daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:57 AM   #9001
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Prince warms to Australian Cup bid

Prince William has shown his faith in Australia's World Cup bid by saying the nation must be one of the favourites to land the 2022 tournament.

The second in line to the British throne is also the president of the Football Association and has been busy in Zurich this week lobbying for England to host the 2018 edition.

He told Governor General Quentin Bryce in their brief catch-up that Australia had to be a good shot at toppling the likes of the USA, Qatar, South Korea and Japan in Thursday's vote.

http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/arti...id=546579&vId=
MysteryMike no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:00 AM   #9002
MysteryMike
BANNED

Australia would make great host: Olsen

Former Ajax, Manchester United and Denmark World Cup footballer, Jesper Olsen, has thrown his support behind Australia’s bid to host the World Cup in 2022.

Although Olsen said it was too difficult to predict which nation would win the right to host the 2022 event, he was confident that Australia had made a strong application and would be a worthy winner. “I know Australia would put on a fantastic show and it would be a great place to have the World Cup,” Olsen said.

“If Australia got it I think it would prove to be a historical World Cup because you seem to be great at putting together huge events and it would just be fantastic.”

A member of Denmark's team at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, Olsen identified the United States as Australia's greatest danger when the FIFA announcement for 2022 is made early on Friday morning (AEST) - even though the North American giant hosted the Cup in 1994. Qatar is also rated a strong contender.

“The United States is probably the only country that stands in Australia’s way, but by 2022 Australia will be a major player in world football and that can only help its chances,'' he said.

“There are so many factors that the members of the selection panel will look at including, sponsorship, money, television rights, time zones and global reach.

“But I also believe that when choosing the host nation 12 years in advance you have to look where the growth is, and I believe Asia is that place and Australia is as strong as any other country in that region.”

The Danish left-winger was complimentary of Australia’s bid and suggested that not much else could have been done to improve their chances.

“The Football Federation of Australia has done an excellent job just to get past the application stage and down to the final five. I don’t think they can do much more than what they have done,” he said.

Reflecting on his past seven years in Australia, Olsen said he had watched participation rates in football grow to an all-time high.

“Since I have been here grass roots football has gone from strength to strength and if the Australia bid is successful it will accelerate that development,” he said.

“There are so many kids that are playing at the moment, it is the highest participated sport and these kids will be the ones playing in 2022.

“It’s all about the development of the game in this country in the next 12 years. The infrastructure would change so much if we were successful in our bid, there would be more help towards football as a whole so we could succeed on a major stage.”

The benefits associated with hosting the World Cup would be enormous with supporters from all over the world expected to flock to Australia. South Africa, who hosted the 2010 event, recorded attendances of over three million for the month-long tournament.

“I don’t think you can measure how important it is. It will be the biggest thing that would have ever happened to football in this country,'' Olsen said.

“The infrastructure of the game would change and the spotlight of the world would be turned on Australia. You simply cannot describe how huge it would be for football here.”

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/socce...e-a-great-host
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:52 AM   #9003
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Good stuff
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:00 AM   #9004
Bolsilludo
Yo ♥ Europa & Cono Sur

Likes (Received): 4861

Source: http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33937

CONO SUR
CHILE - ARGENTINA - URUGUAY
Bolsilludo no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:05 AM   #9005
MS20

Likes (Received): 2

Even though I live in Australia, the bid presentation by the US was outstanding.
MS20 no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:13 AM   #9006
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS20 View Post
Even though I live in Australia, the bid presentation by the US was outstanding.
I didn't think it had the wow factor of some of the others, but it hammered home the main points, backed it up with statistics, and offered a concise, easy-to-understand vision of how the cup could impact both the American and international soccer platforms. Thought it simply did what it was designed to do, which was reiterate the strengths and play up FIFA's role in making it a success.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:24 AM   #9007
MS20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
I didn't think it had the wow factor of some of the others, but it hammered home the main points, backed it up with statistics, and offered a concise, easy-to-understand vision of how the cup could impact both the American and international soccer platforms. Thought it simply did what it was designed to do, which was reiterate the strengths and play up FIFA's role in making it a success.
Agreed. That's what really appealed to me, there were no gimmicks. It was a proposal in every sense of the word. Not to mention the presentation was sound and seamless (unlike Australia which I thought fell flat a few times).

For me anyway, USA 2022 was the most convincing, and made most sense. Whether FIFA officials will agree is another matter.
MS20 no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:25 AM   #9008
_X_

Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:32 AM   #9009
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsol2000 View Post
Russia 2018
USA 2022
It will be:
1. England or Russia Close race for 2018
2. USA, followed by Japan
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:35 AM   #9010
irving1903

Likes (Received): 27

i'm not gonna lie during the US Bid when they showed scenes from the bars across the country this summer i got really emotional. I guess it made me feel like i was apart of the bid.

weird ? lame ? idk. but i was happy. even if we don't get it, i'm proud of how far we've come since 94
irving1903 no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:47 AM   #9011
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by irving1903 View Post
i'm not gonna lie during the US Bid when they showed scenes from the bars across the country this summer i got really emotional. I guess it made me feel like i was apart of the bid.

weird ? lame ? idk. but i was happy. even if we don't get it, i'm proud of how far we've come since 94
And so you should be mate,the game has woken up over there.Sure, a few problems still exist but it looks like everything is heading in the right direction for the sport in the USA.
I wish you guys a little luck,just not too much
_X_ no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:48 AM   #9012
MysteryMike
BANNED

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3541/...2022-world-cup
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:51 AM   #9013
irving1903

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
I wish you guys a little luck,just not too much
good luck to yall aswell
irving1903 no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:54 AM   #9014
Baiba

When Latvia won America, somebody remember?
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:08 AM   #9015
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

This sums up the 2022 Bidding proccess for me.

Qatar =

FIFA =

Korea =

Japan (specifically their 3D tech) =

Meanwhile in 2022...

USA =

Australia =

and always remember Uruguay =
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:16 AM   #9016
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

USA Rocks

Unity in Diversity: Morgan Freeman, Landon, Bill, Sunil depict the Mosaic of a truly diversified Nation with equal opportunity and respect given to every individual irrespective of Race/Religion/Creed.

The Poise of Presentation: Bill through his oratory Skills "Give us the Honour We'll do our Best" and Landon's "Journey of a child in realising one's destiny" was put candidly and should be bring the WC back to USA hands down.

Its time for USA to make it happen again and rewrite the records in 2022.
All the best USA - THE GAME IS IN US.

Dallas, Houston, LA rock.

Last edited by antriksh_sfo; December 2nd, 2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:17 AM   #9017
Shumbi

Likes (Received): 6

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they don't give 2022 to USA.
USA is the market FIFA has coveted for decades and offers big $$$ and that's what it's about with FIFA (They gave 1986 to Colombia for narco $$).

China want's 2026 and FIFA knows this so they won't want to give it to an Asian country which rules out all but USA. I've already prepared myself for this result.

2018 will go to England.
Shumbi no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:21 AM   #9018
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by irving1903 View Post

You should have seen the offices, forutunately being in the morning hrs, the galley used to be filled with everyone, Hispanics, Asians, Women and everyone rooting for the Star & Stripes, dismay at disallowed goals much akin to the delberate rebuttal in 2002 from entering the SF. Though it was US open time, still guys changed to Soccer telecast on ESPN / ABC on large 60" screens.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:22 AM   #9019
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumbi View Post
I'll be pleasantly surprised if they don't give 2022 to USA.
USA is the market FIFA has coveted for decades and offers big $$$ and that's what it's about with FIFA (They gave 1986 to Colombia for narco $$).

China want's 2026 and FIFA knows this so they won't want to give it to an Asian country which rules out all but USA. I've already prepared myself for this result.

2018 will go to England.
Last yr's friendlies at Dallas Cowboys stadium were sold out as hot cakes. Unfortunatley could not get the tickets though my friend got 2 only and went with his aunt and they paid big time for that.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:37 AM   #9020
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Did South Korea really plead for the WC based on a possible World War III or another Korean War?

That's just absurd, if anything, this should have played out like Seoul's 1988 Olympics bid where Pyongyang wanted to co-host. In this case it would be North Korea wanting to co-host some matches in a joint bid (which of course never happened, however I wouldn't be surprised if NK wanted to co-host AFTER South Korea wins the right to host the 2022 WC, assuming of course they do).

The eventual fallout would be NK simply boycotting the 2022 WC and staging it's own event as a distraction. But then again, another Korean War could happen well before then and the eventual fate of NK decided once and for all.
Lord David no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup