daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 16th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #981
Eureka!

Likes (Received): 24

It couldn't possibly be 10,000 could it???
Eureka! no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #982
pompeyfan

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite
I think it is unlikely that we could get all the staduims renovated or new ones built (where would they play AFL or cricket?)
They can accomodate that. They went a month with one stadium in Melbourne for the CG. They would at most have one stadium in Melbourne because Sydney would have the two.

As for cricket, it is not played in winter here

Keep up with my latest projects here
pompeyfan no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #983
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka!
Yeah I agree. I mean Londons going for what. It's 4th Olympics. thats more than Athens!!! Surely other nations should have a chance. Manchester recently hosted the commonwealth games. I would love to see Oz get it while im alive. It will. Canada I wouldn't mind. China's getting the olympics already. But I agree with whats above. Of course FIFA wants money and it has to have good stadiums and infrustructure but what about Switzerland or something. Belgium???
London's hosted the Olympics twice prior, the third being in 2012. Even if it's hosted it 20 times, it shouldn't really affect its chances at World Cup; they're quite different things.
samsonyuen no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #984
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
It couldn't possibly be 10,000 could it???
Going from the capacities and tickets on offer at this years WC I'd say its around 6-7,000 but I'd guess alot of that is tickets going to sponsors, FIFA execs, etc aswell.

Given the size of the country it would probabley make more sense for most of the big cities like Sydney, Melborne, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide to have two stadiums and host a group.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #985
Eureka!

Likes (Received): 24

You spelt Melbourne wrong lo. But isn't that against FIFA's rules??? And does Adelaide have two suitable stadiums???? Melbourne does and so does Sydney. Brisbanes got Suncorp and the Gabba. Perth has Subiaco and some new ones. Adealaide has the AAMI stadium but does it have another one?
Eureka! no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #986
MoreOrLess

Quote:
You spelt Melbourne wrong lo. But isn't that against FIFA's rules??? And does Adelaide have two suitable stadiums???? Melbourne does and so does Sydney. Brisbanes got Suncorp and the Gabba. Perth has Subiaco and some new ones. Adealaide has the AAMI stadium but does it have another one?
The rule limating the number of stadiums per city is I'd guess pretty flexable as long as FIFA are sure its not going to lead to bad PR. In Australia's case theres a pretty big gap in population between those cities and everything else(from 1 mil down to 300 k) with most of the other decent sized ones in the south east aswell.

As for Ovals being used I don't think FIFA would be very keen on most of them given the distance between the fans and the pitch. The Telstra Dome could get those moveble stands working again and the MCG has the capacity(plus they could temporarily drop the pitch level) but most of the others would not likely be usable.
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #987
RSG

Likes (Received): 4

The only other field that SA has that might be suitable is Adelaide Oval pictured here.

Seating capacity does not exceed the 40 000 that you would need.

The Cats home ground (Skilled Stadium) shown below

also does not have the seating capacity.

My list would be:

Telstra Dome
SFS
Telstra Stadium
MSG
GABBA
AAMI
Subiaco

How many stadiums do we need?
RSG no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #988
victory

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSG
My list would be:

Telstra Dome
SFS
Telstra Stadium
MSG
GABBA
AAMI
Subiaco

How many stadiums do we need?
MSG? Isn't that a drug?

Anyway, you need a minimum of 8 grounds. And only 1 city may have more than 2 stadiums.

My list:

- MCG - 98,000 - oval (Melbourne population=3.6million)
- Telstra Stadium - 83,000 - oval ends (Sydney 4.2mil)
- Suncorp Stadium - 52,500 - rectangle (Brisbane 1.8mil)
- New Perth Stadium or upgraded MES (rectangle) or upgraded Subiaco (oval)(Perth 1.5mil)
- Upgraded Hindmarsh Stadium (rectangle) or AAMI Stadium (oval) (Adelaide 1.1mil)

And

Either:
- Aussie Stadium - 42,000 - rectangle (Sydney)
- Telstra Dome - 56,000 - oval but retractable seating (Melbourne)

And

at least 2 of:
- Upgraded Canberra Stadium - rectangle (Canberra 0.37mil)
- Upgraded Energy Australia Stadium - rectangle (Newcastle 0.51mil)
- Upgraded Dairy Farmers Stadium or new Stadium - rectangle (Townsville 0.15mil)
- Upgraded Skilled Stadium - oval (Geelong 0.17mil)
- Upgraded Central Coast Stadium - rectangle (Gosford 0.16mil in total central coast)
- Upgraded Aurora Stadium - oval (Launceston 0.1mil)
- Upgraded WIN Stadium - rectangle (Woolongong 0.275mil)
- Upgraded Robina Stadium - rectangle (Gold Coast 0.48mil)
- Upgraded Bellrieve Oval or New Stadium - probably oval (Hobart 0.2mil)

The choice of which few would depend on how succesful the A-League is in Newcastle and the Central Coast in the next few years, and where abouts the league expands to in 5 years time.

Last edited by victory; July 16th, 2006 at 02:57 PM.
victory no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #989
Mr. Maciek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP
I think the most important consideration is that the World Cup should go to a country, or pair of neighbouring countries, that have the facilities (stadia, hotels, transport infrastructure) to do it justice, rather than being awarded simply because "it would be nice if one of those little countries had a go"...
well i wouldnt exactly say those countries are small, instead of already well established countries such as england, italy or spain getting every European world cup, it should be time the 'little' guys reep some of the economical benefits that major sporting events provide. and besides,new stadiums can be built, infrastructure can be improved, all it takes is abit of coinage and perhaps abit of faith, which many people are lacking in.
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #990
Mr. Maciek

lol, this just is'nt gonna work, how on earth do places like launceston,Gosford,Geeelong,Townsville,Newcastle etc play host to the biggest sporting even in the world.

if we do get the rights to host i beleive FIFA would be a hell lot more leanient on the 1 city only with 2 stadiums, unlike most other countries our population is centered in major cities and the rest is pretty much in the sticks.

-Sydney
-Melbourne
-Brisbane
-Adelaide
-Perth
-Canberra
-Gold Coast

those are the cities that should be hosting, as they are the only recognised cities of australia.
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #991
victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maciek
lol, this just is'nt gonna work, how on earth do places like launceston,Gosford,Geeelong,Townsville,Newcastle etc play host to the biggest sporting even in the world.

if we do get the rights to host i beleive FIFA would be a hell lot more leanient on the 1 city only with 2 stadiums, unlike most other countries our population is centered in major cities and the rest is pretty much in the sticks.

-Sydney
-Melbourne
-Brisbane
-Adelaide
-Perth
-Canberra
-Gold Coast

those are the cities that should be hosting, as they are the only recognised cities of australia.
- Launceston - within 1.5 hours driving time of most of the Tasmanian population
- Gosford - within 1 hrs driving time from Sydney. And has an A-League team with very strong local support
- Newcastle - Australia's 6th largest city, larger than Canberra and the Gold Coast. Home to a so far successful and popular A-League side. And within reasonable driving time from Sydney.
- Geelong - half an hours drive from western Melbourne. 1 hrs drive from Eastern Melbourne. Half an hours drive from the Surf coast.
- Townsville - A very large country town. The "capital" of Nth Queensland. 3.5 hours drive from the similarly sized Cairns.

Perhaps most importantly you must realize that for any game in the WC you would espect at least 20,000 fans coming from overseas. And for the largest sporting event in the world you are guarenteed sellouts.

Most of the Germany 2006 host cities were around or just under 500,000 people. Kaiserlautern has a population of under 100k.

The majority of the South African 2010 cities will be even smaller, and they have a severe shortage of infrastructure.

My proposal is very realistic.

The only problem, and its quite a big one, is that the NRL and AFL would not at all be happy to have such a drastic change on their schedules to allow both the month and a bit that the tournament takes and the weeks before hand that the venues must not be used for under FIFA regs.

Last edited by victory; July 16th, 2006 at 03:34 PM.
victory no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #992
MoreOrLess

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory
Perhaps most importantly you must realize that for any game in the WC you would espect at least 20,000 fans coming from overseas. And for the largest sporting event in the world you are guarenteed sellouts.

Most of the Germany 2006 host cities were around or just under 500,000 people. Kaiserlautern has a population of under 100k.
Kaiserlauten of course has the advanatge of being very close to many other urban areas with hotel accomodation which a good many smaller Australian cities wouldnt.

The minium number of stadiums for a WC bid is ten so I'd guess a bid would look roughly like this..
Telstra Stadium - Sydney - 82,000
Aussie Stadium - Sydney - 42,000
MCG - Melbourne - 100,000+
Telstra Dome - Melbourne - 56,000
New Western Australia Stadium - Perth - 60-70,000
New Rectangular Stadium - Adelaide - 50,000+
Suncorp Stadium Brisbane - 52,000
New Rectangular Stadium - Gold Coast - 40,000+
Upgraded/New Canberra Stadium - 40,000+
Upgraded Energy Australia Stadium - Newcastle - 40,000+

With possible additional stadiums in Hobart, Darwin and Perth(so a single group could be hosted there) to spread things out from the south east a little.
Old July 16th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #993
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess
Kaiserlauten of course has the advanatge of being very close to many other urban areas with hotel accomodation which a good many smaller Australian cities wouldnt.

The minium number of stadiums for a WC bid is ten so I'd guess a bid would look roughly like this..
Telstra Stadium - Sydney - 82,000
Aussie Stadium - Sydney - 42,000
MCG - Melbourne - 100,000+
Telstra Dome - Melbourne - 56,000
New Western Australia Stadium - Perth - 60-70,000
New Rectangular Stadium - Adelaide - 50,000+
Suncorp Stadium Brisbane - 52,000
New Rectangular Stadium - Gold Coast - 40,000+
Upgraded/New Canberra Stadium - 40,000+
Upgraded Energy Australia Stadium - Newcastle - 40,000+

With possible additional stadiums in Hobart, Darwin and Perth(so a single group could be hosted there) to spread things out from the south east a little.

i think its been stated like 987 times. the number of stadia required by FIFA is EIGHT.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #994
MoreOrLess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
i think its been stated like 987 times. the number of stadia required by FIFA is EIGHT.
First time I'v heard it although I havent been reading the 2010 thread much, still the fact the French went with 10 dispite a few of them being less than amazing tends to suggest a higher number is preffered.

Its not just national bias though when I say their unlikely to get 2018 if 2014 goes to Brazil as I can't see UEFA waiting 16 years for a WC.
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #995
MoreOrLess

Quote:
well i wouldnt exactly say those countries are small, instead of already well established countries such as england, italy or spain getting every European world cup, it should be time the 'little' guys reep some of the economical benefits that major sporting events provide. and besides,new stadiums can be built, infrastructure can be improved, all it takes is abit of coinage and perhaps abit of faith, which many people are lacking in.
Are those stadiums going to be used when the WC finishes though? Few if any nations that havent hosted the WC yet have the demand to use 8-12 40,000 seat stadiums. For these nations a european championships with 4-8 30,000+ stadiums is a much more realstic and probabley just as profitable venture.
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #996
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I don't think you need to be in the top 32 in rankings to host. I'm certain South Africa isn't, and I doubt South Korea and Japan were either.
samsonyuen no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #997
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
I don't think you need to be in the top 32 in rankings to host. I'm certain South Africa isn't, and I doubt South Korea and Japan were either.
i dont think your country even has to know how to play football seeing that south africa cant...they dont need a coach either seeing the south africa hasnt appointed a new one yet..
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #998
shah_476gb

Likes (Received): 15

i think u have to qualify once atleast to host it.....rest is upto fifa...
shah_476gb no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #999
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
wot ru talkin about? England have only hosted 1 world cup and that 40 bleedin years ago!!!!
Old July 17th, 2006, 04:28 AM   #1000
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Well, perhaps if the likes of Poland etc. drew up plans to build the necessary stadiums and develop the necessary infrastructure, they would become candidates. But until they do and until they are ready to bid for the World Cup, it is not FIFA's responsibility to force their hand.

And the question has to remain, why - other than hosting three or four World Cup games - would Poland build eight or ten new 40,000+ stadiums? The average attendance in the Polish top division over the past five years is about 5,000.
JimB no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup