daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 10th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #901
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo2004
Totally agree with you. Some people just refuse to see what is evident. Then it's those same people that keep quiet and whistle away when things go terribly wrong - like the innocent brasilian shot dead because he was a "terrorist".
You are on the way for a banning mate! The amount of bullshit you spout on here is starting to stink! I could respond to this comment with reasons explaining how stupid your last point is, but that would divert this thread from its focus. Stay on topic you diot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy
Australia deserves it.. they have the resources.. and staging the world cup there would greatly boost the game in that region
Not sure how this really makes sense. Australia deserves it...why? They have the resources...so do many many other countries round the world. A world cup would boost the game in the region...yes, that is one advantageous point, but you could go down the opposite route and say that other countries are more passionate about football then Australia and therfore would relish hosting a WC more! Just playing devil's advocate here btw, don't take offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocial
2014: Brazil
2018: Australia
2022: Canada
2026: China
2028: Espaņa
2032: Egipto.
2036: Argentina
2040: Nueva Zelanda
2044: Mexico
2048: Taiwan
2052: Portugal
2056: Nigeria
Apart from the obvious point that other people have pointed out about the mess up in years, that list is realllllly unlikely...in fact impossible!
For one thing, Australia is in the Asian confederation...this will have some advatges for Australian football, but it might also backfire in terms of hosting a WC, because they are the only country that could host one in Oceania, but in Asia they could quite likely lose to China....
For another thing, the WC will not skip Europe for 4 rotations...in fact 2010 and 2014 will be the first time ever that the WC has been away from Europe for two consecutive times!
Thirdly, Egypt, Taiwan and New Zealand will probably never host a WC, unless some serious economic and cultural changes happen in those countries.
Forthly, England is nowhere to be seen on that list, and that is just plain impossible! That would mean about 100 years will pass before the country that is best suited to hosting a WC and that gave the world the game will host the WC.....and Portugal and Spain will host it before England........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm
Yeah, all games can be staged in 2 stadiums. Sorry, but the tournament's too big for Uruguay now.
Yer, I have to agree with you here, I don't see Uruguay being able to host another WC, it's just not feasable for a country with such a low population, with so few stadiums and need for stadiums to host the biggest event in all of sports.

Unfortunately the criteria for hosting a WC is becoming more and more demanding with every year that passes. France for instance would struggle to host one these days, even though they did so back in 98, cus the rules have changed. Capacities have to be 40,000 minimum, and that could well increase in a couple of decades. Pretty much all the seats have to be under cover, you have to have a minimum of 9 or 10 high capacity stadiums situatied in different cities (with two allowed in one).

How many nations in the future will be able to host a tournament of this magitude....Only England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, SA, Brazil, USA, Canda, China and Australia can really host one on their own. I know FIFA doesn't like joint bids, but I think they are going to have to accept them in years to come, else none of the smaller nations around the world will see the WC coming to them ever again!!!!

Btw, Wikipedia has updated its page on the 2018 WC, check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_world_cup

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #902
JimB

Likes (Received): 4782

Quote:
Totally agree with you. Some people just refuse to see what is evident. Then it's those same people that keep quiet and whistle away when things go terribly wrong - like the innocent brasilian shot dead because he was a "terrorist".
The relevance of this is...................................what, exactly?

And are you trying to tell us that the Portuguese police has never, ever made a tragic mistake that resulted in a fatality?

Well?

Are you?
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #903
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...

Likes (Received): 199

I think that in 2014 it will be Argentina or Brazil and in 2018 Australia. In 2022 a country in Asia and in 2026 a country in Europe (maybe England??).
It can also be that a country in middle east will host the world cup, but I could becouse the political situation in some countries is not good (like in Iran).

Last edited by Castle_Bravo; July 11th, 2006 at 12:10 AM.
Castle_Bravo no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #904
al74

Likes (Received): 23

Unfortunately Uruguay is a small country for hosting a world cup, but surely could host a Fifa Confederations cup. We will have to renovate Centenario and build one or two new stadia; maybe in Paysandú, and Maldonado, or upgrading Domingo Burgueņo stadium in Maldonado.

2014 - Brazil itīs time for South America and why not for the second Maracanazo
2018 - England

I donīt believe Australia deserves to host a wc; for qualifying to a world cup they only won a match, against Uruguay and after penalties, I donīt consider Papua New Guinea, or Solomon Islands, or Tuvalu a contender, .........itīs like playing against an under 12 team............ridiculous........

Centroamerican teams, asian teams and Oceania teams, they donīt exist for me, they are in the world cup only to reach de number of 32 teams........the world cup should be played by

6 South American teams
18 European teams
4 African teams
wc winner
host
2 Rest of the world teams
al74 no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #905
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle_Bravo
I think that in 2014 it will be Argentina or Brazil and in 2018 Australia. In 2022 a country in Asia and in 2026 a country in Europe (maybe England??).
If the 2018 World Cup is held in Australia, then the 2022 World Cup could not possibly be held in Asia.

Australia is now, as far as football is concerned, an Asian country. It is a member of the Asian Football Confederation. FIFA will not stage two consecutive World Cups on the same continent.

Asia will host either 2018 or 2022. And it will go to either China or Australia.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #906
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Wait, you need 10 stadiums +40 000 seating, that have covered stands right? So that would mean like...Whoa!! 6 new stadiums if Canada were to host!

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #907
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chocho
Wait, you need 10 stadiums +40 000 seating, that have covered stands right? So that would mean like...Whoa!! 6 new stadiums if Canada were to host!
Probably not.

I think FIFA would relax their rules on covered stands.

After all, most U.S. stadia used in World Cup 1994 didn't have rooves. And Marseilles' Stade Velodrome, used in 1998, only has a roof on one side.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #908
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

I'm not sure if this has been said before, but I'm saying it now. What makes people think Australia is going to get a WC in the next 20 years? and for that matter deserves one. It seems to me there are too many question marks before they could be even close. Here are some of my doubts.

The obvious ones, it's going to played smack in the middle of the Aussie Winter. I don't care what anyone says, Melbourne and Sydney can have some pretty shitty weather this time of year. Plus games on the East coast will have poor kick off times for the Europeans. I know that shouldn't matter, but I bet it does.

Most of the grounds proposed, are used during this time for the beloved AFL, Rugby League and Union. FIFA request no sports to be played at WC venues for at least a month before a tournament for the pitches to be in perfect condition. Are the Aussies willing to postpone AFL, RL and possibly super 14 for a season? (affecting South Africa and NZ as well) I doubt it!

Now the Aussies have joined the Asia Confederation, I'd be amazed if they were given the opportunity by the Confederation to stage a WC before China. Surely they would have had a better chance by staying with Oceania.

What is the basis for an Aussie bid, the fact they they qualified for the finals for the first time in 32 years?. Does this mean if they hadn't qualified for Germany, then no bid would be expected. I can understand why the WC has been to Japan, the US and possibly China in the future. Population sizes, the growth of the game and of course money are the key factors. I'm not too sure Australia are in two of those categories.

I don't want to sound negative, I now live in this corner of the World and would love nothing more then to see the WC played 'down under'. I'm just curious what makes a lot of people think Australia deserves one more then other countries.
KiwiBrit no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:59 AM   #909
MrCopy
Acarigua - Araure

Likes (Received): 0

Mi lista se basa en la rotacion entre continente, seria justo para cada continente, no creen, es mas America merece ser organizador de mas copa por las 9 copas que poseen, que hasta ayer fue igualada por Europa con la copa alcanzada por Italia.

My list is based on the rotation between continent, serious right for each continent, do not create, is but America deserves to be organizing of but glass by the 9 glasses that they have, that until was even yesterday by Europe with the glass reached about Italy.
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #910
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

2018 should go to California! we have plenty of stadiums, more people than most countries, by that time pushing 50 million people, and many many soccer fans from all over the world. Los Angeles would have the Colosieum (90,000), the Rose Bowl (90,000), Home Depot Center (27,000), but by that time it could be expanded to accomodate more fans so we can get to 40,000, San Diego has the Chargers Stadium (65,000+), San francisco has a few Stadia as well, with Stanford and Cal both having decent sized Stadia. Also, if need be, we can use Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium, Petco Park, SBC, and the Oakland Colosieum. By that time, the California High Speed rail will be completed linking, LA, SF, SD, Orange County etc, and fans would have a pretty easy time seeing all games!

im half joking, but i would seriously love to see this. in 94, if your team was playing a round one game in LA, it would be way to expensive to follow them to Chicago or NJ or wherever else they went. they need to regionalize in a big country like America.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #911
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

sounds like a good idea to me

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #912
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1102

Quote:
Most of the grounds proposed, are used during this time for the beloved AFL, Rugby League and Union. FIFA request no sports to be played at WC venues for at least a month before a tournament for the pitches to be in perfect condition. Are the Aussies willing to postpone AFL, RL and possibly super 14 for a season? (affecting South Africa and NZ as well) I doubt it!
I've already said this.
Quote:
I don't want to sound negative, I now live in this corner of the World and would love nothing more then to see the WC played 'down under'. I'm just curious what makes a lot of people think Australia deserves one more then other countries.
No aussie's are saying we deserve the world cup. We just believe that we are capable of putting a bloody good cup together because we are a wealthy and stable country in region where soccer is number one (bear it not at home).
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #913
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
We just believe that we are capable of putting a bloody good cup together because we are a wealthy and stable country in region where soccer is number one (bear it not at home).
I agree Australia is capable of hosting a WC. but how would you get over the hurdle of ground sharing with at least 3 other sporting codes?

Also, what do you mean "a region where soccer is number one"? I would say as a region (Oceania) could argue many sports as it's number one.
KiwiBrit no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #914
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1102

Quote:
Also, what do you mean "a region where soccer is number one"? I would say as a region (Oceania) could argue many sports as it's number one.
Ah, Well I'm from Perth so my regional focus is towards South East Asia rather than the Pacific but your right that many (east coast) Australians may consider the region of oceania but do remember that Australia is now part of the AFC so in soccere terms, the region is South East Asia.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #915
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocial
Mi lista se basa en la rotacion entre continente, seria justo para cada continente, no creen, es mas America merece ser organizador de mas copa por las 9 copas que poseen, que hasta ayer fue igualada por Europa con la copa alcanzada por Italia.

My list is based on the rotation between continent, serious right for each continent, do not create, is but America deserves to be organizing of but glass by the 9 glasses that they have, that until was even yesterday by Europe with the glass reached about Italy.
Nice online translation!

I see what you're saying but World Cup venues are no longer chosen on the basis of which continents are the most successful. That always used to be the case because, until USA 1994, no World Cup had ever been held outside of Europe or Latin America. Asia only staged its first World Cup four years ago. Africa won't stage its first World Cup until 2010.

A strict policy of rotation (or one favouring South America, as you suggest) is unworkable for the simple reason that there are not enough South American countries capable of staging the World Cup. There are even doubts about Brazil's current ability to stage a World Cup, given the poor state of stadiums and inadequate infrastructure.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #916
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim
You are on the way for a banning mate! The amount of bullshit you spout on here is starting to stink! I could respond to this comment with reasons explaining how stupid your last point is, but that would divert this thread from its focus. Stay on topic you diot!
Listen here, what I did was give my true opinion on why Portugal can hold a world cup. I was also obviously refering to the security issue which in my opinion should count heavily on the minds of FIFA. What I did was give an example of how security in England is lacking and the results are known. Nowhere did I call names or insult anyone. So don't come here insulting me just because my opinion is presumably different from yours. Call me names again and I'll make sure you get banned- but with a reason.

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #917
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Listen here, what I did was give my true opinion on why Portugal can hold a world cup. I was also obviously refering to the security issue which in my opinion should count heavily on the minds of FIFA. What I did was give an example of how security in England is lacking and the results are known. Nowhere did I call names or insult anyone. So don't come here insulting me just because my opinion is presumably different from yours. Call me names again and I'll make sure you get banned- but with a reason.
You used an extremely poor example that has very little to do with security for a WC then went into a xenophobic conspiriacy theory.

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2005/61669.htm

"c. Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman, or Degrading
Treatment or Punishment

The law prohibits such practices; however, there were credible reports of disproportionate use of force by police and of mistreatment and other forms of abuse by prison guards against detainees.

During the year the IGAI investigated new reports of mistreatment and abuse by police and prison guards (see section 1.d.).

An internal prison inquiry into the beating of Albino Libânio in 2003 found that he had sustained multiple injuries from an assault that may have amounted to torture. A criminal investigation into the matter was pending, and disciplinary proceedings against several prison officers were ongoing."

I guess Portugal isnt fit to host a WC either?
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #918
JimB

Quote:
Rubbish. Your reference to the tragic shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes was entirely gratuitous.

Listen, if you want to point fingers and cherry pick incidents which show the British police in a bad light, then I'm quite sure that Brits could respond in kind.

However, that would be a very immature response and we don't want to stoop to your level. This thread is about possible venues for the World Cup and we mustn't allow you to derail it by starting a slanging match.

On the subject of security, I'll repeat what I wrote in an earlier post. Terrorists desire and need, above all, the oxygen of publicity. The World Cup enjoys an enormous, worldwide media profile. A bomb explosion at a World Cup in Portugal would receive every bit as much worldwide publicity as a bomb explosion at a World Cup in England. Or U.S.A. Or Brazil. Or China. Or South Africa. Or anywhere esle in the world.

So if terrorists ever decide that the World Cup would be a worthwhile target, then a World Cup in Portugal would be no more secure than one in England.

So enough of your nonsense. Let's talk about stadiums and how much emotional support England or Portugal would have, because those are the criteria that matter.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #919
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB
Rubbish. Your reference to the tragic shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes was entirely gratuitous.

Listen, if you want to point fingers and cherry pick incidents which show the British police in a bad light, then I'm quite sure that Brits could respond in kind.

However, that would be a very immature response and we don't want to stoop to your level. This thread is about possible venues for the World Cup and we mustn't allow you to derail it by starting a slanging match.

On the subject of security, I'll repeat what I wrote in an earlier post. Terrorists desire and need, above all, the oxygen of publicity. The World Cup enjoys an enormous, worldwide media profile. A bomb explosion at a World Cup in Portugal would receive every bit as much worldwide publicity as a bomb explosion at a World Cup in England. Or U.S.A. Or Brazil. Or China. Or South Africa. Or anywhere esle in the world.

So if terrorists ever decide that the World Cup would be a worthwhile target, then a World Cup in Portugal would be no more secure than one in England.

So enough of your nonsense. Let's talk about stadiums and how much emotional support England or Portugal would have, because those are the criteria that matter.
It was an example that occured at the moment. I obviously disagree with you. Security is and always will be a criteria. To me it should have much more importance than emotional support. I mean, who are you to say that stadiums and emotional support, as you put it, are the only criterea to be taken into account? They are important obviously, but countries that have high level of crime, hooliganism or are a political target should (and I'm not saying England has all three!!) should be penalised in some way when voting begins to decide the best bid. My inner thoughts tell me you are simply making a big issue out of the example I gave (which like it or not, it has to do with security) in order to reflect one's attention on what I initially began discussing and that was security as an IMPORTANT criteria when hosting the world cup. I will accept that the example probably was far-fetched but I will stick to my initial opinion and that is Portugal has better chances of hosting the world cup 2018 than England if security is taken seriously into account.

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.

Last edited by Paulo2004; July 11th, 2006 at 05:44 PM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #920
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
It was an example that occured at the moment. I obviously disagree with you. Security is and always will be a criteria. To me it should have much more importance than emotional support. I mean, who are you to say that stadiums and emotional support, as you put it, are the only criterea to be taken into account? They are important obviously, but countries that have high level of crime, hooliganism or are a political target should (and I'm not saying England has all three!!) should be penalised in some way when voting begins to decide the best bid. My inner thoughts tell me you are simply making a big issue out of the example I gave (which like it or not, it has to do with security) in order to reflect one's attention on what I initially began discussing and that was security as an IMPORTANT criteria when hosting the world cup. I will accept that the example probably was far-fetched but I will stick to my initial opinion and that is Portugal has better chances of hosting the world cup 2018 than England if security is taken seriously into account.
That one example was a very poor one though and didnt represent the overall arguement at all. As my example shows you can dig up isolated incidents for any country pretty easily but that doesnt mean they reflect a nation as a whole or its suitability to host a major sporting event.

The fact that FIFA seem willing to let SA host 2010 and Brazil host 2014 dispite both nations having much higher violent crime levels than most devolped countries suggests to me it isnt a massive factor.

Last edited by MoreOrLess; July 11th, 2006 at 05:56 PM.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup