daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 13th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #941
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB
As everyone suspected, the Poles took a lot of fans to their games in Germany. One major reason..........

They only had to fall over the border.

They all went home again the next day.

In terms of fans who went for the duration, stayed to watch games involving other countries, contributed significantly to the German economy etc, England fans were comfortably the biggest group.

And whereas you can guarantee (if England qualify) that there will be tens upon tens of thousands of England fans in South Africa for 2010, you can equally guarantee (since SA isn't just over the border) that there will not be that many Polish fans.
south africa is quite packed in the summer with english fans when they visit for cricket...they quite like south africa...

have a look..a friendly match between south africa and england in 2003

[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/xc/50847250.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B3BC7DDBC47957F58893E176772397D1[/IMG]

Last edited by Mo Rush; July 13th, 2006 at 04:44 AM.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #942
bobo_greek

Likes (Received): 0

i wouldn't mind greece joint bid with another country for 2018 but i think england has it in the bag. i wouldnt like to see australia host it as yet as i personaly think our country is not yet ready. maybe 2022. we have to wait and see how the league is going to turn out.
bobo_greek no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #943
BaronVonChickenpants

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamouthman
Englands support wasn't the biggest polands was and england only took 100,000 to polands 300,000. get your facts right.

err...wrong..according to FIFA,England had the second biggest support behind the hosts,Germany.
BaronVonChickenpants no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #944
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
south africa is quite packed in the summer with english fans when they visit for cricket...they quite like south africa...

have a look..a friendly match between south africa and england in 2003

[/IMG]
I went for the training session with my cuz for this game, saw Faghem, Owen,.......well all of them

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #945
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamouthman
Englands support wasn't the biggest polands was and england only took 100,000 to polands 300,000. get your facts right.
Actually 120,000+ fans attended the 5 England games. In every case there were at least 50,000 extra watching the game on Giant TV screens across the city they were playing.

If you do the maths, it explains it all. And as JimB explained. Considering Poland is only across the border 300,000 is a pretty poor number.

Quote:
England are the best (well, their fans are)
ESPNsoccernet Updated: July 2, 2006

The World Cup Organising Committee (OC) have hailed England fans as the best in the world following a mainly trouble-free tournament in Germany.

There were only a few minor incidents in Gelsenkirchen yesterday - more than 100 drunk English fans were taken into temporary custody after clashing with the police - following England's epic shoot-out defeat to Portugal.

Given the 80.000 English fans in Gelsenkirchen, the figure stands relatively small - and OC spokesperson Gerd Graus confirmed the very positive perception of England supporters throughout the whole tournament.

'The English fans said before the tournament they were the world champions as far as celebrating is concerned and they certainly lived up to his billing,' Graus said.

'It was great to see the celebrations of the thousands of fans who poured into the country. They celebrated football in a very unique way. We have to note the minor incidents but all in all they are pretty much negligible.'

FIFA spokesperson Markus Siegler offered a word of warning.

'In general English fans - fans - are among the best in the world. We know that not only since this World Cup,' he stated.

'They were great fans. And I emphasise fans - they love football and are no troublemakers.

'But 100 troublemakers are still too many.'

Old July 13th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #946
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415
you know it really winds me up when people slag off england so lets get some things clear here.For starters this country invented the sport so all you lot that like football remember if it weren't for england footy wouldn't exist second we deserve to host the world cup more than any other country forty years since the last time we hosted the world cup it is a disgrace.we have better security than anyone.better football stadiums than anyone and are getting even better and bigger.best league in the world and the biggest following of football anywhere else in the world.anyone else dare to slag us off.maybe you slag us off cos we are the only nation that had guts in ww2
And if it wasn't for the Romans, we'd all still be sitting in caves. I think England deserves to host the cup in 2018, I fail to see though what WW2 has to do with this discussion.

And no, you don't have the best football stadiums. Maybe in 2018 but not right now.
Kampflamm está en línea ahora  
Old July 13th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #947
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm
And if it wasn't for the Romans, we'd all still be sitting in caves. I think England deserves to host the cup in 2018, I fail to see though what WW2 has to do with this discussion.

And no, you don't have the best football stadiums. Maybe in 2018 but not right now.
yo Kampfy dont listen to rubbish like that WW2 crap, only thing that matters is who has the best bid and who deserves it and in both cases its England.
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #948
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 274

For The World Cup of 2014: Argentina & Chile.
Old July 13th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #949
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Wouldn't mind that.

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #950
Mr. Maciek

Australia plans for big tournaments.

Australian football is hatching ambitious plans to host the 2011 Asian Cup finals as well as the 2018 or 2022 World Cup finals.

Football Federation Australia chief executive John O'Neill outlined a strategy of firstly proving to Asia that Australia is capable of staging the region's championships, then using that to show the world what it can do.

The new FFA administration headed by billionaire football lover Frank Lowy has already got the ball rolling by achieving three key targets in short order - getting the Socceroos to the World Cup finals, tying Australia's future into Asia and getting the domestic A-League up and running.

There is no reason to believe it can't come good with its wider goals in a country that has already hosted major events such as Olympic and Commonwealth Games and rugby's world cup.

"We are very ambitious to host major events," said O'Neill.

He said the Asian championships rotated in a four-year hosting pattern between central, western and eastern Asia and Australia's ASEAN zone.

The FFA, along with State and Federal governments, could put forward a "compelling" case to host the Asian Cup in 2011, he said.

"What we've got to do is establish our credentials so that we can put our hand up to host the World Cup," he said.

The earliest that could happen is 2018, he believes.

After this year's tournament in Germany, the 2010 World Cup has been awarded to South Africa, Brazil is a hot favourite for 2014 and there is speculation that London has been promised the next one.

"We would be very keen to give it a crack in 2018, and if that doesn't work to put a stake in the ground for 2022," O'Neill said.

"The World Cup has been to America and Asia, and now it's going to Africa. The only area of the world that has missed out is the Pacific."
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #951
Mr. Maciek

2018 World Cup bid welcomed - AAP

Any bid for the 2018 World Cup finals will have the support of all state and territory governments, as well as the commonwealth, Prime Minister John Howard has said.

He said he briefly discussed the matter over dinner at The Lodge in Canberra on Thursday night.

"The bid has to come from Football Federation Australia- Frank Lowy and John O'Neill," he told Southern Cross Radio.

"What I'll indicate is that, if the football federation chooses to make a bid, all governments in Australia, the commonwealth and the state and territory governments will all support that bid and do everything we can collectively to help it come to a successful conclusion."

And state and territory leaders have joined the PM in backing the proposal.

The leaders, meeting in Canberra for the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) meeting, said they would back any moves for a World Cup bid forum, to be led by the Football Federation of Australia (FFA).

"It is the largest sporting event yet to be hosted in Australia, and the Socceroos' performance in Germany has generated enormous interest and support for the game," the leaders said in a joint statement.

"We look forward to assisting the FFA's development of a World Cup bid through discussion and planning around a range of issues including infrastructure, facilities and security."

"It is important that they are fully supported by all levels of government in developing their bid so that Australia has the best fully prepared bid to host the world's biggest sporting event."
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #952
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maciek
After this year's tournament in Germany, the 2010 World Cup has been awarded to South Africa, Brazil is a hot favourite for 2014 and there is speculation that London has been promised the next one.

"We would be very keen to give it a crack in 2018, and if that doesn't work to put a stake in the ground for 2022," O'Neill said.
funny how they called the whole of England as LONDON

i suppose London can host it if it really wanted 2
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #953
mrtocsin

2010 South Africa
2014 Brazil
2018 England
2022 Australia
2026 USA
2030 Italy
2034 China
2038 Argentina

Regards

Sepp Blatter.
mrtocsin no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #954
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

2026 USA?!?!?

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2006, 02:07 AM   #955
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
brazil
england
ha...We are in agrement here too...
cphdude no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #956
RSG

Likes (Received): 4

FIFA World Cup 2018 (Which Stadium)

The winner is Australia.... or is it.

Yesterday at the Commonwealth heads of state meeting, it was suggested that Australia could put in a bid to host the world cup in 2018.

We have a few problems though. Where would the final be held? Some would say at Telstra Stadium in Sydney (ex Olympic Stadium Australia), others would say the new revamped MCG or Testra Dome in Melbourne. The SA premier has said: "of course Adelaide should have the final" (yeah right). We have enough stadiums but are they up to scratch with what FIFA and the world would expect.

I have also heard that FIFA wants the cup to be held in Europe every 3rd cup so next we are in South Africa, then South America.

What about Australias crap increase in the world rankings. When we defeated Uraguay to get into the world cup, I was sure that we would a move up more spaces then they did, but they had a greater increase than us. I do believe you need to be in the top 32 nations to host the world cup due to automatic entry for host policy.

One thing is for sure, If Australia was to host the FIFA World Cup, it would be the greatest event in Australias history. That includes the 1956 and 2000 Olympic Games.

I understand this is the stadium area, so my main point is, do you think Australia has enough decent stadiums to host the cup. I have a list here that I believe are large enough to hold games.

We have:

Telstra Stadium - Sydney 83 500 capacity

Aussie Stadium - Sydney 42 000 capacity

Sydney Cricket Ground - Sydney 44 000 capacity

Melbourne Cricket Ground - Melbourne 100 000 capacity

Telstra Dome - Melbourne 56 300 capacity

Princess Park - Melbourne 35 000 capacity
[

GABBA - Brisbane 42 000 capacity

Suncorp Stadium - Brisbane 52 500 capacity

Subiaco Oval - Perth 43 000 capacity

AAMI Stadium - Adelaide 51 500 capacity

What do you think? Many of the stadiums are used for cricket or Aussie Rules football so thy might not be what a traditional soccer stadium would be like. The federal government would not build another stadium but they might pay for the upgrade of some. Telstra Stadium and Telstra Dome are very new and the MCG and Suncorp have been redevoloped recently. In the even of Asutralia getting the world cup, which stadium should it be held in?

Last edited by RSG; July 15th, 2006 at 04:11 PM.
RSG no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #957
Weebie

Likes (Received): 5

I disagree with our Stadiums and by the Time 2018 rolls around all our new stadiums will be out of date. I think Some people rate our AFL stadiums abit too highly.

But this is my list.

MCG(renovated)
Stadium Australia (renovated)
Suncorp(renovated)
Gold Coast (new stadium)
Perth (new stadium)
Adelaide (new stadium)
Canberra (new stadium)
Weebie no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #958
Elite
.:...:.||=||.:..:.

I think it is unlikely that we could get all the staduims renovated or new ones built (where would they play AFL or cricket?)
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #959
Weebie

They can take a back seat for a while.
Weebie no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #960
Weebie

Personally i;m not so keen on havign it in Australia i would rather Travel to a new country to experience the world cup its so much better and Worth the Money.
Weebie no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup