednesday and will last 30 minutes each, under the following schedule:

Wednesday:

1300 GMT: Australia

1400: South Korea

1500: Qatar

1600: United States

1700: Japan

Thursday:

0800: Belgium/Netherlands

0900: Spain/Portugal

1000: England

1100: Russia

The executive committee will hold a closed meeting at 1400 on Thursday at FIFA HQ and then start the voting process.

The 2018 vote will take place first followed by 2022, with the winners due to be announced at 1500 GMT, though FIFA says that time could change, depending on how long the voting takes.

The winner will be the bid which obtains 50-percent-plus-one of the votes of the executive committee members present.

If no bid achieves an absolute majority, the bidders with the lowest number of votes will be eliminated and a new round of voting will take place.

WHAT IF THERE IS A TIE?

If the voting comes down to the last two bids and there is a tie, FIFA president Sepp Blatter will have the casting vote.

"Think about it like the away goals rule," a source at one of the bids said this week, meaning Blatter's vote would effectively count double in the event of a tie.

HOW WILL WE FIND OUT WHO HAS WON?

The votes will be in secret and the results will not be announced after each round, meaning there will be no clues as to how the voting has gone before Sepp Blatter opens the envelopes at the decision ceremony at the Messezentrum Zurich.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/011220...t-decided.html

Last edited by MysteryMike; December 1st, 2010 at 02:11 PM.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:03 PM   #8872
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
Bin Hammam not even subtle now, has congratulated Temarii on shafting the AU bid and covering his own arse

http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/vi..._Bids-Oceania/
What a disgrace. Qatar's sham bid with their vote rigging and bribes have totally ruined this world cup bidding process.
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:04 PM   #8873
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Really, he should just keep quiet. Not smart. Temarii's not there, why even mention it?
he's getting cocky

remember last week he told the Spanish press he had delivered "the Asian vote" for Spain, but then backed away once it hit international media and the implications took root.

he just wants to tell the world he has fixed the vote....but he cannot
T74 no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:09 PM   #8874
MysteryMike
BANNED

I swear Bin Hammam is qatarson, they are both so similar both fraudulent, lying, two faced, vote rigging disgraces to the world.
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:46 PM   #8875
dacrio

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/bidders/live/index.html

live streaming of the presentations here

the music is incredible!

what a ugly room!!!!

Last edited by dacrio; December 1st, 2010 at 02:53 PM.
dacrio no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:22 PM   #8876
kichigai

Likes (Received): 182

The sequence in the Australian presentation with the kangaroo is so cringeworthy.
kichigai no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:24 PM   #8877
kichigai

Likes (Received): 182

Paul Hogan...it just gets worse.
kichigai no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:27 PM   #8878
dacrio

very bad presentation.
vote: 4/10
dacrio no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:29 PM   #8879
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1102

Not happy

(but I've never seen one of these before)

Last edited by Walbanger; December 1st, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:30 PM   #8880
rsol2000

Likes (Received): 8655

Russia 2018
USA 2022
rsol2000 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup