daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 11th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #921
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

I have made my point very clear.

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #922
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

huh?

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #923
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo2004
It was an example that occured at the moment. I obviously disagree with you. Security is and always will be a criteria. To me it should have much more importance than emotional support. I mean, who are you to say that stadiums and emotional support, as you put it, are the only criterea to be taken into account?
Erm.......when did I say that security wasn't important? The point that I was making (that appears to have passed you by completely!) is that, with regard to a possible terrorist attack on the World Cup, Portugal would not be that much more secure than England.

Quote:
They are important obviously, but countries that have high level of crime, hooliganism or are a political target should (and I'm not saying England has all three!!) should be penalised in some way when voting begins to decide the best bid.
And perhaps countries that don't need many big stadiums should be barred from bidding for the World Cup because they would only be building white elephants?

Quote:
My inner thoughts tell me you are simply making a big issue out of the example I gave (which like it or not, it has to do with security) in order to reflect one's attention on what I initially began discussing and that was security as an IMPORTANT criteria when hosting the world cup.
In what way does the tragic shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes reflect on security in Britain? It was a case of mistaken identity. And if the point you are trying to make is one of incompetent policemen carrying guns, I would be prepared to bet you a considerable sum that the Portuguese police have shot more innocent people over the years than British police.

Quote:
I will accept that the example probably was far-fetched but I will stick to my initial opinion and that is Portugal has better chances of hosting the world cup 2018 than England if security is taken seriously into account.
Of course security should and will be taken seriously into account. But the point is that there is little to choose between Portugal and England in terms of security. Therefore, the deciding factors will lie elsewhere.....like the stadiums, for instance. Oh, yes, stadiums..........
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #924
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB
Erm.......when did I say that security wasn't important? The point that I was making (that appears to have passed you by completely!) is that, with regard to a possible terrorist attack on the World Cup, Portugal would not be that much more secure than England. .........
Like I said, I have made my point of view very clear and I will stick to it. Regarding your last comments, you've added nothing new to your already previously points of view, which I will respect, but totally disagree with.

Old July 11th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #925
AndyKane

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
2018 should go to California! we have plenty of stadiums, more people than most countries, by that time pushing 50 million people, and many many soccer fans from all over the world. Los Angeles would have the Colosieum (90,000), the Rose Bowl (90,000), Home Depot Center (27,000), but by that time it could be expanded to accomodate more fans so we can get to 40,000, San Diego has the Chargers Stadium (65,000+), San francisco has a few Stadia as well, with Stanford and Cal both having decent sized Stadia. Also, if need be, we can use Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium, Petco Park, SBC, and the Oakland Colosieum. By that time, the California High Speed rail will be completed linking, LA, SF, SD, Orange County etc, and fans would have a pretty easy time seeing all games!

im half joking, but i would seriously love to see this. in 94, if your team was playing a round one game in LA, it would be way to expensive to follow them to Chicago or NJ or wherever else they went. they need to regionalize in a big country like America.
You must be joking if you're thinking of playing WC games in baseball stadia! The World Cup generally takes place during the baseball season, and so would be a non-starter to play games in these grounds. Plus, the TV audience in the States would be significantly reduced as many people would watch baseball if the times clashed with a football (or soccer as you may call it) match.
AndyKane no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #926
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 85

Ok, for all these people saying that Australia doesn't deserve a World Cup, a response.

I think we do deserve a WC. Soccer is extremely popular in Australia. Probably the most popular sport. You see, although people in Queensland and New South Wales generally support NRL and people in Victoria, SA, WA and Tasmania generally support AFL, very few people dislike soccer. And I'm sure the issue of competeing sporting codes would be no different from USA 1994. Also, the new national soccer tournament, the A-League was extremely successful in its first year last year with average crowds were 10,861(11810 not including New Zealand)(IN THE FIRST SEASON!!!), compared to the English Championship with 17,124, the USA with 15,108, South Korea with 11,352. Yeah, they're not absolutely enormous figures, but by 2022, they'll be a lot bigger. Also with all this stuff about Australia only having qualified twice for the world cup, why does that mean we shouldn't host one. Canada hasn't qualified since 1986 and no one's questioning them. And besides, because we were part of the OFC, which only recieved half of a qualifying place in the WC finals. Now that we are in the AFC, we'll have a much better chance of maintaining out place. Next, yes the WC would be during our winter, and during the NRL and AFL seasons(Not S14 but. That's from January-April i think). However, the Australian governments would be willing to move hell and earth to get the World Cup. for the 2000 olympics and 2006 commonwealth games Daylight Savings was changed, school holidays were changed, i think nrl and afl schedules were changed(and the 2000 olympics were around the time of the finals).
Macca-GC no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #927
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman
Ok, for all these people saying that Australia doesn't deserve a World Cup, a response.

I think we do deserve a WC. Soccer is extremely popular in Australia. Probably the most popular sport. You see, although people in Queensland and New South Wales generally support NRL and people in Victoria, SA, WA and Tasmania generally support AFL, very few people dislike soccer. And I'm sure the issue of competeing sporting codes would be no different from USA 1994. Also, the new national soccer tournament, the A-League was extremely successful in its first year last year with average crowds were 10,861(11810 not including New Zealand)(IN THE FIRST SEASON!!!), compared to the English Championship with 17,124, the USA with 15,108, South Korea with 11,352. Yeah, they're not absolutely enormous figures, but by 2022, they'll be a lot bigger. Also with all this stuff about Australia only having qualified twice for the world cup, why does that mean we shouldn't host one. Canada hasn't qualified since 1986 and no one's questioning them. And besides, because we were part of the OFC, which only recieved half of a qualifying place in the WC finals. Now that we are in the AFC, we'll have a much better chance of maintaining out place. Next, yes the WC would be during our winter, and during the NRL and AFL seasons(Not S14 but. That's from January-April i think). However, the Australian governments would be willing to move hell and earth to get the World Cup. for the 2000 olympics and 2006 commonwealth games Daylight Savings was changed, school holidays were changed, i think nrl and afl schedules were changed(and the 2000 olympics were around the time of the finals).
I don't think there are that many people who are arguing against Australia hosting a World Cup. Only one person that I can remember. I happen to think that China are more likely to be the next Asian host of the World Cup. But if that happens, I reckon that Australia will get the following Asian World Cup.

Incidentally, just because some people won't realise what you've done, the figures for England that yuo've quoted are for the second tier of English football. The Premiership average attendance is about 34,000.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #928
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Australia deserves and will hold a world cup. Just look at the marvellous, organised Olympics that it has already hosted. The best one ever in the last decade.

Old July 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #929
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Firstly. Paulo, you are a complete div and half the things you say really should not be listened to.

Secondly. England fans were voted once again the best at this years World Cup by the committee so your statment of England fans being sore losers after they went out is complete fiction due to the fact that out of 11,000 fans that were arrested only 700 belonged to England and only 34 were anything more then precautionary. Germany had over 300 major arrests in one night to put that in perspective.

England once again took the largest following with over 300,000 fans in total visiting or watching the games in the respective cities.

Portugal have a very limited chance if any at all of hosting the next European World Cup. You also talk about secruity but I think you must have forgotten a fellow season ticket holder at Wolves who was fatally stabbed in the heart while sitting down for a meal in Lisbon during the tournament. The police had failed to react and the attacker was eventually caught by other England fans.

Plus I would hate to see England fans outnumber your own again when you're playing in your own national stadium. No country that lets that happen deserves bugger all. If anything its about time FIFA rewarded the massive travelling army of England fans which make the journey to every major tournament they particpate in.

On the Australia front. Im not sure why people all of a sudden think they deserve to host a major World Cup. They have come on leaps and bounds but after Brazil in 2014, its back off to Europe. It wont be till 2022 at the earliest before another Asian confederation country gets it again.

Old July 12th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #930
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

you know it really winds me up when people slag off england so lets get some things clear here.For starters this country invented the sport so all you lot that like football remember if it weren't for england footy wouldn't exist second we deserve to host the world cup more than any other country forty years since the last time we hosted the world cup it is a disgrace.we have better security than anyone.better football stadiums than anyone and are getting even better and bigger.best league in the world and the biggest following of football anywhere else in the world.anyone else dare to slag us off.maybe you slag us off cos we are the only nation that had guts in ww2
marrio415 no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #931
dANIEL2004

London has better security???lol
dANIEL2004 no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #932
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415
you know it really winds me up when people slag off england so lets get some things clear here.For starters this country invented the sport so all you lot that like football remember if it weren't for england footy wouldn't exist second we deserve to host the world cup more than any other country forty years since the last time we hosted the world cup it is a disgrace.we have better security than anyone.better football stadiums than anyone and are getting even better and bigger.best league in the world and the biggest following of football anywhere else in the world.anyone else dare to slag us off.maybe you slag us off cos we are the only nation that had guts in ww2
u really shudnt worry.england has a great chance of winning the 2018 bid. the world cup will be out of this world. the revenues and ticket sales would challenge that of US 1994 and the whole world will flock to the UK for the world cup.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #933
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim
Firstly. Paulo, you are a complete div and half the things you say really should not be listened to.

Secondly. England fans were voted once again the best at this years World Cup by the committee so your statment of England fans being sore losers after they went out is complete fiction due to the fact that out of 11,000 fans that were arrested only 700 belonged to England and only 34 were anything more then precautionary. Germany had over 300 major arrests in one night to put that in perspective.

England once again took the largest following with over 300,000 fans in total visiting or watching the games in the respective cities.

Portugal have a very limited chance if any at all of hosting the next European World Cup. You also talk about secruity but I think you must have forgotten a fellow season ticket holder at Wolves who was fatally stabbed in the heart while sitting down for a meal in Lisbon during the tournament. The police had failed to react and the attacker was eventually caught by other England fans.

Plus I would hate to see England fans outnumber your own again when you're playing in your own national stadium. No country that lets that happen deserves bugger all. If anything its about time FIFA rewarded the massive travelling army of England fans which make the journey to every major tournament they particpate in.

On the Australia front. Im not sure why people all of a sudden think they deserve to host a major World Cup. They have come on leaps and bounds but after Brazil in 2014, its back off to Europe. It wont be till 2022 at the earliest before another Asian confederation country gets it again.
i do think australia could host a world cup but not before 2018 and 2022 is better timing. there is no major reason they shud be getting 2014 or 2018...there are other more worthy countries.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #934
Mo Rush

what security issue in england? hundreds of thousands of people travel in and out of england on a daily basis...oh boo hoo one bombing..."security issues" wont be on FIFA's mind that much...not enough to raise fears about security if england was to host the world cup...england has the security resources...
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:46 AM   #935
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6296

Quote:
Originally Posted by dANIEL2004
London has better security???lol
Errr....I don't know what the hell you're laughing at mate, cus London does have better security then just about any other city in the world. It has the most extensive cctv camera network in the underground Tube stations then anywhere else in the world; it has a vast amount of highly trained policeman and various other security forces all over the city; most buildings have their own stringent security checks and there are plenty of other means of protecting the pupuic which are implimented behind the scenes.

If all you're basing your snide little comment on is the 7/7 attack, that is pretty lame! September 11, the Madrid Bombings, Munich massacre at the 1972 Olympic games, the bomb set off at the Atlanta 1996 Olympics, the recent Mumbai train bombings etc etc........terrorism can happen in any city anywhere in the world, no matter how secure a it is, so don't talk about what you clearly don't know, cus if you did know anything you'd know you can't find many cities with better overall security then London, and crime is one of the lowest in the EU!

Unless you have facts and reasoning to back up your statements mate, I suggest you refrain from trolling onto a thread and posting one-line nonsense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
what security issue in england? hundreds of thousands of people travel in and out of england on a daily basis...oh boo hoo one bombing..."security issues" wont be on FIFA's mind that much...not enough to raise fears about security if england was to host the world cup...england has the security resources...
Exactly!

This issue of security in England has gone on far too long, it's been addressed, the idiots have been put right and now everyone should just drop it.

As far as the issue of Australia goes, I don't think 'deserves' is really the right word to apply to a possible WC for them. I think they would, could and should host a magnificent WC, as they did with the Olympics and Commonwealth games. They have the resources and a pretty decent starting bid as far as the stadiums go, and the level of enthusiasm for football is growing every year, especially with the 'socceroos' getting throught to the last 16 this year and only getting beaten cus of the cheaty McCheat cheat Italians diving left right and centre. The issues of the time difference, the summer/winter thing, the clash with other sports in the country, possible lack of hosting cities etc etc are problems that will obviously have to be dealt with, but it shouldn't be too hard to get around them all.

I would like to see them get to host a WC in the near future, ahead of China, but as far as 'deserving' a WC goes, I don't buy it! There are only a very few countries that you can say are deserving of one at the moment, the ones that spring to mind are Brazil (most successful footballing nation) and England (birthplace of football, by 2018 won't have hosted it for 52 years, longer then any of the other big European nations, have the stadiums etc etc). Apart from those two countries, I wouldn't really say anybody else 'desveres' a WC.

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim está en línea ahora  
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #936
Canadian Chocho

I think he's right, London does have good security, and after the "incident", it has probably made them even safer.

1 2 3
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #937
megamouthman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim

Englands support wasn't the biggest polands was and england only took 100,000 to polands 300,000. get your facts right.
megamouthman no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #938
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 85

I agree, I don't think Australia should get the 2018 WC. That should without a doubt go to England. Really, I honestly think you guys should have it. However I think that 2022 should return to Asia and then it obviously comes down to China or Australia. And I don't see how people can say that Australia doesn't 'deserve' a World Cup but China does when Australia is ranked 33rd, when China is ranked 89th and their best ranking EVER was 37th in December 1998.SOURCE
Macca-GC no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:50 AM   #939
Canadian Chocho

But would the 2012 Olympics screw up Englands bid?

1 2 3
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:06 AM   #940
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamouthman
Englands support wasn't the biggest polands was and england only took 100,000 to polands 300,000. get your facts right.
As everyone suspected, the Poles took a lot of fans to their games in Germany. One major reason..........

They only had to fall over the border.

They all went home again the next day.

In terms of fans who went for the duration, stayed to watch games involving other countries, contributed significantly to the German economy etc, England fans were comfortably the biggest group.

And whereas you can guarantee (if England qualify) that there will be tens upon tens of thousands of England fans in South Africa for 2010, you can equally guarantee (since SA isn't just over the border) that there will not be that many Polish fans.
JimB no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup