daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:59 PM   #9121
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
According to William Hill, Russia is not a favorite anymore. The coefficients on Russia victory greatly soared (Russian chances fell), English coefficients were greatly increased.

Off-top: Putin ordered today's flight to Zurich in case of success (!???).
William Hill is a British-based betting company. They are always biased in favour of British wins.
AdidasGazelle no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM   #9122
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy- brissy View Post
Well Fifa don't like joint bids so i'd be surprised to see it there. If Iberia wins we get to see football in great weather and i get to go on a nice holiday for some football.
Someone who knows his stuff.
AdidasGazelle no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:02 PM   #9123
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Post your predictions here:

Predictions

England 12
Russia 10

Australia 13
USA 9
Predictions

England 13
Iberia 9

USA 12
Australia 10
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:02 PM   #9124
JimB

Likes (Received): 4789

Quote:
According to William Hill, Russia is not a favorite anymore. The coefficients on Russia victory greatly soared (Russian chances fell), English coefficients were greatly increased.

Off-top: Putin ordered today's flight to Zurich in case of success (!???).
I wouldn't pay any attention to a British bookmakers' odds. The odds only reflect the amount of risk to which the bookmaker is exposed. And since English punters are far more likely to bet on England's bid (rather than any of the others) winning, it's only natural that England's odds have shortened.

I would imagine that you could get much longer odds on England winning if you went to a Spanish or Russian bookmaker.
JimB no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:06 PM   #9125
okulaja

Likes (Received): 0

south korea and spain&portugal was best presentations
okulaja no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:08 PM   #9126
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy- brissy View Post
Well Fifa don't like joint bids so i'd be surprised to see it there. If Iberia wins we get to see football in great weather and i get to go on a nice holiday for some football.
Totally agreed about that!

But it would also mean that the next World Cup that England could possible host would be 2034. And by the time that bidding for that World Cup comes around, the case for Russia, to name just one, will be even more compelling than it is now.

So if England failed again, that would mean 2046 would be the next likely opportunity - 80 years since last hosting!

So, for that reason, if England don't win 2018, I'd like Russia to win.
JimB no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:11 PM   #9127
Schmeek

Likes (Received): 1

Just caught up on England's presentation. Not sure I can handle watching the others.....I'm a bag of nerves now. Keep trying to convince myself that it doesn't really matter where it goes - I went to Germany 2006 and I'd equally love a trip to Russia, Belgium/Holland or Iberia in 2018 (plus my little boy will turn 10 in 2018, which for me is the perfect age - the same age I was in Mexico '86 with the hand of god et al). But the chance to see it in your own backyard is something extra special, especially in your own City...

Thought the pres went really well, better than expected. Beckham performed admirably, the black guy (was it Freddie?) was very good, and David Cameron, well... what can I say? Very engaging indeed. I really couldn't stand the bloke when he was running for PM, but he has grown on me so much. He actually shares a lot of the same qualities that Tony Blair had/has. Quite likeable and charming, yet manages to come across very genuine at the same time. Not quite same league as TB, but he has been a big plus for England's bid imo.

Andy Anson was probably the weakest, along with Prince William, but they were both decent enough, just not up to the level of the others.

I thought the videos were good, and rich in feel good factor. I was slightly concerned that we were overplaying certain things such as facilities, big teams, big players, 'we could host tomorrow' etc etc.. but in hindsight, why they hell not? We're there to sell the thing and those are our strengths. We had to come out all guns blazing after all the debris we've had to wade through this last year and good on the team, I say.

Really have no idea which way it'll go. To repeat what some others have said, if it isn't England I'd prefer not to Spain. I'm not gonna go into the reasons as I need to go and make myself a big cup of tea!

These last few months I honestly thought it was nailed on for Russia, but for some unknown reason, yesterday I had this growing feeling that we had the momentum and today would be a fantastic day.

Anyway, here's to all the bids

Good luck!!
Schmeek no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:11 PM   #9128
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
As I understand it, the first thing we will hear will be the name of the winner.

I guess that it's likely that we will subsequently hear how many votes each bid received at each stage of voting.
Apparently not.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:12 PM   #9129
RobH

Likes (Received): 10325

BBC sports news correspondent James Pearce on Twitter: "If Fifa stick to their word and keep the numbers for each round of voting secret then this process will be less transparent than ever. In the past Fifa have released the voting numbers for each round."
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:16 PM   #9130
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Apparently not.
Yeah.....I just read what Rob posted.

But it's still possible that the info will be leaked into the public domain, I would have thought.
JimB no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:16 PM   #9131
railcity

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike____ View Post
this fifa stuff is so boring :/
So boring that we have already 460 pages...
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:17 PM   #9132
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7063

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Russia was fantastic until the final speaker who struggled not only with the language(understandably) but in much the same manner as Clinton yesterday-rambled off track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Totally agreed.

A great pity because Russia's was otherwise the most compelling of the presentations, IMO (am I allowed to say that, kidrobot? Did it contribute anything to the thread? ).
Unfourtunately, I can not watch TV at the workplace. But if was really so, then it only proves that Mr. Putin on his place would have looked much stronger.
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:22 PM   #9133
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Unfourtunately, I can not watch TV at the workplace. But if was really so, then it only proves that Mr. Putin on his place would have looked much stronger.
Absolutely agree.Apparently it was he who nearly single-handedly got Sochi
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM   #9134
WFInsider
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4443

Go Russia 2018 !

Best presentation! Best choice! For FIFA! For World Football!
WFInsider no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM   #9135
stevensp

Likes (Received): 64

im quite nervous
I really happy belgium-netherlands will win..
it would be nice.. everything close to eachother.. a great WC for sure...
maybe not the most fancy one.. but a great atmosphere for sure.. in the whole 2 countries entirely, not only around the stadiums...

+ more project updates will be posted soon!
stevensp no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM   #9136
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

I tell you something ... If Spain win this i'll be gobsmacked. Their press are reporting they have 9 votes in the bag already ...

That leaves just 13 to fight for between the other 3 ...
Ecological no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:57 PM   #9137
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
I tell you something ... If Spain win this i'll be gobsmacked. Their press are reporting they have 9 votes in the bag already ...

That leaves just 13 to fight for between the other 3 ...
They have 8.Their problem is that thats about as good as it gets.The anti Qatar-Spain sentiment is very strong
The advantage of having so many votes early is the ability to orchestrate the early departure of a dangerous opponent.
The final two for '18 will be Spain and-England/Russia
It can't be England and Russia in the final two
Same in '22,Qatar will make the final two---but its highly unlikely they will win
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:00 PM   #9138
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

BBC Sport: We haven't had much in the way of info from Zurich since the presentations ended - blame Fifa's secret ballot for that. But, with just over an hour to go until the winners are announced, here's some breaking news - and it is quite encouraging too. BBC Sport's editor David Bond says a Fifa executive committee member has told him that England's presentation has made a "big difference". How big? We will have to wait and see...
Ecological no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:02 PM   #9139
RobH

Likes (Received): 10325

I'm not getting my hopes up
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:04 PM   #9140
Schmeek

Likes (Received): 1

Forget 'how big' - I'm more concerned whether it's a positive or a negative difference..

The BBC should stay waaaay cear of Zurich as well!
Schmeek no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup